Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Tiki Art of Slacks Ferret- Kanaloa Kannibal Mug Glaze Tests on Page 12.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 188 replies

H
Helz posted on Sat, Oct 14, 2006 10:41 AM

Love the aged look! I'll have to have you give me the skinny on how you did it once I get a few more cranked out. Awsome work!

Just to show you how bad this tiki obsession of mine is...I'm posting pics of my last yard project.

It's pretty much impossible to grow palms here in Calgary, but I really wanted one to help give the backyard a tropical feel, and I didn't want it to seem fake..so I made this one.

F

How did you make that palm? That is too cool. Also any advice on the "calcium treatment" you mentioned?

Hey thanks for the nice words Frostiki. The palm tree is (essentially) a carved log with a real fern sitting on it. Then I wrapped the pot that the fern sits in with burlap. It's been up over a month and still looks great in the backyard. Everyone who comes over comments on it. It's pretty cool to hear their postive comments. As for the "calcium treatment"...well that's basically rubbing calcium dust (aka chalk dust) over the carving. Olds it up real nice.

Here is a picture of my most recent creation: "The Birth of Pele". This work, of course, is based on Sandro Botticelli's "The Birth of Venus" but I've switched out the figures to make it more tikiriffic. Sorry for the crappy pic:

Thanks

Hey Slacks - that looks like a masterpiece..... How big is it???? Maybe do a Mona Lisa hula painting next? :)

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-09-07 00:12 ]

Very Cool Slacks!
Great approach to an Old Classic!
Seeing as you're sort of a Renaissance Man,Botticelli was a perfect choice!
Any plans in the future for a Tikified "Garden of Earthly Delights" by Bosch?
That would be CRAAAAZAAAAAY!

Very well done slackers!
Man that would make a kickin' mural in a restaraunt or next to a pool or ANYWHERE!
Way tah sling that paint.

Snicky Ticky

Thanks guys. It's always nice to hear positive comments from talented artists that I respect and admire.

Sam, the painting is only 2 feet x 3 feet. I'm starting to realize that I need to work smallish to medium. I've got limited studio space and it's gonna get much smaller once I frame-in the tiki room for my basement. So... gone are the days of the 4 foot x 8 foot canvases of art school. Gone, for now, anyway.

LLT: I love the idea of a tiki-fied "Garden of Earthly Delights" Bosch painting. Especially if it were done as a folding alterpiece. That would rock.

I think, if given the challenge...a Tikified version of Brueghel's Triumph of Death would be Uber-bitchenlicious! But the garden of earthly delights....a foldout altarpiece fer sure! Like the missionaries would bring this jacked-up crazy painting to the natives to convert them!

B

Great stuff Slax, really love the way you changeed things from the original, Nice upgrades!

This weekend Tiki A. Moaikingbird & I were in Calgary and paid Slacks a visit at the city-run arts centre where he works. We got a tour of the facilities...

...and as an unexpected bonus got to see The Birth of Pele hanging in a staff art show.

The Birth of Pele! Way Swanky cool!
U lucky dog!

K
Kahu posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2008 6:47 AM

Just wanted to say, nice paintings. Did you ever do a print of the Tiki's playing poker? Any new carvings to share?

Slacks Sweet art my friend looking fwd to seeing more,Aloha Mooney

Here's a glimpse at the cover of my cocktail menu:

I was attempting to capture a vintage graphic feel...more pages will follow as I (slowly) get 'em done.
Lemme know what you think.

Hopefully I'll get the basement lounge up and running by April 2009! Fingers Crossed!

Knockout job - real vintage look. Very authentic, if you said it was vintage, Id've believed you.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Dec 29, 2008 11:18 PM

GROG like.

Thanks for the postitive feedback fellas. Great to hear from a couple of artists who's talents I respect.

Please note, I'm also open to constructive criticism. Initially, there wasn't alot of feedback, so I was beginning to wonder if this just was too far off base for most tiki tastes...

[ Edited by: slacks ferret 2009-01-16 09:39 ]

I am lovin the Menu cover Slacks!! It looks very Old School, great job!!

Great job! Man, I can't get over how many amazingly creative humans, ( & rodents), there are on TC!

That's fantastic Slacks!
I love the colour choices.

Here is a PNG inspired lamp that I've been working on:

I made the tapa and the masks are made from clay out of a press mold I found.

Question for the lamp-makers around here (Tikiskip? Kahaka?): I want to cover the bottom with a (tapa-like) paper I've already picked out, but if I glue it on, I'll have denied myself access to the bulb, which will eventually need to be changed. I really can't access the bulb from the top. What should I do with the bottom so I can have it covered, but also removable so it can provide access to change the bulb? Hinged door? Clipped in place? I'm hoping there's a simple solution.

M
Moki posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 10:03 PM

Nice work Slacks!! And you made your own tapa? Impressive!

Try velcro for fastening the bottom.

Yeah Velcro! Brilliant Moki! Thanks. I knew it would pay to ask the old pro tiki lamp-makers like yourself. The lamps you guys made for your home bar are so very awesome...

Slacks, what about a covered zipper.

Im thinking hinged with a hook or fastner on one side just like you said in your post.

Cool design on the side panel.

sweet lamp Slacks!

there needs to be more PNG-inspired lamps and decor!

The Kanaloa Lounge so far:

So far, I have walls (with drywall), electricity, and the plumbing (for my bar sink) is roughed-in. The floor is more or less finished (prolly still needs a protective coating), and I'm at the point now where I need to build the actual bar next...

Here are some progress shots of the floor in my future tiki room:

Half the floor has already been finished at this point, but I had to start over fresh for the other side. Such is the joy of completing a room that's not completely empty.

Putting down the tape.

Cutting the tape so it's more organic in appearance.

I only applied one coat of rolled-on cement floor paint. But then I added some "special treatments" to create a more realistic effect.

Here's the floor more or less finished.

Hooray!

[ Edited by: slacks ferret 2009-04-19 06:57 ]

L

That foor came out awesome. Lookin good!

I like!

That is a nice lamp.
What I do in that case is
make a frame for the bottom tapa part.
Then afix tapa.
Make this so it will slide in and out nicely.
Then all I do is make pins out of rattan to hold in place.

The floor looks great! and Concrete paint, great idea for durability, wow!

Amy

Love it. Inspiring. Great texture on the floor. Any updates? :)

Thanks for the nice comets!

I do have a small photo update, and I'll post it very soon.

Been working on getting the back counter to the bar completed. I'm kinda going at it blind here...but oddly, I feel self-assured that my construction is still better than the particle board pre-fab counters you can purchase at the big box hardware outlets.

Of course, I know this isn't very thrilling to look at, but believe me, it's thrilling for me to finally be starting this bar.

More will follow as it's completed...

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2009-05-01 20:17 ]

More progress on the bar area:

Some lighting/other parts of the room before anything is finished:

BK

Looking good, Slacks! Very similar location for the bar as mine. I'm still trying to work out the deatils. Keep us posted.

Looking fantastic Mr. Ferret! That bar is going to be great (and looks nice and solid). I hope my floor can look half as cool as yours.
Most sincerely,
Sir Pupu of Pants

Thanks folks. I'm very interested in seeing the progress in your tiki rooms as well. Maybe you should add some new photos tonight?
Here's some more shots of my bar/tiki room:

Bar is pretty much done now...(except for staining/painting and finishing off with bamboo, etc.)...but everything is assembled. I'm thinking I wanna go with tapa-patterned ceramic tile for the bar-top. That step will likely take a while, as I need to glaze the patterns myself.

Nice work Slacks! Expecting great things here.

Zulu

bump

It's looking good. I think I see several unique feature, which is always a plus. Keep rollin'.

Haven't had a heckuvalota time to work on the bar since our latest child was born in late July...
But here's a progress shot of the mural I started behind the bar. This is only about one-fifth of the way done:

P

wondered where you got off to slacks appleseed. looks good.

On 2009-04-18 14:07, Slacks Ferret wrote:

What's your plan on this pole? Real or Mock Bamboo perhaps? I was just thinking that a floor to ceiling lamp might be an interesting choice...

The mural is terrific-o! The floor is very nice - I've never seen that before.

Mahalo gents! I really hope to make some significant progress during my holiday break.

Freddie, I think I'm gonna turn the pole into a palm tree. But I've also entertained the idea of wrapping it in a nautical-ish rope. The bamboo idea is a good one too...hmmm.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 188 replies