Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Tiki Art of Slacks Ferret- Kanaloa Kannibal Mug Glaze Tests on Page 12.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 188 replies

I was thinking about you stealing a page from Mr Pu-Pu Pants and making a tapa-pattern pole cover from 1x6 boards:

But instead of the leaf/flower pattern replace that with plunge-routed Hibiscus flowers, or just plunge-rout out the leaf/flower patterns, and put various colored cel inserted into them, then wrap the pole with twinkling rope lights and assemble the pole cover around this. This will give you a lamp that gives off more atmosphere than light, basically just enough light so you won't walk into it.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2009-12-10 17:35 ]

That's a great idea. Who knows?..I may steal it. Thanks!

The last few months I've been working (slowly) on making tapa patterned tiles for my bar top(s). These are the last of the bunch to come out of the kiln before I "lei" them this Xmas holiday.

I'm still not exactly sure how I'm gonna place them... but I figure I'll play around with what I've got.

Stay Tuned

The tiles are wonderful. Great project!

YES!....now thats thinkin !
Calgary scratches the ol' nogin deep huh ?
Thats gonna look awsome ....

Beautiful tiles!

The tiles are in place and grout has been added. Now I just need to add the "backsplash" tile:

I added some bamboo, some routered baseboards and I got most if the lauhala up on the walls:

I hope to have other updates soon. Mahalo.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Dec 30, 2009 12:44 PM

Good job, Slacker.

Thanks Grog.

Here's some more progress shots:

Mural is getting closer to about half-way done.

The bar sink in place (but not yet functional). Back-splash tiles are now lei'd.Bar top just needs edging now.

The soffit is now ready for it's "tapa cloth" covering. Unfortunately, it won't be real tapa, just something I make on paper...Unless someone wants to send me a 14 foot long by 8 foot wide piece for real cheap (or free). hardy har har.

H

Nice job, your mural is coming along just fine. Keep us posted.

lookin good!!! this place is gonna be sweet when ur dun!!! cant wait to see it in all its glory!!! cheerz!!

T

WOW! Amazing work! Those tiles are incredible... every tiki bar should have some! The mural is coming along nicely too... can't wait to see it completed!

K

I dig those tiles too... looks like your place is coming along! Lookin' good.

Thanks for all the props hiltiki, Big Tiki Scott, Tobunga and Kahaka!

Hey Kahaka, did you see your lamp there in the foreground of that last photo? (Well a partial shot of it anyway...) I believe that's the first lamp you made using real tapa...but I could be wrong. It's an honour for me to have it. And one day, I'll collect others from you (and a few other master lamp makers too).

Here's a few other progress shots:

Routering a famous face.

Wood panel installed

With some of the routered mouldings around the door frame...

Which are similar to the routered mouldings around the windows...

Still very much a work in progress:

Mahalo for looking folks!

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-02-01 19:52 ]

SWEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!! I CANT WAIT TO HAVE A WHOLE ROOM TO DEVOTE TO TIKI!!!! this is realy gonna be awsome !!! great work on this room!!! cant wait for the finish!!! cheerz!!!

this is really an exciting build ...congrats !
Cant wait to see more!

Thanks Tikiville. I'm sure you'll get a chance to experience it first hand, as your just a short 3 hour drive away...

Here's a few more progress shots. Please pardon the mess I produce as I'm pushing along...

Above the bar, I'm still not sure what the hell I'm gonna do here. I expect some combination of thatch:

Wooden edge pieces of the bar are routered and about to be stained in this shot:

I had the most challenges with the curved sections:

Did a bit of work on the mural too:

Added some lauhala to the side of the bar:

Here's a shot of the mess (and the mural, bar edging and lauhala).

Still lots more to do! Mahalo for lookin'!

Is that an INVITE!
Well I'll gas up the RUMbus! lol
Cant believe the depth that this job of yours is taking,really gonna be "the" place in this neck of the woods huh?
Let me know when ya get to the stage where ya need some masks for your walls!
( we'll work something out)

Im diggin the curves on that bar...

keep it coming

TZ

WOW. That pretty much sums it up.

Looking great. You're certainly packing plenty of detail into it.

Dang Slacks!
The mural...the tapa tiles...
you went all-out on this!
Beautiful!
Love to check in here and watch the evolution!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 10, 2010 9:38 AM

Looing great Slacker, keep it up.

Looking mighty fine, Slacks! Mighty fine! When you're sending invites for the grand opening, don't forgot mine!

It's looking so incredible Slacks! You're doing a fabulous job. I love the tiles on the bar, bamboo trim and matting, and especially the mural! I can't wait to see it done, but the progression shots are great too.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the comments everyone. I really appreciate the encouragement.

I just spent the long weekend working on the lounge so I should have some updated progress shots very soon. Just as soon as my camera software co-operates...

Looking great! Love those tapa tiles.

Some more progress shots:

Added some "organically shaped" shelving (for mugs of course!) that trims the top of the walls. Then I added some bamboo behind it.

I added some tapa cloth and matting above the bar. Still needs thatch though...but I'm not gonna add that until I have my special lighting installed.

I added a strip of "specially treated" paper to the soffit. You can see it close to the wall. I'm gonna stamp it with tapa patterns to create my own tapa cloth.

Best update I have is that the mural is done! (Is a mural ever done?..the answer is...yes! Sometimes!...err...I might add a bit to it later...)

That's all for now...

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Feb 18, 2010 8:20 AM

Dang Slacks!

go man, go!!

The mural is beautiful. I wish my home was the A-frame on that lagoon :wink:

Can't wait to see what you do for mood lighting :)

Hey, Awesome job Slacks!! Everything is looking great and your Curves are really nice! :wink: It's really cool to see how another build goes especially one that looks like you have free range to do everything you want.
Keep the updates coming and keep up the great work!!

Mahalo, TabooDan

On 2010-02-19 10:32, TabooDan wrote:
Hey, Awesome job Slacks!! Everything is looking great and your Curves are really nice! :wink: It's really cool to see how another build goes especially one that looks like you have free range to do everything you want.
Keep the updates coming and keep up the great work!!

Mahalo, TabooDan

Thanks TabooDan. Right back atcha.

A few more photos:

Here's the rock wall/bottle shelf in progress

With a bottle:

With a lighting test:

Fake home-made tapa cloth going up over the soffit:

Just needs to be stamped now...

All I can say is that your pad ROCKS! ( get it ...lol)
The work your doing is jaw dropping,
this is really something, keep posting shots!

I'm posting updates to the tiki lounge on the "Home Tiki Bars" forum now:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35709&forum=20&6

Some various glaze tests of the Kanaloa Kannibal mug. I've been (shamefully) working on this guy for about 6 years (off and on...well... "off" mostly).

Do you have a favourite? I know I do. There's also some here that I think are pretty bad. Any thoughts? I'd like to know which one(s) you like most:

T

I like the Tiki Tony Tabou Room Green and the oil covered mug that is second from the right.

T

I like the Tiki Tony Tabou Room Green and the oil covered mug that is second from the right.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 26, 2011 10:33 AM

This one get GROG' vote.

Grog and I agree, the detail shows so well in this glaze, Wendy

But I did like the one that is 2nd from the right on the first photo too.

T

the Tiki Tony Tabou Room Green is the color pictured above

And I agree with Wendy that yeah, most detail.

Finally Slacks!
I dig the second from the right.
Congrats and hopefully will not be another 6 years before you make another

New tiki:

It's fun that the crack is really in the very best place artistically. Love the mural. Wendy

Thanks Wendy! And thanks all to everyone who expressed their opinions on the mugs (even though that was over 2 years ago now)!

Here's another angle of the grey tiki:

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2013-09-26 13:05 ]

I guess you'll be selling it for cheap since it's cracked. :P

Pages: 1 2 3 4 188 replies