Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hal'e Tiki secrets

Pages: 1 2 52 replies

CA

the lost secrets of Hal'e Tiki.....

a once thriving swank pad with an Oriental/mid-Eastern flavor... tapestry and pillow play ground... the old digs of Hal'e Tiki became quite in disarray... bar Flypaper as it were....

Still it was with much regret that I helped cover up these beauties painted onto the wallpaper...

they remind me of a 'paint by numbers' mural my Grandfather did of a Japanese landscape long long ago... forties or fifties maybe...

Not that BC-Brad needs any more headaches in the next few weeks...
But the question is this....
Do these original light fixtures stay or go???????

Brad was hoping to preserve some of the original decor... but he has been catching a lot of shit for it...

so is it Yea' or Nay'

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2004-03-14 22:49 ]

LOL!!!! Someone is feeling better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say Nay, unless they are retained and "tikified" with a thatch skirt or some other method... they look like they belong in King Arthur's castle...

C

What Lake said.

I plead the fifth.

S

Exactly. Either give them a thatch hat or lose them for something better...

S
SES posted on Mon, Mar 15, 2004 4:02 AM

They need improving!

Off with their heads!

B

The lights are just not complete yet. once they have been "Tikified" (lakesurfer)they will be fine. Right now they are wires, frames, bulbs and switches with no life.
Wake them up.

T

Anything authentic midcentury like the lamps mixes well with Tiki style in my opinion. What a shame the riders are such a different theme! I was wondering about it when I saw the coat of arms sign on the exterior, now it makes sense.
You should reserve a little artefacts/shrine corner to the initisal incarnation, with a matchbook or so, and a pic of the logo...
For "Conquistador Road Trip".

S

Since you asked.

I think it is ALWAYS best to incorporate as much of the original fixtures as possible ( for a house, business, etc). It lends a certain authenticity that can't be replicated with "new" items. They of course have their rightful place also.

New is not always better.

And years from now, on Middle Eastern Conquistador Central, there's going to be a discussion about the lamented covering of the mural at the old Insert-Original-Name-Here in Augusta, GA. Does it still exist under there? Did they just cover it up, or paint right over it? Did anyone get any photos of it? Were prints ever made, and how much do they go for on eBay?

The Covarrubias of the South will be become collectable indeed.

How do we know those light fixtures were the original ones anyways?

T

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I dig the lamps! You gotta keep something from the old place. I like them, they have a certain 'je ne sais quoi'. They match with the decor quite nicely, in my opinion. And it's not like you're short on tiki decor elsewhere... no one is going to walk in, see the lamps, and say 'hey, I thought this was a tiki bar - I must have walked into Medieval Tymes by accident!'

Well, some smartass might, but not this smartass.

[ Edited by: tikifish on 2004-03-15 09:57 ]

I like 'em. While they're not Overly drippin' with Tiki goodness, they do look like upside down torches. Either way, I like 'em.

-Z

Mainly they just need the old, brittle wiring replaced to make them safe again (especially in light of the fact they they could, er..."light up" the place in more ways than one in their current condition).

I'd keep them there too. Had we not seen the horses on the wall or the crest outside, the lights might have just been considered to be unique instead of medieval-looking. They have lots of character and historic quality to them - and they would harmonize well with polynesian decor.

I'm all for filling them with candy and beating them like a pinata....they gotta go!!!

Matt

They're pretty ugly, but that said, any time I see someone ripping out something old and authentic - whether it suits my taste or not - I cringe.

Most of us here on TC are preservationists to one degree or another. Imagine how we'd feel if that was a Tiki mutal that was covered up, or Tiki lamps that were about to be trashed. We'd collectively freak!

One of the reasons that many of us prefer vintage Tiki to neo-Tiki is because of the sense of histroy you can feel when you walk into the best vintage Tiki bars.

Some Tiki palaces, such as Alibi in Portland, have been standing, in their pre-Tiki manifestations, since the 19th century. When hints of that history poke through the Tiki, it is a special thing.

I am a Tiki purist, but I think in this case a little bit of historical preservation over-rides the need to be 100% Tiki.

99.5% Tiki will do. Keep the lamps.

S

The lights behind the bar are staying. They are perfect. These, no.

I forged Shag's name and dated it 1985 on the mural before we put up the tapa/lauhala. There are "other secrets" in the walls too, for the 100th tiki generation to find.

I am going to try to find a way to keep the lights. I know that they are not tiki, but I like them (Tikifish put it best). The Amber glass hanging in each of them is great. I am sure that when everything is finished that the lights along the two walls will not even be noticed. I have not made a final choice yet but I am going to try to keep them.

BtB

That arguement can go both ways really....is it possible those lamps were not "original" to the building but were installed during a particular phase of occupation in the building?

If you were restoring a 50's home and there was a light fixture that obviously was put in during the 1970's would you keep it?

Old does not always equal good in my opinion. Save em' and sell em' on ebay.

On 2004-03-15 11:55, tikibars wrote:
They're pretty ugly, but that said, any time I see someone ripping out something old and authentic - whether it suits my taste or not - I cringe.

Most of us here on TC are preservationists to one degree or another. Imagine how we'd feel if that was a Tiki mutal that was covered up, or Tiki lamps that were about to be trashed. We'd collectively freak!

One of the reasons that many of us prefer vintage Tiki to neo-Tiki is because of the sense of histroy you can feel when you walk into the best vintage Tiki bars.

Some Tiki palaces, such as Alibi in Portland, have been standing, in their pre-Tiki manifestations, since the 19th century. When hints of that history poke through the Tiki, it is a special thing.

I am a Tiki purist, but I think in this case a little bit of historical preservation over-rides the need to be 100% Tiki.

99.5% Tiki will do. Keep the lamps.

The third story of this building burned in 1967 and the bottom two floors were rebuilt after that. These lights were put in in 1967-68 after the fire. The restaurant was called the Chateau with the lounge part of it being called the Zanadu Lounge. Everything in the place is from that remodeling in 1967-68.

BtB

M

What was in there before it became the Chateau?

From the first time we set foot into the building the lights were surely going to be keepers. We have found some replacement amber crystals and they are going to look awesome. The photos that C'Al has posted do not do the lamps justice. In the ambiance of the tiki bar you will not even see the black shade it is black and just sinks into the background all you will notice is just the glow from the lamp reflecting through the amber. Trust me they are beautiful.

Jules

I like the old lamps.

JT

I say tie them onto the bumper of an old pick-up truck with a long rope and drag them
through the streets of Augusta for all to revile and mock.

Kids! I am shocked at how some of you so easily forget to honor the creed of Urban Archeology, by acting like being the only ones who know what is beautiful, or fitting! That is exactly what the previous generation (and many people to this day) thought of Tiki style, obliterating every trace of the "ugly". What did Picasso say about"Good Taste"? Are we ever to learn from the mistakes of our parents?
To me, ANY authentic, not mass-produced, faithful-to-a-theme environs are unique and worth being preserved. Nobody will ever manufacture these lamps again (now that's a relief, might some of you joke)...(then again, I NEVER in my life would have thought that they would make Tiki Soap-On-A-Rope again, and all the other stuff!), and the lamps do carry on the Chateau theme by looking like jousting tents, or knights hats, in a 60s "Fleur de Lille" sort of way. If they would be huge rod iron chandeliers I would object to them because they would alter the atmosphere of the place, but the Amber resin or glass beads totally speak of the 60s period.
And Tiki bars always were receptacles of all kinds of flotsam and jetsam washed ashore from the urban sea, granted mostly, but not neccesarily always South Seas island related.

Let the Hale Tiki treat it's history with respect, not hide it in embarrassment.

C

Ok, point taken, store them safely onsite if you do take them down. I'm not for removing artifacts from the premises or trashing them, unless they have owls on them.

T

Funny, everyone says they look medieval, but to me, they look Middle Eastern. I like 'em too. Not strictly tiki, but EXOTIC!

S
SES posted on Mon, Mar 15, 2004 8:14 PM

My biggest concern is are they safe?
They look sort of hazardous to me.

What are they made out of? Can they be taken down and worked on? Maybe incorporate some sort of tiki faces into them so the light shines through the eyes/nose/mouth?

...../
|...[_]...|

---------

Not so easy to sketch this way! lol...
I'm just not seeing the archival history value on these that the others seem to AND I do like medieval stuff but these do nothing for me! They do look more arabian nights and haremish.
:wink:

new nom de plume the artist formerly known as SES

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-03-15 20:17 ]

My head sure liked them!

Arrrrrrrrr!!!

After slamming into them about 1000 times, losing some hair and shedding a little scalp skin, we (the lamps and I) kinda got to know each other!!! Hey! If the TC crowd gets unruly at the TC-Hale Tiki Grand Opening, I'm sure you could rip a few down and use them for riot control!! (highly unlikely unless we show up!!) Arrr!? If you do take em' down, save the middle one on the left side so when we get back there, I can take it out back and beat the crap out of it!!!

S

These we keep, the others, no.

S
SES posted on Mon, Mar 15, 2004 9:56 PM

On 2004-03-15 21:14, RevBambooBen wrote:
After slamming into them about 1000 times, losing some hair and shedding a little scalp skin,

LOL... maybe they have a head hunter connection after all?
:)

S
SES posted on Mon, Mar 15, 2004 9:57 PM

These we keep, the others, no.

I like the ones behind the bar! That takes care of the token remnant keepsake right?

On 2004-03-15 15:28, bigbrotiki wrote:
Kids! I am shocked at how some of you so easily forget to honor the creed of Urban Archeology, by acting like being the only ones who know what is beautiful, or fitting! That is exactly what the previous generation (and many people to this day) thought of Tiki style, obliterating every trace of the "ugly". What did Picasso say about"Good Taste"? Are we ever to learn from the mistakes of our parents?
To me, ANY authentic, not mass-produced, faithful-to-a-theme environs are unique and worth being preserved. Nobody will ever manufacture these lamps again (now that's a relief, might some of you joke)...(then again, I NEVER in my life would have thought that they would make Tiki Soap-On-A-Rope again, and all the other stuff!), and the lamps do carry on the Chateau theme by looking like jousting tents, or knights hats, in a 60s "Fleur de Lille" sort of way. If they would be huge rod iron chandeliers I would object to them because they would alter the atmosphere of the place, but the Amber resin or glass beads totally speak of the 60s period.
And Tiki bars always were receptacles of all kinds of flotsam and jetsam washed ashore from the urban sea, granted mostly, but not neccesarily always South Seas island related.

Let the Hale Tiki treat it's history with respect, not hide it in embarrassment.

Preach it, Monsignor!

S
SES posted on Mon, Mar 15, 2004 10:06 PM

Okay that settles it... pack them up and mail them to bigbrotiki!

On 2004-03-15 15:28, bigbrotiki wrote:

I'm confused! If it doesn't have a tiki on it it's not tiki? If it's tiki but doesn't have a palm tree on it or paint, it's not Tommy Buffet? Now, If it's Medival and in Hale Tiki 660 Broad St. Agusta Georgia 30901 the newest "old school tiki bar in the good ol' usa", it's flotsom history?
No way man! Those things are cast iron and in no way would they float! Trust me and my bumped and chizzeld head. Unless some pumped up albratros teradactle (sp?) carried them from Pompai!!!Lava!!! Man, I'm still dizzie!!

p.s. who's this BigBro anyway???

(hefe dunkel please!!)

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2004-03-15 23:48 ]

T

Turbogod - although I disagree with Emporor Titus' decision, that is the funniest picture post I have seen in months... I was laughing so hard! I forgot to give you props for that earlier...

T

Thanks Tikifish. While I don't really like the first set of lamps (all I can think about is the scene in "The Cable Guy" at Medieval Times...“There was no silverware in medieval times, therefore there is no silverware at Medieval Times! More Pepsi?”). I do agree w/ susane & swanky on the ones behind the bar. My 2 cents for what it's worth = 2 cents :)

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-03-16 08:57 ]

Aloha Gang,

Given the schedule of so many folks I have set the “Special TC Grand Opening of Hale Tiki” for May 20th-22nd. The two big nights will be Friday the 21st and Sat the 22nd.

I will get Ramada Hotel info up on the website very soon. The airport code for Augusta Georgia is AGS. Atlanta (ATL) is only two hours away on I-20 and Columbia SC (COL) is only one hour away on I-20.

All of this will be posted soon on http://www.haletiki.com

I hope to see all of you there.

Mahalo,

BtB

Okay...after a good, hard second look in person(and with a coherent, fluid, and rested mind which I did not have last week) my opinion is these lamps are(1)-Most importantly- nightmarishly not safe and (2) Not tiki...not even a little. Run down tenement in the Bronx, yes. Upscale, well-outfitted tiki bar, no. My up-close opinion.

B

So we have a Formal "Drop the Lights" Ceremony and take the lights to the basement where they are to be interred until further time when they may be repaired and re-assembled for Future use.

Perhaps they could still serve a pupose even if not used as inteded. I mean, it might be a good idea to have at least one "ceremonial" drink service (such as accompanies the service of a Mystery Drink at the Mai Kai or a Blood and Sand at the Tiki Ti) and you could work one of these monstrosities into the pageantry (bang on a log with it or rig it to fire confetti or something). That way you can Keep them and Get Rid of them at the same time. Through creativity, all problems can be solved.

K

I'd like to see them preserved, but modified to an extent that they are correct atmospherically speaking, yet easily converted back to their original state.

I should think that a band of tapa and a bamboo ring attached at the bottom would complete the form by disguising the medeival looking cutaways, but still allow for the nice auburn glow through the cloth.

In addition, if several small bamboo rods were attached radially and running in parallel from the cord junction to just over the edge of the conic shape (like the end of a fishtrap) you would get a very nice beachcomber lamp for little effort.

Elmer's glue would suffice for all this, and it could be disolved in warm water if for some reason you should ever wish to restore them.

Ahu

Aloha Gang,

I love you all and respect the many and varied opinions; however, the lights are staying. First and foremost because I like them. Second, they are from the 1967 remodeling. We have replaced all of the amber crystals and they really do look good. They are safe, up to code and allow me to keep some of the swank from the old Zanadu Lounge that was in there originally.

I am sorry that they are not fake frosted fish net floats (like Trader Vics has in Atlanta) but they are my choice for lighting right now.

Have no fear Tiki freaks everywhere, there will be many other ceiling clutter lights that add to the overall atmosphere.

I assure you a trip to Hale Tiki will be worth it even if the lights are not constructed from drift-wood, Tapa cloth, and hemp rope.

Mahalo,

BtB

Pages: 1 2 52 replies