Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kahiki Moon....the Story

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies

Poor representation, but something like this:

Sabu

R

On 2004-05-13 07:17, mattfink wrote:
Why don't you help out the Kahiki Moon with your all powerful insight instead of pontificating on how much you know about the restaurant biz and the hard work involved?

That was the point of spend the time posting what I did, including recommending taking on a restaurant management job to learn the ropes. I certainly mean ABSOLUTELY no ill will to his endevour, but I can't just pour knowledge into his head. "There is no antidote to ignorance than experience." But just because I gave my professional opinion and it isn't what you all want to hear is no reason to be so rude. I have nothing more to say on the matter, but the best of luck with your endevour I HOPE it is a success!

R

You nay sayers can go jump in the lake!

With that said I feel like I should nip any further poop slinging in the bud. I have two other partners in this venture. One partner has 30 years experience in the restaurant industry and currently runs 4 successful restaurants in the surrounding area. The second partner is a well known and adored promoter in town. He has booked 100's of awesome bands and acts to our small town. The third partner is me. Me, if I do say so meself, am a successful businessman and I have had lots of experence putting projects together and then managing them $UCCE$$FULLY. This project will prove to be similar to previous ones and requires me to put together a good team (starting with the partners) and to work very hard. I am also an experienced carpenter, computer programmer/network engineer, professional DJ, audio engineer and graphic/web designer.

Actually I will go jump in the South Pacific Ocean very soon! :wink: With those sort of partners it is a VERY different story indeed and I THINK (and hope) you should fair very well! ALL THE BEST! The logo certainly looks kewl!

Mahalo RT!

I am almost ready to post some more updated pics. A LOT has happened since the last batch.

Go for it Bro. Take the risk, live the dream. I would rather pursue a passion and have it fail then sit in my cubicle for the rest of my life.

By the way, I sit in a cubicle now.

Monkeyman

AK

What time is the opening and what are the odds of getting in? I know a lot of locals who are eager to cehck it out.

Aloha AK!

June 18 is the opening shindig, mostly family and friends from 8 - 10 and then we will open the doors. Probably the earlier you get here the better. Hope to see you there.

****Anyone else planning on attending,especially from out of town should Personal Message me here so I can write you name on the list.

Here's four burlaps I just completed for the Kahiki Moon. They are 12" x 42". Shutterfly cropped them weird and the photo doesn't do them justice but here they are anywho.

K

I posted one of the first things I did for the Kahiki Moon. So I thought I would post one of the last. The rest is a surprise that Primo Kimo can share. This is Miles Thompsons design that that I carved on to cedar.

Flounder, Keigs,...too cool for words, guys!

T
TNTiki posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2004 3:32 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:26 ]

UB

On 2004-06-08 13:33, keigs20 wrote:

Hey Kiegs!
Show your tiki in the background some respect, and mow that damn jungle so you can see him! :)
Excellent artwork guys!

K

Thanks for the compliments. I know Primo is going to do a great job decorating and cant wait to see the completed Kahiki Moon. Flounder great paintings as always. Unga - my first day back to reality from carving for over a month straight and here you go putting ideas into my wifes head. (HA) Does this look better. There is a fish pond in there somewhere but the irises are taking over.
This was a piece of driftwood we found at the beach cabin. Until Bill , me and my wife decided to take a chainsaw to it. Kind of a group carving. One of the first we did.

Grand Opening Update

Aloha mi amigos!

The Grand Opening Celebration with the Fisherman's Trio has been postponed. The city will not be able to meet to officially approve our liquor license for a week or two. An unfortunate but all too common fact of business today were it typically takes 3 - 4 months to get pemits and such together. No problem though.... buys me some more time to get the place tricked out.

***** Most likely we can swizzle to the Fisherman back here by the end of July ******

I want to thank everyone who has provided their awesome work and materials to the Kahiki Moon. I am pretty certain it will be the most reasonably authentic tiki bar on the east coast (north of Sauguss, of course.) Yesterday we installed the antiqued-leather (vinyl) wrap-around booth seating in the dining room and lounge... I slept on it last night.

Well, I suppose I will take some pics and post 'em soon...

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2004-06-13 15:37 ]

K

good god i know not how you can organize such a lot of permitting and coding...our gas went out this morning and here i am with no shower and i cry clammy in my basement waiting for the quiming gas man! you are more than human!

Proud of you, Numbah One! Having enough setbacks in Chicago, so I'm going to can it here and am looking for sites in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill Area of NC...should be good...Anyway I can help with menu ideas, let me know... Grey

On 2004-06-08 17:35, keigs20 wrote:
Unga - Does this look better.

He definitely looks a lot happier.

A

Hi--very excited about Kahiki Moon opening. Do you remember when Koala Mauna was where Denny's is now on shelburne rd? Wish I had pictures of that place. I have a few left over fake tropical plants from a job and would gladly donate them to the cause. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested and I'll bring them by. Good luck!

Aloha TC:
Here are the pics I promised a few times. The place is much more dialed in than these pics show.

The Kahiki Moon will open on July 1, 2004.

Later!

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo 2006-01-19 08:16 ]

S
SES posted on Thu, Jun 24, 2004 6:24 PM

Looking good! What's that rounded section? A stage area?

ses:
the roundy area is really a way to hide the crappy floor beneath. the cobblestone ends and concrete patch and uneveness begins. this area was covered by a very nasty and bumpy carpet. It will be treated with 3 dif. blue colored vinyl tiles. Hope it will look like some water=)

G

starting to look good. Keigs is doin a good job and da menu looks ono. Congrats and da bes of luck.

It will be treated with 3 dif. blue colored vinyl tiles. Hope it will look like some water=)

That's a cool idea... although spazmoids like myself hope there will be lights or something along the edge to lessen the likelihood that we'll do a Rob Petrie and shower other patrons with Mai Tai.

Thanks Gecko. I sip from your exotica mug often.

Aloha PJ:
Although they won't be able to save every succulent concoction the (choice of) blue, white and red rope lights should help to avoid most messes. By default the rope light will be on blue and also surround the entire bar and eventually light the bottles from underneath.

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2005-02-10 09:37 ]

AK

Is Kahiki Moon still opening tonight? We're trying to get some people to go friday but aren't sure if the date's getting pushed back again.

Aldorado: I went on a date to Koala Mauna in the late 80's. Some pictures would be cool from a historical perspective, but it wasn't much to look at as I recall. Grey industrial carpeting, white walls and minimal decoration. Nothing you'd care to look at in a Taschen book.

PK

Aloha AK:
We did indeed push back the soft opening date one more week to July 8, 2004. The place is shaping up nicely and all permits and such are in place. Almost, I say, almost time for that maiden Mai Tai. See you soon!

PK

I just noticed that if I do open on July 8, 2004 it will be my one year anniversary as a member of Tiki Central. Is it possible that this is a devine cosmic eclipse or just a coincidence. Either way its pretty cool. Most of my inspiration (besided my own childhood California/Hawaiian memories) for this restaurant have come during this year thanks to TC and it's 'ohana. This project has definately been blessed by the tiki gods (thanks Sven).

Aloha!
Okay so the magic had a week off. We are opening our doors Thursday July 15, 2004 for vendors and select individuals. Please let me know if any TCers would like to attend. We will open to the public this Friday July 16.

Friday July 23, 2004 The fisherman's Trio

I am going to take some sneak peak pics today and post them this evening.

[ Edited by: primo kimo on 2004-07-14 09:25 ]

P

Tell me about the cocktails.
I need to hear about the cocktails.

Can you fedex me one?

K

Pics pics!! Let's see those pics!!

Yeah, lets see some pics!

I'm excited to know how opening night went as well. I hope the place was packed. Hopefully your still counting your greenbacks.

Details, details!

Holy Mackeral! We have finally opened our doors.

Some of these pics where taken thursday and friday before the 8:00pm tasting. Really we are only 50% decorated (if that) but the major elements are in place and presentable. Thanks and better pics coming soon to a post near you...

The temporary banner outside.

24 hours to go

Inside entrance. 1 mai tai, 2 mai tai, 3 mai tai, 4 to take me home.... Sorry about the blurriness of the following shots.

Entrance A-Frame (not finished)

Hostess Station

Booth

Friday night: KEN P is AWESOME!

Hefner set.... KEN IS RAD!!

Saturday night: Blurry bar More lights have been added. The traffic light to the left now reads: Bar Open, Bar Closed and Last Call a la Tiki Ti. Can you make out the fountains? KEN ROCKS!!

Primo Kimo (leaning on the as yet unfinished fishtank bar) listens attentively as the Head Bartender, Lopi, mentions that stocks of limes and orgeat are running dangerously low;)

'Ohana

'Ohana

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo 2006-01-19 08:13 ]

Looks like the ohana is breaking it in well! I would bid you many blessings for success, may the tiki gods keep all of your mugs intact and the rum always plentiful and flowing!

If you can't
make it to the party,
make your own.
http://www.tiki-asylum.4t.com

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-18 12:27 ]

Excellent start!

Congrats. can't wait to see more pics.

-Z

B

Wow! It looks great! We hope to over sometime in the next week. What are your hours?

Looks fantastic!

How cool are both those entrances!? And the rest of the bar... speechless!

Best of luck... looks great!

Congrats to you Primo Kimo, long live Kahiki Moon!

S

Aloha, Primo!

I haven't been to TC in a long time, but I was blown away when found your post on Kahiki Moon! A perfect oasis in the Northeast. I'll make of point of stopping by when I'm in the area this fall.

Conrgatulations and best of luck!

M

Well done, PK!

M

Congratulations on the fantastic Kahiki Moon!!! More pics please!!

Matt

P

I played the roughed out version of "Kahiki Moon" for Swanky last night at the Hapa Haole Hideaway.

Just let me mention that the premise is 3 girls who murder their husbands because all the husbands want is tiki time at the Kahiki Moon.

The girls then meet at the Kahiki Moon to drink a toast to their dear departed ones and end up loving the place with a bit of regret at having done the deed... but dance anyway.

I should have the Hawai'ian lingo down in a few days and drop a mp3 on you.

Terrific looking palace - inspiring.

M
mig posted on Thu, Jul 22, 2004 2:53 PM

Happy belated!!! I am super duper impressed at how you made it all happen, PK...

Now to figure out how to get out there myself!!!

-mig

Aloha!

Thank you for all you kind words and support. Here are some pics from the Grand Opening Day and night with the fabulous Fisherman's Trio and the awesome performances by Peek-A-Boo Pointe and Little Brooklyn. Glamour shots of the joint still to come...

Primo Kimo's secret identity: Elton James

Overzealous crowd participation

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo 2006-01-19 08:09 ]

way to go James, I became a TC member just a few minutes ago so I could say WOOOOO HOOOOO and congrats, looks like the place is hoppin', wish we could have been there BEST WISHES ON YOUR CONTINUED SUCCESS!!!!!

K

Looks like ya'll had some fun. I especially like the overzealous participation!!!

Kanaka

Coconut bras and all! Nice place Primo. I'll have to check out Vermont post-ski season, or are you near the slopes?

Man, that sure must beat playing Pac Man! What a fine embassy of Tiki you have built! Herzlichen Glueckwunsch, James.

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies