Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

A Note to Those Who Have the Recipe for My Spicy Ginger Syrup

Pages: 1 3 replies

Hello all,
In my recipe for the Spicy Ginger Syrup I mentioned that the syrup lasts approximately 3 months unrefrigerated. This amount of time is accurate, but assume that it will last for two. Depending on the temperature, it may or may not last three months. You will know that it is going bad because mold will form in the bottle. Also, this last batch I stored in the fridge for a while. It did thicken up, so I shook the bottle up and microwaved about half a mug full for 10 seconds to get it to be more fluid again.

The recipe makes a large batch, the amount I make when I know I will be serving a lot of these drinks. If you want, try to break down the recipe in half, it will call for a little eyeballing.

Hope you have tried the syrup and the Hawaiian Ginger Twist.
TT

Hey Cass, Utopiandreem & i just finished making a big batch of your ginger syrup recipe last night, it tastes & smells great, will try your coltrane drink recipe 2night! Beth thinks the batch will last longer if you sterilize your bottles you keep them in just like canning jelly. We have rock candy syrup that last quite a long time by sterilizing the bottles.

Tbird.

J
JTD posted on Tue, May 18, 2004 2:47 PM

I better get working on ours as it must be approaching its end of shelf life. We also used it to baste on roast chicken - very tasty.

Thanks for the "heads up".

-JTD

(edited for fat fingers)

[ Edited by: JTD on 2004-05-18 14:48 ]

been away from the board for a while, had not seen these responces. Glad you guys dig the syrup. Tbird, thanks for the note about sterilizing bottles. JTD,I also have played around with cooking with it, but your bated chicken sounds wonderful.
I have currently been storing the syrup in the fridge and it has not thickened up or crystalized, so this may also be a way to extend the life of a portion.

Pages: 1 3 replies