Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tiki bars in Miami?

Pages: 1 32 replies

I'm heading to Florida next week for business/vacation. Already got a reservation for dinner and a show at the Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale - any other tiki shrines that are "must see"? (I've yet to receive my copy of "Tiki Road Trip" from Amazon, so I'm appealling directly to citizens of Tikidom.)

Sadly, the last tiki bar was torn down approximately 2 years ago in Miami Beach, which is not known for its historical sensitivity outside of the preservation zone in South Beach. Instead, its all about the various hotel scenes featuring cool people with hot bodies in lush, inviting environments.

There is a tiki-type bar with a cabana, located poolside, off the sand of the Atlantic at the Delano. Raging crowd and a decent mai-tai, albeit served in a plastic cup. Also, has a healthy dose of conventioners.

Next door at the National, there is also a cabana bar located at the lanai after the pool nestled among the numerous coconut trees (although all coconuts have been cut-off - no falling cocunut claims). Younger crowd, but expensive cocktails.

The Raleigh on Collins Ave has a very happening bar scene in a very tropical environment. Wonderful chinese style latterns illuminate the patio. The latest "in" place, but beware - the velvet rope has been known to make an appearance.

The South Seas hotel is full of promise by the name, but it is completely disappointing.

The Clevelander is noteworthy for the googie style architecture and spring break ambience.

T
thejab posted on Mon, May 3, 2004 2:43 PM

On 2004-04-30 18:52, christiki295 wrote:
Sadly, the last tiki bar was torn down approximately 2 years ago in Miami Beach, which is not known for its historical sensitivity outside of the preservation zone in South Beach.

Which one? I was in South Florida in 2000 and couldn't find any tiki bars in Miami. I would hate to find out I missed one.

Oh well, thanks for the input. At least the Mai Kai will be fun.

On 2004-05-03 14:43, thejab wrote:

Which one? I was in South Florida in 2000 and couldn't find any tiki bars in Miami. I would hate to find out I missed one.

It wasn't a tiki bar, but was a Chinese restaurant [CURRY'S] located just north of South Beach (not as far as Fountainbleau/Eden Rock) on the ocean side of Collins street. Unfortunately, I can not remember the name.

For whatever its worth as there are no more tiki bars remaining, I turned on a buddy of mine who is a Planner with the City of Miami Beach onto the Book of Tiki, and he has made it his goal to raise the tiki awareness (from a historic preservation perspective) in the Planning Dept, incl. ensuring everyone has made a pilgrimage to the Mai Kai.

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-05-03 20:37 ]

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-05-17 21:18 ]

M

I don't get into Miami much, but after the Mai Kai the next best Tiki bar in the general area I have found is Muddy Waters in Deerfield Beach (about 50 miles north), not even trying to be a "Tiki Bar" he has made a nice place with some cool local Tiki artwork, with 2 Tiki artists represented from my very small town just south
(Pompano Beach). The owner who I met is full of Aloha spirit, if you're heading north from Miami on 95, get off at Hillsboro
and go 1 mile west(on the right), no Tiki drinks or food but a very nice place for TC folk to stop by for a beer or burger and such.

Sundays On The Bay!
http://miami.diningguide.net/data/d100543.htm
Well, it's not really a tiki bar, but it offers a nice relaxed patio-with-roof ambiance right on the water. Great food (a bit pricey). And, they have live entertainment for brunch, and evening I think (I'd call to find out what's happening and when.)

[ Edited by: gatorjwade on 2004-05-15 08:36 ]

aside from the mai kai, there is not much else of a tiki bar. there is one down in isla morada on the way to key west. bahama breeze is pretty tropical, more carribean in theme, but still nice. it is a chain of restaurants down here, with several locations. decent drinks and food but a bit expensive. you also might want to check out the blue fish cafe and the parrot lounge on ft lauderdale beach by las olas blvd. they are both ft lauderdale landmarks. very good drinks, and both fun.

T

No Tiki in Miami.

But the Mai Kai radiates enough Tiki mana to cover a 200 mile radius, at least.

Dozens of little "Tiki Bars" (really grass huts by the beach with no TiPSY Factor whatsoever) will try to draw you in along the way, but hold out for the Mai Kai itself!

R
rocky posted on Sun, May 16, 2004 9:28 AM

**deanking69,McDougall
** Although I've been by Muddywaters quite a few times, I've never gone in! I am usually in the reptile shop next door getting a Chameleon fix.
I'm headed that way in a week myself, so I'll make it a point to stop in for sure.

The main reason why I haven't been in as I am usually saddled up to the bar at The Whale's Rib Not Tiki, but the best Sea food in or near Deerfield IMHO. Local hangout, accross the beach and a very famous Bloody Mary! Also as you can see by my photo's quite a bit busy ambience. Stay on hillsoboro, until it hits A1A, then hang a left, right next to Flanagan's!

[ Edited by: rocky on 2004-05-16 09:32 ]

By any chance, has any new tiki arisen in Miami Beach?

The tropical vibe, beach location, water and tourist destination (not to mention the success of the Mai Kai) all call out for at least one tiki establishment!

Why do you think I moved from Miami to Ft Lauderdale last year? :wink: lol!

YUP! At least The Mai Kai will be a blast! You will LOVE it! :D Have fun!!!!!!!! :wink:

The resort/tiki bar that the Ragin' Rarotongan is referring to is called Holiday Isle. http://www.holidayisle.com/ Its a pretty cool place down in the upper keys (which means it doesn't take that long to get down there from Miami-- as opposed to Key West which is at the bottom of the Keys and takes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to get to). It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to get to Islamorada from my house in Ft. Lauderdale. So, from Miami, it is probably about an hour drive or so, depending on when you go. I like to hit the keys early in the morning on the weekends because the traffic can get heavy since it is only a two lane road going down there once you reach Key Largo (the first Key). If you like to snorkel, there is a State Park called John Pennycamp park where you can rent your own boat or take tour boats out to the coral reefs where you can see a lot of tropical fish and reefs. Its pretty cool. You can also go kayaking through the mangroves.

Although I've been by Muddywaters quite a few times, I've never gone in! I am usually in the reptile shop next door getting a Chameleon fix.

MuddyWaters is my local watering hole (stumbling distance to my house). If you have been to the reptile store and not gone in you are definately missing out. The outside is just a warmup for the atmosphere inside. The Whale's Rib is very good, but I think in general the food at Muddys is better. Next time your there step in and check it out.

T

when i was a kid growing up in miami beach, there were a few really cool places around. i vaguely remember the Luau. also, i used to hang out at the amazing pool at the Castaways where the Shinto Temple and the Wreck Bar were...great tiki action there.

anyone remember Fu Manchu's towards the beach? they had a tre' cool bar where they served drinks in tiki mugs.

is the Caves still around in Ft. Lauderdale?

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:33 ]

T

On 2005-06-13 18:27, tiki1963 wrote:
when i was a kid growing up in miami beach, there were a few really cool places around. i vaguely remember the Luau. also, i used to hang out at the amazing pool at the Castaways where the Shinto Temple and the Wreck Bar were...great tiki action there.

anyone remember Fu Manchu's towards the beach? they had a tre' cool bar where they served drinks in tiki mugs.

No, I went to the Caves in 2000, but when I returned to Fort Lauderdale in 2002 it had been gutted by fire and the ruins were still standing. :( Here's what it looked like before the fire.

There was a Polynesian style steakhouse w/out tikis called Curry's in North Miami Beach. I went there in 2002 with mrsmiley and Jeff (in pic) but it has closed since then.

I recently found an old postcard showing the Castaways Hotel from the air - it was a massive place. But at the distance the picture was taken it's impossible to see details like tikis.

I have a postcard of the Luau as well. Here's a bit of it

[ Edited by: thejab on 2005-06-14 10:30 ]

Go here.

http://www.partyinmiami.com/with/rustypelican/index.htm

It has the best view of the Miami skyline and it is on the water. You can dine outside by their fire pits at night, plus they have tiki torches, war clubs, seashell lamps and a bamboo bar, plus one tiki at the entrance. Kind of expensive, but worth it.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-06-14 11:06 ]

On 2005-06-13 18:27, tiki1963 wrote:

Fu Manchu is still there, but they don't serve their drinks in tiki or Fu Manchu mugs anymore. Kentiki, me and our wahines went there in 2004. The old timers that worked there thought we were hilarious because we wanted to wander around and look at the decorations; especially the upstairs balcony which was closed (actually to see if there were any forgotten boxes of mugs laying about). "What's the matter, you never see old Chinese restaurant before? Ha, Ha." Yup, I guess we were pretty funny. The food was okay, but not fantastic. The restaurant is cool though; especially the neon sign.

T

Fu Manchu is still there, but they don't serve their drinks in tiki or Fu Manchu mugs anymore. Kentiki, me and our wahines went there in 2004. The old timers that worked there thought we were hilarious because we wanted to wander around and look at the decorations; especially the upstairs balcony which was closed (actually to see if there were any forgotten boxes of mugs laying about). "What's the matter, you never see old Chinese restaurant before? Ha, Ha." Yup, I guess we were pretty funny. The food was okay, but not fantastic. The restaurant is cool though; especially the neon sign.

wow, thanks for the update all! i've been in LA now for over 20 years so i'm not too up to date on what's still around in miami.

Kailuageoff- do they still have the chairs with the celeb names written on the chair-backs? i remember as a kid, hoping i would one day be famous enough that i could have a chair of my own there. these days, i don't think there's a crack house i could get a honorary chair in! :wink:

Yeah, seems like the chairs did have names on the back of them. I have an old postcard of the place. I'll try to post it in a day or two.
Geoff

On 2005-06-13 20:59, filslash wrote:
aloha,

I was in Miami, and the area in Feb. So on the way through the Keys, me and my sweetheart were looking for a nice place to get a drink before heading back to Miami...

We got off the main drag, and out of the corner of my eye I see a sign that says "Tiki Bar."

So we stop, and I was never more dissapointed. It was a bar at the marina, with a few coconut parrots, and the titles of several Jimmy Buffett songs on signs through out the place... UGH. We left pretty fast. Beware, and just go see Kern at the Mai-Kai.

This is a very common occurrence in Florida. Proprietors of bars, restaurants and hotels will often call any outdoor bar that is under a palm thatched roof a "tiki bar" -- even in the absence of anything that is tiki. The thatched hut structures are, in fact, really "Chickee bars." A Chickee is the Seminole Indian word for "house." http://www.seminoletribe.com/culture/chickee.shtml Chickee huts are very prolific in the South Florida area (the Seminole Tribe will even construct one for you.) You see them at beaches and in people's back yards used for shade and shelter. But for some reason, some people think that if you serve an alcholic beverage underneath one, it is somehow tranformed into a "tiki bar."

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:27 ]

Is this the same Fu Manchu's that is in North Beach. Yes, it very much still there and in business. Love the outside retro-style neon sign.

The murals look fairly newish - perhaps repainted? However, the folks I have been with could not get past the strong smell of cigarette stained, dank mildewey carpet to enter further into the place. Its a pity such a nice atmosphere is ruined by an unappetizing aroma.

T

On 2005-06-15 12:56, I dream of tiki wrote:
Is this the same Fu Manchu's that is in North Beach. Yes, it very much still there and in business. Love the outside retro-style neon sign.

The murals look fairly newish - perhaps repainted? However, the folks I have been with could not get past the strong smell of cigarette stained, dank mildewey carpet to enter further into the place. Its a pity such a nice atmosphere is ruined by an unappetizing aroma.

no way! that aroma is a treasure! that's years of indulgent coolness that is disappearing from america...bring the dank stink on!

i grew up in north bay village. when i used to go down to south beach/ocean drive or lincoln road as a kid, i LOVED the decay of the deco stuff. it looked like a lost civilization and made you want to uncover it.

every time i'm back in miami to see the parents, i have mixed feelings about south beach. even in LA, when an old stinky haunt gets 'discovered', it loses a little bit of that magic of an original, unearthed tomb of the past.

please, Fu Manchu's, stay stinky! :wink:

[ Edited by: tiki1963 on 2005-06-15 13:47 ]

Nasty aromas, stained carpets, splintered bamboo.... All in a days work for the experienced urban tiki archeologist. :)

M

On 2005-06-15 12:11, joefla70 wrote:

On 2005-06-13 20:59, filslash wrote:
aloha,

I was in Miami, and the area in Feb. So on the way through the Keys, me and my sweetheart were looking for a nice place to get a drink before heading back to Miami...

We got off the main drag, and out of the corner of my eye I see a sign that says "Tiki Bar."

So we stop, and I was never more dissapointed. It was a bar at the marina, with a few coconut parrots, and the titles of several Jimmy Buffett songs on signs through out the place... UGH. We left pretty fast. Beware, and just go see Kern at the Mai-Kai.

This is a very common occurrence in Florida. Proprietors of bars, restaurants and hotels will often call any outdoor bar that is under a palm thatched roof a "tiki bar" -- even in the absence of anything that is tiki. The thatched hut structures are, in fact, really "Chickee bars." A Chickee is the Seminole Indian word for "house." http://www.seminoletribe.com/culture/chickee.shtml Chickee huts are very prolific in the South Florida area (the Seminole Tribe will even construct one for you.) You see them at beaches and in people's back yards used for shade and shelter. But for some reason, some people think that if you serve an alcholic beverage underneath one, it is somehow tranformed into a "tiki bar."

I have to correct your post. In Florida a "tiki" bar is any outdoor bar. I have been to ones with metal (not-thatched) roofs. In Florida, the word "tiki" is mis-used the most!! Their are approx. 11,231 self proclaimed "tiki" bars in Florida--less than one-tenth of one percent have a tiki on the property! URGH!

As has been discussed before, the term "tiki bar" seems to be used througout the Caribbean to describe any outdoor bar. My personal opinion is this may be due to the various rum distilleries that shipped their products off to tiki bars in the 50's and 60's. It's easy to guess that time period would have have been a golden age for the rum distillers, as well as for Poly Pop businesses in the states, and that local island bars served many of the same tiki drinks that were being served at Donn's and Vic's - thus "tiki bar" whether tikis or not -- and these days "tiki bar" even if they only sell Red Stripe.
Just a guess.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-06-16 07:00 ]

Although not a bar, a related experience that is a must see, just south of Miami is

"MONKEY JUNGLE"!

Take a pocket flask, and explore the place, "Where the humans are in cages, and the monkeys roam free”

T

Hukilau is near so I'm bumping these related topics. HUKILAU!

Here is a question for all who remember the Wreck Bar at the Castaways....I am looking for a bartender who worked there in the late 1960's...he was about 34, very good looking. Anyone have a good memory and can think of a name???

Looking for a dear friend.

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2015-01-02 19:17 ]

Pages: 1 32 replies