Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

For the drinkers.... how far have you gone?

Pages: 1 2 3 95 replies

Tonights tally......

Trader Vic's Mai Tai
Never Say Die
Waikikian
Sidewinder's Fang

Isn't any one else out there drinking, or am I just a lush on leave from work?

-T.J.

S

I spent Saturday night at Trader Vic's and had the blessing to get my tab paid for, so, it's slow. And Pablus will be here tomorrow night, so, then we will hit the sauce a bit...

K
Klas posted on Wed, May 19, 2004 3:44 AM

On 2004-05-18 22:51, Tonnikan Jinn wrote:

Some days ago I mixed the following drinks for me and a buddy:

• Pineapple Paradise
  • Mai Tai
  • Castaway (not the one from the Grog Log)
  • Margarita
  • Beachcomber's Punch

T H E - S U R F I T E S

[ Edited by: Klas on 2004-05-19 03:46 ]

I, too, havn't looked at this post because I thought it was about drunkeness stories...

I have gone through quite a lot of the drinks, but not as many as Swanky or Tonnikan Jinn.

I would like to comment on the Pieces of Eight drink, and on the lemon/lime qunatities.
It is a matter of taste, and I'm not be going to get all worked up about Swanky's opinion, especialy after he said he doesn't like tart drinks.
I really like the Pieces of Eight, and so did all of the people that I made the drink for (at least 20-25).
I agree it's tart, but refreshing.
Because of that, I don't change the lemon or lime quantities in the recipes.

Also, as opposed to a lot of hardcore drinkers, don't like drinks that taste like I'm drinking rum out of the bottle, and I found that out after experimenting with the books (I think it took me about 15 times before I realized I should look carefuly at the recipe and try to judge it's sweetness).
I can now usually tell by looking at the recipe if the drink would make me look like the "strong drink" character (shivers and all).

I havn't tried "Beachbum's own", but all the other drinks described as "original creations" had very little sweetness, if at all, and tasted very strong. Not complaining, just noting a pattern, which could be tied with Berry's own taste preferrences.

So - to conclude - the ratings are very subjective, but everyone agrees there should be balance.
I tend to not cut down on the lemon/lime, and if the drink doesn't have passion fruit syrup/simple syrup/other sweet ingredient, I just pass.

Ran

[ Edited by: kick_the_reverb on 2004-05-19 15:09 ]

Friday night update, although I haven't had all of these tonight. Sit back, realx, have one on me!

Test Pilot
Beachcomber's Punch
Astro Aku Aku
Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail
Hawaiian Eye
Heavens Above
Jungle Bird (discovered I really don't like Campari. This is the only drink I couldn't finish)
Puka Punch (!!!!!!! This one is great!!!!!!!!)

That's 67 down, and still plenty of viable liver tissue and brain cells left.... but not for long.... I've got to switch hobbies again. :wink:

-T.J.

Okay, so I just spent Saturday night at Hale Tiki. It was my first Tiki road trip from NY and there is no telling when I would be back, and the hotel was literally next door, so I was on a mission to sample drinks. Here's the list of drinks I actually remember drinking:

1 Concubine
1 Suffering Bastard
2 Pain Killers
1 Hurricane
1 Blue Hawaii
4 Mai Tai (awesomely mixed by Mel the bartender)
1 Missionary's Downfall
and
1 shot of some sort that was quite tasty, but I never got the name.

All were quite good, but the Mai Tais kicked butt.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-05-24 14:04 ]

Update from the weekend. This is really going to change now that the Grogalizer is online. What a teriffic tool! Now I can plan my evening cocktail before I leave work, and check out the ratings before I make one for a friend.
Here we go.....
Planter's Punch
Gone The Beachcomber
Royal Hawaiian
Outrigger
Kapu-Kai
Don's 151 Swizzle
Coconut Willie

74 down and I'm half way home. If I drink all of them maybe I can get a special t-shirt or something. :wink:

-T.J.

No one seems to be responding to you TJ, so I will. Your a ^@%^$@& drunk! We should hang out.

Flounder,
Thank you for calling me a drunk and not an alcoholic. After all... alcoholics go to meetings, I just stay home and have a couple cocktails.

So, while everyone else is at some meeting listening to some poor sod who hasn't had a drink is 5 years and still calling himself "an alcoholic", I had these....

Aurora Bora Borealis
Hell in the Pacific
Tasman Sea

77 down, still too many to go.

-T.J.

P.S. No offence to any of the 12 steppers out there. No mallice was meant.

S

TJ,
Just so you know, I felt guilty and had 2 new ones myself tonight. Well, one new one and another I had not noted when I had it a long time ago.
Eastern Sour B best bourbon drink I ever had
Planet of the Apes C - C+

And as for the cost, it's not so bad after a point. There are things you keep buying like rum, but stuff like Pernod and Falernum last a long time.

I just wanted to know who else has had the Golden Wave from Intoxica?Opinions?

Mine: It's a friggin good drink!
Have 2...they're small!

C

I can never decide what I want to drink and I have been mixing tiki drinks since I was legal drinking age, so I can imagine the confusion for someone new to all this.

That's why at my bar we came up with the "Deck of Destiny", draw two cards from a shuffled deck with four jokers in it. Example: 7 then a 5 is a Mai Tai.

Click here if you would like to see a PDF of our score card:
Deck.PDF

The amazing thing about it is it Never has given someone a drink that they didn't like.

H

On 2005-02-07 19:37, Slacks Ferret wrote:

Excellent drink. One of my favorites. It has been in my top five for serving to guests.

Another favorite of mine is the Gone the Beachcomber from the Grog Log as well as the similar Demerara Dry Float from Intoxica.

K
Kono posted on Fri, Feb 11, 2005 7:08 PM

Have 2...they're small!

I keep a little Wordpad log of my impressions as I work my way through these books. It's mostly a bunch of gibberish for my eyes only but for the Golden Wave I have written down: "Good, not great, but pretty damn good!"

I've come to accept that drinks, like music, will have different levels of appeal to different people. I've read several people (esp Pablus) rave about the Test Pilot and so I made my first (with Velvet Falernum) with great expectations and I truly hated it. On the other had, many people here don't care for Pernod but I really do like it. It's just a matter of taste. Then there's the damn lime. It's so exasperating to go through these recipes and (for me) have all this nice top shelf rum overpowered and destroyed by the lime juice. I know some folks here by routine cut the amount of lime juice in half but I am forcing myself to try each and every recipe as it is written if it is possible. Once I've finished the list then I will likely go back and try reducing the lime (and lemon) juice amounts to taste.

I know theories have been tossed about here as to why these recipes seem far too overwhelmed by lime to many of us. Were limes less sour back in the 50s and 60s? Things like that. I was wondering the other day about the diets of those who frequented the tiki bars in those classic days. They were more likely to smoke back then. Cigarettes, cigars, pipes. They may have consumed more coffee (at least the cheap black stuff). Martinis for lunch. Food was greasier and saltier. Maybe their taste buds were shot to hell! Maybe that's why these toxic levels of lime juice tasted good to them.

You ever watch Fear Factor? When the contestant has to eat something especially disgusting, like a live spider or beetle, they sometimes start tearing up or actually crying before they chomp down on it. I just made my first Demerera Dry Float and that was just how I felt. I finally got a bottle of Maraschino liqueur and thought "Now I finally get to try a Demerera Dry Float!" Then I look at the recipe...2.5oz of lime juice! :( But I must stay faithful to the recipe. I'm crying as I'm making it, "This is gonna suck, waste of good demerera rum, goddamn old recipes..." Well, not really crying but bitching and moaning for sure. Actually the drink is not as bad as I expected, but it is a bit too tart for me. The passionfruit syrup took the edge of the lime fairly well. By the looks of it I think I will like the Gone the Beachcomber better though. I will know soon enough!

My favorites so far:

Intoxica:
Beachbum's Own
Chief's Calabash
Hawaiian Eye
Heaven's Above
Macadamia Nut Chi Chi
Don the Beachcomber Chi Chi
(I'm only into the "Ms")

Grog Log:
Blackbeard's Ghost
Castaway
Cruzana
Headhunter
Kapu-Kai

Least favorites: Doctor Funk and Test Pilot.

I had a couple of Damon's Mai Tais from Taboo Table the other night, and they were damm tasty!

Got me nice and sauced, and MachTiki can vouch for me on that one.

They have juices(dear lord, NO!) and no rock candy syrup(which I can't seem to find a Canadian source for - other than my hummingbird feeder)

Tasty suckers none the less. I also got to use my new lime squeezing gadget, which worked like a charm. One handed, AND I was left with a clean shell to use as a cheap-ass garnish.

I loved mine so much that I took it to bed with me. And no, it didn't call the next day.

S

On 2005-02-11 19:08, Kono wrote:

Have 2...they're small!

I keep a little Wordpad log of my impressions as I work my way through these books. It's mostly a bunch of gibberish for my eyes only but for the Golden Wave I have written down: "Good, not great, but pretty damn good!"

I've come to accept that drinks, like music, will have different levels of appeal to different people. I've read several people (esp Pablus) rave about the Test Pilot and so I made my first (with Velvet Falernum) with great expectations and I truly hated it. On the other had, many people here don't care for Pernod but I really do like it. It's just a matter of taste. Then there's the damn lime. It's so exasperating to go through these recipes and (for me) have all this nice top shelf rum overpowered and destroyed by the lime juice. I know some folks here by routine cut the amount of lime juice in half but I am forcing myself to try each and every recipe as it is written if it is possible. Once I've finished the list then I will likely go back and try reducing the lime (and lemon) juice amounts to taste.

I know theories have been tossed about here as to why these recipes seem far too overwhelmed by lime to many of us. Were limes less sour back in the 50s and 60s? Things like that. I was wondering the other day about the diets of those who frequented the tiki bars in those classic days. They were more likely to smoke back then. Cigarettes, cigars, pipes. They may have consumed more coffee (at least the cheap black stuff). Martinis for lunch. Food was greasier and saltier. Maybe their taste buds were shot to hell! Maybe that's why these toxic levels of lime juice tasted good to them.

You ever watch Fear Factor? When the contestant has to eat something especially disgusting, like a live spider or beetle, they sometimes start tearing up or actually crying before they chomp down on it. I just made my first Demerera Dry Float and that was just how I felt. I finally got a bottle of Maraschino liqueur and thought "Now I finally get to try a Demerera Dry Float!" Then I look at the recipe...2.5oz of lime juice! :( But I must stay faithful to the recipe. I'm crying as I'm making it, "This is gonna suck, waste of good demerera rum, goddamn old recipes..." Well, not really crying but bitching and moaning for sure. Actually the drink is not as bad as I expected, but it is a bit too tart for me. The passionfruit syrup took the edge of the lime fairly well. By the looks of it I think I will like the Gone the Beachcomber better though. I will know soon enough!

I tried this for a while myself. But I got to the point I was unable to finish drinks that were so sour. I was literally pouring them down the drain. And that's me and the Ms. So I quit that. I'd rather use a little sense on it and cut the lime down and try it and then I can add more if I think it fits. Some recipes I just don't bother with. I know I will hate them regardless. Lime is the main ingredient!

The thing is, these recipes were put together by Jeff Barry. So, he must love sour drinks. He didn't just copy old recipes into his book, but reworked them. So, it's not 1950's tastes to blame, but Mr. Berry.

Tikiwahine, take that lime shell and put 151 in it and set to "sea" aflame!

P

Wanna fight about it, syrup boy?

Berry didn't pen those sour drink recipes from Trader Vic that I've got... or the ones from any of my other old manuals.

I like it sour. Though the drinks Berry taught are definitely on the sour side, I've tried scaling back the lime and found that the rum overwhelms.

Just make sure you get it right when I'm up there in a few weeks.

To each his own. Mixology has always been more art than science, so exact measurements mean less than taste. Take martinis (my favorite non-tiki concoction), if you look at the recipe in any mixology book, there is way more vermouth called for than most martini drinkers like. Most martini drinkers like them bone dry.

I happen to like my tiki drinks more sweet than sour, but that doesn't make it right.

P
K
Kono posted on Fri, Apr 15, 2005 7:37 PM

I'd just like to add a curious anecdote that I related in some other thread:

I noticed in my mixology experiments that my previously acknowledged (by me) lack of olfaction (poor sense of smell) was preventing me from being even a decent amateur mixologist. I knew my schnozzle was weak but after making my favorite Mai Tai recipe and finding it very bland a little 7 watt light bulb fizzled to life above my head and I realized I had a problem. No one should ever have to suffer through a bland Mai Tai!

Being as I am reluctant to visit doctors or engage in basic "health care" or "well being," I went to Target and got some generic over the counter Claritin. What a difference it has made! I now smell the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I love the smells of orgeat and mint, and the smells of tropical foliage but I am hating the smells of cat piss around the apartment building and the smell of people who wash their hair every four days.

Anyway, since I've started taking this allergy medication I have found that I am liking more lime or lemon juice in my drinks. Yes, MORE! My only theory is that with a poorer sense of smell my brain could not perceive some of the smell and taste of the syrups and non-citrus juices that balanced out the lime and lemon.

I have not yet tried any of the more offensive recipes from Berry's books but I will soon. I don't hold a great deal of hope for the Test Pilot however. I found it to be tasting like (theoretically) sucking the patchouil oil out of a 90 year old Bedouin's well used foot towel but that was pre-Claritin s I reserve the right to be wrong.

T

Kono

Good top see you pop up on this thread. I recently tried your Rabid Mongoose. Great drink! The folks that I made it for first, I found out, did not like molassas at all. So I tasted it and it has been my favorite for the last month or two. I like molassas! I am making up small decorative drink "cards/coasters" for each of my drinks, so when I make up the ones for the Rabid Mongoose I will PM you so I can send you one.

Ciao

Trustar

K
Kono posted on Sun, Apr 17, 2005 8:31 AM

On 2005-04-16 17:50, trustar wrote:
Kono

Good top see you pop up on this thread. I recently tried your Rabid Mongoose. Great drink! The folks that I made it for first, I found out, did not like molassas at all. So I tasted it and it has been my favorite for the last month or two. I like molassas! I am making up small decorative drink "cards/coasters" for each of my drinks, so when I make up the ones for the Rabid Mongoose I will PM you so I can send you one.

Ciao

Trustar

Thanks Trustar! I think that drink is the one that got me to thinking about the allergy thing. One day I thought it was really good and a couple weeks later I thought it was crap. I kept trying to re-work the recipe and then finally figured out that I might have a sniffer problem. I was just thinking last night about trying that drink out with vanilla rum subbing for the light rum.

I keep a little live mint plant in the kitchen for fresh mint sprigs. I use it as a smell tester, if I can't smell the mint (like last night) then I don't even bother with the cocktails as I won't taste them correctly. I just have a beer or rum and coke.

That would be really cool to get one of those coasters. Mahalo!

P

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9766&forum=10&vpost=100875

Not that I don't trust trustar... (he does hang out with people of questionable character from the HB)... but I want to judge this recipe this evening, along with a couple of Navy Grogs, and see whether it's deserving of its own coaster or not. :wink:

Reads well, and I've got an unopened bottle of Cruzan Blackstrap and one of Barbancourt waiting to be appreciated.

K
Kono posted on Sun, Apr 17, 2005 1:17 PM

Pablus, that's my first, my virgin, original drink. I haven't had it in quite some time so I dunno. I loved it when I first made it though.

P

I finally found my missing copies of Grog Log and Intoxica today. I noticed that Intoxica has the recipe for the Dr. Funk. I realized that I had ALL the ingredients, and so I went crazy today mixing Dr. Funks. I was disappointed with the Intoxica recipe, having had a Dr. Funk last night at Trader Vic's. So, I started experimenting. For one thing, I am using fresh KEY limes instead of the more common limes and lemons. A good result! The Intoxica recipe was too tart (the key limes may have been a part of that, too) and so I used more grenadine and I added Gin to the rum. I really like the result. Kind of like a Dr. Funk Fogcutter. A very nice drink. I think I have had a few too many of them.

P

Bring on the coaster!
The Rabid Mongoose is a winner.

S

The missus volunteered to help out with a family hawaiian themed wedding shower. We found a couple of easy to make drinks from the books and she mixed. I think it was the Sventiki and something. Anyway. She mixes thema nd they are good. But the guests hated them. Wanted them more sweet. We picked sweet drinks mind you. So, she added more pineapple syrup. "Sweeter!" So more Grenadine. Craziness. And then one of the guests puts Equal inthe drink to boot! Man. I thought I liked sweeter drinks, but that was just craziness.

The same people ignored the fruit and vegetable trays and the finger sandwiches to dive into M&Ms...

T

One of the cards/coasters that I had made up really quick on Print Shop a couple of months ago. It was part of a birthday gift with a mug and other tiki goodies. This one was laminated so it does not do what "regular" coasters do yet in absorbing anything but you get the idea.

Pablus, drinks is a little robusto but I like it! See, us HB'rs are not all like that.

I'll be working on something for the 'goose soon.

T

S

Just for the record on the Mai Tai Lime juice: At Trader Vic's Atlanta, they use a quarter lime per drink in the Mai Tai. Wring it out, set it on the counter. Shake, drop it in the glass and pour the drink on top. That's how much lime to use...

M

On 2005-04-15 11:26, Tikiwahine wrote:
I had a couple of Damon's Mai Tais from Taboo Table the other night, and they were damm tasty!

Got me nice and sauced, and MachTiki can vouch for me on that one.

... I also got to use my new lime squeezing gadget, which worked like a charm. One handed, AND I was left with a clean shell to use as a cheap-ass garnish.

Yeah, there was some drunk Shouting going on by both of us. We decided that if you are drinking while on Shout, you are not actually drinking alone. You're drinking with friends.

About the juicer - I have the same one and LOVE IT. Super efficiant.

On 2005-04-18 09:03, Swanky wrote:
...The same people ignored the fruit and vegetable trays and the finger sandwiches to dive into M&Ms...

Over Easter when Jeff was home we had a "nail 'em to the cross" party(a spring BBQ) I picked up a huge container of veggies and some jalapeno ranch dressing. I couldn't believe what a hit it was! Beer drinking beef eating men eating their veggies? They MUST have been drunk! :wink: That was the night of the Pink Winks and Pago Pagos for unsuspecting guests.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Apr 20, 2005 5:39 PM

Pablus, glad you liked the drink. Like I said, it's the first recipe I ever came up with, and ultimately it's a mai tai variation. I've worked up plenty more since then. In fact I find that I enjoy experimenting with original recipes more than trying the classics. I tend to like drinks with more boozes and liqueurs and less juices.

Trustar, that coaster looks really cool! I look forward to what you come with for the RM. I don't have to work tomorrow and my allergies are currently at bay so I think I'll make one or two this evening. Maybe I'll try one of those Trader Woodys as well.

Swanky, the same holds true for the "classic" (hand made) mai tais at TV SF. The bartender had this little squeezer gimmick that look like some sort of miniature Victorian gynecological tool which he used to squeeze the lime. I asked him how much lime juice he estimated was in the mai tai and he guessed 1/4 oz. I guesstimated between 1/4 and 1/2 oz. He added that they throw in a dash of concentrated lime juice.

Tikiwahine, anything, I mean ANYTHING, is manly when covered in ranch dressing. A dainty quiche lorraine slathered in jalapeno ranch dressing would be wolfed down by even the burliest mountain man without a second thought!

K
Kono posted on Wed, Apr 20, 2005 6:38 PM

The missus volunteered to help out with a family hawaiian themed wedding shower. We found a couple of easy to make drinks from the books and she mixed. I think it was the Sventiki and something. Anyway. She mixes thema nd they are good. But the guests hated them. Wanted them more sweet. We picked sweet drinks mind you. So, she added more pineapple syrup. "Sweeter!" So more Grenadine. Craziness. And then one of the guests puts Equal inthe drink to boot! Man. I thought I liked sweeter drinks, but that was just craziness.

As someone planning on opening a tiki bar, what does this tell you?

Be prepared to sell more daquiris (strawberry) and margaritas than mai tais and make peace with yourself and/or your god(s) so that you can still sleep well at night. Oh yeah, lots of beer and wine as well.

Maybe you could come up with slightly tiki-fied variations of the popular drinks, like a passionfruit margarita or something like that. Just a thought.

S

On 2005-04-20 18:38, Kono wrote:

As someone planning on opening a tiki bar, what does this tell you?

Be prepared to sell more daquiris (strawberry) and margaritas than mai tais and make peace with yourself and/or your god(s) so that you can still sleep well at night. Oh yeah, lots of beer and wine as well.

Maybe you could come up with slightly tiki-fied variations of the popular drinks, like a passionfruit margarita or something like that. Just a thought.

At Hale Tiki, the Painkillers are very popular. Sweet and coconutty. My sweet offering will also be the Blue Hawaii and maybe Blue Reef. I'll also offer a variety of daiquiris. The Derby Daiquiri is a personal favorite. And my fresh mango daiquiri, mmm. Have you had your daily allowance of fruit?

I am afraid I will have trouble with people disrespecting the tiki. I assume I'll get over it.

K
Kono posted on Sat, May 7, 2005 7:04 PM

Ack, has anyone ever made the Missionary's Downfall? I was looking forward to it as it is a classic but bleh! Too little booze and too much mint and ice! I alternated between feeling as if I were eating a veggie snack and feeling as if I were brushing my teeth. But I never felt like I was having an exotic drink. I believe that this was the first Grog Log/Intoxica drink that I could not finish.

T

Lately I've been revisiting Intoxica and remaking every drink that I made when I first bought it, and a few that I haven't tried yet.

I just have to say that the Don the Beachcomber's Zombie is the best Zombie I've had, ever! So far, it and the Puka Puka are my favorite drinks in Intoxica.

I still have to buy a few items: Licor 43 (which I tried in Spain and liked very much) and Barenjager (which I doubt I'll drink very often), among other ingredients that I may never find such as Okolehao and Pimento Liqueur.

J

Kono, how dare you sir!! I will not stand idly by and watch you insult the Missionary's Downfall! :wink: I have to admit this one took a bit of getting used to but if you decide to give it another chance I think you'll find it real refreshing. In order to make it taste more like a tropical drink and less like a biannual cleaning at the dentist's office, I add more pineapple than specified. Load up the blender with a healthy full chunk of pineapple and the taste will improve dramatically. At my bar we’ve been guzzling down pitchers of Downfall’s on a consistent basis – my wife has even proclaimed that the Missionary’s Downfall is now her favorite drink!

Oh I almost forgot the most important improvement... add another ounce of the Bacardi to liven it up a bit!

K
Kono posted on Wed, Jul 6, 2005 7:40 PM

On 2005-05-11 16:08, johntiki wrote:
Kono, how dare you sir!! I will not stand idly by and watch you insult the Missionary's Downfall! :wink: I have to admit this one took a bit of getting used to but if you decide to give it another chance I think you'll find it real refreshing. In order to make it taste more like a tropical drink and less like a biannual cleaning at the dentist's office, I add more pineapple than specified. Load up the blender with a healthy full chunk of pineapple and the taste will improve dramatically. At my bar we’ve been guzzling down pitchers of Downfall’s on a consistent basis – my wife has even proclaimed that the Missionary’s Downfall is now her favorite drink!

Oh I almost forgot the most important improvement... add another ounce of the Bacardi to liven it up a bit!

Ha! I missed this until now. More pineapple and rum? Sounds like an improvement, maybe less mint as well? I felt like I was eating a mint icee and I was flossing green flecks out of my teeth for days! I'll try it again when I work up enough nerve. :)

I went looking for this thread because I remembered we were discussing the amount of lime used in the drinks. I wanted to mention that in the new "Trader Vic's Tiki Party" book the lime juice has been drastically cut in the recipes. The drink recipes were provided by Trader Vics VP Sven Koch and I must think more reflective of what they are currently serving at TV's. The Trader Vic's Mai Tai has only .5oz lime juice! You don't know how much this gladdens my heart. They also include the original recipe (one large lime) and a recipe for using the Mai Tai mix.

It's a bit of an odd book, part history, part advert for TV products, part recipes and part intro to the tiki theme for the Target crowd. The author writes recipe books (The Pancake Handbook for example) and I'm guessing is probably not a real tikiphile. The book opens with some TV history, which looks good enough. Next follows a section on how to set up a "Tiki Party" which, for the Tiki Central audience at least, is pretty damn lame (recommends mixing in reggae with your Don Ho but no mention of Denny, Baxter, Lyman etc, also that tiki ceramicware can be fun to collect but you really want to use clear glassware at the shindig for better presentation (WTF??)). There's also a lot of cheesy Trader Vics product placement (photos including Trader Vics brand rums but no Lemon Hart or Havana Club). They do plug Tiki Farm though, which is cool. The reason to buy the book is for all of the recipes; both food and drink. With a quick flipping of the pages I can say that I didn't see a single drink with more than .5oz lime juice!

The photo of the ahi poke has me drooling and I may have to whip some up this weekend

J

Okay dude I think we get what you're trying to sell... Maui Rum may taste like pumpkin pie, but I wouldn't know 'cause I wouldn't drink the shit after your attempt to hijack Tiki Central!

UB

On 2005-07-07 05:55, johntiki wrote:
Maui Rum may taste like pumpkin pie, but I wouldn't know 'cause I wouldn't drink the shit after your attempt to hijack Tiki Central!

Ditto!

M

Rummaker,

Seriously, what is your problem? Do you really think that redundant posts is the way to our hearts (and wallets)? If there was ever a bigger forum for people who love rum, I've never heard of it. All you're doing is just making sure we don't buy Maui Rum.

Are you affiliated with them or just an estranged jerk?

S

On 2005-07-07 09:34, MachTiki wrote:
Rummaker,

... If there was ever a bigger forum for people who love rum, ...

These guys are bigger rum lovers, but, hey, I bet we could drink them under the table...

M

Okay, so there is a bigger forum. But, we're a damn close second. :lol:

Rummaker... go bug them.

T

But can I order some online?

Okay, I know this is where you really are supposed to list all the drinks you've made. Yes, I am working my way through lots of recipes, but I have a problem with the Dr. Funk recipe listed in Intoxica. I made it and it seemed way to limey. So, I've checked the boards here and the TV version uses only 1/2 lime with almost all the other ingredients either the same or equal parts to the Intoxica listed recipe. Other people here have suggested the recipe is way to tart as well. I am wondering, is there a typo in the Intoxica recipe that should read1/2 lime instead of 2 1/2 limes? Has anyone else thought about this along the same lines?

I adjusted the Beachbum Berry recipe for Dr. Funk as follows: 3/4 oz lime instead of 2 1/2 oz and added 1/4 oz Rock Candy Syrup to the mix. This drink taste much more pleasant and similar to what I have found at Trader Vic's. It is also more in proportioned to most of the other Dr. Funk recipes listed on cocktail data bases. Perhaps this will encourage others to try and give the Dr. a new try and perhaps add him to the top 10.

T

After reading this, I'm beginning to thing the Intoxica! book is very lime-biased.
We tried another one last night - although I do forget which one, so it looks like I'll have to start marking up the thing with check-marks and li'l notes (meaning I'll hafta start all over again from scratch, what a shame) - and after unparching our mouths with a crowbar, we decided there must be a lime-typo in there or something.
I'll be making a sticky-note for the inside somewhere telling myself to cut the lime (lemon too?) by 3/4 to a half...
Now the only problem is where to re-start first?

PS - anyone know where to get falernum in Canada? Either I'm drink-addled or the book seems falernum-heavy...

...AKA "Thirstin' Haole the 3rd"

[ Edited by: twitch 2007-07-16 20:40 ]

S

Have to say that Beachbums own is probably one of the best i've had out of the ones i've made.Although i haven't actually rated them.I think i might start again and just do that.
I haven't had a chance to make a lot of them though because the only Demerara rum available here(Australia)is El Dorado,and its very expensive.Also Falernum has just come into the country but is not sold retail as of yet.
Haven't tried anything that calls for grapefruit juice yet either,as i dont like it,tough i'm sure it probably tastes better one mixed with all the other stuff.
swizzle

Pages: 1 2 3 95 replies