Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

AGWA Coca leaf liqueur

Pages: 1 15 replies

D

Has anyone tried this stuff yet? It's an herbal liqueur distilled from Coca Leaf! It actually tastes pretty good as a shooter but it also mixes pretty well as a substitute for rum in some of the Tiki Drinks I sell. It's got a cool foggy green color when it's cold and, yes, you do feel kind of an energy lift as you drink it.

Oh I love Agwa!

We do shooters of it all the time.

Kept in the freezer, it becomes the prefect temperature/consistency for drinking straight up.

Enjoy!

At the heart of Agwa are dry-roasted seeds of Gaurana, repeatedly used by Brazilians to improve the stamina of their love-life and their love of life itself.
The unique bitter/sweet taste is a result of the distillation many powerful flavours of S. America, most notably the coca leaf.
Inca messengers are believed to have chewed the leaves as a fuel to propel them at high speed through dense forest and today they are brewed as a tea in Peru to combat altitude sickness.
Agwa is the perfect drink to prepare you for the night ahead and the ideal flavour to stay with you until morning.
Try chilled as a shot, sip it gently or mix with cola.

[ Edited by: tikiwahine on 2004-05-06 14:33 ]

[ Edited by: tikiwahine on 2004-05-06 14:35 ]

UB

It's been a long time dtm3000.
Welcome back!

D

A few years back I started a yahoo group for AGWA http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agwafunhouse/ -I haven't updated it in a while...I guess I should...we have had some cool AGWA parties lately. At our last month long festival - Mardi Gras - it actually outsold Jager 3 to 1. We've also been doing something called the Bolivian Kiss - we got some dehydrated Lime Powder you lick before you do a shot of AGWA. It has a pretty cool effect you would have to try to believe. I love that stuff.

I have not tried AGWA yet but can vouch for the beneficial effects of the Coca Leaf.

In my several trips to the Andes mountains of Peru, I always buy a large bag of leaves for chewing at one the local village marketplaces, as well as a small, black ball of "llipta" - which is made from the ashes of various plants. You scrape a small bit of the ball with your teeth, and the chemical lime within the ashes helps draw out the alkaloids from the coca leaves you are chewing.

Never swallow the leaves - just chew. The chewing releases chemicals which take away hunger and the feeling of the bitter cold of the altitudes at night. Great stuff for long days of hiking. It also heightens your senses and acts as a stimulant.

Most hotels in Cuzco serve you Coca Tea when you arrive to prevent the onset of altitude sickness. It really works.

I think I might need to try a shot of AGWA to see if the taste or effects are similar.

Sabu The Cocoleaf Boy

TM1

I usually just cut to the chase and smoke a big bowl of crack....it really keeps you alert, and makes it easier to do car-jackings, gang-fights, etc.....most hotels in compton offer it to you in the lobby (or the alley next door..at any rate)

It's a great weight-loss tool, really! I mean, how many over-weight crack ho's do you know?

And it gives me energy while I am running thru the urban jungle, killing old people, beating up anyone who even looks sideways at me, drinking old -english straight from the bag....and the music coming out of my 600 watt alpine car sound system sounds much more clear....I can feel it in my bowels, and because it also has a nice laxative effect...well.....bombs away!!!!!

Crack, or coca leaves...really good stuff!!!!

I guess you can tell I am being silly, right?

DZ

I was just looking at a bottle of AGWA in Bristol Farms last night. I was trying to figure out if it would be a nice addition to my bar, but I didn't know anything about it or what to make with it - now I do! I'll pick some up next weekend!

J

On 2004-05-06 16:16, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Most hotels in Cuzco serve you Coca Tea when you arrive to prevent the onset of altitude sickness. It really works.

J

Oops...please disregard this message...a multiple post...

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2004-05-06 22:31 ]

UB

On 2004-05-06 16:45, tiki mick wrote:
I usually just cut to the chase and smoke a big bowl of crack

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-05-07 10:54 ]

UB

On 2004-05-06 15:29, dtm3000 wrote:
A few years back I started a yahoo group for AGWA http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agwafunhouse/ -

Well dtm3000,
Is that you pooring those shots? It really looks like you have your hands full (all four of them) on the bartending gig.
Unga is definately going to find a bottle!

L

On 2004-05-06 14:09, dtm3000 wrote:
Has anyone tried this stuff yet? It's an herbal liqueur distilled from Coca Leaf! ...and, yes, you do feel kind of an energy lift as you drink it.

years ago the peruvian gvmt allowed the exportation of a de-cocainized product of cocaleaf;
a prepackaged coca leaf tea.
called, as I remember; mate de coca

needed 6 or 8 teabags to feel anything.

Cocoa leaf contains about 48 viable alkaloids, one of which of course, is the infamous cocaine alkaloid.

It was distilled from the raw product and the remaining alkaloids, deemed legal and non narcotic, remained.

Turn of the century or thereabouts, had a wine in distribution called " Vin mariana" which became famous for its stimulant effect, and this was because it contained cocaine, back before it gained its current legal and sociological stature.

and of course this reminds us of the pervasive history of Cocoa Cola.... as everyone knows, took it's name from its main ingredients; Cocoa leaf derivative and the Kola nut extracts. (Later, cocaine was not used and caffeine replace the stimulant.)
The Kola Nut contains a unique constellation of Xanthines that are utilized as anti-stress, anti-fatigue substances.
This is how the drink got its name and it remains, along with all the other wanna be's and also rans.

Ococa maluna!

D

Looks like also have the 750's of AGWA for $19.99...that's cheap!

http://www.missionliquor.com/Store/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1049836461&BACK=A0004A1

DZ

Myself, ShipwreckJoey, PiPhiRho, and I forget who else (Hiltiki?) went through a full bottle of AGWA doing ice-cold shots of it at my party last week. (Yes, this is the "green stuff" I was pouring in the kitchen...)

It is definitely my new mostest favoritest shot! 100% Deeeeeeeeeelicious!!

The only problem is... now I need a new bottle...

H

Dr. Z all you have to do is to have another party. Hell, we'll bring the green stuff.

Pages: 1 15 replies