Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Cheekytiki New stuff, Tikis for Kanaloa

Pages: 1 2 3 4 171 replies

Aaron, I wish it was a cold foggy night, its been hot and humid for a week now, yesterday we had more rain than we usually get in amonth and its still not cooled down.
Virani I PMed you, the party's Saturday!

Wow, those carvings are really coming along! Amazing work!

I like the little bar you built, too - very nice. Hope the sun gets out this weekend for your party.

Trader Woody

On 2004-08-04 13:19, Aaron wrote:
Nothing like an ice cold martini out on the patio on a foggy London night, eh? :(

On 2004-08-04 15:14, cheekytiki wrote:
Aaron, I wish it was a cold foggy night, its been hot and humid for a week now, yesterday we had more rain than we usually get in amonth and its still not cooled down.

Correction:

Nothing like an enjoying an ice cold martini while relaxing in the balmy breezes on your London Lanai, eh? :)

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron on 2004-08-04 23:05 ]

[ Edited by: Aaron on 2004-08-05 08:47 ]

Seems like along time since I put anything up on here.
This is the Bar I had the honour of making for the Shag Exhibition here in London.

I've also got a few new tikis and bits and pieces on the go.

Very nice, Cheeky. I must build a bar of my own someday soon. Is the big bamboo, like palm wood, hard to come by in the U.K.?

Thanks Aaron, with the bamboo I found a supplier in London but I'm going through his stocks pretty quick ,theres a few more people doing it but prices vary a lot. Still no Palm but I'm having some brought in after xmas. Meanwhile I'm off to Oz and have some waiting there

SF

The bar looks great. I like the tiki masks on the front.

P
PEDDRO posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2004 7:04 PM

Cheeky: where in Oz you headed?

Hey PEDDRO I'll be in Sydney as from next Thurs for 4 weeks planning a trip up to Brisbane for a few days and I might even nip down to melbourne if I can get a cheap enough flight. Where abouts are you?

[ Edited by: cheekytiki on 2004-11-04 03:27 ]

T

That is one fab bar man! Was Shag upset that it distracted people from his art? (j/k!)But it is a pretty sweet looking piece to be at drinking a zombie at.

A
Artiki posted on Fri, Nov 5, 2004 3:59 PM

Cheeky....What Shag exhibition??? Where is it and when? I've heard nothing about this!!!

Hey Artiki, there was apost in tiki events about this. I'm sorry to say it closes this Sunday, hopefully you can make it

Very nice! Your tiki's rival any I have seen around here. What tools do you use? I am having trouble getting that kind of detail with a chain saw.

O
Octane posted on Sat, Nov 6, 2004 9:14 PM

bar and carvings look great. as always a good job

On 2004-11-05 15:59, Artiki wrote:
Cheeky....What Shag exhibition??? Where is it and when? I've heard nothing about this!!!

I hope you managed to get down there Artiki. The problem with the Tiki Events section is that so many events are happening abroad that it's not a section that we Brits tend to look at very often.

Sometime in the next few months I'm going to kick off the British Tiki Club (an improved name would be welcome!) so that news of events like this can get passed on effeciently and we can create a few events of our own.

Nothing too formal - and it'll be open to non-Brits too!

Trader Woody

Haven't posted much up here for a while but heres someting I just finished.
A set of bottle shelves, the wood was Really old French Walnut (could have even been petrified) and hard as rock.

B

Hey Cheeky Those are really nice. Did you level and cut out the shelf openings first and work out from there first? Awesome job. The wood loks beautiful to. Thanks for posting the pix.

Nice work Cheeky. Look fowrad to seeing those in the flesh (grain?)

Thanks guys, Yeah Ben I worked out where the sheves were going cut the slits and fitted the shelves in once they were carved.
Heres a picture of it in situ at Trailer Happiness(just voted best cocktail bar and best new bar over here)

[ Edited by: cheekytiki on 2005-01-25 13:38 ]

[ Edited by: cheekytiki on 2005-01-25 13:40 ]

B

I can See why!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 25, 2005 9:00 PM

I admit I didnt think too much of the shelf by itself.

Then i saw the bar shot - too damn cool. I want one!

Personally, I like it without all those bottles in the way! The wood color is really beautiful, Cheeky. Was this some antique wood beams that you picked up somewhere, or did you start with logs?

Tallented bastard!!!!
awsome looking shelves mate.
Have you been carving much since you got back?

Super cool. It looks great up against that black background!

AWESOME!!!!

I like how the mouths hold the shelves!!!

too cool!

This is beautiful work, Cheekytiki. Keep it up!

Top stuff Cheekytiki, hows the rum club going?

Thanks for the support everyone.
A-A yeah I found the wood tucked in the shed of a local hardware store, 8"x4" and 10' long and it took two of us to move it with difficulty to move it. It's strange carving really old wood because it is so dry, there is no give in the grain if you know what I mean, it's kind of brittle.
Bob, thats the pot calling the kettle black!
I've had abit more time recently to carve so I have a few more tikis on the go now which is nice.

Another couple of pieces finished

B

Cheeky, lookin great. Boy what a Find. I can just imagine All kinds of brand new Ancient items tucked away in some of those Old haardware shops. It must be like a treasure hunt.

Now how did I miss these? Great work, love the "ancient" finish.

Chheky is gearing up nice. I like the lil vader one. Very unique take in a marq. That finish looks kick ass as well.

Thanks guys, I really like giving the Tikis an old feel, These where carved out of Horse Chestnut which isn't the most exciting wood so I played around with the stain and varnish instead to get it lookin nice.

Finished this the other day, he's my new tiki fountain based on my logo. Still need to sort out his flow rate as it's abit 'piddly' if you know what I mean

B

It does seem a little "Piddly", but that is a minor adjustment Send him to the local urologist for a prostate exam and I'm sure he will be back in working order in no time!!.
I've been waiting for you to do this for a LONG time, thought you never would do it. Really loks cool. Now excuse me, I gotta go.

M

That fountain is super cool.

On 2005-04-06 02:48, cheekytiki wrote:
...Still need to sort out his flow rate as it's abit 'piddly' if you know what I mean

You could adjust the flow rate, or maybe raise the angle of the dangle, or just add some bubble bath to the bowl for the illusion of a more robust stream. He looks a like he's daydreaming a bit...

Excellent!

I hope to have the fountain I'm working on finished by next week... but in no way is it as sweet as this one! Great work!

K

Yellow food coloring, I say...

Killer Tangaroa... one of the coolest I've seen! How tall is it?

T

Luv the tiki's.

Haven't put much up recently, but here's acarving I just finished for awedding present.

On 2005-02-07 03:22, cheekytiki wrote:
Another couple of pieces finished

Jumping back to these guys... What did you do to the guy on the right to make him look so old? He looks age-blackened with dust collecting in the cuts.

V
virani posted on Thu, Aug 4, 2005 8:29 AM

I love the top of the head of the new one...excellent wedding gift

FA

On 2005-08-04 07:37, cheekytiki wrote:
Haven't put much up recently, but here's acarving I just finished for awedding present.

Wow that is a great carving! Can I ask, was the top of the head made to look that way or was that just natural to the way the piece was? And how big is he? Mahalo for sharing your work.

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Aug 4, 2005 9:31 AM

Sweet art! Hey, I'm getting married soon.... But, really, your work is top shelf mate.

Mahalo

When the tree was cut, it broke as it fell and thts why the top is how it is. I liked it.

excellent work cheeky.keep up the good work.cant wait to see more.

T

Yeah Dude, That drift wood top is so gnarly! Nice carving, great detail on it! Nice work in Paradirama too!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 171 replies