Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Cheekytiki New stuff, Tikis for Kanaloa

Pages: 1 2 3 4 171 replies

I REALLY like the design on this one. Will he fit on top of the wedding cake?

That is one impressive carving. The natural break on top looks awesome.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Aug 7, 2005 7:18 AM

Love the wild style of that present tiki. Too cool

F

Really really really REALLY LIKE THE WEDDING GIFT.

The others are to notch 2.

On 2005-08-04 07:52, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2005-02-07 03:22, cheekytiki wrote:
Another couple of pieces finished

Jumping back to these guys... What did you do to the guy on the right to make him look so old? He looks age-blackened with dust collecting in the cuts.

Sorry, I didn't reply earlier.
Freddie its a family secret passed down through the ages!
Well, no it isn't really.
For a start on that one I used a dark oak stain
To get that old look, what I do is as soon as you apply the stain to the wood, start sanding it back as the stain soaks into the wood.
Especially going over high spots and corners, almost or do take it back to the bare wood which gives highlights and a worn look.
The dust from sanding the stain wet wood tends to collect in recesses which I leave to get the dusty look.
Whack your beautifully carved Tiki with a length of heavy chain to give it a few dents and bruises, Then a quick brush over with some Satin varnish and again rub it off in places whilst it's wet.
Hopefully your Tiki comes out looking aged and a bit knackered ( which can look good)

H
hewey posted on Thu, Aug 11, 2005 5:59 AM

Sounds too easy for such great results. Cool

New 5 foot carving in Ash

VERY fine piece, Cheekytiki - everything from the design to the finish. He looks like he weighs a ton!

C

Wow, Cheeky them be some sweet lookin' tikis. I too dig the ancient looking finish. Thanks for sharing the staining tip.
Chongolio

woofle ball!!!!! :)

B

Another Nice one Cheeky. How tall is he? Where are you finding your logs?

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 3:40 AM

Love that new one too. Sweet style

Thanks
Ben , I found a tree surgeon that that has a HUGE amount of seasoned wood that he sys I can Have, I just need to get it.
There is one peice there that must be at least 12ft long by 4ft across that they are going to deliver and i am going to attenpt to carve.
Anybodys advice on tackling a peice this big would be appreciated.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 4:06 AM

On 2005-09-04 04:02, cheekytiki wrote:
Anybodys advice on tackling a peice this big would be appreciated.

Hell, your gonna need surveying equipment just to sketch out the design...

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 6:22 AM

Holy smoke! PLEASE post progress pics of that HUGE piece as you work on it. Include the delivery if you can. The pieces you have recently added are great. I especially like the natural break piece. Beautiful stuff.

-gman

B

What you need is a Big chain saw, a Lot of patience and stamina.
It is difficult carving a piece that large laying down, so level off the bottom and stand it up and use a scaffold of some kind that you can walk on safely and that you can raise and lower. I carved a 3"diameter tiki laying down and it was Barely doable. definitely take lots of progress shots so we can all help you carve it and BE careful.

I haven't posted any of my work for a long time, partly due to needing a new camera.
But here are some of the pieces I carved for Mahiki.

The Entrance

Couple inside

Menu Box Detail

http://www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/
[url]www.thelondonluau.co.uk[url]

[ Edited by: cheekytiki 2007-03-26 08:57 ]

[ Edited by: cheekytiki 2007-03-26 08:58 ]

wow, those are stunning! and I love the shadow boxes too! Cheeky, your work is great!

Amy

I love 'em. That Marq with the big crack looks a hunnert years old.
Great stuff.

Fantastic work Cheeky. We're working on getting some scratch together for a trip home and when that day arrives we'll be up fer a drink or two....

From one Cheeky to another.

M&M

H

Super stuff! I really dig those Lonos flanking the entry. That Tang in the booth kicks a$$ as well---hell, they're all great! Looks like a cool place too.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 26, 2007 7:57 PM

The entrance tikis and menu boxes are awesome! Very nice :D

Hows that big log coming?

amazing! i was gonna say 'ship that 12x4 piece to me, ill get the s/h.,' but i believe you've got it all under control. incredible work, CT! keep on keepin on.

Good stuff Cheeky! The Tang is my favorite, but they all look top notch and have a vintage finish.

Always great seeing artists work here in commercial establishments.

Congrats!

Cheeky,

Those are some super killer tikis. Next time I'm in London I'll have to make sure and check them out. Take care over there on the other side of the pond. congratulations on having your tikis adorning some excellent venues.

Will

Wow, Jamie, this shows that it CAN be done right, Tiki and class do go together! The folks at Trader Vic's should take some pointers.
If I find an easy fare, I'll come over for a nightcap from Cologne this summer...

F

Excellent stuff Cheeky, must be proud to have your work in such a prominent place, it's time Devon/Cornwall had similar places.
Regards
Flynny

Some stuff I'm working on at the moment for a show that starts on Thursday, hope to get a couple more out as well.
These are still to be finished sanded etc

M

You goooo booooooyyy!

That is looking damn Good!!

B

WWOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW.
I was waiting for so long for an update.
Your work is always very cool.

Benjamin.

B

Awesome stuff Cheeky, the Mahiki is Fortunate to be able to get your pieces and I Know they didn't pay enough for them no matter What you charged. Thanks for posting the pic's, we Love your work.

Thanks Guys, It's good to get time to do some carving again, especially now that the sun has decided to appear.

Nice work Cheeky. Good to see you carving some large pieces.

Nice work...as always.

B

Cheeky, This last guy is Really turning out to be a Super looking tiki. Very Well done.

H
harro posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 4:27 PM

hey cheeky, I just went through your entire thread - what a killer bunch of tikis!!

Must be cool to see your own tikis in sich fine public establishments like Mahiki and Trailer Happiness - I look forward to visiting those bars and SLP/TV's again next time I'm in ye olde London town.

I want to see more of your tikis! The progress shots are essential too!

cheers,
harro.

Couple more I just finished for a new Tiki bar opening here.
4 foot high in oak

And some Bar trays I created for Mahiki with carved pattern on the front

Next onto a couple of projects for Trader Vics that I am very excited about doing.

http://www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/
http://www.thelondonluau.co.uk

[ Edited by: cheekytiki 2007-10-14 02:32 ]

B

More Excellent stuff Cheeky. How fortunate you are to be the best tiki carver in town when they are opening up new tiki Bars! keep up the great work.

Thanks Ben, yes I am lucky in that respect, but it would be nice to have afew more carvers around.

Haven't posted any work in a long time, here are a few catch up bits and bobs

T

VERY NICE work!

Thortiki

On 2009-01-31 06:35, cheekytiki wrote:

Love these cheeky. Tell me, are those "cracks" painted on or real on the Lono?

Good to see you back from the "Woofle Ball" tour.

Awesome stuff!

p.s. Met Amos the other day in Vegas at Frankies.

Very nice chap.

Wow, I must say... you might just be my favorite tiki artist right now. Fantastic work! Amazing variety of tiki modern.

P

Love the tall trio.
They look fantastic.

T

:o Wow, they are all great! But can you tell me what the pieces in the second and third photos are used for? I'd guess, but I don't want to be shot down. :lol:

I'll take one of each please. :) :)

T

Sorry, this thing is way to slow this morning! double post

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2009-02-01 02:18 ]

S

On 2009-01-31 06:35, cheekytiki wrote:

.. these are stunning, the rest was just amazing!!! Nice work

Pages: 1 2 3 4 171 replies