Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

THE WHO or THE JAM???

Pages: 1 28 replies

Which one is more mod?

I figured I'd throw one on the this or that bonfire?

And to skewer my own post, I'm going with The Small Faces.

TG

The Creation

On 2004-05-28 20:56, freddiefreelance wrote:

The Creation

I nearly passed my Mai Tai out my nose when I read that!!!!!

Maybe I'll change my vote to The Pretty Things....

Oh and how long have you been in Poway, my wife is from there!

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-05-28 21:20 ]

[ Edited by: purple jade 2005-08-25 09:39 ]

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh The Chords!!!!

I was so happy When I found that record back in my scooter ridin days.

TG

D

Apples and Oranges, Gardener...

The Who were Mod when Mod was Mod. The Jam were Mod revivalists. Don't get me wrong, they were an AWESOME band. My fave tunes off the top of my head are 'Down In the Tube Station'(live version), 'Set the House Ablaze' , 'This is the Modern World' , 'Town Called Malice' and many others. If Mod was never invented, The Jam would have been it's fathers. They were both ahead of and behind the times. The Who, The Move, (and maybe even in America, The Nazz) and others were the true Mods.

On 2004-05-29 01:33, donhonyc wrote:
Apples and Oranges, Gardener...

The Who were Mod when Mod was Mod. The Jam were Mod revivalists. Don't get me wrong, they were an AWESOME band. My fave tunes off the top of my head are 'Down In the Tube Station'(live version), 'Set the House Ablaze' , 'This is the Modern World' , 'Town Called Malice' and many others. If Mod was never invented, The Jam would have been it's fathers. They were both ahead of and behind the times. The Who, The Move, (and maybe even in America, The Nazz) and others were the true Mods.

Indeed indeed indeed. Being a revivalist of the 70's, I posted this as a rather obscure tongue in cheek satire of the other this or that threads. But one that I was hoping would bring out the truly fun and high calibre responses it has so far.

But if you want to go one step farther for the fathers of Mod, we gotta go to James Brown, Motown, and all of the Bluesmen the English emulated, and adapted so well.

Can I change my vote to The Yardbirds?

But if anyone says Merton Parkas, theres gonna be blood.

TG

W

First wave ~ the who,the kinks, the move. Second Wave ~ secret affair, chords, purple hearts, merton parkas, lambrettas...I've always considered the Jam to be more of a punk band that morphed into power pop...but isn't that what mod music is anyways? (oops, did i mention merton parkas?)

[ Edited by: wikiwiki on 2004-05-29 09:31 ]

On 2004-05-29 09:18, wikiwiki wrote:
(oops, did i mention merton parkas?)

[ Edited by: wikiwiki on 2004-05-29 09:31 ]

You Need Wheels is one of those songs that gets stuck on infinite loop, and makes me want to pick up a hammer to try and dislodge it from my cranium.

edited to delete blatant overlook on my part...dang it!

[ Edited by: tikigardener on 2004-05-29 13:38 ]

T

The Crawdaddys!

The Who were never mods - they were dressed as mods by Pete Meaden when they started as the High Numbers. They played music that mods liked (R&B, Motown) early on so they had a mod following. But the mods' favorite bands changed as often as the length of the vents on their suits. They really became a great band when they ditched R&B and forged their own sound (half of the My Generation album, and later albums).

Small Faces were mods and had a sound that appealed to mods. They invented soul influenced hard rock. Steve Marriott was the best white soul singer ever, period. And they dressed as mods because they wanted too, not because somone told them too. I agree with TG on this one.

I would say Paul Weller was a mod in his own way. He didn't just copy the 60s styles but mixed it with punk so he was a true original. The rest of the Jam weren't mods. But Bruce Foxton had the best mullet of the punk era!

I used to love Secret Affair. I even saw them at the Whiskey-a-Go-Go in LA. But now their music makes me gag (as does the Merton Parkas, Squire, and the Lambrettas). I still like the Chords and the Purple Hearts.

W

...i agree with the secret affair thing..have you seen recent photos of ian page? He should have been the one to sing "I hope I die before I get old"... or at least promise to stop recording. Anyhoo, i don't think that mod was a music, as much as it was a movement that adopted bands...some bands tailored themselves to fit the movement to gain an audience or mods became bands, but to define Mod music is a bit of a sisyphean task, innit? :)

On 2004-05-29 15:06, thejab wrote:
The Crawdaddys!

Ohhohohoh! Now we're delving into fun territory. Lets see, The Big Express, Mach Five, The Event, The Trebles, Tell Tale Hearts, Donkey Show, and a host of other bands from the San Diego scene. I guess I could trhow in Manual Scan, Although the had the weakest sound of the S.D. mod bands.
Oh and San Diego's own resident English Band THE RISK. Whose albums do not do them justice.

Now if I can dig out my copies of In The Crowd...

TG

But Bruce Foxton had the best mullet of the punk era!

And still kinda has it.

K
Klas posted on Sun, May 30, 2004 11:03 PM

The Standells!!! :wink:

I'd have to say the Standells were ( along with The Sonics,The Monks, The Music Machine, Love, and a thousand bands that it took 40 years for their music to find distribution outside of their local area ) Garage Punk. Not that the monicker existed at the time, but they were a part of a prototypical movement that put on an attitude of not caring what the "Man" thought.

I remember being a kid in the sixties, and if someone called you a "Punk", it was as searing a swear word.

Garage punk of the sixties, the rivival that happened in the 80's with bands like the Fuzztones, and a fair portion of the current garage revival get a great deal of play in my little tiki corner. Something about the swagger 'n snarl of songs like "Psycho" matched by the snarl on the faces of my tikis is serendipitous.

TG

On 2004-05-30 10:59, purple jade wrote:

But Bruce Foxton had the best mullet of the punk era!

And still kinda has it.

A great bassist, if not as great a songwriter as Paul Weller. I have a copy of "Freak" around somewhere... Currently bassist for Stiff Little Fingers!

On 2004-05-28 21:09, TikiGardener wrote:

On 2004-05-28 20:56, freddiefreelance wrote:

The Creation

I nearly passed my Mai Tai out my nose when I read that!!!!!

Maybe I'll change my vote to The Pretty Things....

Oh and how long have you been in Poway, my wife is from there!

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-05-28 21:20 ]

I've lived in Poway for almost 9 years, but I lived in the Kankakee area of Illinois for 3 years prior to the last 6 months... and lived in Pasadena for 5-6 years (off & on) during the '80s, too.

Ah...the Standells. I haven't heard that name in a long time. They were regulars on a afternoon teen dance show aired in L.A. in the late sixties called "Where the Action Is". Other recurring bands were Paul Revere & the Raiders and Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs. My fave "garage punk" band of that era though was the Seeds. Getting back to mod, I'm gonna have to go with the Who. Coincidentally, I watched a great old Who performance last night on a DVD a freind loaned me called The Complete Monterey Pop Festival. It's a box set with a lot of outtakes never seen in the original movie. A must for Jimi Hendrix & Who fans.

This has been a fun thread to follow.

I learned cool stuff that I hadn't paid attention to before.

Were people allowed to like both Mod and Rock, or did you have to choose sides?

Another probably dumb question: With all the "Mod" bands people brought up, who were the rivals or adversaries?

I don't have a feel for the "either/or" part of this story.

Another thing I hadn't noticed. Just below this thread, slightly to the left...it asks us to pick our "Mod vote!"

Hanford is really keeping up with the threads, eh?

I guess I'll have to go with The Who, just based on how much I liked 'em back in the day.

[ Edited by: Geeky Tiki on 2004-06-01 11:00 ]

Well, to risk the slings and arrows of trying to distill a movement to a few words, For the Teds ( Teddy Boys ) It would probably be Gene Vincent. I'm not to sure of the Rocker/Teddy Boy music scene in England. Just as Motown,The Blues,etc were influences on Mod. So were the American rockabilly artists of the day.

Ok somebody else fill in all of the blanks that I've left open. I know you could float a battleship through them.

TG

[ Edited by: tikigardener on 2004-06-01 14:28 ]

TM1

Oh man!

Both those bands are really cool...as a bass player, I happen to think that both bands were certainly blessed with GREAT bass players!

bat man rules!

D
davew posted on Tue, Jun 1, 2004 2:34 PM

love the jam,their gig at the ritz in new york in 82 is still in my top 5 all time shows.--------dave from jersey

W

...hmmmmmm...the Mod's adversaries were kind of anyone that wasn't a mod...and made fun of their pseudo-straight-laced look. Rockers, Punks, Teds, Jimmy Buffet fans (ha! just kidding)were all a part of the "my music is cooler than your music" wars. Poor little new Romantics were always getting their butts kicked.....(but they looked good during the kicking!)Rent the movie Quadrophenia and you'll get a great snapshot of what it was to be mod...and get a goo at Sting in his very early years to boot!

On 2004-06-01 14:25, TikiGardener wrote:
Well, to risk the slings and arrows of trying to distill a movement to a few words, For the Teds ( Teddy Boys ) It would probably be Gene Vincent.

Gene Vincent & the Bluecaps, Eddie Cochran and Johnny Burnett were big in England back in those days. One of my favourite songs is (the late, great) Ian Dury's tribute song on his LP New Boots & Pantys - "Sweet Gene Vincent". In fact I think Eddie Cochran died in a car crash in England & Gene Vincent died later from complications of the same crash (or maybe I have it backwards).

On 2004-06-02 01:36, Shipwreckjoey wrote:

On 2004-06-01 14:25, TikiGardener wrote:
Well, to risk the slings and arrows of trying to distill a movement to a few words, For the Teds ( Teddy Boys ) It would probably be Gene Vincent.

Gene Vincent & the Bluecaps, Eddie Cochran and Johnny Burnett were big in England back in those days. One of my favourite songs is (the late, great) Ian Dury's tribute song on his LP New Boots & Pantys - "Sweet Gene Vincent". In fact I think Eddie Cochran died in a car crash in England & Gene Vincent died later from complications of the same crash (or maybe I have it backwards).

Eddie Cochran died in a T-bone crash while saving his girlfriend: He was sitting between her & Gene Vincent in a cab when a hit hit'em in the side door. Eddie saw the car coming, picked up his girlfriend just before the crash happened & swapped places with her, dying as the car crushed that side of the cab. Gene Vincent was suppodedly so distraught over this that he drank himself to death, but from what I've heard he'd been working in that dirrection already.

The Jab's right on about the Who's moddom. They themselves didn't identify as mods - in fact Daltry had been a Ted (he did always seem the odd man out. He was also the Who's token sober guy... but I digress).

By the time Quadraphenia came out, mods had lost their feel for the Who, and vice versa. That movie is all about the emptiness of the mod movement, or any movement built around uniforms and a strict canon of pop music. Jimmy the mod peels the onion to find the heart of mod. There is none. Ace Face, super mod, is only a bell boy. All Jimmy's mates tell him they just do it for a lark, really. That movie is genius in its dissection of fashion+music orthodoxies, and is ironically both solidly anti-mod and a great send-up of mod culture. Kinda like Clockwork Orange in that the side efect of its critique is a sort of ambivalent glorification.

Townsend has a great song about marching out in uniform that applies as well. Off "Empty Glass" maybe?

The Jam seemed to embrace their mod following a bit more. Well, a lot more. And they did a wicked cover of David Watts.

What about the Thamesmen?

TM1

They tapped into America!! At least according to sir eaton-hogg!!

DZ

On 2004-06-02 16:05, tiki mick wrote:
They tapped into America!! At least according to sir eaton-hogg!!

MORE TAP!!

Pages: 1 28 replies