Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki house remodel (updated 06-19-05 with patio pics pg 8)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 143 replies

Hate to be a pest, but since you are apparently North County and we are East County, I'd like to pick your brains on vendors (like the barstools). Where did you get the thatch fringe on your overhang (OA?) - it looks like you covered the top with split bamboo - OA also?

Your talent is unbelievable, and the ability to get so much done in such a short period of time is beyond me. Hope to see it in person some day!

dick

O

Mermaidhouse- We're not in North County, we're San Diego proper. The split bamboo and the thatch was purchased at Solai bamboo on Morena Blvd. You can find their info in the locating tiki forum.

The thatch comes 30" wide and you buy it by the foot. We just cut it in half height wise and nailed the bamboo over the top to hide the edge.

If you need anymore info, drop us a PM.

Aloha

P
pablus posted on Tue, May 3, 2005 3:52 PM

Yeah - it's pretty good and all...

...but it's missing something.

Hmmmmmm - let's see.

Oh, I know - it's missing a big, fat uke player/singer with a massive thirst for rum.

Onatiki, that's astounding! And I'm within party range! Thanks for sharing your big effort with us. You did a great job!

A-a

Love the sea turtle. Is that rubber, cement, plaster, pained wood?
I live in Sacramento so my plant choises are a little more restricted, but I am working on what was our pool area here in the apartments. When it was beyond repair they filled it in and made it a giant planter. It now has queen palm, windmill palm,pigmy date palm, blood banana,hibiscus, brugmansia, cannas, morea, hot pink pelorgoniums, blue potato tree,taro, bird of paradise and butterfly ginger with blue day flower as a ground cover. Now it just needs to mature a bit and I need to hang some tiki plaques on the fence and The Tiki Garden will be open for business by the 4th of July 4.

I saw your incredible lamp thread, but had missed this one.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

that bar is beyond words. No need to go out any more or waste $$$ on cab fare. Simply beautiful. Lookin' forward to june/july

Just went back through the entire thread again....AND with original GECKOS!!! OH, MAN you have the ultimate pad, my friend. Too cool, too cool.

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2005-05-06 17:20 ]

TR

Super Colassal!would love to see in person.
Aloha.

For once, I'm speechless! Your place is inspirational. Wow! Wow!

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl 2007-05-07 10:35 ]

Great work , I remodeled my entire house in Oceanside over the last 2 years and just started the back yard 2 weeks ago in a island theme.I carved my first tiki out of a piece of fire wood now I am hooked!

T

Absolutely Awesome!
I've been hit 5 times by my wife followed by" why can't you do this?"

GREAT JOB!

Ona!!
Paradise on Paradise.
A perfect example of what the love of Tiki can do.
Thanks for inspiring us all, and I can't wait to have the pleasure of visiting your "escape" some day soon.

Cheese and crackers!! I've been sittin here since 5/1, the day I first saw the updated pix, just goin whoa!! I was stunned! Absolutely top notch! I can hear Denny and ice melting.
On a personal note-your first pix inspired me to go the whole enchilada and redo the dining room all tiki all the time. The lanai has always been tiki, but now it's sprawling.
Thanks for all the tips you share with all us do it yerselfers! You should have classes on all the cool stuff you did. I'd pay!! Do you take Home Depot credit cards...?

WOW! Can I borrow you for awhile ..:wink:
Please..... post some tutes on how to make the lava looking formations....Did you make all of them....what recipe did you use? Thanks love your work :)
I need details....:wink: And your lamps are all so cool!....

B

I just want to say that I absolutely love your house. The night shots are amazing and the lighting is perfect. I can't even imagine what the inside looks like and the future projects will be like.

~Bowm

O

The patio is finally done and here are the last of the pictures. We're ready for the party!!

Here are a few shots of the front. It's getting to be quite a jungle!!

Thanks again for looking. Hope to see you at the party.
Aloha
:drink:

Aloha Ona,

Your Palapa's did they come as a kit? If so did they include the center pole, or did you have to locate that yourself? And lastly who and where did you get them from?

Oh and the legal question, do they come flame retarded already?

Erick

WOW...this is what all tiki bars aspire to be! I just can't afford this much tiki & I can't carve fast enough. Maybe I'll get to this stage by the time I retire. THANKS for sharing.

S

What's the story on this Tiki in the foreground? Carved? Cast? Sculpted? Could you post a close up of this one? It's awesome !

O

It's a birdbath!!

It's cast concrete and we bought it about 4 years ago at Armstong nursery here in San Diego. I've seen some people use it as a planter also.

Thanks for all the kind words. Keeps us motivated.

Aloha!!

S

Wow! That was fast! Thanks.

wonderful pics of a wonderful place...
great collection of tikis...thanks for
posting...truly something to aspire to!

T

Looks great... Party?

F
foamy posted on Tue, Jun 21, 2005 5:09 AM

Wow, that's nice. You're own little backyard resort. Too cool.

Hey Ona - WOW! is there anything left to do? We were talking at the Oasis and you guys had just finished the patio bar! What an amazing space, I had no idea that you had done so much prior to the patio.

Our house is about 75% of where we want it to be, (the baby's room is all that's left) and it's really great to see someone else's timeline.

The other day I had a lamp delivered to the office and everyone was asking what was in the big box, and when I tell them, they roll their eyes and say stuff like "I don't even want to KNOW what your house looks like..." OHHH, you'd be pretty impressed, I THINK :wink:

'Lay-people' assume tiki means tacky, which is funny, because of all the TC home bars I've seen, I've never seen anything tacky, just beautiful, creative and artistic. It was really gratifying this past weekend, we had a wedding shower and no one but the bride had been to our house before (she was our 'minister' at the Oasis wedding, so she knows...) But it was really great how all of her friends, in-laws, etc. LOVED our house, bar, art, etc. And I can guess that they would have been eye rollers, if told the party was at a house that was 'tiki'.

You've set the bar (pun intended) pretty high, and I for one REALLY appreciate it!

We will make it down to SD, not for the party, but someday!

Mrs. Pineapple

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jun 21, 2005 3:40 PM

oooh!

Your house was already waaaay impressive, and that just looks so much cooler again!

That kinda stuff blows me away - so creative, tasteful and yet still the quality of the work itself is so professional! Absolutely love it!

O

SandMan-sent you an e-mail.

TikiTammy-Thanks for the kind words. We love your tiki poles. Maybe one day we can have one of them in our yard. Keep up the carving.

Conga-Thanks!! Love your work too.

Thanatos- The party info is here

Foamy-Thanks, where have you been?? What new pics do you have for us to see??

Mrs P/Mrs T-bot or who ever you are at this moment :lol: It has been a lot of work but well worth it. We can't wait to see your place. Post some pics!! It's a shame you can't make the party. Next time you're in SD, look us up. We'd love to have you over.

Hewey- Thanks again. Hope we can party one day!!

Aloha!!

[ Edited by: OnaTiki on 2005-06-21 19:18 ]

ONA! I love it when this thread resurfaces...Your house is AWESOME!

I think it's funny that you said that your patio is finally finished - it looked beyond done the last update you gave - very beautiful. But, that's what's funny about a tiki bar...it's never done!

Absolutely stunning area - you'll have to fill me in sometime about all the different tikis you have and who carved them - it looks like you have many gems both inside and outside!

I'm hoping to make it down for the festivities

can't get enough of your pictures...thanks for posting them!

My wife still thinks the pond I built is paradise, so I won't be showing here this thread. Your place is looking quite awesome.

T

Thank you for having us over!!! You have done a fabulous job. Very nice work!

J

Most impressive! Your house is truly beautiful. I couldn't get over the before and after pictures. The transition to the paradise you created is amazing.

Now if you could just open a nightclub... :)

I think this needed a bump

T

What are the glass balls wrapped in a net hanging from the ceiling called? I have seen them in resturants and all of your wonderful home pictures but haven't found any for myself. Also where did you get yours? Thanks

B
Bete posted on Mon, Jan 16, 2006 3:35 PM

Onatiki, I just looked through your thread here, your place is way cool!

MG

On 2006-01-15 19:55, tikiexpy wrote:
What are the glass balls wrapped in a net hanging from the ceiling called? I have seen them in resturants and all of your wonderful home pictures but haven't found any for myself. Also where did you get yours? Thanks

Tikiexpy,
I supply Bosko with glass floats that he sells on his website. Scroll to the bottom of the page. The big ones come in 7 different colors. http://www.tikibosko.com/luau.htm#nautical

Linked over here from another thread. Wow...what an awesome place!!! So professional looking and definitely inspiring. :)

N

Saw this on a show that Tivo grabbed for me yesterday. The pics here are more revealing than what they ended up showing, but nice to see the owners getting some national recognition for their hard work. I can put the segment up on YouTube if anyone's interested.

B

Hi Numatiki, Welcome to TC, Glad to have you around. Come on in and stay awhile and try to ignore the Garbage posts that seem to be going around now. I would Love to see the show. I saved the show ("Look What I Did") for weeks and finally stopped recording it and I missed this segment. Ona and Moki's place is even More Awesome than Any pictures convey.

As usual Ona it looks great! I always loved your yard, it inspires me :)

Amy

M
Moki posted on Fri, Apr 27, 2007 6:06 PM

Thanks guys. Glad a few of you were able to catch it.

TikiTikiBoom managed to Tivo it for us and burn it to a DVD. If I can figure out how to upload that to youtube, I'll post the link here. If anybody else knows how and has the footage, go ahead and upload it.

Please do post on youTube.... I've been Tivo'ing the show for about a month now hoping to catch it... no luck yet.

TL

Very nice place you have. Well thought out and planned. How about some night time photos.
T1K1 LEE

[ Edited by: T1K1 LEE 2007-04-28 00:02 ]

B

Super nice pictures Moki!!

Has Ona made any progress on that monstrous drum he was hollowing out at the Chop before last? I have this mental image going on where you two are sitting around in that choice yard of yours, cocktails in hand, soft flicker of flame from the torches casting dancing shadows about, and the rhythmic sounds of that drum bouncing through the neighborhood as the twilight begins to fade to blackness.

M
Moki posted on Sat, Apr 28, 2007 11:09 AM

You paint a nice picture Babalu!! Unfortunately, the log is as it was when we left that chop. It's still drying out. But he will get back to it soon.

And when it's done, we'll invite you over to have a cocktail and listen as the rhythmic sounds as they bounce through the neigbhorhood. The neighbors will love it. No really, they will!! :wink:

Anyone know how Ona's has been? He doesn't appear to have posted since last July.

Oh wait... I guess that the "OnaTiki swag" thread was updated a couple days ago. Good to see a head poking up out of the woodwork. I was a little worried there for a bit.

Chris

N

As promised, here's the segment from the "Look What I Did" TV show on the OnaTiki Lounge.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z4QcuvZpJ0

N

On 2007-04-27 16:23, Benzart wrote:
Hi Numatiki, Welcome to TC, Glad to have you around. Come on in and stay awhile and try to ignore the Garbage posts that seem to be going around now.
Thanks! I've been lurking for a year or so, and am nearly finished on building my own home tiki bar. Should be done within the next couple of weeks.

M
Moki posted on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 11:26 PM

Thanks to NumaTiki for posting that link. Saved me many hours of trying to figure it out..... :wink:

F

Finally, we've been trying to catch that segment forever. Thanks for posting it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 143 replies