Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Bali Hai Mai Tai Recipe

Pages: 1 19 replies

Be careful with this one... it's very potent..

1 oz Light rum (I used Mt. Gay)
1 oz Meyers Origional Dark rum
1/2 oz Triple Sec
1/2 oz Oregeat
1 oz sweet & sour

Fill 14 oz glass to the top with shaved ice. Pour in the rums, triple sec, orgeat and spash it with a little sweet and sour (maybe an ounce..). Stir to mix and Garnish..

BE VERY CAREFUL.

:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tonga King on 2004-06-12 11:30 ]

You forgot the 1 oz. Sweet&Sour.

K
Klas posted on Tue, Jun 15, 2004 2:37 PM

On 2004-06-11 17:07, Tonga King wrote:

BE VERY CAREFUL.

Why? It doesn't contain more booze than most other tropical drinks.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Jun 16, 2004 8:50 PM

You really use a 14oz glass filled with shaved ice for 4oz of liquid?

DZ

I don't recall the Mai Tai's at the Bali Hai being very tasty - just toxic.

On 2004-06-16 23:27, Doctor Z wrote:
I don't recall the Mai Tai's at the Bali Hai being very tasty - just toxic.

I have a hard time recalling anything after hanging at Bali Hai also...

After this years Oasis, does anyone want to verify, or update, this recipe?

The Mai Tais at the Bali Hai are indeed very strong. They pour on the heavy side there. I don't consider myself a light weight and can surely take more than 4 cocktails in a single evening. But, I did 4 and 1/2 mai tais one night at the BH and woke up at my friend's house the next morning. Everything else inbetween is a complete mystery.

BTW - they also have what they call a Vodka Mai Tai which isn't on the menu but quite popular. I think its like a big Vodka sour. Pretty tastey.

On 2004-06-15 14:37, Klas wrote:

On 2004-06-11 17:07, Tonga King wrote:

BE VERY CAREFUL.

Why? It doesn't contain more booze than most other tropical drinks.

Are you kidding? There is almost twice as much alcohol as there is non-alcohol. It's good that the drink is served with a LOT of shaved ice(if that's correct), because it would melt quickly and dilute the drink.

Are you kidding? There is almost twice as much alcohol as there is non-alcohol. It's good that the drink is served with a LOT of shaved ice(if that's correct), because it would melt quickly and dilute the drink.

I think the recipe as originally posted is a bit lite on the actual amount of alcohol used. I've watched the bartenders make the drinks, and I think there is more than 2 oz of hootch in them. I once got heavily buzzed drinking half of a Bali Hai Mai Tai... and my liver isn't in all that good shape either! :)

As for the comment about Bali Hai drinks being toxic rather than tasty, I have to strongly disagree. I don't think the drinks are as good as Trader Vic's, but I prefer their flavor way above anything Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge produces.

On 2006-07-16 07:24, Chip and Andy wrote:
After this years Oasis, does anyone want to verify, or update, this recipe?

Yes, the recipe is correct. It is also listed in Beachbum Berry's Grog Log. I have found that it tastes even better with a half squeezed lime (rind and all) and up the Myers rum to 1 1/2 oz and cut back the sweet and sour to 1/2 oz. Then top it off with a BIG piece of mint! PERFECTION!!!!!!!

On the next one leave a few of the mint leaves in the shaker and make it again the same way!!!

Veeeeeerrrrryy Taaaasssttyy!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2006-07-28 15:12 ]

H

Jeff, you make it sound soooooo good. I just want to go and make one now.

On 2006-07-28 17:30, hiltiki wrote:
Jeff, you make it sound soooooo good. I just want to go and make one now.

And the problem with this is............?

The Bali Hai mai tai is my favorite but I altered it to my tasting. That's what makes mixology so fun. Making it the way YOU like it. It took some time and experimentation but that's what makes it so fun!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Does anyone know the new Mr. Bali Hai drink recipe? The one listed in Intoxica is no longer the one being used. The new one actually uses Lemon Hart 151 and seemed to me to be quite good when I bought the drink and mug last night. Ahhh, lets make that two drinks.

A

On 2007-07-30 22:09, telescopes wrote:
Does anyone know the new Mr. Bali Hai drink recipe? The one listed in Intoxica is no longer the one being used. The new one actually uses Lemon Hart 151 and seemed to me to be quite good when I bought the drink and mug last night. Ahhh, lets make that two drinks.

Consider what's listed on their drink menu, I'm guessing the current Mr. Bali Hai recipe is something along these lines:

1 oz Ron Rico
1/2 oz Lemon Hart 151
1 oz Unsweetened pineapple juice
1 oz Sweet & Sour
1/2 oz Crème de Mure
Combine into Mr. Bali Hai mug and stir.

I recently spoke with a bartender at the Bali Hai about their recipe and watched intently as he made several. The correct authentic recipe is:

1. fill a double old fashioned glass with crushed ice (they use a beaded type ice)
  2. free-pour approximately 1 ounces each of orange curacao and orgeat (he used a two second pour, pouring both at the same time)
  3. free-pour approximately 2 ounces each of Ron Rico light rum and Coruba dark rum (he used a four to five second pour, pouring both at the same time)
  4. splash of sweet and sour on top
  5. give it a quick stir
  6. garnish with a cherry and pineapple wedge

Bali Hai Mai Tai's are definitely unique and not your normal mai tai. Also they are not for the weak!

It's as strong as two standard Trader Vic's Mai Tais. In fact, it is approximately a double Mai Tail with different rums and sweet and sour mix instead of freshly squeezed lime and simple syrup.

A

This BH Mai Tai recipe makes sense as they always taste to me WAY stronger than the "official" recipe that Bali Hai occassionally provides to be printed in the local paper.

On 2012-05-28 18:44, arriano wrote:
This BH Mai Tai recipe makes sense as they always taste to me WAY stronger than the "official" recipe that Bali Hai occasionally provides to be printed in the local paper.

Perhaps their lawyers won't let them "officially" admit, to local papers, the potency of what they actually serve, for liability concerns!

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2012-05-28 21:24 ]

I could use one, or two...

Pages: 1 19 replies