Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Jack Lord, gettin' his props!

Pages: 1 22 replies

HONOLULU (AP) - Six years after his death, ``Hawaii Five-O'' star Jack Lord is being honored with a bronze bust at one of his favorite walking spots.

The 40-pound sculpture, which begins about mid-chest and is supported by a rocklike pedestal, is scheduled to go on display Saturday during a ceremony at Kahala Mall in East Oahu.

We decided on Kahala Mall because it was the place where you could always see Jack,'' said Doug Mossman, who had recurring roles as Lt. George Kealoha and Frank Kamana on the show. He'd stroll through the mall in shorts, aloha shirt and straw hat, smiling.''

Mossman and Esperanza Isaac, a ``Hawaii Five-O'' fan in England, co-chaired the nonprofit Jack Lord Memorial Fund, which raised the $10,000 for the bust sculpted by Hawaii artist Lynn Weiler Liverton.

Lord, whose real name was John Joseph Patrick Ryan, died at 77 in 1998 at his Kahala home from congestive heart failure. He was a dominating and often intimidating figure on the ``Hawaii Five-O'' set as he portrayed no-nonsense detective Steve McGarrett on the series that ran from 1968-80.

Lord is revered in Hawaii and credited with being the first star to require that local actors be given roles because he thought they were needed to capture the flavor of Hawaii. His wife, Marie, still lives in the couple's Kahala residence.

F

Good for Jack. Dragnet and Hawaii 5-0 were the only cop shows I ever watched or liked. "Book'em Dan'o".

That's cool.

I have a Jack Lord Fan Club aloha shirt, it's covered with beautiful wahines in cameo-esque ovals.

It’s great the sculpture is being put at Kahala Mall when I lived on that island you could see him like clockwork every Saturday morning at the tables in front of Safeway in his wide brimmed straw hat and pink sweater smiling at anyone who acknowledged him. At first is was almost surreal but after a while it became a staple and was more of and elders statesman.
One of my fondest moments as a kid was when they filmed a Hawaii 5-0 episode at my neighbors house and I was able to spend a few hours after school watching them step up for hours to shoot a 5 min scene. It wasn’t on the legend scale it is now and at the time I was more surprised to see men that looked so out of place wearing heavy polyester suits in the Humid climate. If only I still had the autographed picture Jack Lord signed to me with his special pen one of the crew held for him, alas.

Man, He's gone and he's still gettin the woman!
Great photo.

There is a 30s-40s hawaiian Swing band from Fort Collins, Colorado called "Book em, Danno!"

Just learned Jack Lords was almost fired from 5-O and almost played Captain Kirk on Star Trek.

That's interesting - Jack Lord is shown in one of the costumes from one of the early Star Trek films -- Wrath of Khan, or Search for Spock, etc. I'm not sure how that would have come into existence unless Jack Lord eventually attended a Star Trek convention or something like that. (I'm not a Star Trek expert by any means.)

Another thought... If Jack Lord had been cast as "Kirk" in Star Trek, would he then also have come to be cast as the Priceline guy? Inquiring minds, you know...

TM

He would have also been a great choice for that part.

On 2013-11-11 17:44, AceExplorer wrote:
That's interesting - Jack Lord is shown in one of the costumes from one of the early Star Trek films -- Wrath of Khan, or Search for Spock, etc. I'm not sure how that would have come into existence unless Jack Lord eventually attended a Star Trek convention or something like that. (I'm not a Star Trek expert by any means.)

Another thought... If Jack Lord had been cast as "Kirk" in Star Trek, would he then also have come to be cast as the Priceline guy? Inquiring minds, you know...

I'm thinking a pair of scissors and two publicity photos are the origin of that star trek photo

"A pair of scissors and two publicity photos." We called that 'Photosnip.' :wink:

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-11-12 08:53 ]

On 2013-11-11 18:36, lucas vigor wrote:
He would have also been a great choice for that part.

He had that "Federation officers look" so prevalent in the original series.

I recently caught a rerun of The Fugitive where he plays a philandering husband out to murder his crippled wife. While he was good, it was very disheartening to see him as a bad guy.

I always appreciated him as Felix Leiter in Dr. No. As always his super cool suave demeanor was a great fit for that character.

I bet this article by Jack Lord which includes some of his art work would be an interesting read....
I'll post it once my friend pretty-peaches gets 700 clicks - which will only take you dear reader 5 seconds and a click - which is vastly less time then it took me to scan this.

http://thepinupmag.com/pinupcontest/nggallery/page/4/
she's at the lower right

T

A 1974 publicity photo of Jack Lord...

-Tom

I still think this 1957 article by Jack Lord which includes some of his art work would be an interesting read....
I'll post it once my friend pretty-peaches gets 700 clicks - which will only take you dear reader 5 seconds and a click - which is vastly less time then it took me to scan this. or photoshop this horrible national lampoon cover.

http://thepinupmag.com/pinupcontest/nggallery/page/4/
she's at the middle right and thanks to the people who have clicked

[ Edited by: martian-tiki 2013-12-25 23:21 ]

A
Axle posted on Thu, Nov 28, 2013 9:32 AM

Awesome. Better late than never.......

I found this hilarious Hawaii Five-O drinking game online today at http://www.mjq.net/fiveo/sirah.htm and it contains many references to Jack Lord's Hawaii Five-O character "McGarrett." Try this and see how much hilarity ensues. Feel free to post your results (or your before/after photos of your liver) here - to honor, and in memory of, Jack Lord.

In case the URL expires at some future date, I've decided to paste the game text here with whatever credit(s) are currently shown on the web page. We all know how forgetful this computer interweb thingy can get at times...

=========================================

HAWAII FIVE-O DRINKING GAME (Sirah style)

Created by Sirah

This game is an outgrowth of one created in my college days, called "McGarrett", an homage to the popular "Hi Bob" drinking game which, everybody noticed, never got anybody all that drunk. It is quite possible to get completely toasted with the "basic" rules alone. If you're feeling especially adventurous, use as many of the subsequent "optional" rules as you like.

Additional note: some of these rules are similar to others posted previously -- great minds think alike.

BASIC RULES

Anyone says "McGarrett" -- 1 drink
McGarrett says "McGarrett" -- 2 drinks

OPTIONAL RULES

CHARACTER BITS: McGarrett runs down the steps of Iolani Palace to his car -- 1 drink
McGarrett answers the phone by saying "McGarrett" -- 1 drink (in addition to that specified by the basic rules)
Any Five-O member answers the phone or radio "Yes, Steve" without having been told it's McGarrett on the other end -- entire beverage
Any reference to Kono's weight -- 1 drink Kono's weight is quantified -- 2 drinks
Any member of Five-O, other than McGarrett, calls Danny "Danno" -- 2 drinks
Any two Five-O team members laugh together -- 1 drink
Any three Five-O team members laugh together -- 2 drinks
Any four Five-O team members laugh together -- entire beverage
Danno smokes a cigarette -- entire beverage
McGarrett is on the mainland for a trial and phones home -- 1 drink per scene
McGarrett gets blinded -- entire beverage
"Governor" or "Attorney General" is given a name -- entire beverage

LOCATIONS:

A construction site -- 1 drink per scene
Any mention of "Sea Life Park" -- 1 drink
Any member(s) of Five-O leave(s) Oahu to investigate a case on another island -- 1 drink per team member (drink as plane touches down)
Any appearance of the Byodo-In temple -- 2 drinks per scene

ACTION SEQUENCES:

A foot chase -- 1 drink
A car chase -- 2 drinks
A shoot-out -- 1 drink
A hand-to-hand fight -- 2 drinks
Somebody tries to kill McGarrett in a gruesome way -- entire beverage

PROPS:

A bullhorn -- 1 drink
McGarrett's transparent blackboard -- 1 drink
A reel-to-reel tape recorder -- 1 drink
A computer -- 2 drinks

BOOKING:

"Book 'im" -- 1 drink
"Book 'im, Danno" -- 2 drinks
"Book 'im, Danno (specifies charges)" -- 3 drinks
Someone other than Danno is to do the booking -- entire beverage

HAWAIIAN LANGUAGE:

"Aloha" -- 1 drink
"Mahalo" -- 1 drink
Any other Hawaiian word -- 2 drinks
Entire sentence or conversation spoken in Hawaiian -- entire beverage

ISLAND LIVING:

A luau -- 1 drink
A hula -- 1 drink
Surfing -- 2 drinks
Somebody sings "Ain't no big thing, bruddah" -- 1 drink
Somebody SAYS "Ain't no big thing, bruddah" -- entire beverage

AFFIRMATIVES (said by Five-O team member to McGarrett):

"Right" -- 1 drink
"On it" or "I'm on it" -- 1 drink
"Check" -- 2 drinks
"Done" or "Consider it done" -- 2 drinks
"OK" -- 2 drinks
Any other brief affirmative -- 3 drinks
Any of the above followed by "Boss" -- 1 additional drink

FOR ISLANDERS ONLY:

A street address (or cross street location) is given -- 1 drink
That street doesn't really exist -- 1 additional drink
A cross street location is given, but the two streets do not really intersect, or do not really exist -- 1 additional drink
Local island personality appears as him/herself -- 2 drinks

CREDITS AND TITLES:

"The Wave" -- 1 drink
Your local station cuts out the "Wave" -- entire beverage
"Al Harrington as Ben" -- 2 drinks
Al Harrington appears as someone other than Ben -- 1 drink per spoken line
"Herman Wedemeyer as Duke" in opening credits -- 3 drinks
Herman Wedemeyer appears as someone other than Duke -- 1 drink per spoken line
Episode title is exactly one word -- 1 drink
Episode title is a complete sentence -- 2 drinks
Episode title contains punctuation -- 2 drinks Episode title is phrased in the form of a question -- entire beverage
The episode title is used in dialog -- entire beverage
The series title is listed as "McGarrett" -- entire beverage
"To Be Continued" -- entire beverage
A shot from the main title sequence appears within an episode -- entire beverage

POLICE PROCEDURE:

Any member of Five-O shoots at an unarmed person -- 1 drink
Five-O refrains from shooting an unarmed person because "We need him alive" -- entire beverage
Any member of Five-O loses someone they're tailing -- 1 drink
McGarrett gets P.O.'ed at a Five-O team member for screwing up -- 1 drink
McGarrett gets so P.O.'ed that he slams something down onto his desk -- 2 drinks
Five-O accused of corruption -- 2 drinks (as accusation is made)

MISCELLANEOUS:

Any reference to Vietnam -- 1 drink
A caucasian actor appears as an Asian character -- 1 drink per scene
Episode is from 12th season -- switch off TV and keep drinking

Have fun. Do not drink and drive. :D --Sirah

Ya Gotta Be Tough To Act
by Jack Lord
mr. magazine
vol 1 no 3
January 1957
high resolution scans at
http://martiantiki.com/mr-v1n3-jan1957/

M

The article helps answer questions of why Jack would actually throw himself on the floor clutching Sheldon's legs and literally beg not to be fired for an infraction of standards in the middle of 5-0. He'd made it big and was suddenly seeing it all disappear before his eyes, fearing a return to typical actor struggles.

V

On 2013-12-26 11:59, msteeln wrote:
The article helps answer questions of why Jack would actually throw himself on the floor clutching Sheldon's legs and literally beg not to be fired for an infraction of standards in the middle of 5-0. He'd made it big and was suddenly seeing it all disappear before his eyes, fearing a return to typical actor struggles.

It actually doesn't. Eddie Sherman was always writing garbage about Jack. Jack and Leonard Freeman were close friends who worked together years before. Freeman's wife, Rose, always commented on what good friends they were. She would not say that if this incident really occurred.

Jack was already a millionaire by the time he did Hawaii Five-O, and made more money afterwards. He earned one million from doing his earlier series, Stoney Burke. It was cancelled after one season, but Jack performed as Stoney in rodeos and made money off that. He was in a position to pick and choose his roles.

Jack also became wealthy from doing Hawaii Five-O in the first few years it was on. He made $2 million in 1971. He didn't need to keep doing Hawaii Five-O for the money, and if he was so upset about losing his job whenever this incident occurred, why would he have been so willing to walk off the set in 1973, when a producer brought a visitor to the set, violating set regulations. He was so upset at the prospect of losing his job over an alleged letter which was never produced but yet willing to walk off the set of the show a few months or a year later? That doesn't make sense.

The letter that Sherman claims Jack was told about never surfaced, and when would Leonard Freeman have had the time to get in touch with Lloyd Bridges to have him replace Jack? All this happened over the course of a few days. If this really happened, Freeman would have more important things to worry about than replacing Jack.

Sherman conveniently was not there when Freeman confronted Jack. He was next door, and reports on what Freeman allegedly told him when he came back. If he said he had gone into Jack's apartment, that would have caused a lot of questioning to confirm if this did happen or not. Sherman published his book in 2006, one year after Marie Lord, Jack's wife, died. Jack and Lloyd died in 1998 and Leonard Freeman in 1974.

I've spoken to Jimmy Borges, Jack's friend and co-star and a woman who was friends with Jack. Though they had heard the rumor, no one they knew connected with the show ever said it happened. If it did, it would have surfaced long before Sherman published his book.

Pages: 1 22 replies