Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Top 5 drink choices.

Pages: 1 27 replies

T

So what do you think are the must have 5 drinks to be served?

If you can't
make it to the party,
make your own.
http://www.tiki-asylum.4t.com

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-08-03 04:25 ]

My wife's favorite drink:

-Smooth Sailing-

Equal parts Vodka, Triple Sec, orange juice, cranberry juice, and sweet and sour mix. Mix in a hurricane glass (or tiki mug!), garnish with fresh fruit and and umbrella.

Easy to make, tastes tropical, and every bar has the ingredients.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Jul 6, 2004 1:11 PM

You can always order a batch or Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix. They use it at Trader Vic's, so it must work! Just add rum and a 1/4 lime and mint on top.

Try this one.

It was suppose to be the original Blue Hawaii but after a week of drinking this I realized that I grabbed the wrong bottle at the store and had been using Margarita mix instead of Sweet&Sour.

I'm not sure how different the two are from one another but with the Margarita mix this drink is awesome, super light and smooth. It's my signature drink in my home bar but I changed it to the "Blue Florida".

3 oz. Pineapple juice
1 oz. Margarita mix
1/2 oz. Blue Caracao
3/4 oz. Vodka
3/4 oz. Light rum

T

On 2004-07-08 08:08, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Try this one.

It was suppose to be the original Blue Hawaii but after a week of drinking this I realized that I grabbed the wrong bottle at the store and had been using Margarita mix instead of Sweet&Sour.

I'm not sure how different the two are from one another but with the Margarita mix this drink is awesome, super light and smooth. It's my signature drink in my home bar but I changed it to the "Blue Florida".

Maybe you should have called it the BLUE FLOUNDER a great drink after a great artist!

[ Edited by: tiki-toa on 2004-07-08 08:38 ]

F

I grabbed the wrong bottle at the store and had been using Margarita mix instead of Sweet&Sour.

A Margarita is tequila, triple sec, and sweet and sour. So isn't the Blue Florida the same as the Blue Hawaii except with maybe a little orange flavor added?

T

On 2004-07-08 08:24, finkdaddy wrote:

I grabbed the wrong bottle at the store and had been using Margarita mix instead of Sweet&Sour.

A Margarita is tequila, triple sec, and sweet and sour. So isn't the Blue Florida the same as the Blue Hawaii except with maybe a little orange flavor added?

Well does a Margarita have Vodka and Rum? That might make it a lil different, but hey who am I to say anything, I just order them and drink them, do not worry to much what is in them, and around here I know that is bad but oh well.

I'm not sure. Margarita mix is lime based I believe. Is Sweet&Sour lime based?

Maybe I should make a Margarita with Sweet&Sour! LOL

On 2004-07-08 10:02, FLOUNDERart wrote:

I'm not sure. Margarita mix is lime based I believe. Is Sweet&Sour lime based?

Maybe I should make a Margarita with Sweet&Sour! LOL

Ah, good point. I'm sure if you look at a real margarita it probably contains lime juice, and not sweet and sour.

If you use margarita mix for a margarita, all you're adding is the tequila. If you are using sweet and sour, you are adding tequila and triple sec. So the two should be very similar. I suppose the best drink would be made with fresh lime juice to avoid the whole issue.

A real Margarita is Tequila (usually a good quality white but sometimes a Reposado), Cointreau & fresh squeezed lime juice. It's basically the Mai-Tai of the Tequila drinking world.

DZ

I've always made my margaritas with Rose's lime juice, as opposed to fresh lime. Being a 'sweetened' lime juice, I find it compliments the orange of the Cointreau/triple sec (although I prefer Citronge) nicely. I also use a straightforward "3-2-1" recipe: 3 parts tequila, 2 parts lime, 1 part orange. Rocks, no salt. (I've never actually had a margarita with fresh lime, but I'll try it out next time!)

Until recently, had never seen a Kamikaze with fresh lime either... (mine: equal parts Rose's, triple-sec & vodka)

D

TikiToa,it looks like you can add Margarita to your top five drinks list.

T

Top 5, I thought this was the Margarita discussion group.

"Tiki are like potato chips, you can never just have one"

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-08 13:07 ]

Here's a vote for Mai-Tai. I even like the Hawaiian Hotel version, especially if it's a double served in a hollowed out Pineapple.

Here's one I've concocted that even my wife will drink. Maybe you can help me name it:

in a rocks glass:

1.25 oz gold rum (Bacardi)
1 oz coconut rum (Cruzan)
0.5 oz triple sec
0.25 oz amaretto liqueur
0.5 tspn Rose's Grenadine
1 tblspn Rose's sweetened lime juice

Shake and serve or mix straight into the glass. Try subbing Sailor Jerry's for the Bacardi. It's sweet and smooth but fairly strong.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Jul 10, 2004 6:05 PM

I have a confession to make. I... I don't actually really like the Trader Vic Mai Tai (as given in Vic's book and Beachbum Berry's book). I'm a dirty stinker. To me it tastes like I'm sucking on a lime. I got some Rhum Barbancourt a couple weeks ago and thought this'll make a fine Mai Tai. Still tasted like lime, no difference! The lime is overpowering. I've had a Mai Tai at the Chicago Trader Vic's and I don't remember it tasting at all like the one in the recipe books. I dunno. I've got a bunch of key limes and I'm going to try a TV Mai Tai made with key limes later.

I really dig the Surf Room Mai Tai in Intoxica! Excellent. Flounder, if you need some Demerera rum, Wally's on Mills Avenue has four different types of El Dorado.

I don't have any margarita mix but next time I see some I'll grab it so's I can try the Blue Florida. The Blue Hawaii is one of my favorite drinks so I'd like to compare.

I know this isn't a "show us your original drink thread," but since others have... I've been trying to pimp this drink recipe out but no one's told me they've tried it yet. Mmmmhmmmm good. I swear! Try it!

Rabid Mongoose:
2oz White Puerto Rican Rum
2oz Cruzan Black Strap Rum
1.5oz Sweet and Sour
.75 oz TV Orgeat Syrup
.75 oz Fresh Key Lime juice

Shaken with shaved ice and poured in a large rocks glass

H

Tiki Toa, the bartender at a restaurant near by gave me this recipe, I made it for forty or so people they all asked for few more drinks. He called it Hawaiian lei it is one ounce vodka one ounce rasberry liquor (Gaetano) 1/2 ounce cranberry juice 3 onces pinapple juice mix and serve over ice in tall glasses. with an umbrella, and pinapple if you like.

Mahalo to evryone for your drink suggestions and recipes, they all sound so yummi! I can not wait to taste test some of these.

as much as i try to devour tiki culture...
i have to admit....i can consume many more
tequila beverages than rum...and there is
something to be said for volume...
the best tequila recipe to me is 2 shots
tequila (100 per cent agave tequilas)...
1 shot triple sec...squeeze of fresh
lime...and a shot of limeaid (from the
concentrated can)...and always...on the
rocks instead of blended. see ya guys in
Oshkosh in August...tell em to have a decent
tequila and my wife and i will drink most
of the bottle. (better than jose cuervo)

HH

Forget the bottled sour mixes, the chemicals in those make for a terible cocktail. It is quite easy to make your own sour mix, just equal parts fresh lemon juice and simple syrup. SS is made by combining hot water with sugar, preferably super fine sugar. Nothing makes a better cocktail than fresh juice. There are two books with classic recipes in the Intoxica, and the Grog Log. Both available at Amazon.com. Trader Vic's classic Mai Tai, Singapore Sling, Zombie, Planters Punch are all great tiki cocktails.

TM
M

Fresh sweet and sour makes a drink. I use the following recipe, which I got from Alnshely (though I may have changed it):

4oz fresh lemon juice
4oz fresh lime juice
8oz simple syrup
8oz water

Here is a list of what I think are the best of the best: my favorite drinks containing my favorite rum--Lemon Hart Demerara Rum.

1. Demerara Dry Float. A Don the Beachcomber masterpiece. It's in Intoxica, and I feel it is the ultimate embodiment of a good tiki drink--it's a perfect balance of sweet, sour, and boozy; it's complex; it's refreshing; and it tastes great from the first sip to the last.

2. Mai Kai 151 Swizzle. I got hooked on these at the Mai Kai, enough so that I decided to take the time decoding their formula. It's similar to the version in the Grog Log, with the addition of Grapefruit Juice and a little Passion Fruit syrup. It MUST be served in an aluminum cup packed with shaved ice, garnished with a cinnamon stick

3. Navy Grog. The recipe in the Grog Log is the best one going, and it's best when made with the optional ice cone on your straw. Make a trip to the Mai Kai for their excellent "Yeoman's Grog" which is basically a slightly fruitier version of the Navy Grog.

4. Headhunter. I made my first one last night, why oh why did I wait so long? (Wait, I know--because it contains Peach Nectar and Papaya Nectar and I usually can't locate both at the same time.)

5. Queen's Park Swizzle, aka Noa Noa. Think of it as a Demerara Mojito. Minty, refreshing, complex, and STRONG. The Grog Log suggests using brown sugar. You can still order one of these at Trader Vic's, although it may not be listed on the menu and they don't use Demerara Rum anymore. Rumor has it it was removed from certain Vic's menus because a patron at the Beverly Hills location had one too many and greased somebody with his car.

TB

1.) Reverb Crash
2.) Mojito
3.) Beach Bum's Own
4.) Planter's Punch
5.) Lapu Lapu

P

FIrst:

K
Kono posted on Tue, Jul 27, 2004 10:51 PM

On 2004-07-27 20:54, pablus wrote:
A good rum with a squeeze of lime and a dash of pineapple makes a decent cocktail. I don't think it has a name but it sure is easy and good for the "martini" crowd who seem to love it when I make them.

I've been wondering if there's a cocktail that would be good as a relatively neutral yet complementary mixer for comparing the tastes of various premium rums. I'm going to try the squeeze of lime and dash of pineapple.

It might be good to have some orgeat syrup on standby.

Any rum experts have a recipe to compare different rums?

in no particular order (and all pretty common too):
1)singapore sling
2)suffering bastard
3)lapu lapu
4)zombie
5)scorpion

....boring, simple, but any of them will get the job done every time wisking me away to my drunken tiki paradise

TB

On 2004-07-27 16:44, Tiki Bird wrote:

1.) Reverb Crash
2.) Mojito
3.) Beach Bum's Own
4.) Planter's Punch
5.) Lapu Lapu

Had 4 out the 5 at Z's party this last Saturday! Probably would replace the planters punch with Lady V's "White Lifesaver" now!

Pages: 1 27 replies