Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

Here is my lovely daughter Brook displaying a plater or Spicy Chicken Skewers in the Bananbobs yard.

It was a Tiki Fathers Day indeed!

O

On 2008-06-12 21:01, bananabobs wrote:

Sabu, you have been quiet lately on TC, hope all is well and again we raise a tall rum drink to the Master of the Grill!

Yes Sabu, hope everything is OK, I raise my Mai Tai ro the master of the grill who has made many people happy at my place after having Sabu's Secret Chicken.
Thanks for it not being secret anymore. Now how about sharing that shrimp recipe that everyones raves about? :wink:

Bannanabob, happy fathers day and thanks for the great pictures!:)

So did anyone try this with shrimp or fish instead of chicken, and did it work???

No, but I have made it substituting Passion fruit Jam (Goya) for the Apricot jam with excellent results.

K

What type of curry powder is everyone using for this? I bought McCormick's curry powder which is yellowish Indian type, but hubby wonders if the red Thai type curry might be better.

The plain-old yellow Curry Powder like McCormick's is what I use and it works great. Good luck, and enjoy!

Sabu

K

Thanks Sabu! We've actually tried both now. Hubby likes the red better and I think they're both good. Can't wait to see how the Texas ohana likes them this weekend.

K

Here's another presentation idea, and of course they were a hit!

C

I just got back from a big party where I made some of Sabu's chicken skewers.
I used the coarse ground country style Dijon mustard and I cut the chicken into chunks marinated it for two days and then skewered it and grilled it.

They turned out great and they were the hit of the party.

Yummy!

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2008-09-03 03:56 ]

CJ

Amazing stuff! Everyone has to try this

I tired these a while back for our annual summer tiki party and they were wonderful. I did make a couple adjustments though. When I went to buy the apricot jam they had apricot pineapple right next to it. I thought the apricot pineapple would be a nice switch since pineapples are tropical and all. Also, instead of chicken breast I used tenderloins. That way I didn't have to cut them and weaved them in and out on the skewer giving in a very nice presentation that many commented on. Everyone loved them and I gave out the recipe to more than one person. One of the women served them at a dinner party she had the following week and they were a big hit there, as well. I didn't do them on the grill, but instead cooked them under the broiler with foil over them to prevent burning. I wanted to be able to put out my food and enjoy the party. I also made a dipping sauce to go with them. I mixed sour cream, some of the leftover coconut milk, and some of the left over shredded sweetened coconut, not toasted. No exact measurements. Just mixed them up until the coconut flavor really popped and it was thick enough to stay on the chicken without dripping all over the place. YUM!

BUMP

It's Springtime on the Lanai...

...time to try out Master Sabu's chicken recipe. Got some marinating in the fridge right now - it looks & smells great, can't wait to BBQ it tomorrow!

You hate to mess with perfection, but I think some of you are on the right track trying out other jams/preserves. I'm thinkin' Mango, Passion fruit, Ginger-Orange, Lime Marmalade, Guava Paste, Banana Jam(?!, OK maybe not banana), hmmmm

I had enough Coconut milk and Apricot jam left to make another batch. I mixed up just the marinade (no chicken) and froze it, we'll see how that works out :)

EDIT - Oh man, that recipe is all kinds of awesome! We were all over it like a hobo on a ham sandwich! Thank you Sabu! I'm allergic to shrimp so I won't try that, but it would be great with pork. It would also be good with some pineapple chunks added to the skewers :)

I'm gonna sit right here, I'm gonna watch the sun
Disappear into the ocean, it's been years since I smelled this salty sea.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-04-09 19:26 ]

H

On 2007-10-26 13:09, bigkahuna627 wrote:
I made this last night, it was so good I ate the leftovers for breakfast.

Obviously bigkahuna627 didn't prepare these quite right, 'cause if he did, there would have been no leftovers.

O

Sabu chicken made by Chef Jonny Machete at Ventiki Tiki Lounge. After making this recipe a dozen times, I thought I had it nailed. The other night at Ventiki's grand opening, I had the Sabu chicken with his secret sauce. When I saw Chef Jonny later I complimented him on the chicken and asked what was in the sauce.

"It's a secret" he says. OK, I thought, you're on!
So now I'm on a quest to fiqure it out. If any of you go, please send me a PM with your take on the "Secret Sauce", maybe we can solve it and start a thread like the one for Ray's Mistake.

Close to Ten years and this is still my go to chicken recipe when I want curried chicken perfection! Making some tonight, where ever you are Sabu, Thank You!!

Is it Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewer time again!
Saw Sabu last night & it was good.

T

On 2014-04-01 14:21, Mike the Headhunter wrote:
Close to Ten years and this is still my go to chicken recipe when I want curried chicken perfection! Making some tonight, where ever you are Sabu, Thank You!!

Me too!

T

So without bribing/bludgeoning Chef Jonny for the secret sauce, what kind of finishing sauce do the rest of you use? My pictures don't look as good as the Ventiki ones, but there's sure a whole lot more on the plate! Yum!

It depends on what is in the dish... so what are the seasonings?

T

On 2014-04-02 19:03, wizzard419 wrote:
It depends on what is in the dish... so what are the seasonings?

Sabu's recipe, first post of this thread

Oh I see... possibly something like a Korean BBQ used sparingly...

The lady and I vouch for the yumminess of this recipe as well. We made it with grilled pineapple and brown rice. I don't know how many people this is supposed to feed but we made half the recipe and devoured it ourselves. Looking forward to making them at our next gathering.

Pages: 1 2 69 replies