Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Disneyland Pele tiki mug - can somone pick one up for me?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 211 replies

HRT

I just had the pleasure of touring Holdens place as I am a "dealer/customer" of "the farm", rest assured that Holden is growing this business with calculated abandon!! I saw new projects & old stuff. It was cool to meet Drew & wife, Frank and everyone. The Farm rocks!!Mahalo, Don

I always thought that Tiki Farm worked out of their garage!!?? Silly me.

No, they work out of a barn... FARM getit?!?!?!

Just kidding Ben, don't go pirate on me...

T

On 2004-10-08 23:30, smogbreather wrote:
add the cost of travel plus the cost to get into Disney plus the cost of the mug plus the cost of a hotel room and perhaps a rental car...

It's the only way I justify an ebay purchase. To quote Homer Simpson, "It's just a little waterlogged. It's still OK."

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-10-09 23:11 ]

L

Ok, Ok I didn't mean to denegrate your mugs, I mean hell I collect them, but i'm happy to have another shot at one of these without having to snipe somebody and pay 4 times the original retail. I also certainly agree that a trip to Disney is costly in several ways as I experienced last spring with my ever grateful offspring.

I've been a "field hand" on the Farm since the beginning. Their mugs are the one thing that keeps me excited about my business. The quality and variety has grown immensely since their inception. I've delt with many fly by night companies with agressive salesmen, Tiki Farm is the exact opposite. It's like going on a quick vacation when dealing with them. They are honest and always inform if/when runs are behind.

The Disney mugs are incredible! I made a visit and purchased a few, I was able to get a Pele mug from Mouseshoppe all because of Tiki Central giving me the "heads up." Sometimes you have to look at your priorities in life, having a stroke over not obtaining a current issue mug is not healthy. Use the forum to your advantage. We have the upper hand on the eBay scalpers here. If you miss the boat someone here is on your side to trade or sell. That's why I keep coming back here.

**sniff--i need a tissue

Tikibelle and I were just at Disneyland yesterday (Monday). The Adventureland Bazaar employees said they had gotten a shipment of Pele in on Saturday, and that they had immediately sold out. (arrrggh!). They still had plenty of the "teeny tiki" mugs in various colors.

Sabu

I was there on Sunday & there were none to be found...

On 2004-10-11 00:04, stuff-o-rama wrote:
I've been a "field hand" on the Farm since the beginning. Their mugs are the one thing that keeps me excited about my business. The quality and variety has grown immensely since their inception. I've delt with many fly by night companies with agressive salesmen, Tiki Farm is the exact opposite. It's like going on a quick vacation when dealing with them. They are honest and always inform if/when runs are behind.

ah man Teri... thanks. you have stuck it out since day 1 when I did a p.o.s. (piece of shit!!) booth at a show I had no idea of and we were new and scared and the only tiki exhibitors in the show of about 3000 big "gonna eat you up" companies ... thanks a lot Teri for your support!
Mahaloz,
Holden

Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster and all that. I've spoken with quite a few of you on the phone over the past few weeks / months, and I appreciate the kind words several people have posted here about us. I know that "dealers" are often considered slightly above toe fungus on the food chain, but we do try to be fair in our pricing.

I thought I'd post an update on the Disneyland mug situation. As of this morning, Disneyland had NO mugs - no Teenys, no Totems, no Peles. A very nice CM looked at an on hand / on order report, and said that there are also no mugs in the Disney warehouse.

This is probably why we're all getting conflicting messages from CMs about the status of future shipments - it looks like the additional mugs send to Disney have not appeared on their inventory database.

Some TC members asked us to put together a "waiting list" for Pele mugs, and I know several of you have called us this week because you read that Pele popped up last weekend, yet you didn't get a call from us.

When the mugs appear at Disneyland, they only put out 8-16. When those sell out, often in minutes, that's it until the next shipment from the warehouse. Since we were not standing at the store the second the mugs were unpacked, we didn't get them. Trust me, we didn't have a change of heart and decide to sell them on eBay - we just don't have any.

We are not adding any more names to our "waiting list," and we hope that enough mugs will be released that we can get them to everyone who asked for them. I appreciate your patience - we're at the mercy of Disney's distribution system, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Adrienne
MouseShoppe

M

Adrienne,

Thanks for joining TC to fill everyone in on this. We appreciate all that you have done so far and for looking out for us.

K

Adrienne,

I would also like to thank you. You have sent me several nice e-mails from me asking to be put on the list to updates when they are available. Thanks so much for caring about the collectors here at TC.

Scott

Adrienne,

Thanks so much for keeping TC informed. And I have to say how great your customer service is... I just about flipped when I got the call that you had a 'Pele' for me last month. You guys go way beyond the call of duty.

-Z

A

HI, BACK IN AUGUST I WAS IN DISNEYLAND AN GOT A COUPLE OF PELES FOR MY BAR. I'VE SEEN ONE OR TWO ON EBAY FOR 85 TO 105. I'M THINKING OF LETTING ONE OR TWO GO....

On 2004-10-29 12:36, ALTIKI wrote:
I'M THINKING OF LETTING ONE OR TWO GO....

That's cool of ya.
How about letting the CAPS go too. :)

On 2004-10-29 12:50, Unga Bunga wrote:

That's cool of ya.

Yes, please stop shouting, it is hurting my eyes. :wink:

M

That's cool of ya.

TM

On 2004-10-29 13:05, MachTiki wrote:

That's cool of ya.

Hey Mach - Thanks for the Mummies image...It brings back fond drunken memories of seeing them at a recreation center in Costa Mesa about 15 years ago. The Dickies headlined and I think the Muffs played. If you brought in two cans of food you got in free. I haven't thought of that show in years.

L

OK Altiki i'll bite- how much for one?

On Dec. 8th, Disneyland was shipped the following mugs...
Chanting Tiki Mug Teal x 180
Chanting Tiki Mug Yellow x 108
Chanting Tiki Mug Avocado x 180
Pele Lidded Tiki Mug x 168

The following quantities are produced and are available to ship as soon as the next release is issued by Disney...
Chanting Mug Teal x 75
Chanting Mug Yellow x 240
Chanting Mug Avocado x 110
Chanting Mug Grape x 240
Mini Mug Teal x 240
Mini Mug Yellow x 300
Mini Mug Avocado x 350
Mini Mug Grape x 370
Pele x 80
It takes Disney a solid week to get these onto the park grounds. I'd imagine they might be available at the Adventureland gift shop any day now.
Mahaloz!
Holden

TM

Was at DL today doing some Christmas shopping looking at the ETR Shag stuff and a nice employee said they had some of the Peles in the back. She said she would get me one if I'd like, so I had her get me 4. I'd willing to trade (mugs) if anyone is interested. PM me if you wanna trade. I do not want to sell these. Trading is much more beneficial to me.

8T

Nice of you to make the offer Tiki Matt. Unfortunately (for me) my doubles are fairly lame. Nothing to excite a seasoned collector. Hope you do well.

If anyone else is able to pick up an extra from Disneyland and send to me I would really be grateful. I already checked the mouse shoppe and they don't have any of the Pele's. So I can't order one myself. :(
Can anyone help old 8FT get a Pele for Christmas???? PLEASE...

I know this is not supposed to be here, but I just saw one on EBAY for a buy it now of 35 bucks. It's not mine!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13843&item=6500430077&rd=1

Hopefully someone can snag it since they tend to sell for much more normally on Ebay!

[ Edited by: aquaorama on 2004-12-19 19:39 ]

From the frigid Northeast, I'm also interested if anyone can get any of the Disney mugs.

T

He just posted 4 more Pele mugs for $35.00 each. Grab while you can! (I bought one)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13843&item=6500711932&rd=1

FYI -- My husband just received a call from Disneyland 10 minutes ago that the Adventureland Bazaar received a case of Pele mugs today. Good luck if anyone is nearby the Park and wants to pick one up!

K

Just called Disneyland and they said they were already sold out. EBay is looking better every minute.

DZ

I was at D-Land this morning and while there's plenty of the "Chanting Tiki Room" mug - in all three colors - the Pele mugs are (once again) completely sold out. The woman I spoke with said that the same guy comes in every time they put new ones out and buys ALL of them. He doesn't 'just check on them' - she said he knows when they're in. Obviously, someone is unfairly cornering the market on this mug (a cast member with inside info, maybe?). I have an annual pass and live within an hours drive, so I can (and do) check every so often, but in the dozen times I've been there in the past few months, there's never been a single Pele mug to be found.

Sour grapes? Yeah, I suppose...

Just got mine. I put my name on the waiting list in september and they said that the next three people were put notified? What gives, if there were 168 released. They could only spare three for a waiting list that is how long?

Mr. Grinch your an evil one.

Seems to be a right place right time situation.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Dec 22, 2004 3:57 AM

On 2004-12-21 21:03, Doctor Z wrote:
I was at D-Land this morning and while there's plenty of the "Chanting Tiki Room" mug - in all three colors - the Pele mugs are (once again) completely sold out. The woman I spoke with said that the same guy comes in every time they put new ones out and buys ALL of them. He doesn't 'just check on them' - she said he knows when they're in. Obviously, someone is unfairly cornering the market on this mug (a cast member with inside info, maybe?). I have an annual pass and live within an hours drive, so I can (and do) check every so often, but in the dozen times I've been there in the past few months, there's never been a single Pele mug to be found.

Dr. Z, why don't you call some higher up management and explain the situation. I'm sure they want their product available to park guests and would take measures to stop one person from buying all the mugs.

Might be the same person who's had a bunch of them on ebay with the $35 BIN.

TM

On 2004-12-22 14:18, ElDiablo_Rojo wrote:

Might be the same person who's had a bunch of them on ebay with the $35 BIN.

The $35 BIN seems like a good deal (only $10 over retail). The person that has been posting them must be content with less than 50% profit(is my math right?). Doesn't make much sense to me.....seems they could space out the postings and make a killing. Anyway, I still have a few left if anyone wants to trade.

:( I'd really like to get a hold of one, don't know if I will be able to without the help of Ebay.

Argh, darn packrats.

There are two more Pele mugs on Ebay right now. BIN is $57.99. Man, I am a sucker!

And that same user (abragan744ufc) who has the bin for $58 has had 4 of these posted this week already (3 at the same time right now!)

Meanwhile, us Northeast tiki-freaks will wind up paying these crazy prices or going without.

Well, I for one, am sick of this ebay racketeering. Shag prints on there 1 day after they sell out for double their original cost...all things Disney (esp disney tiki) bought out from the stores and then marked up ridiculously.

No more! I'm not buying jack from these people anymore. Hopefully, some of the TC'ers will follow my lead. If there's no market for this stuff, idiots like abragan744ufc wont buy EVERY SINGLE MUG from the Disney store to re-sell.

Then, a request like the origin of this thread ("someone pick me up a pele mug") can be be easily filled by anyone with access to the park, and the kindness to do so.

Sorry for the rant...just my 2 cents.

Anyone else feeling me on this one?

On 2004-12-29 10:22, Bargoyle wrote:
Well, I for one, am sick of this ebay racketeering...No more! I'm not buying jack from these people anymore.

Absolutely hear you Bargoyle. It really takes the fun out of things when you see folks hoard stuff simply for the act of profiting. I have always been the kind of kid who wanted to open the box and play with the toy rather keep it pristine put away in an airtight box so I too have a hard time with this as well as so-called "collectors."

I figure if I die and never had the pleasure of the item then ah well I shouldn't have had it in the first place. Of course there are some things that are just cool to sit and stare at. :wink:

[ Edited by: TheWickedWahine on 2004-12-29 16:02 ]

B

I'm the same way Wicked,

I've collected all sorts of stuff over the course of my life and everything got opened & played with. Comic books, action figures, etc. I even frame the prints I buy and display them (oh the horror!) and drink out of my mugs!! Some people want to keep everything "mint condition" and thats great too. I like to buy that mint stuff and then use the hell out of it. I guess my point is, to each his/her own.

If someone wants to buy something on spec (not becuase they like it, but they see value), and then turn a tidy profit by reselling it in the future, more power to them. I've got nothing against making a buck.

But with collectors and ebay, I think WE, the collectors, should set the price. Post with a reserve that covers your cost...maybe make a little something for your time, but then let the market dictate the price. If someone is willing to bid $100 on a Mehanna mug because tiki farm is out of stock for a week, fine. But dont set the reserve price AT $100!!!

I've seen some bidding wars get mental on ebay (been part of a few too), but I'm pulling in the reigns and just wont buy from certain ebayers anymore (making my Nixon enemies list, heh heh).

Anyway, once again, Im ranting (maybe Im just cranky from the cold & snow up here), but I'm seriously hoping (naively?) that if a bunch of us stop supporting these people, they'll stop ripping the tikiphiles off and go after some other group of wacky collectors.

Best wishes for a wonderful new year to all!

L

Thanks aquaorama for the heads up on the $35 Pele- got mine in one piece - Great huge mug.

8T

Thanks to aquaorama I also now have a Pele.
And at a fair price. It is so big that if I had been lucky enough to buy it IN PERSON at Disneyland and drag it back to Missouri, I surely would have broken it somehow. Thanks also to tikichic who offered some assistance. THE TC OHANA ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!

BB

Another Pele up for bids on ebay, this time for $30, Three day auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13843&item=6503354050&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

T

Cheers again to aquaorama for the post on the $35 Ebay Pele - Got mine in my hands today (smirk) its a big one (fnah, fnah) need two hands to hold this... (yuk, yuk)

A

Glad I could help you guys find one at a non "insane" price!

MT

On 2004-12-22 15:26, Tiki Matt wrote:
The $35 BIN seems like a good deal (only $10 over retail). The person that has been posting them must be content with less than 50% profit(is my math right?). Doesn't make much sense to me.....seems they could space out the postings and make a killing...

Tiki Matt, don't give that guy any ideas! Oops, too late, that guy is now doing exactly that - spacing out the availability, and raising his starting bid price to $49.99 and his buy it now price to $54.50. DOHHHH!!! Now what once was a good deal is no more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13843&item=6503697596&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

By the way, I was at Disneyland on Jan 1, on my way home from a Palm Springs Christmas, and they were fresh out of Pele mugs. I had also stopped by Disneyland on my way to Palm Springs. They had plenty of Pele Mugs then, but I don't have an annual pass to get in, and they weren't offering shoppers passes during the Christmas holidays. I even asked if I could give a cast member my credit card info at the front gate, and they could bring one out to me, but that was a no go as well. And I didn't feel like buying a full admission ticket just to get that mug. Very frustrating.

I have a friend that is supposed to get a mug or two for me, but that one person keeps snatching them all up before she can even get ahold of one. Now it looks like I'm going to have to be fleeced by an ebayer to get one.

And when I was at Disneyland looking at the selection of tiki mugs and Shag merchandise, and talking to the cast member about getting a Pele Mug, a lecherous ebay troll was eavsdropping on our conversation. "PELE MUG?!?!?" he exclaimed, "Boy I'd love to get my hands on a bunch of those!!!" And when the castmember mentioned to me that there was going to be another Shag merchandise event sometime in 2005, the ebay troll literally was blinking dollar signs, and little beads of sweat in the shape of dollar signs were forming on his forhead. I felt like throwing him in the Jungle Cruise river to cool him off.

My fiance asked him if he was a Tiki Central member, since he seemed to be into all of the merchandise. His response was "Oh no, I'm not a member, but I scan it all the time for merchandise!" She later told me that she thought his response was strange, and I explained to her that he is one of those guys that reads Tiki Central to find out what items are hot, and then goes out and snatches all of those items up then resells them on ebay to TC'ers for a hefty ransom. I wish I would have taken that guy's picture and posted it here, especially if he's reading this thread now.

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:03 ]

B

Much thanks and good juju to tikichic for hooking me up with a Pele mug (gave me her spot at mouse shoppe).

You've restored my faith in humanity tikichic! Mahalo.

HT

How much are they, retail? I'm curious, because I've never seen one go at under 50, and I really want one, but I really top out around $30 for a single mug. Just curious.

DZ

At the Bazaar at D-Land, they've got $22.50 price tag, but if you're a Premium Pass Holder, they're only $20.25. After about a dozen visits, I was finally able to pick up a few just after Christmas (sorry, they're all spoken for). It cost me all the $$ I had on me at the time, or I would have bought some more because they re-stocked them again later that day. Unfortunately, I haven't been back to check again since then...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 211 replies