Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies

Finky, these are socool to watch. Keep postin' as you go.

K
kirby posted on Thu, Nov 3, 2005 6:09 PM

Lookin good so far cant wait to see more...

H
hewey posted on Fri, Nov 4, 2005 5:17 AM

Keep it comin!

OOOOH, YEAH! finky's carvin' again!

Lookin good!

My daughter always teases me about the way my tikis come out so symmetrical. So I decided to play with this guy's teeth a bit, especially since they were so big to begin with!

Mahalo for looking!

loose box of chicklets? just kidding....I like the variations that eveyone is doing. Tight carves.

Carve on.

M

I didn't think you needed to change anything, but hey, who am I? Respect to you for getting out and pushing that comfort zone to try something new.

fortes fortuna juvat

Those teeth are cool! Sort of like a crazy xylophone... Cool as always finkdaddy!

H

The teeth are cool and different - I like em!

F
foamy posted on Fri, Nov 18, 2005 5:06 AM

Damn. If it wasn't for that missing front tooth, he'd look a lot like me. Nice work FD, I'm like'n your little ones a lot. He'd look kind'a nice with a cigar.

Ben, thank you for being so encouraging and just an all around cool guy. My future carvings are all dedicated to you and those who have helped teach me and inspired me to reach just a little higher. You the man!

Sam, those teeth were totally inspired by some of your paintings! Specifically the one that I used for that bat I painted a while back. Thanks!

Aaron, Kirby, Hewey, Polynesiac, Foamy, ManaKoa, PalmCityTiki, Sam Gambino, Benzart, Conga and all the others who check my posts, you guys rock! Thank you, as always, for the kind words. I never, NEVER, would have even tried to carve anything if it weren't for you. You are all my ohana and I'm so proud to be mixed in with such an amazing and talented group of artists.

Mahalo!! :D

Not sure if I'm like'n this or not, but I'm committed, so finish it I must. :)

Mahalo!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 21, 2005 4:25 AM

Awesome tiki finky. The headrest is gonna be cool when you finish the detail. Sweet (as usual)

B

Can you play music on that? What is your tiki's Puppy dogs name?
I'm kinda liking this one Aaron.Sharp crisp lines as usual and well defined detail. He needs a dentist tho.

M

I'm liking it Fink. That has tribal influence and yet a dab of comedy. Nice cuts, clean details. Sweet!

Hewey, thanks mate. There's a lot to go yet, but I wanted to see what other people thought of it. If I could start it all over again I would do it differently, but I'm in the thick of it now, so I'm going full-steam-ahead to see where it goes.

Ben, I suppose it does look like a puppy. :lol: I originally wanted it to be a Maori warrior face, but the space was to small for me to include all the lines I wanted. I thought it sort of looked like a bat.

McTiki, Mahalo for the kind words. I sort of did this one for my daughter, who always kids me about the way my faces, especially the mouths, are all so symmetrical. So I thought I would mix one up for a change.

Really nice detail. Especially at the size. I saw the warrior face that you described but my son thought is was a crazy monkey.

Carve on.

On 2005-11-21 05:53, PalmCityTiki wrote:
Really nice detail. Especially at the size. I saw the warrior face that you described but my son thought is was a crazy monkey.

Carve on.

:lol: I can deal with crazy monkey, in fact, I like it!

He still needs some sanding and another coat of poly, but here is #7. Sorry for the blurry pics. :blush:

Mahalo!

B

Looks pretty cool to me, though it's a bit hard to tell. Finky, did I tell you how much your carving has improved recently?. Keep 'em coming.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 23, 2005 3:26 PM

Looks like another finky masterpiece! Nice work dude. Pitty your photograhpic skills arent as good as your carving... :)

Love ya work dude!

Nice! Do you mind if I wear that for awhile?

B

Of course we mind! but in the meantime while we're all voting on it I suppose you may as well wear it and get it broken in. Nice piece.

K
kirby posted on Sun, Dec 11, 2005 4:33 PM

hey fink, I just got my wiener tiki yesterday and its so awsome, everybody loved it at spermys party. thanks a mil dude...

F

On 2005-12-11 16:33, kirby wrote:
hey fink, I just got my wiener tiki yesterday and its so awsome, everybody loved it at spermys party. thanks a mil dude...

Kirby, I missed your post somehow. I'm glad you like it, sorry it took so long. :blush:

I didn't like the way the last pendant was turning out. It looked too cartoonish or something, so I decided to begin anew. One of my many New Years resolutions is to get back into carving, so I grabbed my knives and a piece of zebra wood that was given to me by Benzart. Dawntiki has been waiting forever for a pendant, so with her in mind I began carving. I shaped the outside of the piece with my dremel, then started carving out the mouth with a freshly sharpened knife. I think you all know where this story is going. I got a bit too impatient with my cuts and perhaps I was putting a bit too much muscle into the blade, because the wood popped out of my hand and the knife plunged into my left index finger. The wound isn't very long, but it's VERY deep. My wife got scared because there was blood everywhere. I probably should have gone to the ER, but I'm stubborn that way. I'll be OK, but the finger is really stiff.

Here's where I got. I'll try to get back to it in a day or two.

Thanks for looking and reading my long-winded post. :wink:

C

take care of those fingers Finkdaddy...you will need most of them to keep the pendants
coming....nice to hear you are back to carving!

J

Ouch!! It doesn't seem that tiki wanted you to keep your New Year's resolution.

Check out this link for protective tape you wrap around your fingers. It is used a lot in factories that handle parts with sharp edges or operations that require trimming with knives. It won't stop a cut from happening such as the plunge cut such as you described but can help prevent incidental contact and offers a layer of protection. You still have to be careful but it is better than raw skin. Lawyer speak-disclaimer etc, etc.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/searchresults.jsp?search_type=keywordandcatmfgindx&QueryString=finger+tape&catindx1=&catindx2=&xi=xi

If it doesn't take you to the product, type "finger tape" in the search field.

Maybe I should post this in the "tools carvers use" post.

Nice to see you carving again. It's off to a nice start.

JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-01-08 13:32 ]

B

Finky, You are supposed to cut the wood, Not the fingers. That Zebra wood is just about too hard to carve with knives, I think I used ALL Power. Looking good though.

F

Thanks for your concern guys. I'll be more careful. I think I just got too excited and wanted to see results too quickly. That tape sounds like a good idea, I'll track some down and let you know how it works.

I really like the zebra wood. It's a bit hard for my little hand tools, but it looks very cool. We'll see what happens when I try to put in some detail.

Mahalo!

F

On 2006-01-08 13:24, Benzart wrote:
Finky, You are supposed to cut the wood, Not the fingers. That Zebra wood is just about too hard to carve with knives, I think I used ALL Power. Looking good though.

Hey Ben. I know what you mean, but the only power tool I have is a medium bur for my dremel. I figure if I can sell two or three tikis in the next month I'll buy a couple of new bits. Do you have any recommendations for a guy on an extremely small budget? Thanks. :)

Watch those digits. I have to agree with Benz on the Zebrawood. I did a few things with it and gave up because of the inconsistancy of the wood. The lght stuff is soft and the dark is VERY hard. Take your time and the result will be a beatiful piece. All it needs is a little finishing oil or poly. Good luck and keep carving (wood that is).

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 8, 2006 7:28 PM

Whoa finky - I would have thought you would have mastered the first carving rule - cut the wood, not your fingers. Good to see ya back into it (for a little while, at least)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies