Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Bad Back....Anyone???

Pages: 1 27 replies

Any of you Freaks out there have back troubles??

Dicuss??

Man, you have no idea! I wrecked mine the first time running downhill after a bus in Seattle. It's never been the same since. Every morning I wake up with pain in my lower back, both hips, and my left leg. I do believe all the pain is related to my back though. Standing all day at work on a cement floor doesn't help any either. Multiple Mai Tais seem to help however!

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-10-22 09:49 ]

Hey Fink!

I too had horrible back pain. I fell off a horse on my honeymoon almost 9 years ago and was even airlifted to the hospital. About two months ago, I bought one of those magnetic pressure point/accupressure bracelets. It was expensive about $200 and I was VERY skeptical, but I was willing to try anything at that point, and I figured I could use it as a tax right off. Let me tell you, not only has the degree of pain went from 10+ (on a scale of 10) to around 2, I only have pain maybe once a week for a little bit instead of hours and hours everyday. Not only that, I use to get nausea several times a week, that is now completely gone. I also had a hard time sleeping, now I sleep like a baby. Sometimes I wonder if it really is the bracelet or if it is all mental in my head, then I think that I really don't care what it is because I feel so much better on so many levels. If you want the info on the bracelet, lmk and I'll get it to you. I swear by this thing now!!!!!!!

Damn right Ben. My back pain is not so much of a constant daily pain, but every once in awhile I'll miss a step or twist the wrong way and my lower back will be totally screwed up for about a month. I should work on a drink that would bolster the spirit and numb the flesh as my contribution to the entire back pain suffering world. Pain knows no geographical boundries. Whatever the final recipe, the starting point should be at least 3 oz's rum and 1000 mg's of vicodine

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:07 ]

D

I feel for you folks.I've only had bad back pain a few times,but it felt like someone hit me with a baseball bat.Same thing with migraines-until you have one,you have NO idea how awful they are.

I started having back pain when I was in college. I started doing one simple yoga exercise, and it would always make it go away.

Now I don't wait for back pain. I do this simple exercise every morning and I never have back problems.

I travel a lot, and most every young man I meet on the road, when we are done with our work and meetings and can at last get to the bar, complain bitterly about their back problems. I tell them this exercise, but they never listen. Curiously, women never complain of back problems.

Exericse: lie flat on floor, cheek resting on carpet. Put hands just below shoulders flat against the floor. Push up slowly, keeping hips to floor. Arch head back. Arch spine as much as you can. Hold for a good long bit. You can actually feel the muscles in your lower back unknotting. Then repeat. Works like magic.

I am a pretty big dude 6'1 and 250lbs. When I went through my growing years one of my vertabrea did not form correctly causing a congenial anomaly(sp?) My lower back hurts all of the time like alot of pressure, and I am only 29 years old. I hate to know what this will feel like in 20 years!

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:07 ]

I have to agree with the exercise/stretching thing. I've successfully managed to completely rid myself of carpal tunnel syndrome and other general musculo-skeletal aches and pains doing that. Move it or lose it!

Also, my mother was seeing a chiropractor for back problems, and he recommended the herbal supplement valerian. I started taking it as well. Take it at night and it helps you sleep and relaxes your muscles all at the same time. You wake up feeling like you had a massage the night before. Since it's a natural herb, you build up tolerance to it pretty quickly, so I recommend taking it only once or twice a week when you really need it.

I also have to highly recommend getting a professional massage once or twice a month.

BambooBen,
Of course it depends on where the pain is, and if you've just strained, something, or if there is some disc problem, nerve on nerve or what.

If it's lower back, just to one sde of the spine, it's most likely a strain.

Saying this makes it sound trivial, but it hurts like someone lit you on fire kinda pain.

Take it as easy as you can for a few days, and consider Satan's Sin stretching.

Work up to about 20 of those a day, which not only streatches but also strenghtens.

Another which I like, is laying flat on your back and pulling your knee to your chin and holding it for about 20 seconds.

Again, you can feel the muscels relax...if you do this everyday, it will really help...so then you will stop doing it. (and you'll hurt yourself again.)

Good luck,

I'd never leave my house if I could do that...

i would not wish back problems on anybody! i got injured at work about 7 months ago. i have a disc protrusion between c-5 and 6 vertabrae(lower part of the neck just above the shoulders). it causes pressure on the nerves that supply the right arm. it is also pressing on the spinal cord and causing other issues. i get horrible headeaches, numbness and pain that radiates from my right shoulder down to my hand. i just saw a neurosurgeon on last friday and he wants to remove the disc and fuse the bones together. has anyone had this procedure done? i would like some feedback from someone who has.

dh

At my work, we had some pallets made up to move two conistoga wagons. Afetr the move they came back, and were stored in our truck yard. I should note that there were about the size of a 20' bobtail truck.

While using a truck for a personal move, I hooked one up on the tail end of a truck. It had been stored on its side. But now it was all at a weird angle.

Well I thought I could at least shift it to a more stable position. Bad move... It shifted so fast that I couldn't even let go of it. So it pulled me over, and bounced off of my left shin. The shin has a divet in it, but it didn't break. Compression fracture I think. But every now and then, I twist just wrong or lift the wrong way, and for that weekends shopping my wife has to push the shopping cart it hurts so bad.

I'm sure something turned to powder that day.

TG

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-10-19 18:17 ]

I had a friend who had severe pain from a disc protusion, and he did crunches to build up his core muscle group to support his spine. He was so bad off, that he started doing crunches while leaning back on the seat of a tall-backed couch, as he couldn't possibly lie down. He started slow, then worked up to about 100 or more a day. His doctor was sceptical, but if he didn't do crunches, the pain returned by the evening.

I have been thrown from horses, and kicked by several large animals (not all at once!) and have aches that feel like the spine cannot be straightened, and I have to limp awhile to "get going". I've done the yoga stretching called the "cat pose", which is arching your spine as much as you can in both directions, and that really helps. My doctor also reccommended that my neck is stabilized at night, and to use a flatter pillow than I was using. I have one of those Tempur-pedic memory foam pillows, and it's amazing.

Aside from the baryard incidents, I tend to get so immersed in work where I am standing and using detailed instruments for hours on end, and that is my downfall. If you're holding any posture throughout the workday, you must stretch your back every fifteen minutes, or at least every half hour. Don't wait until it leads to numbness or Carpal Tunnel pain, as that can cause nerve damage.

Back fusion? My opinion is Maybe as a last resort. Get a second opinion.
If youre getting by without the surgery, I would say skip it. Back surgery success is marginal at best. Sure it might make you better, but theres also a great chance of leaving you in worse shape.

Hey Bong. if you could do that move can I come over and watch?

DH
Try checking out disc decompression therapy.
good luck, I feel your pain too.

MG

What's up with your back, Ben?

I've had SCIATICA off and on scince '96. It's the worst it's ever been right now. I'm sure it's from never stretching, driving to much and bad posture while sitting at the computer. I now it takes discipline to stretch every day. I've been surfing consistantly scince I was 12 and never stretched before going out.

Anyone else have Sciatica?

On 2004-10-19 00:22, Atomicchick wrote:
Hey Fink!

I too had horrible back pain. I fell off a horse on my honeymoon almost 9 years ago and was even airlifted to the hospital. About two months ago, I bought one of those magnetic pressure point/accupressure bracelets. It was expensive about $200 and I was VERY skeptical, but I was willing to try anything at that point, and I figured I could use it as a tax right off. Let me tell you, not only has the degree of pain went from 10+ (on a scale of 10) to around 2, I only have pain maybe once a week for a little bit instead of hours and hours everyday. Not only that, I use to get nausea several times a week, that is now completely gone. I also had a hard time sleeping, now I sleep like a baby. Sometimes I wonder if it really is the bracelet or if it is all mental in my head, then I think that I really don't care what it is because I feel so much better on so many levels. If you want the info on the bracelet, lmk and I'll get it to you. I swear by this thing now!!!!!!!

Do you really think it was the bracelet that helped? Of course I'm skeptical, but I would read any info you provided. At this point I would try anything.

Mahalo for the simpathy!

Hey Ben, you haven't chimed in on your back issue. What ales you?

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2004-10-21 08:40 ]

Hey Ben, you haven't chimed in on your back issue. What ales you?

I was just curious what others did for their ailments(sp?). Mine has been shot for years. Muscles keep crapming or spasim'ing up and lock up (got one in my clave as we speek). My latest was down in my hip. Dr. Feelgood (my chiro) said my thigh and back muscle were fighting against each other and were trying to pop out the leg/hip connection. I have a lot of pain but that was the most I've ever felt. I need like the old bondage rack. Anyone know how to make one of those? Starting Yoga next week. Heard that helps to stretch tight muscles. Wana try hot yoga but a little weary due to lack of flu shots.

Just be thankful you don't have this guy's back:

Used to have bad back spasms that would keep me incapacitated for days. I had to build up the muscles in my lower back. Once I started doing these weighted back extenstions at my gym, the problem went away:

Most gyms have a back-extension machine that looks something like this:

or this:

These are just machine-assisted versions of the exercise Satan's Sin suggested.

Doing crunches alone helps, but you really need to work the muscles from both sides. Do these back extensions with no weights at first - you'll begin to build muscle slowly and just the stretch itself will relieve much back pain immediately.

My back pain was due to muscle problems, not spinal-cord issues, so I don't know much these exercises will help in those cases. However, I don't see how building-up the core muscles that support the spine could hurt, eh?

Here is some more info:
http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=viewequipment&equipmentID=701
http://members.core.com/~frank416/backextension.html
And here's a cheap one you can buy yourself:
http://www.epinions.com/content_131596848772#

Sabu.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-10-21 11:15 ]

MB

On 2004-10-18 23:48, The Sperm Whale wrote:
It's funny you should ask that question, No I don't thanks for asking though!! I hope I never have back problems. Do you have back problems Ben???
Keep On Rockin,
Spermy

I think you should be reported under the "Bong Law."
Oh, and, by the way, good luck with your body in the future.
Cheers!

M

My back feels suddenly better, but I've got some sort of swelling going on in the front....

Mattfink

On 2004-10-19 11:49, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2004-10-27 13:36, mattfink wrote:
My back feels suddenly better, but I've got some sort of swelling going on in the front....

Mattfink

On 2004-10-19 11:49, Unga Bunga wrote:

??? Is she a he/she?? Wut up wit da buldge??

(no pelvic bone is that big!!)

S

I agree that one of the things that can help your back is to make it stronger. I used to do power lifting and people would cringe and say you are going to gurt your back. Nope. I made my back bulletproof. I did the exercise shown above with a 45 pound plate. Lots of dead lifts and more. I took it slow and careful, but I had a lower back that could take whatever I threw at it.

Pages: 1 27 replies