2 oz. Unsweetened pineapple juice
4 oz. Lemon juice
1 oz. Grenadine
1 oz. Orgeat syrup
1 oz. Siegert's Bouquet rum
6 oz. Light Puerto Rican rum
3 scoops shaved ice
1 fresh gardenia

Blend all ingredients execpt gardenia in electric drink blender. Pour into large scorpion bowl. Decorate with gardenia. Serve with long straws.

V

what is Siegert's Bouquet rum ??

On 2004-12-16 09:47, virani wrote:
what is Siegert's Bouquet rum ??

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Is there some other that would be a good sub?

N

I googled it and alot of it is in german, maybe bigbrotiki can help this one.

K

I'd be willing to bet that it is akin to Stroh.

EDITED TO ADD:

Turns out Seigert's was an Angostura product, and Seigert himself the founder of Angostura.

Excerpt and image from http://www.rum.cz

"THE STORY OF ANGOSTURA® BITTERS

Originally from Germany, Johann Siegert, a doctor of medicine, left his homeland in 1820, the call of adventure ringing in his ears. He was bound for Venezuela, to join with Simon Bolivar in his fight against the Spanish throne. Bolivar then appointed him Surgeon-General of the Military Hospital in the town of Angostura.

Dr. Siegert was above all a scientist. A scientist with a keen enquiring mind. He had seen soldiers battered by the enemy from without and within, by severe fevers and internal stomach disorders.

From the beginning Dr. Siegert was determined to wrest a cure from nature itself and after four years of trial and error, researching and analysing the qualities of tropical herbs and plants, he finally arrived at a unique blend of herbs which he called “Amargo Aromatico” or aromatic bitters. The year was 1824. Dr. Siegert hoped to use the bitters to bring relief to his patients, his small circle of family and friends, but these events were to prove otherwise. From these humble beginnings an international industry was soon to rise.

In 1830, Dr. Siegert exported his unique aromatic bitters to England and Trinidad. By 1850, he had resigned his commission in the Venezuelan army, to concentrate on the manufacture of his bitters, since by then demand had leapt ahead of supply.

By the time Dr. Siegert died in 1870, his reputation and that of his Angostura® aromatic bitters were internationally established. Dr. J.G.B. Siegert & Hijo, a partnership with his son, Carlos, was established in 1867 by Dr. Siegert. Two years after the death of Dr. Siegert, the name was changed to Dr. J.G.B. Siegert & Hijos, to include younger brother, Alfredo Siegert.

HOME TO TRINIDAD

In 1903 Carlos Siegert died followed in two years by Luis, making Alfredo the sole owner of the secret formula for Angostura® aromatic bitters.

Alfredo speculated in several business projects and lost heavily, great sums of money, and the House of Angostura passed into the hands of its creditors.

The company survived some hard times, a bid from a US distributor and another from a Canadian business man, both of who would have transplanted the industry outside of Trinidad. They were unsuccessful. Some forty years later, the company was back in the hands of the Siegert family.

THE HOUSE OF ANGOSTURA GROUP

By the turn of the century, the Company ventured into the rum market, at first just in bottling bulk rum from other distillers. After years of intensive research in fermentation and distillation processes, the Company installed a state-of-the-art distillery in 1945 heralding its entry into the production of rum on a major scale. By the end of 1960, the Company had extended distribution of its products to over 140 countries across the world, becoming well known internationally for its high quality rums in addition to the now world famous Angostura® aromatic bitters"

I have sent an email to Angostura's corporate HQ in the hope of obtaining some information regarding this product. We'll see if we can find out out what it was and thereby propose a reasonable substitution.

So there ya go kids.

Ahu

[ Edited by: ku ku ahu on 2004-12-16 19:29 ]

[ Edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-12-16 19:30 ]

Ku Ku Ahu,

I applaud your article on Angostura B's. Oddly enough, just last Saturday night, at "mix your daddy a drink night", my 9 year old daughter and I were having a combative discussion on the origin of Angostura Bitters (I won - go Bong dawg - you rule!!!)

Angostura will reply but it seems to take some time.

Previous post:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9463&forum=10

Here is a reply I received from Angostura when asked if the label was made to protect the product from light:

Thank you very much for your inquiry!

There are many ‘myths’ and stories that surround the curious label on the Angostura® aromatic bitters bottle. One of these stories is that the two brothers Siegert (sons of the founder Dr. J.G.B Siegert) were commissioned to do the packaging for the bitters: one was to get the bottle, one to get the label. Each one went to buy what they were told to and when they met back up it turned out that the label was too big for the bottle but because they were under time constraints to bottle the product they just went with the oversized label. It is also said that this label has won an award in the UK for ‘world’s worst label’.

In actuality, you are correct and the label is that large to keep out the light so the bitters doesn’t change colour.

As this is such a trademark of the brand by now and everyone recognizes it by its oversized label we certainly do no anticipate any change in the packaging.

I hope I have answered your question and for your information, we will be launching an Angostura bitters website (www.angosturabitters.com) in the next month where you will find recipes (both cocktail and cooking), events, and historical information on Angostura bitters. So watch this space!

Thanks for your inquiry,

Regards,
Corinna Meyr
Brand Development Executive
CL World Brands
Tel: +1 868 623 1841
http://www.clworldbrands.com
http://www.angosturabitters.com

And so ends the mystery...

Rich

K

An email from Angostura in response to my request for info regarding Siegert's Bouquet Rum:

Siegert's Bouquet Rum was available on the export market in the sixties, and seventies and was very similar to the OLD OAK GOLD Blend but a slightly darker color and mellower.A similar rum today will be ROYAL OAK.

Giselle

Ahu

RB
R

Aloha, fellow tiki fans!

In redards to the Kava Bowl recipe, I have only two comments:

1. I believe that instead of 1 oz. Siegert's Bouquet rum, it should be
    1 oz RHUM BARBANCOURT
    http://www.barbancourt.com

2. Instead of a scorpion bowl, it should be in a KAVA BOWL, which are available through TIKI FARM.com

I am actually sitting my backyard paradise enjoying one as described above right now! And it is HEAVENLY!!!

Cheers,
Rose

M

On 2005-09-04 19:58, rositoz wrote:
Aloha, fellow tiki fans!

In redards to the Kava Bowl recipe, I have only two comments:

1. I believe that instead of 1 oz. Siegert's Bouquet rum, it should be
    1 oz RHUM BARBANCOURT
    http://www.barbancourt.com

2. Instead of a scorpion bowl, it should be in a KAVA BOWL, which are available through TIKI FARM.com

I am actually sitting my backyard paradise enjoying one as described above right now! And it is HEAVENLY!!!

Cheers,
Rose

Barbancourt Rum (not silver!) would be fine for this, though there's not much point in using TOO good a rum in a drink with this much grenadine. Vic's currently uses 1 oz. Vic's Kahana Bay Gold rum as the substitute. And yes, the replica Kava bowls would be ideal, but Vic's uses the scorpion bowl at their restaurants. No Kava Bowls...yet!

[ Edited by: martiki 2005-09-05 15:00 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies