Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

The perfectly written pop/rock song.

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

I had this discussion at work the other day (yes I have a job, the kind where I can sit around and discuss trivial things like this), and I'm curious what you think is the perfectly written pop/rock song. I don't really count the Beatles 'cause most ALL of their songs are perfect. Here's 3 that top the list for me:

Cheap Trick - "Oh Caroline"

XTC - "Ten Feet Tall"

Tom Jones - "She's a Lady"

Nothin' fancy, no rippin' leads, no drum solos, no 15 minute opuses, just perfectly executed, "tight", 3-minute masterpieces.
(I'm kind of a prog-rocker myself, but I'm a sucker for a well crafted pop song).

PS I promise not to insult your choices......too much.

for perfectly crafted pop songs...almost
anything by Sam Cooke...especially
"Another Saturday Night"..."Needles and
Pins" by the Searchers...and on the
edgier side..."Gloria" by Them. So there.

I just heard "Gloria" on an oldies station and thought how great that song was. I also love the Ramones version of "Needles and Pins"...good call.

Needles and Pins is pretty swell! Especially the Ramones!

I'm not much for any of the modern Pop-rockers, but Hoobastank's The Reason is You always pleases me for some reason. Weezer's "Buddy Holly" and "Say it Ain't So" are great too! It may be a stretch to call it pop, but the late Jeff Buckley's version of "Halleluya" by Leonard Cohen is quite sublime. I also love Patti Smith's "Pissin' in a River" (Power Pop?)
-FB

P.S.
Greg Brady's "The Day I Found You" is perfect in terms of it's gleeful ridiculousness!

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-12-20 15:44 ]

Oh, and "Brown Eyed Girl" !

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-12-20 15:46 ]

Trying to think of the classic pop verse-chorus-verse style songs...not too long, not too many tempo or timing changes

Alison by Elvis Costello

Story of My Life by Social Distortion

Save It For Later by English Beat

Pop Goes the World by Men Without Hats

Overkill by Colin haye

That song by Blink 182 about his car being in the front yard and sleeping with his clothes on.

Stacy's Mom is pretty pop-slick, by Fountains of Wayne

Radar Love by Golden Earring

Rocky Mountain Way by Joe Walsh

Happy, Tumblin' Dice, Sway, Gimme Shelter, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, etc...by the Stones.

Anything by Nick Drake

OK, better stop.

DIXIE CHICKEN!!!!!

DZ

My Sharona

Rock around the clock, Bill Haley and the comets...

No matter how many times I hear it, I still get goosebumps from it..and absolutely perfect song!!

Either that or "the great deceiver" by king Crimson!

(for you prog rock fans!!)

Oh, I forgot a real classic!

Tom Sawyer, by RUSH..right, Dr. Z?????

Windy by the association has a great lick and a catchy melody. Same with "I can see clearly now the rain has gone."

Social D good call for Punk Pop. Another great "mainstream" tune is Ball and Chain"

The Sweater song by Weazer always has me singing about my unravelling wardrobe. I too think Weazer writes great pop tunes.

Tequila is a great Instro tune with minimum vocals.

The Tra la la song from the Banana Splits show and the Monkees theme are long time favorites. ( Randy scouse git was aways a rebellious favorite of mine as well but maybe a wee bit subversive to be considered pop)

So many great tunes and only two ears to put them in.

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-12-20 17:05 ]

TM1

Rock me Amadeus!!!

GeekyTiki jarred my memory with his
mention of Save It For Later by The English
Beat...I have always thought "Mirror
In The Bathroom" has the greatest sax
ever....other than Coltrane. It has been my
long standing belief that occasionally
marginal musicians (not the Beat specifically) are touched by the music
gods and they create something beyond their ability....the guy playing the sax on
that tune was probably touched by the
devil...it sounds evil!

Pretty Vacant!

I'll Melt the World - Modern English

Gotta love "Valley Girl"!

Geeky,

Another great, possibly overplayed, Costello song: "Peace, Love, and Understanding"

-FB

96 tears - ? and the Mysterions
Dirty Water - the Standells
Liar Liar - the Castaways
Louie Louie - the Kingsmen
Baby Please Don't Go - Them
Incense & Peppermints - the Strawberry Alarm Clock
Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - the Blues Magoos
I'm Not Like Everybody Else - the Kinks
Where Were You When I Needed You - the Grassroots
Time of the Season - the Zombies
San Francisco Nights - the Animals
Pride of Man - Quicksilver Messanger Service
Thirteen Women _ Bill Haley & the Comets

On 2004-12-20 19:36, FreakBear wrote:
Geeky,
Another great, possibly overplayed, Costello song: "Peace, Love, and Understanding"
-FB

Music Geek here... That's actually written by Nick Lowe who is quite possibly one of the greatest pop song writers ever. And you can't mention Nick Lowe without pointing out how great "Cruel to be Kind" is.

Besides that, I think one of the most perfect pop/rock songs of all time is "Out of My Head" by Fastball. Every time I hear that song I'm blown away by it. Perfect melody. Perfect hamonies. Perfect structure. And a hook line that stays with you.

Well Respected Man by the Kinks

This thread has really hit a nerve with me because I love a well written pop song.

Last Plane Out - Toy Matinee
When I Write the Book - Rockpile
I'll be There for You - The Rembrandts
Just the Way It Is, Baby - The Rembrandts
Forever in Blue Jeans - Neil Diamond
Bye Bye Love - The Everly Brothers
Baby, It's Tonight - Jude Cole
From My Head to My Heart - Evan & Jaron
Kiss This Thing Goodbye - Del Amitri

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-12-21 11:09 ]

K

P. Vert - "Stickball"

On 2004-12-20 19:36, FreakBear wrote:
Geeky,

-FB

"(What's so Funny 'bout) Peace, Love & Understanding" is a cover, written by Nick Lowe (who produced EC's first 3 albums), & first performed by his Pub Rock band Brinsley Schwartz. Look up his bio on http://www.nicklowe.net to see some of the other gems he had a finger in as songwriter, producer, singer & bassist. One of my favorites is "The Whole Wide World" by Wreckless Eric, possibly one of the best songs about a girl "lounging on a tropical beach in Tahiti," with Nick on Bass & producing and Ian Dury (of "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll" fame) on drums.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

Edit: Sorry to repeat you, Mach Tiki, I started this reply before you replied & wrote a long list of great Pop songs that Nick Lowe was involved in, then I lost it & knocked out this quick note. I should mention that another cover of "(What's so Funny 'bout) Peace, Love & Understanding" on The Bodyguard Soundtrack has turned Nick from an underappreciated master of the Pop idiom into a Millionare underappreciated master of the Pop idiom.

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-12-21 11:19 ]

No worries Freddie. Us Nick Lowe fans gotta stick together.

I've seen him live a couple times, but one of the great musical moments in my life came when I went to see him play in a tiny bar the Bay Area. Hours before the show a few of us were in line in the rain waiting to get in. The side door opens and out pops Nick Lowe. He took a quick step back when he saw people already waiting to get in. He graciously told us we were nuts to stand in the rain just to see him, then he lit up a cigarette and hung out with us for about a half hour. He answered every question we threw at him and he asked us questions as well. A really cool guy.

Then, a car pulls up and out comes Elvis Costello (who was not on the bill). Nick excused himself, then led Elvis into the building. where they did a sound check with the door open so we could watch. That evenings show was amazing with the two of them doing their own material together unplugged.

I saw him in Binghamton, NY, back in '83. His band included Paul Carack on keys & vocals (I can't remember who was on Guitar or Drums) & they were the opening act on the bill. I can't even think of who was the headliner, but they must've been big since they were playing the local Enormodome. We got them to play "Marie Provost" and he later invited me & my friend Daveinblack backstage for a beer & to talk music. I was completely tongue tied, and what I remember most is that his first & middle fingers had turned golden from all the cigarettes he'd smoked.

This just about sums it up:

POP:
She's a lady - Tom Jones

ROCK:
Oh Caroline - Cheap Trick

METAL:
Seek and Destroy - Metallica

PROG:
21st Century Schitzoid man - King Crimson
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

PUNK:
Sixteen - Buzzcocks
Limit Club - The Damned

NEW WAVE:
Ten Feet Tall - XTC
Gidget Goes To Hell - Suburban Lawns

BALLAD:
Only 7 days - Queen

SURF:
Hawaii 5-0 - (I like the Ventures version)

MOD:
Start - The Jam

60's:
Time of the Season - The Zombies

HIP-HOP/RAP
there are none
("White Lines" by Grand Master Flash is cool)

there are none
(unless you call "Devil Went Down To Georgia" country)

CLASSICAL:
Fur Elise - Beethoven

NOVELTY:
Popcorn - Hot Buttered

JAZZ:
Anything with Buddy Rich playing drums on it.

GOTH:
Dogs - Christian Death

80's:
Pale Shelter - Tears For Fears
I Ran - Flock of Seagulls

DISCO:
Lady Marmalade - La Belle

FUNK:
Super Freak - Rick James
(not really TRUE funk, but a damn good song)
Use Me - Bill Withers

And the absolute BEST cover song has got to be "Satisfaction" by DEVO!

[ Edited by: Tikitortured on 2004-12-21 17:19 ]

[ Edited by: tikitortured on 2004-12-21 17:49 ]

TM1

So many people have an anti-country attitude, probably based on hearing Shania Twain and Garth brooks, and assuming that ALL country sounds like Jimmy Buffet (god, it makes me want to retch just saying his name!!)

but if you go back to early country, you will find the roots of a lot of cool music, everything from Hawaiian to Elvis!!

"San Antonio Rose" is a fine example of early country that was considered "pop" at the time it was first released.

The band was Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys!

As far as rap is concerned, I would agree a lot of it sucks, if not most of it....but there are seminal tracks like NWA "f#$%k the Police" which rock pretty hard, and is actually a very catchy song (long as you are not actually a police officer, that is!!)

DE LA SOUL and Q-TIP and THE TRIBE CALLED QUEST are early rap groups that were composed largely of real musicians..the music is quite thoughtful and articulate....PUBLIC ENEMY also had some great tracks on the album "fear of a black planet"...

I would agree that most rap and hip-hop sucks....especially that bad song I always hear TOO loud at the gym...something about "shakin that ass"....

and it just sounds like someone with no musical talent talking...and heck, even I can do that!!!

But I would be hesitant to outright rule out all country and rap, without researching a little!

The only type of music I can disrespect without even hearing it would be MOR hair metal from the early 90's..for example, there is not even ONE guns and roses song I can get into..not one!

that Axle rose needs his legs brokem, as far as I am concerned...and that faggoty little shuffle dance he used to do on the "welcome to the jungle" video just reminds me to much of Ashlee Simpson's recent hoe-down on SNL!!

No, I believe the world could do fine without GNR, warrant,poison or skidrow!!

And that brings up another issue...for as much as sebastian bach was known to be a homophopic gay basher, HE SURE LOOKS PRETTY LIKE A GIRL, don't he??

Ha ha!

this is a little off-thread...but I just
paged through the latest rolling stone with
the "top 50 cd's" of 2004...the only one
that i've heard is the latest U2...after
40 years of being a rock freak...I am totally unhip....long live exotica!

re. freddie comments...I also saw that
Nick Lowe band opening for the Cars in the
80s...very cool! Paul Carrack was a
very fine vocalist...Ace's "How Long"
is a pretty great pop tune.

13 Women by Bill Haley.

In the Crowd by The Jam

Making Plans For Nigel by XTC

Cassandra by Thee Milkshakes

Better in Black by The Prisioners

Counting the Beat by The Swingers.

Olivers Army by Elvis Costello

Mirror in the Bathroom by the English Beat

And many more....

On 2004-12-21 16:48, tikitortured wrote:
This just about sums it up:

GOTH:
Dogs - Christian Death

[ Edited by: Tikitortured on 2004-12-21 17:19 ]

[ Edited by: tikitortured on 2004-12-21 17:49 ]

I gotta go with Black Planet by Sisters of Mercy, Or Preacher Man by Fields of the Nephilim.

Or of course the song that started it all...
Bela Legosi's Dead.

All great songs. Especially "preacher Man". (Fields of the)Nephelim and 45 Grave are my favorite GOTH bands, but give Dogs another listen and tell me that song isn't PERFECT by GOTH standards (if there are any GOTH standards).It features my old pal Rik Agnew on fuzzy guitar, just brilliant!

[ Edited by: Tikitortured on 2004-12-22 08:57 ]

"The Whole Wide World" by Wreckless Eric, the only song here to mention a girl lying on a beach in Tahiti:

When I was a young boy, my momma she said to me:
There's only one girl in the world for you
And she probably lives in Tahiti
Or maybe in the Bahamas
where the Caribbean sea is blue
Weepin' away in the tropical night
because nobody's told her 'bout you

I'd go the whole wide world
just to find her
to find out where they hide her
YEAH!

Why am I hanging around in the rain out here
Tryin' to think of a girl
Why are my eyes fillin' up with these lonely tears
When there's girls all over the world?
Or is she lying on a tropical beach somewhere
Underneat the tropical sun
Hiding away in the heat wave there
Hopin' that I won't be long?

just to find her
to find out where they hide her
[repeat]
YEAH!

[repeat to fade]

B

[ Edited by: BaronV 2005-07-19 17:22 ]

On 2004-12-22 22:22, BaronV wrote:

Question - Can My Bloody Valentine's entire 'Loveless' album be considered a song? It's the Lay's Potato Chips of LP's... you just can't listen to one track.

/quote]

Excellent point! This MBV album is critical listening. Influencing hoards of bands to come after. Yer right! You can't listen to just one song.

I do remembering hearing on the radio My Bloody Valentine's song "Feed Me With Your Kiss" (from the album "Isn't Anything"),probably in 1989. I had never heard of them before, but the song really stood out as a perfect pop song. Everything was right about about it. As it turned out, it was literally a life changing experience.

On 2004-12-22 12:24, freddiefreelance wrote:
"The Whole Wide World" by Wreckless Eric, the only song here to mention a girl lying on a beach in Tahiti:

Dr. FFL, I've dug out a 1978 British EP on Stiffrecords by Wreckless Eric (in brown vinyl no less) but alas, this song is not on it. You did however rekindle my interest in Wreckless E.
Cheers,
Shipwreck

On 2004-12-23 00:56, Shipwreckjoey wrote:

On 2004-12-22 12:24, freddiefreelance wrote:

Dr. FFL, I've dug out a 1978 British EP on Stiffrecords by Wreckless Eric (in brown vinyl no less) but alas, this song is not on it. You did however rekindle my interest in Wreckless E.
Cheers,
Shipwreck

I'm surprised, it was his "hit" and he's basically spent the past 25 years trying to live up to it or live it down. Stiff tried to put a version of it on everything Wreckless Eric did. The band on the original single was Ian Dury (of "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll" fame) on drums & Nick Lowe on just about everything else. Hey, it was good enough for the Monkees to cover, so it's gotta be good Pop, right?

Marshall Crenshaw - Someday, Someway

BaronV - Shhhh DJ Shadow needs to stay underground... :)

Morcheeba - What NY Couples Fight About (ft. Kurt Wagner)

Peter Gabriel - Games without frontiers

Thievery Corporation - Richest man in Babylon

David "Fathead" Newman - Fathead

I know I went off genre, sorry.

I like my "pop" with a little "cheese""Lucky Ladybug" by Billy & Lilly

"Let Me In" by the Sensations

"Too Much Pork for Just One Fork" by Southern Culture on the Skids

"Martha" by Gregory Page

"Pineapple Princess" by Annette Funicello

"Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen

"Tijuana Taxi" by Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass

"Eat Steak" by Rev Horton Heat

here's one for the Nick Lowe fans, "Poor Marie"

"Jungle Love" by the Time

"Sugar Sugar" by the Archies

"Tiger By the Tail" by Buck Owens

Okay, seriously I have to stop now...

F
foamy posted on Fri, Dec 31, 2004 7:15 AM

So many excellent picks, but this one has been overlooked so far...

Brandy, by The Looking Glass.

And, here's an odd pick, but valid non the less—

I Love the Flower Girl, by The Cowsills.

When the only sound in the empty street,
Is the heavy tread of the heavy feet
That belong to a lonesome cop
I open shop.

When the moon so long has been gazing down
On the wayward ways of this wayward town.
That her smile becomes a smirk,
I go to work.

Love for sale,
Appetizing young love for sale.
Love that's fresh and still unspoiled,
Love that's only slightly soiled,
Love for sale.

Who will buy?
Who would like to sample my supply?
Who's prepared to pay the price,
For a trip to paradise?
Love for sale.

Let the poets pipe of love
in their childish way,
I know every type of love
Better far than they.

If you want the thrill of love,
I've been through the mill of love;
Old love, new love
Every love but true love
Love for sale.

Appetising young love for sale.
If you want to buy my wares.
Follow me and climb the stairs
Love for sale

Foamy, good call on BRANDY by Looking Glass. That song always gets me right where it counts. Also what about that song that goes: "I love her more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow..." I sing my ass off when that song is playing. And come to think of it THAT might be the best pop song ever written!!? (who's it by?)

Holy $#!+, I forgot about "Delilah" by Tom Jones...Come On! A great song about stabbin' yer cheatin' girlfriend. Sublime.

TM1

Ummmmmmm..Billie Holiday! major hottie!

Some great choices out there - many truly inspired (and I always have a soft spot for XTC who lived a couple of towns down from me)

Anyway, here's some from the top of my head:

Mission of Burma - That's when I reach for my revolver

Devo- Mongoloid

Shellac - A Prayer to God

Sebadoh - Soulmate

The Fall - How I wrote Elastic Man

Stranglers - Golden Brown

Mudhoney - Touch me I'm sick

Virtually anything early by Blondie & the Buzzcocks

Black Flag - Rise Above

Anyway, I could come up with a much more definative personal list, but I am posting drunk....

Trader Woody

T

Two words.

Pac-Man Fever.

Town Without Pity - Gene Pitney (long time since that name came up)

On 2004-12-31 03:02, stuff-o-rama wrote:
"Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen

the meaning behind the lyrics is revealed HERE

Pages: 1 2 75 replies