Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Curucao or Triple Sec

Pages: 1 9 replies

I know both are similar liqueurs, and i know your all gonna tell me to use every exact ingedient but it just so happens that in Montreal there is a strike with the liquor stores( run by goverment unfortunatly)and Curucao"except for the blue curucao" is unavailable. Know i would'nt want to serve or drink a blue Mai Tai would i. What about Triple Sec? I found my mai tai to be a little sour, what would you do?

M

I've come to agree with the head bartender at Bix, one of the finest bars in SF: Triple Sec is worthless junk.

Use blue curacao if you must, but I made a Mai Tai with it once, and color was not the only difference- it was nasty. Maybe if it's Brizzard blue, it will be OK.

just my 2 cents.

Try Cointreau instead of Triple Sec.

On 2005-01-29 10:18, Satan's Sin wrote:

Totally agree with Satan's Sin, Cointreau is perfect. It has a great taste.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2005-01-29 10:36 ]

On 2005-01-29 10:35, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

On 2005-01-29 10:18, Satan's Sin wrote:

Totally agree with Satan's Sin, Cointreau is perfect. It has a great taste.

All the way.
A little more expensive, but worth it, margaritas, etc.
You've seen that bumper sticker..."Life is too short to drink cheap shit".
Go buy some more curacao dammit cause I'm on my way over for a round.!

DZ

On 2005-01-29 01:00, martiki wrote:
I made a Mai Tai with it once, and color was not the only difference- it was nasty.

Hmmm... Maybe it was just the psychological effect, because the only difference between blue, orange, green & white curacao is the artifical coloring used.

Jeff, the bartender at Sam's Seafood, makes the only drink officially named "The Tiki Central" available at a public bar. It's their Mai Tai with blue instead of orange curacao, and it looks like swamp water but tastes just fine.

Another excellent substitute for curacao is Citronge, from the same folks that produce Patron tequilas & Pyrat rums.

Want to know what's weird? Campari is weird. As red as Hawaiian Punch (maybe a little darker) with a taste that is both bitter and sweet and boozy at the same time. It has to belong in a drink somewhere. Especially a tiki drink. Am driving myself mad trying to figure out how to fit it in.

H

On 2005-01-29 18:53, Satan's Sin wrote:
Campari is weird... It has to belong in a drink somewhere. Especially a tiki drink. Am driving myself mad trying to figure out how to fit it in.

There's a drink in Intoxica called Jungle Bird which uses Campari, lime juice, sugar syrup, pineapple juice and dark jamaican rum.

M

On 2005-01-29 14:59, Doctor Z wrote:

On 2005-01-29 01:00, martiki wrote:
I made a Mai Tai with it once, and color was not the only difference- it was nasty.

Hmmm... Maybe it was just the psychological effect, because the only difference between blue, orange, green & white curacao is the artifical coloring used.

Jeff, the bartender at Sam's Seafood, makes the only drink officially named "The Tiki Central" available at a public bar. It's their Mai Tai with blue instead of orange curacao, and it looks like swamp water but tastes just fine.

Another excellent substitute for curacao is Citronge, from the same folks that produce Patron tequilas & Pyrat rums.

I know- that's what I always thought. But it was nasty! Maybe it's just that Hiram Walker is crappy curacao, blue or otherwise. I really like the Marie Brizzard Orange Curacao, but can't find it. I was hoping they'd have it at Internet Wines, but no luck.

Hakalugi --

THANKS!!!

Pages: 1 9 replies