Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

What in yer opinion is the superlative breakfast beer?

Pages: 1 43 replies

One need'nt get staggering to enjoy a fine malt product before noon, and some go very well with toast and marmalade.

While camping (if not working a chainsaw or shooting or some such)I quite enjoy Irish Dry Stouts early in the day. They complement both fruit and bacon, jerky and campy cuisine, and often come in cans for less garbage to haul away.

And you?

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2005-02-12 09:33 ]

I prefer an amber ale in a chilled glass while attending my annual AA brunch meeting.

Adolf Hitler drank a beer every morning.

**** Please Note ****

Relax! I am in no way attempting to make some connection between those that drink beer in the am and Der Furor. I despise the bastard. I was only stating a fact.

P.S. I drink Bud Lite with my wheat toast.

An ice cold Tecate straight outta the can with lime juice & salt sprinkled on top. Goes especially well with that 1/2 leftover Carne Asada burrito you brought home from the taco stand last night after the bar closed.

D

Not a beer drinker anymore,but welcome back,Gigantalope! Been wondering where you were-you always come up with the best questions!

D

Gigantalope gives good poll. :tiki:

H
Helz posted on Sat, Feb 12, 2005 5:55 PM

SPARKS?!? - Oh Hell no. Never, never, never again.

But I'd have to go with Sunshine Wheat by Odell's in Fort Collins, CO (Also home of 'Fat Tire' by New Belgium brewery). It and their 90 Shilling are the only beers that I have found that I like.

[ Edited by: HelzTiki on 2005-02-12 17:55 ]

A

Boddingtons

On 2005-02-12 09:33, Gigantalope wrote:
One need'nt get staggering to enjoy a fine malt product before noon, and some go very well with toast and marmalade.

At it again with the marmalade, are you? You've been off on a camping and drinking beer for breakfast bender all this time! You can't fool me!

A rather elaborate TIKI project I had been working on for quite a while was derailed by Cancer. (Not my own thankfully)

It's been a distressing topic for me for a bit...

I have however been working on some artwork which I hope blossoms into something Tiki-esque.

Thanks for the kind words tho.

P

Yes indeed "the Cream of Manchester" is the right choice. Leave it to my man, Al.

(odd that when you hit the backspace button twice it casts a duplicate post)

Explorer sucks.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2005-02-12 19:50 ]

P

Yes indeed "the Cream of Manchester" is the right choice. Leave it to my man, Al.

On 2005-02-12 16:54, DawnTiki wrote:
Gigantalope gives good poll. :tiki:

snort hahaha!

Not much of a beer drinker, and I'm partial to donut/sweetroll breakfasts, so I'd probably say Dixie's White Chocolate beer.
Or some sort of shandy.

pacifico for me. ummmm donuts.

Newcastle, barring that, Guiness.

A good pint of stout, to go with the bacon, eggs, black pudding, mushrooms, fried bread, sausages and beans.

That gets my day started.

This is close enough to breakfast for most, but I spent a fair time living on the SW coast of Ireland and found the best time for guiness was around 11.00am.
This was because traditionally ,and as most Irish would agree Guiness should be served at close to room temp. But now it seems tastes are changing and there is an influx of 'Extra Cold'
The thing was because the coolers were turned on in the mornings when the landlord got the bar ready ,at around 11.00 even the 'Extra Cold' was at the perfect temp so the perfect time(Excuse) for a drink.

T

I agree that camping trips are really the most appropriate venue for beer before noon.

There are no clocks around, and the chipmunks dont seem to judge.

Hey Kon-Hemsby, I had a Sierra Nevada with Black Pudding just today for brekkie. It was served with it's sinister cousin, White Pudding.

Black Pudding to the best of my knowledge is Oats, Pepper and Blood. but as you know, it's top notch stuff...

But...what is White Pudding?

"Guinness is for Strength"

with Coco Puffs, at room temp. please.

TBird.

On 2005-02-13 17:41, Gigantalope wrote:
Hey Kon-Hemsby, I had a Sierra Nevada with Black Pudding just today for brekkie. It was served with it's sinister cousin, White Pudding.

Black Pudding to the best of my knowledge is Oats, Pepper and Blood. but as you know, it's top notch stuff...

But...what is White Pudding?

White blood cells and udder?

No, I checked this out and it's "WHITE PUDDING: Simply oatmeal and suet with a traditional blend of spices." Which begs the question, what's suet?

Back to breakfast beers - I actually would go the other way from the stouts and go for a refreshing weiss bier, ideally with a slice of lemon floating on the top. Cleanses the palette & clears out the cobwebs.

Trader Woody

I agree...something refreshing with a hint of citrus would really make for a nice morning beverage.

Now to the suet. Suet is beef fat. It's used to fuse together birdseed to make a nice snack for your feathered friends, it's also used in cooking. Mincemeat uses suet, it's usually the only "meaty" thing about it(these days anyhow). Lard is just fat from a pig instead of a cow.

Usually what beer to have for breakfast depends on what beer I still have on hand after my Desert Beer the night before. Guiness works, or try a Black Velvet (a Champane & Stout cocktail). A boilermaker is a classic, just a draft & a shot to stick to your ribs & get you through the rest of the day. When I fill up my Stone Brewing Double Bastard 3 litre growler breakfast the next morning is usually the last glassfull left in the bottle.

It doesn't really matter what beer you enjoy for breakfast, just that you enjoy it.

Incidentally, I was just reading about the rising popularity of beer in Russia. The alcohol content of their local brews is about 7-8% and by far most popular time to drink it is between 7:00am & 9:00am. Drinking beer for breakfast on the subway in Moscow is as common as a coffee is in the West.

Trader Woody

On 2005-02-15 12:14, Trader Woody wrote:
Incidentally, I was just reading about the rising popularity of beer in Russia. The alcohol content of their local brews is about 7-8% and by far most popular time to drink it is between 7:00am & 9:00am. Drinking beer for breakfast on the subway in Moscow is as common as a coffee is in the West.

Trader Woody

o man, high acl beers in the morning, thats even to rough for me... except for lambics!

TBird.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bird on 2005-02-15 12:54 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Bird on 2005-02-15 12:55 ]

On 2005-02-15 12:54, Tiki Bird wrote:

o man, high acl beers in the morning, thats even to rough for me... except for lambics!
TBird.

Mmmm...cherry lambic...

I have this little Bing cherry tree out back that produces the most wonderful fruit, I wonder if it would make a decent lambic?

I wonder if the cherry would go well with the sorrel?(cherry/hibiscus lambic?)

Boy...am I getting thirsty!

M

Import: Murphy's Irish Stout

American: Black Butte Porter out of the Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon - my favorite American brew - morning, noon, or night.

But why wait 'til breakfast?

Tikiwahine, you can get the yeast for Lambics in a culture from White Labs and Y-yeast but culturing your own is really a tightrope walk.

I've had good luck making something malty (or a sweet mead) and mixing in the tart fruit tea after fermentation to keep the acids from getting out of hand, and having a bit more control over the end product.

It's not the way Lambics are done in Belgium, but you get a feel for what proportions you like best.

Just an FYI also, most lambics are have sugar added. (Caltillion may sell one that's unsweetend) If you don't add the sugar (after fermentation of course) it wont be like what you expect.

TB

On 2005-02-15 13:28, Tikiwahine wrote:

On 2005-02-15 12:54, Tiki Bird wrote:

TBird.

Mmmm...cherry lambic...

I have this little Bing cherry tree out back that produces the most wonderful fruit, I wonder if it would make a decent lambic?

I wonder if the cherry would go well with the sorrel?(cherry/hibiscus lambic?)

Boy...am I getting thirsty!

Definitely give it a try, not knowing what a hibiscus beer would taste like, adding any kind of fruit flavor would only help. I would probably only do a small batch (3gal) to see how it turns out though. I hate being stuck with 5-10 gallons of soso beer.

TBird.

S

Guiness for me too! but Murphy's runs a close second. Actually, the wife says it's making me fat, so I have to sneak it. Lately, all I ever see in our fridge is married(lite) beer. but hey, I can get four or five of those for the calories of one good stout!

Thanks Gigantilope & TikiBird!

We have access to white labs, and Y as well I believe, I'll have to give it a try.

The hibiscus is a bright flowery flavor, they should go pretty well together.

Good call on the small batch suggestion, I may harass the local club to see if anyone has lambic experience.

I'll report back when we start the process.

McEwans! or Guinness- it's a meal in a bottle!

but if it's ever available in the US again, it would be Watney's Cream stout

-Z

Hey Feelin' Zombified, those Scotch Ales pack a punch! Great choice. Moylan's Brewery makes one called "Kiltlifter"...it's about 8%...and it's not as pricey as the the Belgian or British Scotch Ales. Russian Imperial Stouts are another style (also Scottish in origin) that packs a whallup.

Old Rasputain is a splendid example...just watchout for the afterbreakfast surprize nap.

Crap, hubby doesn't like lambics...so the hibiscus project may be a cerveza or something of the sort. Otherwise, he's excited about using it.

Something I'd love for breakfast, even though I've never tried it, although I AM biased:

M

On 2005-02-18 07:18, Gigantalope wrote:
Hey Feelin' Zombified, those Scotch Ales pack a punch! Great choice. Moylan's Brewery makes one called "Kiltlifter"...it's about 8%...and it's not as pricey as the the Belgian or British Scotch Ales. Russian Imperial Stouts are another style (also Scottish in origin) that packs a whallup.

Old Rasputain is a splendid example...just watchout for the afterbreakfast surprize nap.

Pike's Place Brewery in Seattle also makes a good "Kilt Lifter"

The 'sputin is good stuff. But the nap is mandatory. 8.9% alcohol. mmmmm. breakfast.

old milwauke. $10.99 for a 30 pk. always a few left in the morning.

OK. Well, lookin at the mess from breakfast my awesome hubby of 16 years has left, I'd say he's having a great day! Let's see... we've got toast with goose grease, an empty bottle of Bischofshof, Steingadener Weisse Dunkel, and a Weltenburger Kloster Barock-Dunkel. Yes, he's German. Very. Yesterday's empties, standards around here: Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, Aktien-Brauerei Oktoberfest, Paulener Oktoberfest Marzen, Allgauer Brauhaus Oktoberfest and (my dad must have stopped by) an O.K. Okocim Piwo Jasne Pelne (Polish). And about 19 cases of more, foreign sounding swill in the garage. He says, Jah! Yoo nev-air knoow ven soom frainds vill be coomin by, giels? And he says he did not go to work (for the phone co) with all that beer in his belly. He went "C.S." to get a "Bass-womb roog". (that's a bathroom rug at Sears.)

On 2005-03-04 17:28, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
OK. Well, lookin at the mess from breakfast my awesome hubby of 16 years has left, I'd say he's having a great day! Let's see... we've got toast with goose grease, an empty bottle of Bischofshof, Steingadener Weisse Dunkel, and a Weltenburger Kloster Barock-Dunkel. Yes, he's German. Very. Yesterday's empties, standards around here: Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, Aktien-Brauerei Oktoberfest, Paulener Oktoberfest Marzen, Allgauer Brauhaus Oktoberfest and (my dad must have stopped by) an O.K. Okocim Piwo Jasne Pelne (Polish). And about 19 cases of more, foreign sounding swill in the garage. He says, Jah! Yoo nev-air knoow ven soom frainds vill be coomin by, giels? And he says he did not go to work (for the phone co) with all that beer in his belly. He went "C.S." to get a "Bass-womb roog". (that's a bathroom rug at Sears.)

You had me at "Goose Grease"...

Even if the goose was from Christmas? He keeps it in a big glass jar at the back of the fridge. Lasts til about mid March.

M

Gee Whiz! You folks certainly enjoy easing into the morning! I'm not a huge beer fan, but do enjoy a good oatmeal stout. And have enjoyed a belgian lambic after, (yes, at a real job), working all night. For a truly brutal morning-after-the-night-before I've long been a red beer drinker. An ice cold pilsner with a healthy splash of tomato juice really helps to make the leap to food. Mind you, those were my younger days, before I learned to control such beastly hangovers. Hope I haven't turned the thread away from pure 'just havin' a brew in the mornin'...cheers, Timmy

"Laugh while you can..."

[ Edited by: MonkeyBoy on 2005-03-05 01:52 ]

How do you control beastly hang overs? I had to give up drinking last May due to horrendous hang overs! I only drank at social occasions, and not a ton. I would love to indulge in a lil tiki drinky now and then, so give up your secret!

Hau 'oli Tiki

I've heard wonder stories about boullion or Vegemite before bed. (and gatorade) I think it's the salt which is the key.

Is the goosefat a german thing? I know of a german restaurant that sels jars of salty pig fat around christmas. I think I recall some family from Norway eating goose fat in winter.

Strange stuff that.

It's german allright. He grew up over his unkles butcher shop in Nurneberg. They sold the fat from the geese in car loads, he claims. They eat it on toast and sprinkle salt and pepper on it! I have to do a goose each Christmas just for the fat. He says he hasn't heard of any one really doing the pork fat. He has a buddy, Alejandro Ray Sumpepe Realyvasquez the 3rd, that enjoys it. And it all goes great with beir! (That was hubby)

Pages: 1 43 replies