Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Chicago Exotica 2005

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 231 replies

B

We just wanted to remind everyone that tomorrow (the 10th) will be the last day that the Write Inn will be holding rooms for Exotica attendees. They will still extend the discount until that weekend if there are any rooms available, but our hold on the block expires tomorrow, so there is no guarantee that there will be anything available (it's not a very big hotel). You might also want to check the availability of rooms at the Carleton as well. Our hold on rooms there has expired already, but we believe there were other parties with large blocks being held that have been released also, so there MIGHT be some rooms in their "Motor Lodge" portion of the hotel. It's worth looking into if you have not yet made your reservation.

We also have images of some of the raffle items up on the vendors page of the Exotica site http://www.chicagoexotica.com . We have yet to receive everything that will be offered as prizes, so we'll have more than what is currently on display. Our picture does not do the Pariarts sign justice. It's so awesome! And check out the cool Bosko shield, the Munktiki mugs (in crazy colors), and Doug's (Swamp Fire Tiki) great prints! We'll have more goodies and there will be door prizes at each event too! We also recently received the official Exotica T-shirts and posters. They look great and are so well printed, they really do Dr. Alderente's art justice.

-Amy and Duke

man, ive never won anything in a raffle, but lookin at those items, i pray i break that curse at exotica this year!!!

:tiki: The anticipation is killing me! Just 2 weeks to go! Can't wait to see the finalized Exotica mug by Tiki Diablo! I noticed on the Exotica home page that the Hi-Risers are no longer listed as appearing. Did they have to back out(other commitments)? Any word? Counting the days...

Cheers!

B

We hate to have to break the bad news, but we just recently got word that the Hi-Risers will not be at Exotica. They cancelled their participation in the summer tour they were slated to do with the Los Straitjackets. Worse still is the word we are getting from the manager for Petty Booka. Seems as though one of the girls may be leaving the band. If that happens, they will not be coming to the US at all. We are waiting for confirmation one way or the other, but it's looking pretty grim. That is why they are not on the schedule either.

As disappointed as we are, we still think we have a great line-up and will have an awesome time the whole weekend and we hope lots of you will be joining us. We are excited about the mug that Danny is finishing work on, and just yesterday we received the DiPinto guitar that will be offered in the raffle on Saturday. It's really fantastic!

-Duke and Amy

That mug looks great. Sure wish we still lived in the area to attend Exotica.

in case anyone might not know or have forgotten, there is beaches in chicago -

http://www.chicagotraveler.com/attractions/oak-street-beach.html
http://www.chicagotraveler.com/attractions/north-avenue-beach.html
http://www.wkarch.com/NABH/northave.htm

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2005-06-25 11:37 ]

As the time grows nearer.....the excitement builds!!! Nine days and counting.......

E
EsQui posted on Wed, Jun 29, 2005 7:28 PM

Lissette and I are counting the days! I've been working on some new tiki pop art for all of you. Sally and Jay, wish you guys could be here.

EsQui.

http://www.galleryhidden.com

S

The Pontani Sisters are the best. Not only knock-out with more energy than you can imagine and never dropping their smiles, but super nice girls to boot! Love the way they shake it!

E
EsQui posted on Thu, Jun 30, 2005 4:18 PM

Love the radio station, Swanky.

:tiki:Yes! 7 days to go!!! Alright, this is one final plea. I know many of you (Chicago area mainly) have your own transportation to and from each Exotica event. Unfortunately, being an out-of-towner my mode of transportation will have to rely on the green line or any of those other color lines running through Greater Chicago. I decided not to rent a car (mistake?). There has to be many of you riding the line. Right? Let's hear from you! The T.C. members could get together before going to Vic's on Thur. night, so we could arrive all at once.. Any ideas or suggestions? I am staying at the Write Inn. Let's hear some feedback!

Cheers!

T

I'm pretty sure we'll (Power of the Tiki & myself) be riding the lines most of the time. We're @ the motorlodge. Ahh a week from now. :)

turbogod is practicing his public transportation dance dance revolution...

I

Those who are carless - here is some information I received on suggested ways of getting around in Chicago ....

Oak Park to Trader Vics

• Train: Green line to Madison
    Walk south to Monroe

Trader Vics to Martyrs

• Train: Brown line to Irving Park
    walk .4 west to Lincoln Avenue

Martyrs to Delilahs

• Train: Brown line south to Diversey
    walk .4 west to Lincoln Avenue

Hala Kahiki

• Best bet: drive or cab

Oak Park to Chef Shangri-La

• #307 Harlem bus south to 26th Street
  • West 1 mile on 26th

Vern

B

On 2005-06-23 10:16, SallyandJay wrote: Sure wish we still lived in the area to attend Exotica.

You know, you don't have to LIVE in Chicago to BE in Chicago to attend Exotica. Many folks are traveling from far-flung destinations to be here for the fun. We'd love to see the two of you again soon. Seriously, if you can't make it to Exotica that's fine, but if you have the chance to come to Chi-town to spend some quality Tiki-time, please give us a shout.
-Duke and Amy

:tiki:Finally some response! Now we are getting somewhere! Turbogod and Johnny Dollar are on board! Who's next? Is the motorlodge connected? I have no clue? Thanks ikitnrev, for your detailed list! What's this cab or bus to Hala Kahiki? Ouch!

T

question: Boutiki or anyone who knows, what is the rule on cameras and or videocameras being performances.

Also, ikitnrev where is the tour of Duke and Amy's house on your list. :D

On 2005-07-01 10:19, teaKEY wrote:
question: Boutiki or anyone who knows, what is the rule on cameras and or videocameras being performances.

Also, ikitnrev where is the tour of Duke and Amy's house on your list. :D

Cameras will not be a problem, But not sure about video.

Less than a week to go!!!
TTFN
D&C

T

you know what, I think camera will do just fine anyways

D

So, when's everyone planning on going to Hala Kahiki? Is there gonna be somewhere where we all can meet?

BTW, anyone know what price the tiki mug is gonna be?

On 2005-07-01 12:01, Dawn32 wrote:
So, when's everyone planning on going to Hala Kahiki? Is there gonna be somewhere where we all can meet?

BTW, anyone know what price the tiki mug is gonna be?

Dawn,
Hala Kahiki get together is on Friday, check out the event website http://www.chicagoexotica.com . Hopefully this will answer some of your ?'s. Are you going to the Chef on Sunday?
See ya next week.
D&C

S

Wish I was going.
Can someone tell Del Villareal
howdy for me, and tell
Ken Mottet (the mc) that he was missed in Indianapolis.
Thanks much, and I hope y'all have a
super time!!!
Pea

T

Dawn, I believe the planners have Hala Kahiki scheduled in at 4-7 on Friday. I think I am going to go over the Chef Shangri-La for dinner - and the best Mai Tai outside of Trader Vic's - afterwards. I can cart some people over there in the Mobile Exploration Lab 2.0, if anyone wants to join me. Drop me a PM.

On 2005-07-01 15:54, tikibars wrote:

Dawn, I believe the planners have Hala Kahiki scheduled in at 4-7 on Friday. I think I am going to go over the Chef Shangri-La for dinner - and the best Mai Tai outside of Trader Vic's - afterwards. I can cart some people over there in the Mobile Exploration Lab 2.0, if anyone wants to join me. Drop me a PM.

Hate to sound re-dundant but,
....you could check the website to get the correct times for all the events http://www.chicagoexotica.com
....the correct time is actually 3pm to 7pm with an after party at the side bar at Fitzgeralds & Southern Culture is playing in the club also that nite!
TTFN

T

Hey everyoe -

I just got a phone call from Miss Formica, Alice Berry. She is one the road from Texas to Chicago as we speak, and has discovered that her room mate for the weekend has had to cancel plans to attend.

So - she either needs someone to be her room mate in the hotel she has booked (it is one of the ones in Oak Park), or needs to cancel the room and jump in to a room mate situation with someone who has an extra bed.

I am hesitant to post her cell number in public, and she will not have internet access until after she arrives in Chicago, so if anyone either needs a place to stay or has extra space in their room, PM me and I will put you in touch with Alice.

M

I have never been to any Tiki event and I'm stoked to see that it's coming up. I plan on bringin the wahine and menehune along to the Sat event at Fitzgeralds but I wanted to pose a few questions if anyone can help.

Which of the events is best to see the vendors for the weekend?

I see that Fitzgeralds welcomes families but are there really other kids that go to these things? (my daughter is 5)

Would it be too much to put on a maori face pattern for the event?

Any info would help since I have no idea of what to expect. Mahalo to you all and hope to run into some of you on Sat.

E
EsQui posted on Tue, Jul 5, 2005 10:29 AM

Hi ManoKoa,

Saturday is the only event that vendors will be set up. Just a few days to go!

Esqui
http://www.galleryhidden.com

:tiki: Still have not heard from many of the T.C. faithful! Who is going to Vic's on Thur. the 7th riding the Green Line. I am staying at The Write Inn. I can't be the only out-of-towner at this hotel! I know some of you are at The Carleton (Turbogod,Johnny$,etc.),but there has to be others! Let's hear from you! If not, Turbo and Johnny$ what time are you going to Vic's? I will be arriving in Chicago sometime around 4:00 p.m. I was thinking of hitching a ride on the Line sometime after 6:00. Sound doable? How far is The Write Inn from The Carleton in Oak Park? Anybody?

Cheers!

T

On 2005-07-05 15:59, blacksandz wrote:
:tiki: Still have not heard from many of the T.C. faithful! Who is going to Vic's on Thur. the 7th riding the Green Line. I am staying at The Write Inn. I can't be the only out-of-towner at this hotel! I know some of you are at The Carleton (Turbogod,Johnny$,etc.),but there has to be others! Let's hear from you! If not, Turbo and Johnny$ what time are you going to Vic's? I will be arriving in Chicago sometime around 4:00 p.m. I was thinking of hitching a ride on the Line sometime after 6:00. Sound doable? How far is The Write Inn from The Carleton in Oak Park? Anybody?

Cheers!

Arriving around 5pm. Probably safe to say will be checking in around 6pm, dropping off bags and heading out asap. Have no idea how far the 2 places are from each other.

:tiki: Wow! Turbo that is cutting it close! Not even enough time to breathe! If I knew the distance(walking?)from the Write Inn to The Carleton Motor Inn, I could possibly meet you at the Inn. There has to be some sort of sub-station for the Green Line in Oak Park? Chi-town regulars any help? Damn, I sure would like to see that dance! I definitely don't want to go by myself to Vic's!

On 2005-07-05 19:06, blacksandz wrote:
:tiki: Wow! Turbo that is cutting it close! Not even enough time to breathe! If I knew the distance(walking?)from the Write Inn to The Carleton Motor Inn, I could possibly meet you at the Inn. There has to be some sort of sub-station for the Green Line in Oak Park? Chi-town regulars any help? Damn, I sure would like to see that dance! I definitely don't want to go by myself to Vic's!

Here are the Directions from msn maps

Start: Depart Start on Pleasant St (West) 0.1 < 1min
1: Turn RIGHT (North) onto SR-43 [Harlem Ave] 0.2 0:01
2: Turn RIGHT (East) onto Lake St 0.6 0:01
3: Turn LEFT (North) onto N Oak Park Ave 0.1 0:01
End: Arrive End < 0.1 < 1min
Total Route 1.0 mi 3 mins

F

This may be a lame question, but at Fitzgeralds is the pig roast included in the ticket price? or is it just an admission fee?

On 2005-07-05 20:58, finkdaddy wrote:
This may be a lame question, but at Fitzgeralds is the pig roast included in the ticket price? or is it just an admission fee?

The pig roast is not included in the ticket price, but all the fabulous bands are.
See Ya There!

Hey Monsieur Tikibars...

is Formica still looking for a roomie?!?

Sorry for the multiple communiques...

:wink: tikivixen

:tiki: First off, let me say 24 hrs. or less and counting! Powerofthetiki, I completely forget you were heading to Chicago with Turbogod. Of course, MSN maps (Yahoo,etc.)what am I thinking! Thanks so much for giving me the details to the Carleton Motor Inn. The distance from the Write Inn is just an oar's length away. No problems! I will be waiting for the two of you at the Motor Inn. You will spot me, I will be the one with my tongue dragging on the ground, waiting for a Mai Tai! With all that Maryland mana exuding from power and turbo, it should be easy spotting the two of you! Besides, I will just look for two individuals stumbling over luggage with a crazed look in their eyes, dying for a drink! I hope you guys see this post before you leave. See you soon! Get those dancing shoes ready Turbo!

Aloha Chicago!

"Bet your bottom dollar you lose the blues in Chicago, Chicago... Chairman of the Board.

D

I just heard some upsetting news that Purple Jade will be missing Exotica because of Tropical Storm Dennis, which is expected to be a category 3 or 4 hurricane by Saturday night, and is predicted to hit New Orleans by Sunday, the day she would be flying home. Tropical storm Cindy hit last night and left quite a bit of destruction in its wake, she was without power from last night and for most of the day today. Miss PJ is looking at quite a bit of clean up because of Cindy, the storm hit her parents house pretty hard.
PJ is very upset that she will be missing out on Exotica.
Since her elderly parents rely solely on her for support, and since category 4 hurricanes are mandatory evacuations for the city of New Orleans, they can't leave without her help. Plus to make matters worse her Mother in Law was in a head on car crash today and was sent to the hospital, thank God for airbags!
I guess when it rains it pours.
Poor thing, I just got off the phone with her and she was in tears.
I'm writing this to let people know she wont be attending the event.
I have no doubt that there is no other place she'd rather be other than in Chi-town having the time of her life with her TC ohana.
I know less than nothing about hurricanes, I just hope it isn't as bad as the National Hurricane Center is predicting.
Cuz it don't sound good.
Batten down the hatches New Orleans!
It is better to be safe than sorry!
PJ your making the right decision, to stay and take care of your family and friends if they should need you.
Your a good daughter!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-07-06 18:12 ]

god, hurricanes even effecting chicago tiki events???....thats horrible!......

also, duke/amy, are the tickets etickets? will there just be lists at the door??...we ordered our tickets last thursday and havent gotten them in the mail, we'll have our paypal recipt with us for proof, but i was just wondering if the vics and fitzgeralds events were will call/etickets, or actual paper tickets sent out???

T

PJ, sorry to hear about all that's going on. Was looking forward to being part of the PJ Subway Posse. Take care.

B

Aloha!
We are running around like a couple of crazy people with all the last minute details for this weekend, but I wanted to address a couple of your questions.

ManoKoa, there are others who have indicated they are going to bring their Kikis on Saturday, and of course kids are welcome. We'll have our little guy in tow for part of the day, but he's only 16 months old, so not much fun for your 5 year old. As for a Maori face piece, if you feel the urge, I'd say do it. I'm not sure there is anything that could be "too much" at Exotica. Who knows, you might want to participate in the best attire contest.

teaKEY, I don't think the entertainers would mind having folks photograph or videotape the event so long as it's for personal use and not any commercial enterprise. If any of the bands were to object (which I doubt) I'm sure you'd honor their wishes.

hala bullhiki, Sorry to have not made this clear on our website, but there are no paper tickets issued, we will have your name at the door for the event. You should have received an email about this a couple of days ago.

We are thrilled to be getting some really great press coverage for Exotica. This past week's Time Out Chicago had a nice piece and there are going to be stories in the Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune, the Chicago Journal, and a couple of suburban papers. There will also be appearances on morning TV Friday the 8th. The Cocktail Preachers and the Barefoot Hawaiian will appear on NBC channel 5 and King Kukulele will be on nationally syndicated WGN channel 9. So if you are up with your coffee early (or just getting in from the night before) be sure to tune in.

Looking forward to this weekend!
-Amy

Purple Jade that is very sad news. Best of luck. Family is everything. God bless.

This article in today's Riverside Landmark News
http://www.rblandmark.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=491&SectionID=1&SubSectionID=&S=1
Peace Out,
D&C

W
wgk001 posted on Thu, Jul 7, 2005 5:09 AM

Aloha TCers!

This is George from the Windy City Islanders. My Bruddahs Chris, Craig, the Baron, and I are warmed up and ready to get the show kicking and the Zombies and Mai Tai's flowing as we lead off on Saturday at 1pm at Fitzgerald's. We are looking forward to seeing everyone there!

D

Just curious-at either Hala Kahiki or Fitzgerald's,will there be a place for people to find out the TC'rs who are attending?-ala "The Sting"? Would love to greet folks,but as most people will be in Hawaiian garb,this would not narrow down the pack.

T

When you see a TC'r you will know. :)
To point me out, I'll be wearing a red and white THE BUS aloha shirt @ Hala Kahiki. You don't have to call me TURBOgod. TURBO g. will do just fine. :) Will probably be hanging with Johnny$ and Mrs. $, PoweroftheTiki, ikitnrev & Formikahini. So now you can find 6 of us. Plane leaves in a few hours. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehah

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar
It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat; but the man worth while, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat

[ Edited by: Turbogod 2005-07-07 06:56 ]

ill be easy to find : large black cat tattooed on my left forearm

At Hala Kahiki, feel free to buy drinks for the 6ft white guy in a green shirt.

:)

-Z

M

I don't know any of you but I will definitely make an effort to.

It all depends on my busy schedule if I have time to put the maori markings on but in case you are looking, I will be the asian looking one w/ glasses, keiki, and wife nearby.

It might be a little corporate, but I could bring stickers just in case you guys need help ID'ing each other.

D

The sticker thing is a good idea.Has anyone made reservations at Hala Kahiki,or can you just show up?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 231 replies