Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2005 - Details Announced!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies

http://www.thehukilau.com

We will be announcing the amazing details within the next few weeks. We hope to see you all there this year. Stay tuned to this posting for further details.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2005-04-03 08:17 ]

Beautiful rendering!

Captures the feeling of how the tiki mana of the MaiKai illuminates the night.

That is BEAUTIFUL, Tiki Kiliki! Magical!

But where are the winds blowing all the trees sideways? And the drizzle? Something's missing... :wink:

Counting the days,
F

shhhhhh, don't say such things.

This will be a year to remember!

tiki kiliki,
Wow, that is really beautiful. Definitely sets the right mood for your site. Are you settled into Ft. Lauderdale yet?
KG

B

Yes it is a Beautiful page. Can't wait. I will be at Hukilau 2005.Thanks TK
Happyhappyhappy

You and me both BEN!

B

Maybe we'll be closer together this time tct!

F

I will try with all my might to get there this year, but that is quite some drive for me!

Perhaps a carpool is in order. What do you think Dave? :D

Yes, Geoff - I'm settling in nicely when I get a chance. I travel so much with my new position that I play catch up each time I arrive back in Lauderdale, but it always helps to go to the Mai Kai to get grounded.

Everyone will be estatic when we finally announce the details...it's so tough to not tell you! Soon though...very soon!

Also, vendors, if you want to be placed by a particular vendor just let me know - I'd be happy to arrange that for you.

We had a killer neighborhood last year with Chisel Slinger and Danny... and who can forget Poly Pop's Tiki Pop Art! Add Ben into our neighborhood and it is no contest... standing room only! Add Tiki Tony and Drift to the mix and we're talking Party Out of Bounds!

Stoked! Hukilau!

S

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, October! I think maybe I can go!!!
PEa

M

On 2005-03-02 09:48, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Yes, Geoff - I'm settling in nicely when I get a chance. I travel so much with my new position that I play catch up each time I arrive back in Lauderdale, but it always helps to go to the Mai Kai to get grounded.

Everyone will be estatic when we finally announce the details...it's so tough to not tell you! Soon though...very soon!

Also, vendors, if you want to be placed by a particular vendor just let me know - I'd be happy to arrange that for you.

I heard Boxcar Willie and Zamfir are performing!! :)

On 2005-03-02 10:02, Lake Surfer wrote:
We had a killer neighborhood last year with Chisel Slinger and Danny... and who can forget Poly Pop's Tiki Pop Art! Add Ben into our neighborhood and it is no contest... standing room only! Add Tiki Tony and Drift to the mix and we're talking Party Out of Bounds!

Stoked! Hukilau!

Yeah it was a blast (I shared the booth with Danny (Tiki Diablo)... Like you said, add Tiki Tony and Adrift and its all good! I definitely want to get back there this year -- sign me up next to Lake Surfer!!!

T

On 2005-03-02 10:32, mrsmiley wrote:

Bruce, all I can say about that is that I have been busting my butt for the past two months to get two VERY exciting artists lined up for this event. Both of them are 90% confirmed, and we'll be able to make announcements in the next week or so, hopefully.

Christie and I were on the phone last night discussing details, and I think we both had to get off the phone before we peed our pants with excitement.

Old-Skool Exotica fans will be pleased.

More next week.

PS - Boxcar wanted too much money, and Zamfir could not be located. Last I heard, he was performing for small groups of Inuit in Alaska, the only gig he could get.

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2005-03-02 10:50 ]

On 2005-03-02 10:50, tikibars wrote:

PS - Boxcar wanted too much money, and Zamfir could not be located.

I've got some bad news.....Boxcar's dead.

M

On 2005-03-02 10:32, mrsmiley wrote:

Bruce, all I can say about that is that I have been busting my butt for the past two months to get two VERY exciting artists lined up for this event. Both of them are 90% confirmed, and we'll be able to make announcements in the next week or so, hopefully.

Christie and I were on the phone last night discussing details, and I think we both had to get off the phone before we peed our pants with excitement.

Old-Skool Exotica fans will be pleased.

More next week.

PS - Boxcar wanted too much money, and Zamfir could not be located. Last I heard, he was performing for small groups of Inuit in Alaska, the only gig he could get.

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2005-03-02 10:50 ]

Yes, I know. :wink: Each year the entertainment is more incredible than the previous.
WARNING: If you book Johnny and the Hurricanes (Red River Rock, Beatnik Fly). I AIN'T going!!! :) No Hurricanes are invited!

M

On 2005-03-02 10:57, cynfulcynner wrote:

PS - Boxcar wanted too much money, and Zamfir could not be located.

I've got some bad news.....Boxcar's dead.

well, duh!! Do you know how much it costs to raise someone from the dead, re-animate them, and buy them NEW clothes!?! That is why Boxcar WIllie wants SOOO much!! :)

Nice try Bruce - everyone will find out when the site is updated.

VENDORS - very important. I sent an email to all vendors from last and previous years of Hukilau. You are being considered first for the limited vendor spacing in the main ballroom. I have only heard back from 4 of you. I already have a waiting list of new vendors so if you're wanting to return or are a new vendor wanting to participate please send an email to [email protected] - As soon as the site is live you'll be instructed how to pay for your space this year and will get a confirmation. I wanted to give those that have been with us before to have a chance first before I opened up the gates.

M

On 2005-03-02 12:35, tiki_kiliki wrote:

VENDORS - very important. I sent an email to all vendors from last and previous years of Hukilau. I already have a waiting list of new vendors so if you're wanting to return or are a new vendor wanting to participate please send an email to [email protected] - I wanted to give those that have been with us before to have a chance first before I opened up the gates.

Bring back ED'S HEADS!!!! :)

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2005 1:21 PM

The splash page on th esite is awesome. Troika Studios does it again!

M
motiki posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2005 6:50 PM

I'll be back this year with my soap and some wild art projects I am working on that will be available at Hukilau only! Can't wait to see everybody again.

Mahaloz, Mo

T

Hey Motiki,

Don't forget to bring extra bubble wrap. That stuff sure came handy last year. Marian and I are hoping to make it. Hukilau might be our honeymoon, which is cool.

Hukilau 2005 shall be my final vision quest.
Yes Swanky, excellent splash page.

S

Unga, that's not my work. I wish! That's good ol' Seth at Troika Studios again. Those guys are awesome.

J
Jawa posted on Wed, Mar 16, 2005 7:17 AM

I just heard about this last week and my wife and I are excited, as we only live a short distance away in Tampa.

BTW, tiki kiliki, I just picked up an album from a thrift store over the weekend with your little signature image on it...pretty nice!

K

There's a real good chance I'll be making the trip from TX. If I can do it this will be my very first ever tiki event. Just pray for good weather.

On 2005-03-16 10:56, Juno wrote:
There's a real good chance I'll be making the trip from TX. If I can do it this will be my very first ever tiki event. Just pray for good weather.

We hope you come out to W. TX this September for our shin-dig, Juno. And everyone else.

I'd like to go this year, but after the move and trying to start up a home business I don't think I can swing it, esply trying to do my own thing this September.

Oh and Boxcar Willie lived in my old area of Tx (Red Oak), what did they do to honor him? They dediated a railroad bridge to him. I don't even think trains run on the bridge anymore.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2005-03-16 12:12 ]

I only expect good weather this year - of course.

The auction is looking good this year with donations from Oceanic Arts, Bamboo Ben and Keigs to name a few. 50% of proceeds from the auction will go to Hanford Lemoore for Tiki Central expenses, 25% to a charity of my choice that will be announced at Hukilau and the remaining to event expenses.

Just wait until you guys see the site - it will be up the first of April.

lets get back to the entertainment you and j.t. have been workin on....when will we know?...im ready to pee my pants with anticipation!!!....lol....

That'd be entertaining! :lol:

jade will you be up for exotica to sell your necklaces again???

I assure you the site will be ready by the 1st of April. You will be glad you waited for the entire package. We won't let anything leak until then - you can count on it!

S

They have outdone themselves this year. They have a real whopper of a line up. Be there or be Buffett! :wink:

T

On 2005-03-16 21:46, tiki_kiliki wrote:
I assure you the site will be ready by the 1st of April. You will be glad you waited for the entire package. We won't let anything leak until then - you can count on it!

April 1st....April Fools?????
Don't mind me; I'm just like a kid when it comes to waiting.
Hukilau!!!

tiki kiliki, happy 3 year TC anniversery
Cheers :drink:

Till next time, keep the ice cold and the blender warm.

<

[ Edited by: tikilee on 2005-04-01 12:52 ]

Thanks!!

Just wanted everyone to know that there's been a bit of a delay for the website but not to fear, we are just getting the details final.

M
motiki posted on Fri, Apr 1, 2005 4:56 PM

Tiki Lee,

I'll bring plenty of bubble wrap this year. Great to hear the that you guys are tying the knot. Keep those great Tiki stories coming. I am still waiting to hear from you if you wrote the one we were talking about when we were stranded in the school after we were thrown out of the airport when it closed after Huki Lau 2004. You know, the one about the cursed mug? I really enjoyed reading your story about the Falls. If you are not familiar with Tiki Lee he is the King of Tiki Story writing ,be sure to contact him, his stories are the best and he has put together some from other TC'ers that are sure to please!

HUKILAU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok,

So I've been debating whether or not to announce who is going to be the main lineup this year until the website is up - but I can't wait any longer!!

Robert Drasnin - will debut his new Exotica material in more than 40 years at this years Hukilau!
Yma Sumac - we are not positively sure that she is attending but they have announced it on her website!
Waitiki - the boys from Boston will actually back up Robert Drasnin and play their own set - ending with a call from the crowd of anyone that would like to join a jam session on stage! Calling all uke's!
Tongo-Hiti from Atlanta and the gals from Dames A'Flame!
Slip and the Spinouts from the South Florida scene

and a few more surprises - you'll have to wait for. A year to remember..... And next year is the 50th anniversary of the Mai Kai - imagine what can happen then!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2005-04-01 23:17 ]

and a few more surprises - you'll have to wait for. A year to remember..... And next year is the 50th anniversary of the Mai Kai - imagine what can happen then!

APE????

T

Cobwebs?

Crickets?

Sorry, Crawl-ers, you're missing out on the big news!

For the rest of you, still faithfully surfing TC while our NorCal ohana drink San Francisco dry, it's all true:

I have been on the phone endlessly over the past three months with Robert Drasnin and with Yma's manager.

Drasnin is a done deal, and Yma is 95% confirmed for autographs and an on-stage Q and A session.

Her manager thinks she MAY be up for performing 2 or 3 tunes, but that will not be decided until the 11th hour, depending on how she feels.

Christie and I are so stoked to present this event for you guys - only six months to go!

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Apr 2, 2005 8:22 AM

HUKILAU!

• Be there or be Buffett.*
I

Great news .... with the recent deaths of many of the original exotica artists, it is wonderful that you are making efforts to bring more musicians from the 50's era to Huklilau.

Last year I brought some of my Lps to Hukilau to get autographed by Billy Mure - looks like I will have to do the same again this year!

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev on 2005-04-03 01:20 ]

S
SES posted on Sat, Apr 2, 2005 10:42 AM

Is the Hukilau forum still working? I misplaced my link to it.

S

YEeehhaaaaww!! You just made my day with the announcement of Robert Drasnin at the Hukilau this year!! Great job Tiki Kaliki. Bob is actually a good friend of mine and he sends me a Christmas card every year. Any chance of me getting to introduce him this year? Let me know. I am TOTALLY psyched. He has been working on Voodoo 2 for the last couple of years and hopefully we will get to hear some of this new material. God, I love you guys!!

Jeff

Jeff,

I was actually going to ask you but you beat me to the punch! I would love for you to do the introduction for Drasnin. James worked extra hard on securing him for this year.

Drasnin will debut his first Exotica material in over 40 years at Hukilau!

GREAT!! Thanks Christy, and a BIG thanks to you as well James. Bob is such a great guy. I can't wait for you guys to meet him. He is the the epitome of professionalism and he plays a mean flute too! Is Marlene coming as well?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies