Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2005 - Details Announced!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies

T

On 2005-05-11 19:45, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Jab - I think you should rethink your path. Tiki Torch Nights hosts the 2nd annual pre-party to Hukilau 2005 on October 1st!! Don't miss the Omni Hut though - give me fair warning when you'll be there and I'll try to make the trip there - have you visited there before?

Kiliki - Is this still happening on Oct. 1st? I saw a flyer at the Lucky Tiki last night for Tiki Torch Nights that listed the date as on September 24th. I'm asking because I've made all my travel plans to put me in Atlanta on Oct. 1st. for that event.

FA
S

On 2005-08-15 16:39, Fez Ape wrote:
http://www.thehukilau.com/

That's hukilau dates, not Tiki Torch Night's in Atlanta's date.

FA

WHOOPS!

Jab,

There has been a change of plans for October and Tiki Torch Nights. I have just decided that trying to pull off a Tiki Torch Nights event that close to Hukilau would likely send me over the edge so unfortunately, no I will not have the show on October 1. If your travel plans are already made for Atlanta I would definitely stay on that path as Trader Vic's Atlanta is worth seeing and in my humble opinion it's the best Vic's there is. If you do go, please let me know so I may see that you are well taken care of. But, I might be in town doing an interview so I'll meet ya there if so.

Tiki Torch Nights October will actually feature Ape and a book signing by Otto Von Stroheim with an appearance by Derek. Hopefully I will be well recovered from Hukilau by that point.

Also to note, Torch Nights is now going to a bi-monthly schedule after this months event on 8/27.

Looking forward to seeing you again at Hukilau!

T

Thanks Kiliki for clearing the Tiki Torch Night schedule up for me. It would have been nice if the event happened while I'm in town, but nothing will prevent me from visiting Trader Vic's in Atlanta. I've been wanting to see it for a long time.

I

If you haven't bought your Hukilau tickets you might want to do so quickly. Yma Sumac and Hukilau received a mention on the popular boingboing blog, a site which has already attracted 1.3 million unique visiotors this month. I am assuming that at least several of those viewers will be inspired to attend Hukilau.

http://boingboing.net/ (Yma Sumac/Hukilau posted at 8:17 am on Saturday, Aug 20)

Vern

On 2005-08-20 14:17, ikitnrev wrote:
If you haven't bought your Hukilau tickets you might want to do so quickly. Yma Sumac and Hukilau received a mention on the popular boingboing blog, a site which has already attracted 1.3 million unique visiotors this month. I am assuming that at least several of those viewers will be inspired to attend Hukilau.

http://boingboing.net/ (Yma Sumac/Hukilau posted at 8:17 am on Saturday, Aug 20)

Vern

PLUS...the prices go up a little August 31!

tiki_kiliki,
What is the return policy?
Just Wonderin',
Unga

S

[ Edited by: Swanky 2005-09-02 21:02 ]

Any word on additional motels now that the Cabana is full? Going to Hukilau, huki... huki...huki...huki...hukilau

still searches for cheap flights out of NYC...any word of the street?

M A H A L O

Here's the info on the 3rd hotel contracted for Hukilau guests. This hotel is on US 1 just blocks from the Mai Kai. You will have to take a taxi or drive to and from the festivities on Thursday - Saturday.

If you haven’t yet made your hotel reservations do so now. The Bahia Cabana is now sold out! There are still rooms available at the Bahia Mar where the main event is held and the vendors will be set up. We have contracted another budget hotel that is 2 blocks from the Mai Kai. The Best Western Oakland Park Inn is offering a single and double rate of $75,triple $85 and quad for $95 for Hukilau guests. The phone number is (954)565-4801 – you must inform them that you are booking with the Hukilau group in order to receive this rate. Their cutoff date to make these reservations is September, 25 2005 so act quickly.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=10333

Hope this helps!

Maniac..
NYC to FT Lauderdale. I am flying direct on American airlines out of the NYC area I think it was around $450 round trip for 2 people - I found it through Travelocity - there was some cheaper from Islip in Long Island you may want to check there. I'm not a fan of returning through LI - but I think its cheaper.
Either way I'll see ya all there.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-09-01 19:40 ]

MC

Thank you all for the information + support!!

It is MUCH appreciated!

MC

T

Manic,
Check song airlines. They have non-stops from JFK to Ft. Lauderdale at great prices. But like MM said... hurry, hurry, hurrry!

Dang, dang, dang.
Thanks to my bright idea of ripping out some old carpet, the $1000 it will take to put in new flooring has blown away any possible hope of attending Hukilau this year.

S

[ Edited by: Swanky 2005-09-02 21:02 ]

MC

I did it!!! The plane tix are bought. For the budget travelers out of NYC: the cheapest I found was Continental flights out of Newark, NJ through the AAA members website. (It was even lower than Song + Delta.) Good Luck, other airfare searchers!!!

thanks again everyone for their advice + help!

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Sep 8, 2005 4:31 AM

I've never met anyone from TC and this will be my first tiki event ever. How will I know who's who? Will everyone be wearing a Tiki Central name tag?

We will have Tiki Central name tags for everyone - if they choose to wear them. Glad you're going to make it, we're gonna have a blast!

RT

Every day I open up this link and less frequently, Hukilau website looking for potential Hukilau partymates, but rarely is there anything new. Where is everybody? I am so excited about Hukilau, I can hardly STAND it! I want to talk about Hukilau all day every day, but none of my friends understand! Does anyone else have this problem? Do I need therapy? This is my first Tiki event too, and I just can't wait to meet everybody. Who all is coming from TC? Can we have a show of hands? My cousin, J-Tiki and I are coming in Wednesday evening and staying at the Bahia Mar till the following Wednesday, is anybody out there staying at B-M? This trip is a gift from my family for my 50th Birthday, and let me tell you, you haven't lived until you've partied with the Hempel Twins! We're attending the Late show Saturday night. We'll be in the ocean and the pool most of the time with our umbrella drinks, and plan to buy lots of Tiki loot from our beloved vendors. I hope everybody who can make it comes to Hukilau. See you there! Mahalo, Rev. Tiki

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:32 ]

M

On 2005-09-08 15:37, Chip and Andy wrote:
And, if by anychance you find me under a table or laying in a hallway, can you make sure my drink is still full?

If I see you passed out with a drink in yer hand, I will make sure I finish off that drink so you won't have to worry about SPILLING it !!! :)

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-09-08 16:06 ]

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:58 ]

H

Hanford & I will both be there -- this is Hanford's first trip to the Mai Kai. Don't be shy about coming up to say hi!

T
thejab posted on Fri, Sep 9, 2005 2:10 PM

On 2005-09-09 13:56, Humuhumu wrote:
Hanford & I will both be there -- this is Hanford's first trip to the Mai Kai. Don't be shy about coming up to say hi!

Hooray! What do you say we hit the Wreck Bar at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper between bands on Thursday?!

H

I say yes!

T
thejab posted on Fri, Sep 9, 2005 2:39 PM

Let's get wrecked!

H

Whose turn is it to swim in the pool and make faces at us while we drink?

T
thejab posted on Fri, Sep 9, 2005 2:47 PM

Just like old times... it's been too long!

T
thejab posted on Fri, Sep 9, 2005 2:51 PM

On 2005-09-09 14:40, Humuhumu wrote:

Mrsmiley's of course! Let's hope he can keep his trunks on.

one of the bartenders at the wreck bar writes for the
national inquirer. if any one does swim without their suits
you should pick up the inquirer afterwards to see if any interesting stories pop up. ie two headed mermen and such.

M

On 2005-09-09 14:51, thejab wrote:

On 2005-09-09 14:40, Humuhumu wrote:

Mrsmiley's of course! Let's hope he can keep his trunks on.

ZAZZ!!

D

I'll be down there people. Lookin forward to a rolicking good time.

I'm gonna put a Baby Ruth in the pool :wink: Can't wait. And I'm going to bring a ton of vintage goodies for sale. A ton.

It is with deep regret that I must announce to all of you that Yma Sumac has pulled out of Hukilau 2005. Due to health reasons she will not be able to travel to Ft. Lauderdale for the event. She sends her deepest apologies to all of you.

I wish her well and a speedy recovery.

I know that when you produce an event like this and you book elderly entertainers, you must except that this might happen. It is dissapointing but Hukilau has an amazing lineup this year and I can tell all of you that the Drasnin material is going to knock us all out!

I'll be there as well. My wife with me, but she isn't a big drinker, and has a nasty habit of counting my drinks. I'll need some good-hearted folks to run interference for me. I will definately return the favor.

K

It is with deep regret that I must announce to all of you that Yma Sumac has pulled out of Hukilau 2005. Due to health reasons she will not be able to travel to Ft. Lauderdale for the event. She sends her deepest apologies to all of you.I wish her well and a speedy recovery.

I was worried that this might happen to some of the performers. She'll certainly be missed. Maybe Hukilau 2006?

Actually Hukilau 2006 is already underway as far as the performers and planning. I think we should all just appreciate her influence at this point and hope for her good health.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 11, 2005 8:54 PM

Hi all,

Could someone tell me if this is an invitation only event? If not, what's it all about? If I am able to go, what should I expect?

-Gman

G-Man - Check out the site at http://www.thehukilau.com - follow all the steps in order to attend. You'll see all the performers, schedule of events, etc. It's the party of the year!! Hope to see you there!

D

On 2005-09-10 23:48, tiki_kiliki wrote:
It is with deep regret that I must announce to all of you that Yma Sumac has pulled out of Hukilau 2005. Due to health reasons she will not be able to travel to Ft. Lauderdale for the event. She sends her deepest apologies to all of you.

BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's too bad. I was really looking forward to seeing her and getting her to sign my LPs. Well, whaddayagonna do? I totally understand, and hope she feels better. This same thing sorta happened to me a few years back when I got tickets to see Jerry Lewis and the show was cancelled because he was just starting his bout with pulminary fibrosis. I guess that's what happens when you're a show-biz person that has been around for a loong time.

I wish her well and I know that Hukilau will be a blast anyway. :drink:

I

I know I'm late to this board but..... Where's the merch?! The Hukilau 2005 mug?! If this question has already been answered I'm sorry (there's a lot of posting here!).

IKABOD -

Funny you should ask. The merchandise page will be updated no later than tomorrow afternoon. You'll be able to see Official Hukilau merchandise and most of the auction items as well. We've had a delay on the bowl and shots so that's why we haven't updated yet, but trust me, when you see what Hukilau has this year, it will be worth the wait!

If you're on the Hukilau news list then just watch for the announcement! I'll be sending it out to the list first!

MG

CHECK IT OUT! The official serigraph is on sale now!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16504&forum=12&2

M

On 2005-09-11 10:05, Raffertiki wrote:
I'll be there as well. My wife with me, but she isn't a big drinker, and has a nasty habit of counting my drinks. I'll need some good-hearted folks to run interference for me. I will definately return the favor.

I have a simple solution-just drink Rum Barrels, a couple will do you in!!! :)

J
Jawa posted on Tue, Sep 13, 2005 12:13 PM

Aloha!!!

My fantabulous wahine bought tickets (and arrangements) to the Hukilau as a surprise early birthday gift for me!

One question though, we both have school that we can not miss on Thursday night here in Tampa, so we will be driving down first thing Friday morning. Where/how do we pick up passes, etc. since we are not going to make the Thursday registration time.

Mahalo!

• Jason

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies