Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2005 - Details Announced!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies

S

Hurricane season is a long period, but the probability is a bell curve, meaning, the earlier and later you are in the season, the lower the chances of a hurricane. Last year, with 4 of them in Florida, the last was Jeanne in mid September, the first was Charlie in August. That's less than 2 months. Hurricane season is from June to November and they have a nice graph there that shows what I am talking about.

As for last year, had we been having Hukilau one week earlier or one week later, we would have been fine.

Plus, more than 50% of the attendees of Hukilau are Floridians. You don't have to tell them what to do or expect.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2005-05-17 11:36 ]

S

I like this quote on the NOAA website:

"Keep in mind that a direct hit by a major hurricane is an extremely rare event and if I had a chance - for example - to go on a cruise in the Caribbean Sea during hurricane season, I would go without hesitation."

I don't believe that we stated that the hurricane season ends in October. I never denied that. Anyone can find that information. We just simply had Hukilau in October this year so that we could avoid some of the warmer weather and fair better with the season.

Tiki Kiliki wrote:

I don't believe that we stated that the hurricane season ends in October.

Ummm, not to be nit picky but I'll quote tikibars

The weekend was chosen VERY carefully to be after hurricane season
So what was the implication?

Swanky wrote:

"Keep in mind that a direct hit by a major hurricane is an extremely rare event and if I had a chance - for example - to go on a cruise in the Caribbean Sea during hurricane season, I would go without hesitation."

I'd hate to think this person your quoting is someone of such importance that they might be in charge of others lives in a life or death situation during a natural disaster. What a dolt that guy must be!

I'd like to hear from people who live on gulf coast who don't have a vested interest in the success of the event.
Just the normal Joe Blow (snicker) who has seen hurricanes come and go and the effects they have on the towns they hit.
I too hope to attend this years Hukilau and am very, very hopeful (insert mantra here) that Hukilau will be a hurricane free zone.
As romantic as some made last year's Hukilau sound, I can't help but remember reading the posts about people who ended up on gymnasium floors sleeping on some nice cozy bubble wrap.
Sorry that just doesn't sound fun to me.
I think I understand why you hold Hukialu when you do.
But for me it would be worth every extra penny/dollar I might have to pay in order to have the event in a month that hurricanes aren't an issue at all. (insert mantra here) I don't want to rain (snicker) on anyones Hukilau, everything that the organizers have to do to get an event together is so beyond appreciated.
As sure as I am Hukilau 2005 will be a great success, and everything will go off without a hitch. I'm also just wondering if it might be worth it to consider having the event during a time that seasonal hurricanes aren't a looming threat. And again, I am very grateful to those of you who have gone to such extreme
measures to put together events like Oasis, Hukilau, Exotica and Crawl Events, I don't get to attend enough of them IMHO.
Never at anytime has this been a question of the integrity of the organizers or the event. I have no doubt that more goes into the planning and actually pulling these events off, so much more than anyone knows. We all want the same thing. I'm just voicing my thoughts and concerns.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-05-17 13:37 ]

Well, I for one have already reserved our room and booked our flights. And as soon as the rest of the info and reservations become available, I'm booking those too. There's no way to predict what's going to happen 5 months from now, and I like to know that we're set to go and enjoy. If the weather gets bad 5 months from now, we'll deal with it at that time. Looking forward to HUKILAU!!

Agreed. Dropping $1000 on airfare, lodging, event costs, dining and drinking requires careful consideration in my household budget.

The non refundable airfare is what would nail my wallet. I really want to go and would be bringing the Mrs. but when we listened to the weather reports as we took our vacation in Oregon last year, somehow I felt like I luckily made the right decision.

what to do what to do (fingers tapping)?

Im in fo' sho! Actually, the Hurricane last year made the trip a unique experience for me that I don't regret at all. Worse case, a Hurricane drops in again this year and we get the Mai Kai all to ourselves again!

I am adopting the prudent practice of waiting until about a month or so prior, assessing my vacation time, ability to ditch work for a few days, assessing the weather and the pocketbook, and if there happen to be any nearby hotel rooms and tickets and decent flights still available, the stars line up and I go. If not, I make plans to visit there on my own perhaps during the peak season, when I can enjoy the sunshine and work on a tan.

But then again, I'm not as wild and crazy about these things as some; so my world will not come to an end if I miss it this year.

S

Well, this is all blown out of proportion. (No pun intended) Those in Florida can answer, but I was around plenty of them who have been there for decades and last year's weather was less than once in a lifetime.

As an example. I have been to Cancun many times during hurricane season. I've had my arrival come a week after a storm blew through and noone could tell. It's never been an issue. If it is an issue, you can usually add trip insurance for about $30. Hotel rooms can be cancelled with 72 hours notice and no fee. It's only your flight that matters. In a weekend in Florida, a hurricane will not arise and strike. It's not a tornado. It takes days and days for one to start and get to shore.

So, if you want, insure your flight. If you use a credit card, it might already be included. When the time comes, look at the news. If there is a hurricane in the ocean heading for land or even threatening, consider your plans. If there is no tropical storm out there, you have nothing to worry about.

Planning an event to try to take into considerations something like last years hurricanes is impossible. That's like trying to plan Hukilau on a weekend it doesn't rain and the temperature is in the 80's. Not possible. The boat show is the weekend before Hukilau. Hundreds of millions of dollars worth of yatchs will be sailing in there for the weekend. They aren't cancelling or moving that event.

I was never trying to poo poo the event and I can barely imagine the factors that you all are trying to keep on your radar so that this event is affordable and enjoyable for everyone.

Thanks for all of your hard work this year and in years past.

T

"H" season or not, I'm just glad that there's no Las Vegas Rockaround at the same time as Hukilau this year (as happened the last 2 years) or I might have missed Hukilau yet again.

At least you guys down there have a season for hurricanes. Here in California earthquakes can happen anytime. Without warning!

M

On 2005-05-17 12:38, Monkeyman wrote:
Agreed. Dropping $1000 on airfare, lodging, event costs, dining and drinking requires careful consideration in my household budget.

The non refundable airfare is what would nail my wallet. I really want to go and would be bringing the Mrs. but when we listened to the weather reports as we took our vacation in Oregon last year, somehow I felt like I luckily made the right decision.

what to do what to do (fingers tapping)?

This is why I prefer traveling Southwest Airlines whenever possible, all of their fares are either 100% refundable or you get a 100% credit depending on circumstances. N0 $100 dollar fee to cancel/change a flight like, say, America West charges on their "non-refundable" fares. (Most of America West fares seem to be "non-refundable" so ya hafta pay that fee.)
I pose this question-any other airlines with generous cancellation policies out there like Southwest?

P

It made a great song, at least.

I wouldn't have left if I hadn't brought 2 people with me who really had to get back - plus we knew it was heading for Tampa when we saw it coming in as we bolted.
I was glad I got back just in time to board up a few windows that surely would have been shattered.

The Amber Love Goddess assured me that she was going this year to keep an eye on me and should there be any storms - we can ride them out together with the ohana.

If Coombs doesn't show this year, I'll whip his tiny vodka-slurpin' ass. :wink:

I'll be bringing the head of Flounder strapped to my kinikini.

There will be no
hurricanes because Unga Bunga is going, period.

It seems to me that some of you are under the mistaken impression a hurricane actually hit Ft. Lauderdale during the Hukilau last year.

Yes, many of the Floridian and non- Floridian Hukilau participants were freaking out about the weather last year, but the storm actually came ashore much further north in Central Florida and most of the damage was in places like Stuart, New Symrna Beach, Cocoa Beach and Daytona Beach. The Hawaiian Inn actually sustained serious damage for example.

All that actually happened in Ft. Lauderdale was the threat of a hurricane forced a beach evacuation and a curfew. That was the reason attendance fell off on Saturday night. I really don't think anyone at the Hukilau was ever in danger of losing their property or their lives; except maybe Pablus who spent too much time in the sun trying to fix his truck on Friday.

Anyway, if Marian and I had stayed home because of the storm threat, we would have endured our fourth huricanne of the year in Orlando and missed the first two nights of Hukilau. Instead, we had a great couple of days and then went south to hang with good friends in Miami while the storm passed by.

With all this in mind, I think Ft. Lauderdale is a pretty safe bet - at least safer than Orlando - so count us in for 2005.

K

Like Swanky, I have been going down to the Virgin Islands during hurricane season for a number of years now and have had a number of very near misses (including last year and the year before), yet every year (knock on wood) the week I am there has been sunny, beautiful, and absolutely perfect.

You plan, you watch, you wait, and then you go. To do otherwise is like staying indoors all the time to avoid accidentally getting hit by a bus. It might happen, but why fret about it when you can neither predict nor change it?

Ahu

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu on 2005-05-17 13:46 ]

K

I'm hoping the fear of hurricanes will help drive the price of airfare down a little.

T

On 2005-05-17 12:20, DawnTiki wrote:
Ummm, not to be nit picky but I'll quote tikibars

The weekend was chosen VERY carefully to be after hurricane season

Thanks for pointing out my unclear statement.
I have editied it for more clarity to read: "...to occur AFTER the dangerous peak of hurricane season."

Oh, and really, people, there is SO little to worry about.

How many hurricanes hit Hukilau in 2003?

s'right: ZERO!

The weather was gorgeous.

Let the weather-wary among you use THAT one as an example, please!

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2005-05-17 14:45 ]

And once again, as so often happens here, thinking of people's welfare somehow turns me into a villain.

Guess I'll stick to posting pics of apple-headed chihuahuas.

M
Mambo posted on Tue, May 17, 2005 6:02 PM

I wouldnt worry to much.
Hurricane season starts on June 1 and ends
November 30.
The peak is in September.

I

I can vouch for Swanky's advice, about buying flight insurance when you buy your airline ticket.

I did this for the Hukilau weekend last year - it cost perhaps $10-15 extra, and it paid off when my return flight was delayed by one day. All it took was to check one extra box when I made my reservations through Orbitz. This was the first time I ever purchased the extra insurance.

The insurance reimbursed me for the night of lodging away from the Bahia Mar (when we were evacuated), the extra night at the Bahia Mar one day later (I returned after the storm passed), the rental car we got for 2 days, and they even reimbursed for my extra meal and drinks at the Mai Kai too.

It was a bit bizarre then, that while chewing on a ice cube in my drink on my flight home, my crown broke, and I ended up spending all of that insurance money and a bit more on dentist bills.

You never can tell - all the news and media hype and I survived the hurricane OK, only to be felled by a little old ice cube.

My tooth probably would have broken anyway - but my memories of that weekend are not of my broken tooth, but my memories of the Mai Kai and Hukilau. And that is the way it should be.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev on 2005-05-17 18:56 ]

Hey PJ,

You New Orleanians certainly have good reason to respects H's and H season - yikes! I think everyone wants to have their cake and eat it too (go to Hukilau AND avoid all H's) and the odds are very very high that we all will. And fact is, we did avoid a H last time - we just didn't avoid the evacuation precautions! No fault at all for the city taking the threat seriously, though. My Hukilau buddies and I had a GREAT time because we didn't evacuate north (where it actually hit). The all-to-ourselves Mai Kai was a once in a lifetime night. As was the "hurricane party" at the owner's home. With barrels of zombies. And Elvis in Hawaii on the bigscreen. Man what a weekend!

And for those of you who only heard stories last year and fear the worst - let me tell you I would VERY happily go back this year even if it were a repeat - that we knew there'd be an evacuation that made us leave our rooms Saturday AM again! A weird Saturday day driving around looking for a hotel room was the only (semi)bad part of the trip for me (and it wasn't bad - just a bummer that i didn't get to hang by the pool for a few hours). My Thursday night, Friday day and night and Saturday night were aMAZing! And I didn't even get to do the supercool Thursday boatride.

So fear not - continue to plan to come, buy insurance if you feel led (good advice, Vern!), watch the weather if you live on the coast (which I do), and have a Hukilau to remember!

And PJ, PLEASE continue to post fotos of apple-headed and frower(sic)-headed chihuahuas. They both fascinate me and make me sick - when I'm not crying laughing...with glee....and disgust.
shudder

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2005-05-17 18:59 ]

Did someone say Hurricane? Cool!

Ken & Heather. Youz in?

Groundhog Day??

Score!!

M

And now for Mo's tips on how to prepare yourself for " Survivor Hukilau 2005 "

First lets recap my Hukilau 2004 experience:

I was a vendor and had shipped my Tiki Soap to another TC'er who lived in the area. The day before my flight the storm was still unpredicted as to where it would make landfall. My flights were not refundable and I was already out $75.00 to ship my soap and it would cost me another $75.00 plus the inconvience to another TC ohana to send it back. My wife said don't go, so naturally I went anyway.

I set up friday and sales were brisk and to me it was a dream come true. To be at Hukilau and meeting many of the TC ohana who I had only known as letters on a computer screen was really great. I and many other vendors go to Hukilau to share a piece of what they create with others. I doubt that any vendor made more then his cost to be there and that is not why most vendors come. So if you read this stop by and say hello, or Mo I think you need you head examined. Now on with the story.

The night progressed and the show started. The wine started to flow and when the giant Tiki with the glowing eyes came in, I thought I died and was in Tiki Heaven. At this point it was pretty certain that the storm was going to hit near us and that the Bahia Mar and Cabana were going to be forced to evacuate at 5am on Saturday. I really wanted to see the Mai Kai but it looked like that was not going to happen. In light of this pending doom what else could I do except enjoy myself tonight. I slid into a wine induced semi-coma and packed up my soap to ship back home.

I set the alarm for 5am ( big mistake! ) My wife called in a panic and off to the airport I went. I had alredy changed my flight out to saturday at noon. I got to the airport feeling like that giant Tiki fell on me at one point. I wathed the TV monitors as my flight was cancelled and they began to cover the counters with plastic. I found a good spot near the phones to sleep it off and weather the storm when I found out the airport was being evacuated and I was going to be boarding a bus for a shelter.

I was the first one on the bus and a News reporter asked me what my story was. He said stay right here I'll be back with a cameraman. I thought yeah right! But he did come back and I told him my Hukilau and Tiki soap story and I was wearing a Moai pendant that I traded soap for from Mcdougall. I showed the camera the Moai and said my soap was this shaped. I couldn't think fast enough but I should have told him it looks like I'm all washed up in this town! I doubted they would even put it on TV, so off to the shelter I went.

The bus arrived at a school and I had a carry on bag full of Tiki soap and I thought about setting up because some people really needed some Tiki soap, but I felt it would be in bad taste. The shelter had TV's that were on channel 7 tracking the storm. Litttle did I know that on channel 6 they were playing my interview every half an hour.( I called Mcdougall after the interview to let him know that his Moai might be on the news and he told me it was on alot.)

At the shelter I met up wirh TikiLee and his now fiancee. They were kind enough to offer me a blanket and I shared my bubble wrap with them as we had to sleep on a marble hallway floor. I had a blast getting to know them and we talked comedy movies we loved and I did my impression of Carl from Caddyshack and I even had to laugh myself. I read one of Tikilee's short Tiki stories and it was great and he shared some ideas on a story he was working on.

The next day the bus brought us back to the Airport and it was a erie sight, not one plane was visible. Eventually I booked a flight out on a different airline to Philadelphia, Pa and rented a car and drove to Allentown where my truck was. The airline I had my original return home flight on went out of business and I never got a refund. Because I booked my return home flight last minute I was flagged as a high risk passenger and was wanded and my carry on bags dumped out and searched. Prior to getting through security I noticed people lookig at me and I thought it was my imagination. I had breakfast at Chili's at the airport and I noticed people looking at me. As I was being searched a security guard told me, I know you - your the Tiki soap guy, you were on TV every half hour last night. Now I knew why people were lookig, I had the same shirt on and my Moai pendant. I could'nt help but laugh and call my wife as I boarded the plane and tell her what happened.

Would I do it again? Hell yeah! See you at Hukilau 2005.

My tips:

#1-Always have some alcoholic beverages in your carry on bag in case you are stranded.

#2-If stranded always seek out Hukilau ohana.

#3-If you are interviewed by a repoter always ask what channel and set that station on you shelter TV's.

#4-If al else fails do your impression of Carl from Caddyshack.- Goonga Goonga Ganooga!

#5- Don't roll on your side when sleeping on bubblewrap. It sounds like a drive by shooting.

S

If nothing else, we're all veterans of this now. One of my biggest problems with last year was that the hotel was not very organized about handling the people. If people had gotten the right info, a lot of trouble would have been saved.

I was watching my 2003 Hukilau video last night. I would like to share it, but it's 80megs and my host would kill me. I think Google has a movie share thing. I'll try to find a way to share it.

I love that story! I wish I had seen the interview.

Like everyone knows that was there last year, we didn't know what was going to happen. The H did bring some of us closer than before and I'm sure it frightened a good many as well. That huge Tiki being shoved through those hotel ballroom doors told me we were going to have Hukilau no matter what happened.

Gary, you said it beautifully - you chose to enjoy yourself and accept what happened. That's all any of us could do.

Looking forward to seeing you this year!

What a great story Motiki! So, you were the soap guy!?! I loved your stuff! You must have 'really cleaned up!'at the event!-smiley

Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2005-05-18 10:59 ]

T

NINA LEE motel closing!

Last week I booked my room at a 1950s motel close to the Bahia Mar and Cabana. Last night they called me to tell me that the motel has been sold and is closing for good! I hear some Hukilau folks stayed there last year.

You're right! Just found out. I've got to go round there later and take some pics for a magazine article I'm writing so snap a few there as well. Sad, they just closed the Rutledge Inn at Singer Island a couple of weeks ago - open since 1964.

On 2005-05-18 05:58, Swanky wrote:
If nothing else, we're all veterans of this now. One of my biggest problems with last year was that the hotel was not very organized about handling the people. If people had gotten the right info, a lot of trouble would have been saved.

Yeah, as a Florida native, Hurricane season is nothing new - last year was very unnusual. Having one (or 4 hit) is usually a lottery type situation - can't predict when or where.

And I just couldn't believe how unnprofessional that hotel was to those who had reservations. But at the very least the Mai kai was very upstanding in helping you guys out.

Hey folks, I just tried to book the Bahia Mar and it appears all their Hukilau rooms are already sold out. I reserved anyway but of course their "normal" rooms are fiendishly expensive. So if I find anything better--haven't checked the Cabana yet--I'll cancel the Mar.

Question: will any more Hukilau rooms be reserved at the Mar? Or is that it? I seem to recall last year hearing about extra blocks of rooms being added, so I thought I'd ask...

Lovely Hukilau website, by the way! Looks great, sounds great, works great...VERY impressive!

can't wait,

Lisa aka tikivixen

TikiVixen - Did you go through the 1-800 number? The rooms are not yet sold out. Don't I wish! hee hee

Check your Private Messages and give me a ring so I can get more details from you.

It seems as though some of the nights earlier than Oct. 6 and after Oct. 8 are sold out. I will speak to the hotel tomorrow as I've just been on the phone with reservations. The main nights of the event are still available. I will try calling to extend our block tomorrow so that those of you coming early can still grab that $139 rate.

The Hukilau rates are as follows:
$139 a night for Courtyard & Marina view
$149 a night for Ocean View
$169 a night for Ocean Front

Every view is amazing in this hotel so if you have Courtyard, Marina or Ocean View you'll be happy!

I'll find out the skinny tomorrow and let eveyrone know what's going on with the $139 rate.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2005-05-30 17:49 ]

Last year there was a page to pay for a vendor table via Paypal. Is there such a page this year?
If so I can't find it... searched everywhere on the Huki site...

I would like to purchase a spot for this year... how have vendors been paying for their spots so far?

It is a long journey for me and would like to get the rest of the details worked out.

Mahalo!

Holden is our vendor coordinator this year and he has been busy placing together all details to send out a mass email. I believe you have been added to the list but if you'd like to email him: [email protected]

T

Southwest Airlines (thejab and mrsmiley's airline of choice) released discounted fares to Fort Lauderdale from all their cities today. Must purchase by Thursday, June 9th. Book it now!

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
$104 one-way, to/from Albany, NY
$124 one-way, to/from Albuquerque, NM
$104 one-way, to/from Austin, TX
$79 one-way, to/from Baltimore, MD (BWI)
$94 one-way, to/from Birmingham, AL
$104 one-way, to/from Buffalo, NY
$79 one-way, to/from Chicago Midway, IL
$104 one-way, to/from Cleveland, OH
$94 one-way, to/from Columbus, OH
$104 one-way, to/from Detroit, MI
$124 one-way, to/from El Paso, TX
$79 one-way, to/from Hartford, CT (BDL)
$94 one-way, to/from Houston Hobby, TX
$104 one-way, to/from Indianapolis, IN
$94 one-way, to/from Jackson, MS
$34 one-way, to/from Jacksonville, FL
$104 one-way, to/from Kansas City, MO
$99 one-way, to/from Las Vegas, NV
$79 one-way, to/from Long Island/Islip, NY
$134 one-way, to/from Los Angeles, CA
$94 one-way, to/from Louisville, KY
$79 one-way, to/from Manchester, NH
$94 one-way, to/from Nashville, TN
$94 one-way, to/from New Orleans, LA
$88 one-way, to/from Norfolk, VA
$134 one-way, to/from Oakland, CA
$104 one-way, to/from Oklahoma City, OK
$114 one-way, to/from Omaha, NE
$134 one-way, to/from Ontario, CA
$34 one-way, to/from Orlando, FL
$79 one-way, to/from Philadelphia, PA
$124 one-way, to/from Phoenix, AZ
$79 one-way, to/from Pittsburgh, PA
$134 one-way, to/from Portland, OR
$79 one-way, to/from Providence, RI
$88 one-way, to/from Raleigh-Durham, NC
$134 one-way, to/from Reno/Tahoe, NV
$134 one-way, to/from Sacramento, CA
$134 one-way, to/from Salt Lake City, UT
$104 one-way, to/from San Antonio, TX
$134 one-way, to/from San Diego, CA
$134 one-way, to/from San Jose, CA
$134 one-way, to/from Seattle/Tacoma, WA
$79 one-way, to/from St. Louis, MO
$34 one-way, to/from Tampa Bay, FL
$104 one-way, to/from Tulsa, OK

UB

Thanks Jab,
I'm all over it out of San Jose.
There was a discussion about going down to the Keys afterwards. Has anything else developed with this plan?
If so, I would like to add my name to the list. I am looking for a returning airline date if that's the case.
Never been to Florida before.
HUKILAU!

T
thejab posted on Tue, Jun 7, 2005 1:41 PM

On 2005-06-07 13:27, Unga Bunga wrote:
There was a discussion about going down to the Keys afterwards. Has anything else developed with this plan?
If so, I would like to add my name to the list. I am looking for a returning airline date if that's the case.
HUKILAU!

I may have mentioned that but I have since considered visiting Cuba instead because I have been to the Keys twice.

You should experience the Keys if you have some time after or before Hukilau. It takes only 4 hours or so to drive non-stop from Miami to Key West but I'm sure you'll want to make some stops so allow at least 2 days to drive the length and back. I recommend a brief visit to Key West as it's a historic town but I don't really care for the atmosphere (too many frat boy partier types).

If the weather is nice the Keys are a nice place for a longer stay. I have done research on many small motels and lodges in more remote parts of the Keys if you need more info.

[ Edited by: thejab on 2005-06-07 13:47 ]

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Jun 7, 2005 1:58 PM

jab, All one way flights...

T
thejab posted on Tue, Jun 7, 2005 2:03 PM

On 2005-06-07 13:58, Swanky wrote:
jab, All one way flights...

Those are one-way fares, but round trip is allowed - it is just twice the quoted fare. That's one thing I like about Southwest: you can get good deals on one-way fares if you want to arrive and depart from different cities and do a road trip in between.

T
thejab posted on Tue, Jun 7, 2005 2:07 PM

I'm all over it out of San Jose.

Consider Oakland Unga. All the flights from San Jose to Fort Lauderdale make 2 stops, and at one stop you have to change planes. There are some flights from Oakland that only make one brief stop and you don't have to change planes.

On 2005-06-07 13:41, thejab wrote:

HUKILAU!

I may have mentioned that but I have since considered visiting Cuba instead

Screw the keys!
Let's do a Tiki Central Cuba Crawl!
I'm in!

I have done research on many small motels and lodges in more remote parts of the Keys if you need more info.

Jabbo,
I'm interested in checking out the Keys before/after Hukilau since I've never been to the Keys. Can you post the lodging info you have?

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2005 6:44 AM

On 2005-06-08 00:06, Unga Bunga wrote:

HUKILAU!

I may have mentioned that but I have since considered visiting Cuba instead

Screw the keys!
Let's do a Tiki Central Cuba Crawl!
I'm in!

Taxi! Where's my blue taxi? :wink:

T

Pop - Here's the Keys lodging info I found. I was looking for a non chain smaller place vs. a large resort, and in a less-developed area right on the water, preferably on a beach, that was around $100 or less a night. These were my top picks based on looking at their web site and reading reviews in guidebooks and tripadvisor and other web sites.

Valhalla Point
http://www.keysresort.com/

Bonefish Resort
http://www.bonefishresort.com/index.htm

Lime Tree Bay Resort
http://www.limetreebayresort.com

Ragged Edge Resort
http://www.ragged-edge.com/index.html

Parmer's Resort (docks, no beach)
http://www.parmersplace.com/

Generally, the closer you get to Key West the more expensive lodging is. Key Largo has some cheap motels but it's pretty developed. Once you pass Islamorada you start to get into the most beautiful part of the Keys.

M

Jab, are you going to Cuba in this?!?!?

![](http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Video/050608/tdy_sanders_cubans_050608.300w.jpg[/img}
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050608/us_nm/cuba_boat_dc

Mr. Smiley is the most thirstiesterest of
all!
Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.
[img]http://i4.peapod.com/c/FR/FRYCP.jpg)

[ Edited by: MRSMILEY 2006-05-09 17:18 ]

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-05-09 17:18 ]

T
thejab posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2005 5:04 PM

On 2005-06-08 15:59, mrsmiley wrote:
Jab, are you going to Cuba in this?!?!?

Ha! That's the stylish way to go! :lol:

Holy #@$#$%#$

I haven't had the time for my tiki passion lately since I bought this hell hole of a house. I also didn't plan to go to Hukilau since I have been sinking all my money into the house. Then in the last couple days I really starting feeling the Tiki Vibe and went on the Hukilau website. Thats were the Holy %^@$@# comes in. I thought it was a joke at first that Drasnin and Sumac were going to attend! There is no way I could miss that!!! I also need to go to see all the great people that I have met online and at the last couple Hukilau's. A couple days ago I wasn't even thinking about going and now I'm counting the days. Of course I have to sale one of my wahines kidneys. Any takers?

Thanks to all who are envolved with the planning of Hukilau.

I love you all.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies