Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2005 - Details Announced!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies

YMA SUMAC?!? That's just amazing.

Believe it or not, I was hoping you might mean her. Couldn't think of any other old-school Tiki artists who'd get you guys that excited.

Even won a five dollar bet with my cat. Dumb cat has to get a job with Purina to pay me off.

I am so happy, whether she performs or not...I'll be there if I hafta crawl.

M

This will, for me, be the best Hukilau yet, as it will be my first.

What is the typical inauguration for the virgin Hukilau'er?

To survive a night of drinking with Pablus. Yes, this might have just started last year but it's now a tradition. Good luck my dear - you're gonna need it.

What's the date?

Nevermind, saw the events calendar. We'll be there! This will be my first tiki event (not too much available in NY.

You'll have a great time. After all - Hukilau get's Mr. Smiley's vote as his favorite Tiki event - how can you go wrong?

The Hukilau website is set to go live on April 22nd. Sorry for the delay everyone - we wanted to be ready for you.

For those of you coming to Tiki Torch Nights at the Mai Kai, I'll have postcards for you!

WOWZERZ! What a great lineup! Miss Tiki Kiliki, you have outdone yourself yet again! :D

smoooch!
Lenore :wink:

On 2005-04-13 10:50, tiki_kiliki wrote:
You'll have a great time. After all - Hukilau get's Mr. Smiley's vote as his favorite Tiki event - how can you go wrong?

I give it an "Eternal Zazz" rating! 10 Mai-Tai's UP!

Tiki Kiliki is a one woman Typhoon. Comes in hard and fast, then destroys everything around, and leaves without so much as a thank you.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:11 ]

S

On 2005-04-13 13:06, Chip and Andy wrote:
Tiki Kiliki is a one woman Tiki Typhoon. This year will knock our socks off! I'm already standing in line for my tickets.

Just make sure you are not in the wrong line like those Star Wars people...

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2005-04-13 14:10 ]

M

On 2005-04-13 13:06, Chip and Andy wrote:
Tiki Kiliki is a one woman Tiki Typhoon. This year will knock our socks off! I'm already standing in line for my tickets.

TYPHOON?!?!? We don't need one of THOSE this year!! :)

J

Hello all,

Pardon me for sounding like a complete greenhorn, but I'm very new to the world of tiki. I'm considering attending Hukilau this year as it isn't too far away (I live in Orlando), but 1st I'd like to know more about the event itself.

So, for those of you who've been to Hukilau in the past, could you please give me a basis rundown of the various events, shows, & so on that take place? Also, any recommendations for where to stay? Thank you very much.

Here I've been back and forth from Rochester to Boca, what seems like 100 times these last 2 years and didn't think to check to see if Hukilau was on. Now I can plan a trip to take it all in! Tiki_kiliki, that is a great rendering of the Mai Kai. Love that place at night!

S

On 2005-04-24 17:27, Jon-Tiki wrote:
Hello all,

Pardon me for sounding like a complete greenhorn, but I'm very new to the world of tiki. I'm considering attending Hukilau this year as it isn't too far away (I live in Orlando), but 1st I'd like to know more about the event itself.

So, for those of you who've been to Hukilau in the past, could you please give me a basis rundown of the various events, shows, & so on that take place? Also, any recommendations for where to stay? Thank you very much.

The 2005 web site will be up soon with all the details.

Thanks Swanky for letting everyone know that the site will be up soon.

I so apologize for the delay but so many last minute additions have occurred that we've postponed things for just a few days.

The event will still take place Oct. 6,7,8 and I'm so excited to announce that we've added on Oct. 9th since the 10th is a national holiday!! So get your wardrobe ready - it's gonna be a blast!!

M

On 2005-04-24 17:27, Jon-Tiki wrote:
Hello all,

Basically, it is a must go to event!!! get those days off now and the details when they are available will justify your decision to go!!!
Again, the Hukilau rates an eternal "ZAZZ"!

Listen to Mr. Smiley - he knows!

C

Aloha All!

Regretfuly, due recent changes, I'm afraid the Caliente tropics Resort will no longer be a sponsor of The HUKILAU. Whatever assistance and support you can give to Tiki Kiliki will be greatly appreciated. My personal wish is (for me) to attend and lend a hand the best I can. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR EFFORT AND DEDICATION TIKI KILIKI!

Thank you Casey, you have been the largest supporter of Hukilau and I will miss you. I also hope that you will attend Hukilau this year, it would mean alot to me. Your advice and assistance over the last 2 years has been so valuable and I think Swanky will agree that it wouldn't have been the same without you.

Mucho Mahalos!!

S
Swanky posted on Fri, May 6, 2005 6:35 AM

Absolutely. Casey, you worked too much at Hukilau. You were an incredible relief to us. And Caliente Tropics sent more traffic the the Hukilau site than anyone else. The Resort, under your management did more for us than anyone. You have been such a valuable friend. And everyone loves to see you when they can talk and just relax with you. I know Kiliki has already been grateful for your help this year, and will want you there regardless.

T

Christie is swamped with work right now getting 1000 details for Hukilau together - and it is still five months away! - so I thought I would step in and give you all an update on some of the musical stuff.

The web site will be live any day now, if not later today.

We have a great line up of talent ready to perform for you all, but the two acts I have been getting the most email about are Robert Drasnin and Yma Sumac, both of whom seem to be considered rumors for a lot of people.

I am so pleased to tell you that their appearances are NOT rumors!

I was on the phone with Robert Drasnin earlier today, and he and I are working on the details about the lineup for his "Exoitca Orchestra"!

At this point, it looks like there will be ten people on stage with him, including one TC memeber (don't ask, it's a surprise, and it isn't me, Christie, Tim, Sven, or Casey!), all of the members of WaiTiki, and the percussionist from a legendary LA punk band (who's name will be revealed after his participation is locked in more securely, which will depend on his upcoming touring schedule).

Drasnin will be premiering new material from his upcoming Voodoo II CD, which as far as I know is the first new exotica material to be released by a classic-era exotica artist since the 1970s.

We also got a verbal confirmation from Yma Sumac's manager that she will be performing two songs. We originally planned for her to just give a Q and A on stage, but the current plan is for her to perform (subject to change!).

Burlesque performer Bella Beretta has been added to the show as well.

We are working to get the final pieces of the puzzle for the Drasnin/Sumac orchestra together; if there are any cello, harp (real stringed harp, not harmonica), boobam, or keyboard players out there who want to do the gig, can sight read music, can learn the material ahead of time from a chart, can get to the gig on Friday (October 7) and a rehersal on Thursday (October 6) with your own professional quality equipment, and who swear to behave in a professional manner and not like a rabid nervous fanboy, please do email me.

M

On 2005-04-02 11:41, Swanky wrote:
Yep, http://forums.thehukilau.com/

I can't sign in the forum, it says "Sorry, but your password cannot be retrieved because your account is currently inactive. Please contact the forum administrator for more information." Can you reactivate me please.

I'll be staying with my wahine and her parents, travelling down to attend Hukilau. Will we be able to get tickets to attend even though we're not staying at the hotels?

T

The web site looks great, the entertainment lineup sounds stellar, I haven't been to the Mai Kai or Florida since January '02, and I hear that it's a blast. So I'm going to my first Hukilau. I can't wait!

But I'm not just going straight there. No way.

My plan is to fly into Nashville on Saturday, Oct. 1st., visit the Omni Hut in Smyrna (Sat. night), drive to Atlanta and visit Trader Vic's (Mon. night), drive to Augusta and visit the Hale Tiki (Tues. night), drive to Daytona and visit Julian's and see the show at the Hawaiian Inn (Wed. night), and drive to Ft. Lauderdale by Thursday night.

Then if I can afford it I'm going to the Keys after Hukilau because I'll need some rest! If time permits I may cruise up the Gulf coast of Florida as well.

It's official, I just reserved my room. Now I just have to bumble around like a newbie and figure out what to do next.

Jab - I think you should rethink your path. Tiki Torch Nights hosts the 2nd annual pre-party to Hukilau 2005 on October 1st!! Don't miss the Omni Hut though - give me fair warning when you'll be there and I'll try to make the trip there - have you visited there before?

On 2005-05-11 17:46, thejab wrote:
My plan is to fly into Nashville on Saturday, Oct. 1st., visit the Omni Hut in Smyrna (Sat. night), drive to Atlanta and visit Trader Vic's (Mon. night), drive to Augusta and visit the Hale Tiki (Tues. night), drive to Daytona and visit Julian's and see the show at the Hawaiian Inn (Wed. night), and drive to Ft. Lauderdale by Thursday night.
Then if I can afford it I'm going to the Keys after Hukilau because I'll need some rest! If time permits I may cruise up the Gulf coast of Florida as well.

This is just about the best itinerary for a Tiki road trip I have read in a long, long time! I may go down to the keys afterwards as well... and this time it won't just be to wait out a hurricane!

T

On 2005-05-11 19:45, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Jab - I think you should rethink your path. Tiki Torch Nights hosts the 2nd annual pre-party to Hukilau 2005 on October 1st!! Don't miss the Omni Hut though - give me fair warning when you'll be there and I'll try to make the trip there - have you visited there before?

Thank you! I looked on your web site to see if there was a schedule for Tiki Torch Nights that far in advance but there wasn't. Would I be correct in assuming that's happening in Atlanta?

Since I'll be flying on a free Southwest ticket I can't fly into Atlanta (they don't fly there). The closest airport is Birmingham, AL. I could do that and drive 3 hours to Atlanta on Saturday. But, I would have to skip the Omni Hut because they're closed Sundays and Mondays. And if I waited around until Tuesday to go there I wouldn't have enough time to do the rest of my itinerary.

I may have to fly into Nashville on Friday, Sep. 30th instead of Saturday, so I could do it all.

T

Once I saw that Yma Sumac is going to be there, I booked our flights! My mother-in-law (who is from Chile) LOVES Yma, so when I bring back an autograph picture, she's gonna die. She actually saw Yma in NYC back in the 60s, so I'll have to get pics of the show to let her wander down memory lane.

Plus, Robert Drasnin is also going to be great! What a line-up! Thanks Tiki Kiliki!

A

Al and Shelley just made reservations at the Cabana for 10/6-10/11.

Pray for no Hurricanes!

Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

D

"No hurricane during Hukilau" should be everyones mantra for the next 5 months. I know its going to be mine.

I try not to even say the H-word anymore!

Just booked my reservations at the Bahia Cabana. Can't Wait!!!

The tickets will go on sale next week guys - thanks for your patience!!

BOOKED!
My first Hukilau as well.

B

I'm in, Biff , Mike & the Coconut Twins will be there too!!
Can't wait to meet Yma also!!

[ Edited by: biffachu on 2005-05-13 15:39 ]

T

I made my hotel reservations a few days ago. After being in a funk that Oasis is over - making the reservations for Hukilau lightened my spirits.

Can't wait to see everybody (again!),

TB

On 2005-05-13 13:23, DawnTiki wrote:
"No hurricane during Hukilau" should be everyones mantra for the next 5 months.

Damnit!!!

looks like its "book hotel and event tickets now".

Book flight, much much much closer to the actual event date

D

NohurricaneduringHukilauNohurricaneduring HukilauNohurricaneduringHukilauNohurricane duringHukilauNohurricaneduringHukilauNo hurricaneduringHukilauNohurricaneduring HukilauNohurricaneduringHukilauNohurricane duringHukilauNohurricaneduringHukilauNo hurricaneduringHukilauNohurricaneduring Hukilauuuuuuuuuu...

T

This year's Hukilau was specifically scheduled to occur AFTER the dangerous peak of hurricane season.

The weekend of October 6 - 9 is as late in the year as we could make it without running into the inflated prices and sold-out hotels that Florida's winter tourist season will bring.

The weekend was chosen VERY carefully to be after the dangerous peak of hurricane season, but before the expensive peak of high tourist season.

Continue with your mantras if you must, but even if Florida is cursed with several hurricanes this year (and I do hope not, for the sake of the poor Floridians), Christie and the rest of us are confident that Hukilau will occur well after the the last hurricane has blown itself, and they are therefore welcome to do so.

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2005-05-17 14:44 ]

That's right James! I actually have a friend that works in the H_______ Alert Center (I'm not kidding) here in Ft. Lauderdale and he seems to think that we'll be just fine. There busy trackin' everything right now.

Like I said, I don't even say the H word anymore!

Hurricane season goes to November. And according to NOAA/NWS/ Tropical Prediction Center, most major October hurricanes hit Florida.

Where are you getting your info?

I hope Hukilau happens as much as anyone, but the hurricane situation is extremely serious, and should not be treated lightly.

PJ - I don't take it lightly at all - trust me. Nothing like last year has happened since 1886. That's a fact. Whenever you live on the coast it's just a fact of life. The likelihood of that happening again - as far as 4 in a row - is 0. I've been doing plenty of homework on the subject.

Honestly, we can live under a blanket and choose not to celebrate or plan events and such during this time or we can focus on being at Hukilau and sharing a wonderful time with everyone.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2005-05-17 10:42 ]

tikibars wrote

Continue with your mantras if you must

I must...

I'll be there hell or high water! :)

Sorry but telling people hurricane season is over by the first week of October is an untruth.

I've lived with the threat of hurricanes my entire life, and all the sensationalism from the media ghouls about "Will this year be THE BIG ONE?". But I also know, from a cousin in the Army Corps of Engineers, that the threat IS real. I don't disappear into a storm shelter from June-Nov, life does go on. But last year, no one thought what happened would, and it did. You can't predict hurricanes with 100% accuracy one way or the other, and I am just urging people to be intelligent, maintain proper vigilance day by day in monitoring the situation. Do your own research, instead of relying on someone telling you "it probably won't happen again". Make plans, but keep yourself informed enough to know when it would be smarter to cancel.

This is not to say I don't wish the best for Hukilau, I have plans to go myself. And I have a double whammy to consider...a hurricane could go to Florida while I'm there, or it could hit my house while I'm there. Or depending on the size of the storm, BOTH! I want to have a good time, too, but there are the realities of life that sometimes get in the way.

As they say in the likker ads, "Party Responsibly".

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 331 replies