Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Kohalacharms and Swanky

Pages: 1 2 3 105 replies

OK so the uber-collectors want their own place to share "confidential" info about, let's face it folks, cheap and tacky old ceramics without having to deal with poor people who would rather spend their last dollar on things like rent and food. Great. Let 'em.

Like Alnshely said, TC is about more than the material goods. It's about sharing, learning, the social aspects, the good feelings, the aloha (yeah there's that word again...)
It's sad that this is what it comes to for some people, when they want to put up barbed wire to protect something as intrinsically worthless as a tiki mug like it were the last Tic Tac on Earth after the Apocalypse. We all like this stuff, sure, but not because it's going to cure cancer or feed the hungry. Our "tikis" don't even have the true spiritual significance of their progenitors. It's for the fun of it! They're just tchochkes! No one's going to be getting an upgrade in the Afterlife for having the most bitchin' mug collection! This shouldn't pit people against each other. To me the Tiki Subculture, if I must call it that, is worth more than the sum of its material goods. But if the "high-rollers" don't want the friendship, the banter, the barbs, or any of the other elements of the full TC experience and only want to roll around in their collections like Scrooge McDuck, can't say I'll miss that kind of company much.

P.S. If this sounds hypocritical as a purveyor of "tacky tiki" merchandise, I wish I didn't have to deal with things like a mortgage and medical bills, I'd truly rather give everything I make away to people who would appreciate it. Filthy lucre, blecch.

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2005-03-06 14:57 ]

UJ

If anyone has ever thought of my message board being something secretive, then I feel impressed. Just for the record (so in the future no fingers get pointed my way... or vecinity), my board is low-brow. Just like my art. Everyone is welcome to my board and anything can be talked about there... except politics and religion. But that is my one cent.
I just re-read this: I'm not in any way trying to lure people away from this board. My board is insignificant compared to this one.

My other cent, is about what has been going on. Oh hell I don't care.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2005-03-06 14:51 ]

K
Kono posted on Sun, Mar 6, 2005 3:31 PM

This made me think of an old thread that was very clever. It had a type of score card regarding if you are "too tiki." It was a long list of things and you went down the list and tallied how many of them applied to you. I tried to find it in Search but no luck. I want to see how I've progressed/regressed over the past year. Anybody have a link?

D

TIKI QUIZ!

Get out a pencil and paper and keep a tally of how many times you answer NO. Add up how many times you answer NO and see how you rate!

1. Bought a Tiki item at a thrift store?
  2. Bought a Tiki item at a swap meet/flea market?
  3. Bought a Tiki item on e-bay?
  4. Bought a Tiki item on e-bay using “Buy-it-Now?”
  5. Traded Tiki items?
  6. Have a Vintage Tiki Mug?
  7. Have a Tiki Mug by Orchids of Hawaii?
  8. Have a Tiki Mug made by Otagiri?
  9. Have a Tiki Mug made by Westwood?
  10. Made a profit re-selling a Tiki item?
  11. Own a vintage Tiki Restaurant Post Card?
  12. Own a vintage Tiki Restaurant Matchbook?
  13. Have a Tiki Mug from Munktiki?
  14. Have an E-Bay only Munktiki Mug?
  15. Have a Mug Made by Tiki Farm?
  16. Have a Mug Made by Bosco?
  17. Have a Tiki Candle?
  18. Have a Tiki in your Yard?
  19. Created your own Tiki item?
  20. Sold a Tiki item you created?
  21. Been to the “Enchanted Tiki Room?”
  22. Own more than 5 Tiki shirts?
  23. Actually drink out of Tiki mugs when you have friends over?
  24. Have more than 10 Tiki’s in your home?
  25. Have art with a Tiki in it hanging in your home?
  26. Have a Tiki bar in your home?
  27. Have a Tiki light/lamp?
  28. Have a Tiki that is over 2 ft. tall?
  29. Have a photo of you with a Tiki?
  30. Bought a tiki from a carver?
  31. Met another TC member?
  32. Traveled more than 200 miles to attend a Tiki event?
  33. Posted your photo on TC?
  34. Have more than 200 Tiki Central Posts?
  35. Own more than 4 Tiki Books.
  36. Have a subscription to “Tiki News”?
  37. Drank a Mai Tai with another TC member?
  38. Met Otto von Stroheim?
  39. Own a Shag Print (original not necessary)?
  40. On a tiki related e-mail list?
  41. Know who Hanford Lemoore is?
  42. Own ”The Book of Tiki” hard cover?
  43. Own a “Shecky” mug?
  44. Received a Vintage Tiki item as a gift?
  45. Watched a TV show because there would be Tiki’s in it?
  46. Own a Tiki Mug designed by Shag?
  47. Own “Tiki Fonts” by House Industries?
  48. Have a “Tiki Sticker” on your Car/bike/computer/whatever?
  49. Own a Tiki Item Made by Witco?
  50. Own a Pufferfish light or Glass Ball float?
  51. Have bamboo somewhere in your home?
  52. Know the difference between Lono and Ku?
  53. Are you wearing a shirt with a Tiki on it, right now?
  54. Own a Martin Denny album?
  55. Been to a Tiki Bar in the last month?
  56. Glued together a broken Tiki item?
  57. Visited a place where Tiki items are made?
  58. Have a Tiki related License plate or License plate frame?
  59. Have more than 500 Tiki Central Posts?
  60. Have over 100 Tiki items in your collection?
  61. Participated in TC when it was still part of Yahoo?
  62. Took an Airplane flight to see Tiki’s or attend a Tiki event?
  63. Own a “Steve Crane” Tiki Mug?
  64. Been to the “Kahiki” before it closed?
  65. Met “Polynesian Pop” in person?

40 to 65 No answers- “TIKI NEWBIE”
Welcome to Tiki Central. Hang around this crowd long enough and you’ll be a “Tiki Freak” in No Time!

30-39 No answers- “Casual Tiki”
Looks as if you’ve gotten the Tiki Bug, but you haven’t let it consume your life.

16-29 No Answers- “Tiki God”
You are a True Tiki Collector and Tiki Fan.

1-15 No Answers- “Tiki Freak”
Tiki has overwhelmed your life. Time to take a break from Tiki and go on vacation. (Maybe to Rapa Nui or the Big Island of Hawaii)

Sooo, How'd you do?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6234&forum=1

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-03-06 15:41 ]

K
Kono posted on Sun, Mar 6, 2005 3:53 PM

That's it, thanks DawnTiki! 22 "No"s. Yikes, I was Tiki Casual when I took it a year and a half back. It's an insidious disease. :)

Apparently, I'm a TIKI GOD with 21 No's. That number is being reduced this year too.

My two cents on the issue: Everyone please give me two cents, as I somehow lost a bunch of money and gained a shitload of Munktiki mugs. Somewhere in Monterey, Paul and Stuckie are able to pay for food, because I'm insane.

A

29, wow didn't think I was that bad. Damn! I'm ALSO a large donater to the Munktiki retirement fund......and damn proud of it!

Aloha.
KG

On 2005-03-06 01:33, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ayayay, kids, what a mess we have here! Tiz tiz!
Let us remind ourselves always that Tiki is just a silly little game we like to play.

Sometimes it gets a little too silly!

As so often, I find myself understanding both sides. Try to not pass judgement, and let's not publish posts that will clearly have a divisive effect among the members of this otherwise harmonious circle.

A Bump for BigBro's post. I'll bump it again when this discussion goes on to another page...

I got my potato cannon to shoot 75 yards today.

J

Impressive! Is that a record? Have you ever tried shooting a rutabaga with it? Any pictures of the canon?

T

On 2005-03-06 19:07, joefla70 wrote:
Any pictures of the canon?

Sorry, but those pics are only for us here at "Elite Potato Cannon Builders" and not for everyone.

hmmm, did someone mention pie?

T

Wow - just stumbled on this thread this morning!

Not sure why folks would rather not share, or keep it to an exclusive group.....

Here's a good example of us sharing some interesting items right here on Tiki Central:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13508&forum=1&10

Why wouldn't people want to share with this group? For the most part, everyone here is pretty friendly....

M

Tiki-bot THAT WAS CLASSIC!

T

I'm going to just grind up all my Tiki mugs into dust, make into cakes, and pass 'em out at Oasis

I got this e-mail and I'm going to post it without comment so others can judge for themselves...

FROM PAUL MABUZA
JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
TEL: 27-83-4160-572

PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL

ATTN: DIRECTOR/CEO

I am PAUL MABUZA (FCAA), the chief accountant of African Development bank (ADB).
There is an account open in thisbank in 1999 and since 2001 nobody has operated
on this account again.

After going through some old files in the records, I discovered that if I do not
remit this money out urgently it would be forfeited for nothing. The owner of this
account is Mr. Smith B. Andreas, a foreigner, and a miner at Kruger Gold Company, a Geologist by profession and he died since 2000.No other person knows this account or anything concerning it, the account has no other beneficiary and my investigation proved to me as well that this company does not know anything about this account and the money involved is Thirty Six Million United States Dollars (US$ 36 Million).
I want us to first transfer US$ 16 Million from this money into your safe overseas
account before the rest.

I am only contacting you as a foreigner because this money cannot be approved to
a local bank here, but can only be approved to any foreign account because the money
is in United States Dollars and the former owner Mr. Smith B. Andreas is a foreigner
too. I know that this message will come to you as surprise as we don;t know ourselves
before. but be sure that it is real and a genuine business. I only got your contact
information from my secretary who operates computer; with believe in God that you
will never let me down in this business, considering my position as a public servant.
You are the only person that I have contacted in this business; so please reply
urgently so that I will inform you the next step to take immediately.Send also your
private telephone and fax numbers . I will fly to your country for withdrawal and
sharing and other investment.

Meanwhile, I am contacting you because of the need to involve a foreigner with
foreign account and foreign beneficiary. I need your full co-operation to make this
work fine because the management is ready to approve this payment to any foreigner
who has correct information of this account, which I will give to you as soon as
you indicate your sincerity to co-operate with me, and capability to handle such
amount in strict confidence and trust according to my instruction and advice for
our mutual benefit because this opportunity may never come again in my life.

I need a truthful and God fearing person in this business because I don;t want
to make a mistake so I need your strong assurance and trust. With my position in
the office I don;t want anything that will jeopardize my job so I advice that we
should make secrecy and confidentiality our primary working condition, bearing in
mind that I am a public servant. I will also use my position and influence to effect
legal approvals and onward transfer of this money to your account with appropriate
clearance forms of the ministries and foreign exchange department. At the conclusion of this business, you will be giving 35% of the total amount, 60% will be for me, while 5% will be for expenses both parties might have incurred the process of the transfer. I look forward to your earliest reply.

Yours sincerely,

PAUL MABUZA.

H

On 2005-03-08 09:00, Kailuageoff wrote:
I got this e-mail and I'm going to post it without comment so others can judge for themselves...

Kailuageoff, you have betrayed a trust given to you. That email clearly stated PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL and you did just the opposite. It's very disappointing. It's also very wrong.

Why wasn't I on that list??

On 2005-03-08 09:14, Hakalugi wrote:

Kailuageoff, you have betrayed a trust given to you. That email clearly stated PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL and you did just the opposite. It's very disappointing. It's also very wrong.

Indeed, Mr. Paul Mabuza clearly had YOUR best interest in mind when he sent you that private email. Don't be so selfish.

Sheesh!

-Z

Fine. I'm coming up with my own list.

Funnily enough I got this e-mail and I'm going to post it without comment so others can judge for themselves...

PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL

ATTN: DIRECTOR/CEO

Dear Mr Cheeky,

I am , the Cataloguer of a Large Tiki collection (LTC).
There are certain items in this collection in 1999 and since 2001 nobody has bothered to catalogue.

After going through some old files in the records, I discovered that if I do not
find ahome for these Tikis they will be forfeited on Ebay.
The owner of this collection is a foreigner, and a member of a certain Tiki Forum, a Geologist by profession and he left since 2000.No other person knows this collection or anything concerning it, the collection has no other beneficiary and my investigation proved to me as well that this company does not know anything about this collection and the tikis involved is Thirty Six Million United States Dollars (US$ 36 Million)worth.
I want us to first transfer US$ 16 Million worth of these Tikis into your safe overseas
collection before the rest.

I am only contacting you as a foreigner because these tikis cannot be approved to
a local collector here, but can only be approved to any foreign collector because the tikis are highly prized in United States and the former owner Mr. Smith B. Andreas is a foreigner
too. I know that this message will come to you as surprise as we don;t know ourselves
before. but be sure that it is real and a genuine business. I only got your contact
information from my secretary who operates computer; with believe in The Gods that you
will never let me down in this business, considering my position as a cataloguer.
You are the only person that I have contacted in this business; so please reply
urgently so that I will inform you the next step to take immediately.Send also your
private telephone and fax numbers . I will fly to your country for Drinks at Trader Vics and sharing and other fun.

Meanwhile, I am contacting you because of the need to involve a foreigner with
foreign colleection and foreign beneficiary. I need your full co-operation to make this
work fine because the management is ready to approve this collection to any foreigner
who has correct information of this account, which I will give to you as soon as
you indicate your sincerity to co-operate with me, and capability to handle such
amount in strict confidence and trust according to my instruction and advice for
our mutual benefit because this opportunity may never come again in my life.

I need a truthful and God fearing person in this business because I don;t want
to make a mistake so I need your strong assurance and trust. With my position in
the office I don;t want anything that will jeopardize my job so I advice that we
should make secrecy and confidentiality our primary working condition, bearing in
mind that I am a catologuer. I will also use my position and influence to effect
legal approvals and onward transfer of this collection to your collection with appropriate
clearance forms of the ministries and foreign exchange department. At the conclusion of this business, you will be giving 35% of the total amount, 60% will be for me, while 5% will be for expenses both parties might have incurred the process of the transfer. I look forward to your earliest reply.

Yours sincerely,

[ Edited by: cheekytiki on 2005-03-08 10:17 ]

On 2005-03-06 01:33, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ayayay, kids, what a mess we have here! Tiz tiz!
Let us remind ourselves always that Tiki is just a silly little game we like to play.

Sometimes it gets a little too silly!

As so often, I find myself understanding both sides. Try to not pass judgement, and let's not publish posts that will clearly have a divisive effect among the members of this otherwise harmonious circle.

A Bump for BigBro's post.

Okay, call my silly if you want to... but smile when you say it. I couldn't resist the comparison to Mr. Mabuza's little missive.

T

When you fly to a African country to retrieve $36 million that's not yours, it benefits us all.

M

hmmm, did someone mention pie?

COBRALHOFA

The crow flies on Tuesday.

Bosco!

etindim

PRINCE BUTU GIVES YOU KISS, ONE MILLION DOLLAR, MAYBE FISHWHISTLE.

Z

What kind of pie is it?

... or is that secret too?

Dang, I think I just broke the first rule of the Secret Pie Club.

T

you didn't get the next secret message from them.

You will need to get black nikes with white stripes and white jogging outfits. We've set up a house in vegas where we all can live. Once there we will wait for the rocket ship to come when the comet arrives. Until then keep collecting mugs. The mugs will serve as the rocket fuel that will get us to the planet mars. From there we are just a wee small bit from uranus.

As promised, updated pics of my collection. Check out my old post.

I am once again in AWE of Atomicchick and her collection!! I've got quite a few Munktikis myself, but from now on I will call my shelf "Atomicchick Lite". ( I think the Fez wearing Cat is the best!!)

COBRALHOFA

The crow flies on Tuesday.

Bosco!

etindim

Copy that.

Red team go!

the fat man walks alone

goochspackle

112502 posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2005 4:39 PM

On 2005-03-06 05:34, TIKI DAVID wrote:
Will ther be a "SECRET" hand shake? and a club house? TD

Yeah ... grabs crotch, shakes it

The clubhouse, of course, is so entirely secret that it had a webcam for more a year. snicker

On 2005-03-08 21:14, tikiEAMES wrote:
you didn't get the next secret message from them.

It's ... "E A T M O R E C H I C K I N! M O O"

11  11  11111  11111  1111   11111  
111 111 111 111 11    11  11 111 111  
11  11    111  1111  11  11    111  
11  11   111      11 11  11   111  
11  11  111    1  11 11  11  111  
111111111111111  111   1111  1111111  
![](http://www.steelxsteel.com/angst/personal/steel.gif) ![](http://www.steelxsteel.com/angst/personal/steel.gif) ![](http://www.steelxsteel.com/angst/personal/steel.gif) ![](http://www.steelxsteel.com/angst/personal/steel.gif)

[ Edited by: 112502 on 2005-03-10 10:48 ]

[ Edited by: 112502 on 2005-03-10 10:49 ]

J

On 2005-03-08 16:41, ZebraTiki wrote:
What kind of pie is it?

... or is that secret too?

Dang, I think I just broke the first rule of the Secret Pie Club.

F

hey- just found out about this fight/thread!

I'm actually suprised to see myself on the list, as I figured nobody would remember me on here, as I havent been on much lately.

re: the issue, I don't see why some people can't make a private forum if they wanted to. Its not like these people "owe" it to others on TC to have everything they say, do and buy be 100% public, including private photos of their own collections.

For the record, I never actually got the email above.. but its clear from reading it that the "list" was a starting point, not a "who's who of collections" and the intention was just to get back to the core subject of tiki-collecting w/o having such a big unrelated crowd involved and making posts on the threads. TC has gotten pretty big, and can get off the specific subject of mug collecting that some people are soley interested in.

TC is its own thing, and these guys were simply trying to start their own thing. The reason feathers have been ruffled is because Tikihula apparently thought it was a good idea to backstab the guys who offered him a part in it. A pretty tacky move, apparently purely motivated by wanting to start a fight, but oh well. I mean, why not just reply and say "not interested" or "I think its a little exclusive"?

Like it or not, there ARE varying levels of people's collections. There are those that were around in the early days and amassed a big one then, and there are those that paid through the nose for it later, and there are many who have a smaller collection of nice pieces, as well as those who collect mostly new stuff or don't really collect seriously at all. (and there's nothing inherently better or wrong about any of them.)

..and there are those that somehow feel they are entitled to see every mug in everyone's collection, simply because they are owed some kind of "Tiki Aloha" free entertainment/mug education because they have a Jimmy Buffet record and a Tommy Bahama shirt, and that makes them part of a brotherhood.

There is simply nothing wrong with people with same-level collections getting together and swapping info/photos. In fact, i wish i had gotten the email, because it seems like a good idea to me- SIGN ME UP! Perhaps TikiHula was just irked these collectors were going to swap photos in private rather than lining up to fill his site's gallery with pictures of their VERY hard-earned trophies just so the next time one came up on Ebay they could get sniped by said Tommy Bahama guy who didn't even know that piece existed a week ago.

"Tiki" has taken on many forms of the years. To some it is "polynesian style" drinking and partying, to others its exotica music and a dimly lit bar, to yet others its Jimmy Buffet, a parrot shirt and a plastic cup full of rum.

..and to some, it is, at least in part, the serious collecton of tiki artifacts.

Everyone's got their own trip, and that's fine. But there's no reason to flip out because a few likeminded individuals wanted a private forum. Heck, if a group of TC drinking buddies made a private page to post to each other which local bar's toilet they'd all be ralphing in that weekend nobody would care, so why is mug collecting as the forum's subject any different?

I'll tell you why: because there are people who want to see these mugs, and be handfed all the known information about them, although they played no part in their acquisition, funding for said acquisition, or research leading to their discovery. They paid no book cover price for the experience, no trades were made, no palms were greased. They just want it forked over, in full color, high resolution, and neatly categorized, simply because they are a TC forum member, and they've got the Aloha coming, buddy.

That's all well and good. People are aware of that situation and most post their pictures and information publicly anyway and have a good time with it. But they don't owe it to anybody, and if/when they come up with the idea of having their own collecting and information circle, that's their right too- and they certainly don't need to be vibed from the people who were enjoying their prior public postings for doing so.

How you feel about a private forum is one's own opinion, there's gonna be a million shades of grey there. But posting the information that you were requested to keep private, and thus trying to single out people and publicly make them look bad for something they have every right to do is simply lame. I mean, where's the Aloooha in that brooo?

They have every right to start their own group if they so desire. You sir, had no right to betray a man's trust.

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2005-03-09 18:24 ]

K
Kono posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2005 7:13 PM

fatuhiva, maybe you could ask Hula why he posted the email. Maybe he has a reason.

My only gripe with the forum is that kohalacharms has invited TCers who do not have massive collections but have extensive knowledge to be members of his forum, yet they are required not to speak of things they learn on said forum. That is both bizarre and selfish. I think that undermines THIS forum and what it is all about. Kohala has taken knowledge from TC, as we all have, but he has given NOTHING back, and now he wants to up the ante. This is not about tiki or the "spirit of aloha," this is about greed and amassing a huge collection. This is just another tool for an (I'm learning) infamous ebay collector who has other "darker shades of gray" tools in his belt.

Why would you ask non-high roller tiki experts to be members and not divulge anything discussed on the forums to outsiders? Give me a good reason. I don't care that you have mugs I don't have. I do care when someone is trying to recruit expert tiki lovers into actively keeping information secret from me and others who just want to learn more. That is my only gripe! What is the purpose of the secrecy? fatuhiva, Have you been ridiculed and made to feel traumatized here on TC because of your collection? Why the frick should Sven have to watch what he says here on TC about tiki because he may give up something he learned on the secret forum?

Folks want to have a secret club and play like Donald Trump and Imelda Marcos I don't care. I don't blame you at all. Just don't recruit valuable contributing TC members and tell them what they learn about tiki on the secret forum (which will be less than they teach) cannot be shared with the TC ohana. That's just parasitic and manipulative. Hell, maybe you guys will figure it out on your own eventually.

Hard earned shmard earned.

Pure plain and simple, TC will be around for much longer that the Mug Cabal. And will be light years ahead in its database of tiki knowledge. I propose that at least one person on "the list" be a mole. Save info exchanged amongst the cabal. Then after some time, just reveal the info. What are they gonna do, Kill you?

Honestly go have your secret club. It matters not one jot, not one tittle, to me.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2005 8:17 PM

Kono,
I think you and others have read a whole lot more into the letter of invitation than is there. The privacy is for the members. The immediate information like uploaded images and who owns what and who traded what with whom. There was nothing, and is nothing said about sharing what you learn with others in general. In fact, we worried that Mike would take the private images and add them to his site. Maybe our worries were founded.
Private networks of people exist all over. There is nothing wrong with that and it is often needed. whatever project you are working on, you pick and chose who you will work with and expect them to keep your information private.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2005 8:27 PM

On 2005-03-09 20:03, TikiGardener wrote:
Hard earned shmard earned.

Exactly. How hard is it to type? And then click "Enter Bid." It's a hard knock life.

F

"Hard earned shmard earned. "

Exactly. How hard is it to type? And then click "Enter Bid." It's a hard knock life.

The kind of stuff I'm talking about was "earned" way before the Ebay days.. that is the kind of comment that a serious collector wouldn't make.. because they know just what goes into building an in depth collection. It goes well beyond Ebay. It's about knowing what to look for, and where to find it. Sometimes it shows up on Ebay, and if so, then its easy, albeit often expensive. But Ebay is no magic lamp.

That being said, I'll give my left nut for that Tiki Gardens Owl dude!

I'll keep that left nut promise for a left nut rainy day!

Oh, am I considered a serious collector? And who is the determining body of tiki collector seriocity? Seriocity! I like new word making up stuff....

Or am I a documentarian? Oh I'm so cornfused.

[ Edited by: TIKIGARDENER on 2005-03-09 23:52 ]

K
Kono posted on Thu, Mar 10, 2005 8:49 AM

On 2005-03-09 21:47, fatuhiva wrote:
The kind of stuff I'm talking about was "earned" way before the Ebay days.. that is the kind of comment that a serious collector wouldn't make.. because they know just what goes into building an in depth collection. It goes well beyond Ebay. It's about knowing what to look for, and where to find it. Sometimes it shows up on Ebay, and if so, then its easy, albeit often expensive. But Ebay is no magic lamp.

fatu, I said that because in a different thread it was said that his collection is primarily off of ebay. Last time I checked, he won about 80 auctions over the previous 30 days.

Swanky, if what you say is true (I'm not suggesting that you are not telling the truth, I just doubt that you are the originator of the idea and know the full implications of the intentions behind it), then I have no problem with your private group. Secrecy makes people suspicious and often for good reason. A great deal of this wailing and gnashing of teeth would've likely been avoided if kc had ever introduced himself to TC and told us a little about himself.

I gotta run, I'm taking minutes at a meeting of a bunch of Japanese investors who plan on trying to exploit a legal loophole allowing them to purchase Diamond Head Park and turn it into a giant members only wave pool. Oops! Uh, forget about what I just said. :wink:

Hey Kono-

The Coast Guard owns the Lighthouse at Diamond Head, so here's what I'll do...

I'm going to kick out the Admiral who lives there ( I'll tell I need to paint it ) and we can hold secret moonlight pie rituals there. Are ya game?

[ Edited by: aquaorama on 2005-03-10 09:01 ]

OK kids, let's put this to rest, it is getting to the point of arguing for the argument's sake now.

One last thing: Some of the posts seem to be written with the assumption that this group already exists and the names on the list are members. I am not so sure. I for one had not yet replied to the invite, because my e-mail is seriously backed up and I had not gotten to it. And it is for that very reason that I would not have participated, because I spent too much time of the day on line already. This is no value judgement, just pragmatic fact. I had other invites, for other side forums, but I simply cannot spend any more time on this than I already am. TC is enough for me.

And concerning Kohalacharms, I have no quarrel with the man. I just think it is too bad that he was made to feel unwelcome on TC. And think about it, there are over 2000 members here on the Forum that just lurk, and do not post either, does anybody worry about all the knowledge they are withholding?

I completely agree with you. I think we should lock this post and try to bring back the love and Aloha! :wink:

This photo is not meant to make you sick!

We are the world, we are the Tiki.....

Thats Kono and Swanky in the upper right corner!!

[ Edited by: aquaorama on 2005-03-10 11:51 ]

C
Chub posted on Thu, Mar 10, 2005 11:54 AM

spoken very quietly and with a lisp "the password is vagina"

Pages: 1 2 3 105 replies