Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Mug Misfortunes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies

So the other night my wife invites a bunch of her friends over for a few drinks before their "ladies night out" event for which was celebration for one of them getting married next Valentines weekend.

Apparantly, its a Greek tradition (her friend is Greek) to smash stuff up when they get married.... I DID NOT KNOW THIS. If I did, they certainly wouldn't have been drinking from my newly acquired set of Lucky Tiki mugs!

SHIT! Here's all thats left -----

The good news was, I ended up with a houseful of drunk women ready to go out and let their hair down....the bad news was, I wasn't invited to go out with them -- and oh yeah, a bunch of broken mugs left for me to clean up.

my big fat greek tiki massacre

HT

good lord. i hope she's picking up new ones for you and realizes the horrible thing she's done.

That aint right!!!!! At least there's more where that came from!!!!
Later,
Spermy

Poly Pop- Looking at this thread would lead me to belive that all of your Tiki Mugs are not safe (maybe a curse of some sort) So if you want, you can give all of your undamaged mugs too Meeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! I'll take good care of them.
Later,
Spermy

Spermy, I appreciate the offer - but if I let all my unbroken ones go then I wouldn't have any left to break now would I? :wink:

T

God I shudder everytime this thread comes back up to the top and PolyPop has posted a response, but I gotta look. That accident on the highway thing I guess. Maybe Tiki Farm should start making mugs out of Iron. :)
My sympathies yet again.

My God Poly Pop - the carnage left in the wake of your wife's friends visit is absolutely unreal! I've never seen so many broken mugs in one place! Now tell us the truth are you drinking out of these mugs or are you practicing juggling?

T

Wow, P-p
I know that those little brown Joes (as I call them) were limited and cost alittle more but did they come with a tikitony picture inside. I didn't know that if they did and they should have if they didn't

What about the drinks???? Doesn't anyone care about the drinks??? hehehe

All unbroken mugs can be sent to me to be looked after.

My friends, come gather round and let me tell you a story. I must warn you, this tale does not end happily.

It was a cool Wisconsin morning. The wife had just left for work, and the children were restless, so I decided to direct their energy by playing a little music. As the young ones were dancing around the living room to a song by Tiki King and the Idol Pleasures, I smiled and looked on, filled with fatherly pride.

Then everything turned sour. I didn't notice at first, but the children's joyful dance had been slowly moving a case of CDROMs to the edge of our entertainment center. That's when it happened.

I watched in slow-motion horror as the CDs slipped off the shelf and crashed into the top of a very sentimental Chiki Tiki mug. The mug did not suffer damage at this point, but the momentum from the collision sent my helpless Chiki Tiki crashing into the floor.

All attempts at reconstruction failed. There was just too much damage. He has left our world.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-04-28 09:43 ]

On 2005-04-24 17:39, PolynesianPop wrote:

I bought one of those mugs at the Pa'ina and the first time I picked it up it fell apart in my hands. I was supposed to get a replacement in the mail along with the hand-painted print that goes along with it, but neither ever arrived. It was a lot of money spent on nothing.

BUMP!

I remembered this thread as I experienced the misfortune of opening an eBay shipment yesterday and finding it only 50% intact. Yeah, it could have been worse. Unfortunately it is not yet a well-recognized FACT that if your packaging won't protect glassware from a fall down the stairs, it WON'T survive USPS. This coupled with the sad FACT that buyers value their purchases FAR more than sellers do leads to inevitable mug attrition.

A

I hear and feel your pain...

About a month ago I bought a cool 6 piece set of tiki/tropical style glasses. I knew there was trouble when I saw the condition the box was in on my back deck...apparently my mailman is too lazy to drag his ass out of his car to walk a few steps to the deck, so he just pitched it out the window. Only 2 of the 6 glasses survived. Fortunately, the seller was a peach and refunded most of the purchase price (and I suspect he severely chastised whoever packed the glasses, too).

For the most part, however, I've been lucky so far...knock on tikiwood!

amiotiki

This thread makes me wanna cry half the time and giggle the other half. Polypop you are killing me.

I bumped into a cd shelf in my office with my crutches trying to get to my computer, down came hundreds of cds, and broke the glass in 2 framed lobby cards, 2 Tommy Bahama mugs and this Tiki Farm shot mug.....

The wind took this Tiki Farm surfer/tiki plaque off the fence.....

Holy Schnikees... YOU LOST A SURFIN' MOAI BRO!!! Man, that breaks my heart... damn!!
Holden

8T

Oh Sweet Leilanis, We seldom sing our praises of thee. You are the faithful ones. So unique yet so humble. Closer should we look to discover your varied beauty and usefulness. But alas, too late am I to reveal my feelings for thee. Why oh why did thou leave me?

Oh well, never mind, I'll just buy some more.

OH MY GOD!!!!!

Not a Tiki Leilani! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Kill me now! Oh God I don't want to live!

UB

Here is a classic that deserves a bump.

Cat.

OL

Poor Mr. Bali Hai. I found him today at the Rose Bowl Flea Market, but I tripped in my drive way. He never even made it into the house.

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2008-03-14 11:34 ]

K
Kenike posted on Sun, Jul 9, 2006 6:20 PM

On 2006-07-09 16:47, ookoo lady wrote:

Poor Mr. Bali Hai. I found him today at the Rose Bowl Flea Market, but I tripped in my drive way. He never even made it into the house.

How sad...he looks like a vintage one too.

K

BIG thanks to UPS

T

two of them broke? What did the box look like? Does Munktiki send you new ones and the post office (UPS) pays the damages? It looks like just the tops are broke, but there does seem to be a lot of broke pieces. Instead of throwing them away, they look like you could still get some use some how.

K

Time Out is handling it (not Munktiki) and has promised me new ones. I have to hold these for UPS so they can "view the damage." I wouldn't say they were packed "badly"...I got 4 of the Hukilau glasses in the same box and they were fine. The mugs were on the very bottom of the box with maybe one layer of packing peanuts (which obviously was not enough). The important thing is that Time Out is handling it the best way they can and I'll eventually have new mugs.

If not, Homes, I gots an extra one and I'm sure we can work somthin out. Maholla!

K

Thanks, Balls...I'll keep you posted.

Ouch - easy does it UPS..Make that an edition of 298.......

Now I am worried as i haven't gotten my mug yet and it appears that they have a weak spot at the top. Easily broken in transit.

On 2006-07-09 16:47, ookoo lady wrote:

Why do I feel as if someone is walking on my grave?

T

On 2006-10-12 20:00, smgleason47 wrote:
Ouch - easy does it UPS..Make that an edition of 298.......

Now I am worried as i haven't gotten my mug yet and it appears that they have a weak spot at the top. Easily broken in transit.

Don't start worrying yet. Mine just arrived yesterday and they were in one piece. I was a little concerned though when I started unpacking and realized the mugs were on the bottom.

D

I opened the front door this morning (Note the date) and found this box. When I picked it up I could hear trouble. Note the under sized box and no packing around the edges. Well at least it was not Dental or something else rare.

[ Edited by: dibroc 2009-03-06 19:25 ]

T

what if it was only a penny cause they shipped out a broken mug. Probably not the cause but the rating history would be able to tell you more.

Nevermind, look how the bowl butts up against the box's edge. It was a suicide mission.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2006-10-13 10:05 ]

K

When I've had the good fortune to win an eBay item at a crazy low price, I've told the seller that my winning price was too low, and that I'd send them my max bid after I receive the item and find it to be in good condition. Each time the seller was happy, and I received the item intact and well packed. It's easy to drop $5 or so in an envelope and send it back to them. Cheap insurance to get a mug in one piece.

D

wondrful idea, will do that next time if we are able to winn at a low bid. we did do that with "Kreepy tiki". his new mugs are great. I hope everyone takes a look and supports this artist.

MT

Although I barely made the trip home in one piece from The Hukilau, these mugs didn't:

D

OK this is a small thing but worth adding here. Over the week end i ordered a couple of tiki farm shots from http://www.stuff-o-rama.com They shipped as fast as anyone i have seen. When the package arrived I opened it to find one of the mugs chipped. I email Stuff-O-Rama about the damaged item. The next day I received a shipment notice that a replacement was on the way. WOW just like that is is being replaced. This is a wonderful seller and I hope everyone takes a look and supports them.

MT

Yeah, Teri is top notch! Always a pleasure to do business with her, and her online store is great! Definitely an online store worth frequenting and patronizing.

On 2006-10-12 14:05, teaKEY wrote:
Instead of throwing them away, they look like you could still get some use some how.

Send ALL broken, chipped or unloved mugs to teaKEY.
Not even BROKEN Tiki mugs in his part of the country! :cry:

Just kiddin teaKEY......all love from the Tiki Ohana! :D

But I know I WOULD figure out a way to make something cool and useful from those! :wink:

T

Send ALL broken, chipped or unloved mugs to teaKEY. Not even BROKEN Tiki mugs in his part of the country! -Dr. TikiMojo

Certainly send all unloved mug to me. I live on the island of Misfit Mugs and I comfort them and they live out the rest of their days in happiness with others like them.

He is right about the broken mugs not being here. Maybe its the fact that there is less mugs to break. Maybe they are so valuable that we only walk over grass with then never sidewalk. Maybe since they are less bars there are less drunk moments? But the only time that I saw a broke mug (and common at that), I did buy it. And at the same time, cracked mugs make me feel bad and I don't like that around me but I have a happy solution for that mug and I just thought of it alittle while ago.
I have a hollow Moai that I'm going to fill with sand and seal up. I'm going to place that broken mug into the head of the Moai before I seal it and it will timecapsule that mug for hundreds of years. PLus the Moai is literally going to have "tikis on this mind" for all time to come. How cool is that.

But there was a bunch of great photo in this thread that seem to all vanished and once someone made cool wall art with there misfortunes.

Shrek killed my Spooky D!! I happened to be looking at the mug, when all of a sudden (in slow motion!) I see the Shrek falling forward and push my Spooky D right off the shelf!

It's killing me because it was the #150 of 150. I really enjoyed this mug, I just got it.

Anyone need some CZ eyes? I miss it already! :(

there should be a chalk out line around the body. and the palce swarm'n with csi. this was no doubt MURDER!

It seemed all of my collectables were mocking me at that moment

Tragic to say the least...I have nightmares about this happening to me (Thank God for carpet). I had a close call the other day with a Bosko mug. Scary, very scary indeed. You should send the pic to Munktiki. Who knows, they might send you a condolence card.

post man jumped up n down on this one....

First time for me....

T

I just got one of those today, mine looked a little different though. Mostly the upper head region.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies