Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Backyard in Yorba Linda - Neighbors Protest

Pages: 1 2 54 replies

A man named Chuck Hyneman and his wife who live in Yorba Linda California have made the news 2 days in a row due to the controversy of their construction of their dream backyard which includes something akin to "The Tikis" in Monterey Park. Two days in a row this story has been featured on KABC TV here in Los Angeles area. The Hynemans got the approval to construct the backyard which will include 2 pools and their focal point is this giant Tahitian-style hut that is on stilts and rises about 1.5 stories. The neighbors from neighboring development have circulated petition and presented to the city objecting to the structure, saying it is destroying their privacy and might lower their property values. (IMO, it is no more obtrusive than having a second story house where people can view your backyard from the second story. And all the houses there are two story, so what is the problem?!) The backyard permits were fully approved with the city. Last night there was a council meeting and they've agreed to change the development laws (to what, I don't know) but it won't affect the Hynemans. (whew!) Does anyone know the Hyneman's? Are they members of Tiki Central? Perhaps we should hold a Tiki Central vigil in their defense! Unfortunately I don't know the address, but these are million dollar properties with huge backyards.

This is obviously a case of jealous neighbors... They need to put a Maori tiki on top of the roof with his tongue sticking out. Thanks for the report.

My hat is off to those folks. Would love to see that backyard of theirs!

On 2005-04-20 13:02, Kailuageoff wrote:
This is obviously a case of jealous neighbors... They need to put a Maori tiki on top of the roof with his tongue sticking out. Thanks for the report.

Or maybe I should carve a 10 foot penis for all the neighbors to gawk at. THAT would really set them off.

[i]On 2005-04-20 18:32, Jungle Trader wrote

Or maybe I should carve a 10 foot penis for all the neighbors to gawk at. THAT would really set them off.

It should be placed in a spot so that the neighbors can only see it if they are really making an effort, so if they complain, you know they had to go to Mrs. Kravitz type lengths to do so.

Has Yorba Linda gotten so boring that there's nothing else to do than worry about other people having a more creative idea than your own? As far as making the property values go down, if you have room for two pools the property value in the area is pretty darn high, and probably hasn't gone down in over 30 years. Whiners!

Bring in the tikis with enormous phalluses, and then if the nosy neighbors complain, call it cultural intolerance!

[ Edited by: ZebraTiki on 2005-04-20 19:22 ]

Perhaps the concerned citizens of Yorba Linda are worried this might dilute the mana of the Richard Nixon Presidential Library.

Bring in the tikis with enormous phalluses, and then if the nosy neighbors complain, call it cultural intolerance!

Yep, sounds good to me. When my ill-tempered lesbian neighbor put up an eight-foot privacy fence between our yards while we were away on vacation, tearing up my purple jasmine vine and desecrating a cat grave in the process, I swore one day to raise a Tangaroa atop each fence post, pointing their willies towards her yard.

D

*On 2005-04-20 18:32, Jungle Trader wrote:

*Or maybe I should carve a 10 foot penis for all the neighbors to gawk at. THAT would really set them off.

with the last name of Hyneman, maybe a tiki carved by Fast Eddie would be appropriate (the backsides of his carvings are quite labiacal is that a word?.. i think Selector Lopaka and Puamana's tiki is anatomically correct!

This story was on the front page of the local section of the Orange County Register yesterday. There are pics of their backyard. It is not completed, but it looks awesome already. Their neighbors are just snobby assholes that need to find a hobby. Protesting because your neighbor is making home improvements?? WTF!

[ Edited by: Atomicchick on 2005-04-21 00:35 ]

T

Here is a shot of the Hyneman's backyard. Their "neighbors" are giving them a hard time over something that will look that great??? Assholes!!!

Shecky #33 would go there!

Trustar

The neighbors are CLEARLY JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I am! :D LOL!

Those neighbors are jealous that they didnt think of it first. Royal bores that they probably are!

If they are so upset by it, why dont they all build kick-ass tiki huts? :D LOL!

That is one tikififfic yard! KUDOS TO THEM! :D I know I would move in, in a heartbeat!

~L

I agree Trustar. With all important issues going on in the world, these uptight puke buckets choose to go rounds with the neighbors who are pursuing their right to life, liberty and the pusuit of tikiness. What a bland bunch of cry babies. "Property value is going to go down" what a load of dirty diapers.
Chongolio

I think I'd be happy just being the family dog in that backyard!

I'll never understand how or why some people feel that they have the right to control other people's lives... what they do or how they think. It's as though their world is threatened if someone else isn't following their plan. TC has two banned topics just for that very reason.

I keep picturing what my dream backyard would be (at the house I currently own) and it sure as hell wouldn't match the surrounding yards... but then again, it's my property, my free will. That's why I'll never live in an area with an association.

-Z

D

This makes me fume! I am so sick of So Cal property owners who fight for a cookie cutter home that looks just like the other 1200 homes in their "master planned communities"! Whatever happened to rugged individualisms. These are probably the same people who bristle at thought of big governement telling them what to do in other aspects of their lives and property. I disagree that the neighbors are jeleous. I think they are knee-jerk reactionaries who are would rather stop any type of development that they are not personally familar with on account of fear over their massivly overprices houses. They have so much $$$ invested in their homes that they don't want ANYTHING that may or may not even begin to tamper with their property values. That is why you see mile after mile of boring tract houses that look just like the next one here in So Cal. Just judging from the one picture of the unfinished backyar, this will look very nice and tastefully done. It looks like this family is spending some serious cash on this landscaping. Its interesting too, that these same people would probably have a cow over the simple planting of a plam tree in their area--if theyweren't already there before they moved in. I would think that a certain level of individualism and personal style (tastefully rendered) to the interior and exterior of a home adds to the community.

I am an appraiser trainee by profession and I look at it from all these perspectives: do they have permits to build? What is the effect on value? etc. I was never so relieved to hear that they had all their P's and Q's dotted in terms of this project. There is nothing the city can do - if they tried to reverse approvals, I think the Hyneman's would have a good lawsuit. Changing the law after the fact - that is asinine as well, but I guess the city felt they had to appease. So I wonder what they changed - did they make it illegal to errect 2 story houses in this otherwise 2-story community? No gazebos can be built in one's backyard? I'd be interested to see. In the meantime, the Hynemans can rest in peace until someone tries to burn them out.... you never know - there are some crazy people out there! As for property values, the folks they interviewed on television last night looked like the whinniest idiots on the planet. The neighborhood has got to be full of million dollar plus homes there - this is just stupid!!! It is not ruining any property values - it will look great when they finish. these neighbors - all they have to do is plant a mature tree in the yard in the right position to block their view of it.

On 2005-04-20 18:32, Jungle Trader wrote:

If you did that, they would have penis envy.
:lol:

[i]On 2005-04-20 20:15, purple jade wrote:
Yep, sounds good to me. When my ill-tempered lesbian neighbor put up an eight-foot privacy fence between our yards while we were away on vacation, tearing up my purple jasmine vine and desecrating a cat grave in the process, I swore one day to raise a Tangaroa atop each fence post, pointing their willies towards her yard.

Purple Jade, you are in New Orleans and have access to VOODOO. Use it on that neighbor!

On 2005-04-20 20:15, purple jade wrote:

Oh MAN! I grew up in New Orleans, from the ages of 6 to 19. That (besides Brazil) is my home town! If I were you, I would think that some SERIOUS gris-gris was in order. :wink:

~L

Hi Everyone. This is Rick, on behalf of the the Hyneman family. I know that these posts date back to over a year ago so im not sure if anyone will be seeing this but I just discovered it for the first time and was quite happy to see all of your positive posts and replies! If only our neighbors had your same views.

To answer the question that I read in these posts about what rules that were changed, it is now against code to build ANYTHING that is over 24 feet tall that does not fall into "cookie cutter" structure.. so if you live in YL and wanted to build anything from a tiki hut to a lighthouse you can thank my neighbors that now you cant :(

If your interested in seeing the backyard in its completed state iv added a couple pics. again, thanks for your support & Long Live Tiki!

OMG...your yard looks absolutely awesome and in such pristine decor and taste. Glad you made it in under the wire. It is a shame that neighbors cannot support positive additions to properties such as yours. Enjoy every moment basking in the glory of your success. :D

Beautiful, stunning, a real paradise. The mean neighbors who will never be invited to a back yard party will truly miss out. I wish they were next door to us we would be hanging on the fence invading their privacy! Thank you for sharing I really wanted to see it finished, Wendy

Just amazing - what a paradise - so despite the opposition, you obviously received permits for your yard before the new restrictions? Good for you. Thanks for posting, now how about some pics from inside the structures (ie Tiki Bar?). Are you true Tiki-philes, does the love of Polynesia flow into the house too.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 14, 2007 5:42 PM

That looks freaking awesome! Lovely backyard :) Welcome to TC, as you've no doubt found, you're amongst like souls here mate :)

Oh yeh, more pics are DEFINITELY welcome :)

T

wow. just wow. That's amazing. It looks like the pool lounge area of a tropical hotel. I'm sure the owners could make some serious dough just renting it out for parties. I bet that would get the neighbors' goat. Sounds like they deserve it. It's very strange that this type of thing is happening all over Orange County. You'd think that with the generally nice weather that we get here, more people would be interested in tropical decor. At the very least, I'd think they would do more than a little to make new friends so as to get invited over once in a while. I wouldn't mind being invited over there for a few hours on a Saturday.

K

Awesome vision!
Welcome to TC...
enjoy your backyard in good health!
I raise my glass to you
:drink:

Your neighbors need to GET A LIFE!
K.

Hey Rick!

SO glad you got to make your backyard dream come true AND that you found us here!

I can't imagine how funny/cool/weird that must have felt - finding all these posts on a website about how much some people who don't know you LOVE your back yard! :lol: :lol:
A nice switch from people who live by you wanting to tear down your landscaping!!

It really does look like a resort dream hotel (I say that as a compliment). If I never make it to French Polynesia, I'd love to vacation there in your back yard!

Congratulations for making it happen. I hope you eventually win the hearts of your neighbors; they're certainly missing out on a LOT of fun.
alice b

That is stunningly beautiful!! Now just build a rope bridge to your house!Heh,heh,heh

Rick, very cool looking backyard! Find out which neighbors caused the most trouble and put up a row of 23'11" inch tikis right on the fenceline....

O

Beautiful place Rick, I am glad you were able to persevere through all the BS. Glad you found Tiki Central. Welcome aboard

Tim Ojaitimo

I

Thanks you for digging up this old post. Love the finished project. Enjoy.

To the home owners in YL...... ADOPT ME!!!!

WOW!
How can anyone object to something that beautiful?

Well done, Rick!

M

It's easy to object to something like this if a person has no imagination or any sense of humor. So many neighborhoods in California are "Conformington Acres" where every house looks just like the one across the street and down the block. These people are wound so tight that any deviation from "bleige" (blah + beige if that's possible) is heresy. My wife and I have friends that are amazed that we have an entire home filled with late 50's early 60's furniture and decorations including toys etc. for our 4 year old and they say "You guys are so free, we could never do that." So many people are so afraid to color outside the lines. Now that we are planning "PolyAmnesia" (our Polynesian/Early 60's Americana patio and garden), they stare at us like "How do you know how to think that way?" Here in Bakersfield my wife and I are the weirdos because where PolyAmnesia is being put is a motorhome/RV parking space in the back yard and we don't have one. RV pads were a selling point for the houses in this tract and everyone and his cat and dog has a monstrosity parked in the side yard on the glorious RV pad. The neighbors know we're off our rockers so this will result in rolled eyes. Be bold I say and keep pushing the boundaries. Life is too short to be noncreative or nonrecreative for that matter.

Jealousy. No, not mine...theirs! They object to it because it represents your ability to have fun with things. It looks beautiful, wonderful, it is very well done.

M

I was attempting to preach to the choir. If you're on Tiki Central you have to be a creative person who colors outside the lines. I intended no criticism of anyone here. My criticism was for the people who want to stifle Tiki and creativity by extension. My apologies if my words misconveyed my intent.

T

That looks way cool - these are fine photos, but is it possible (without being too invasive) to post more? Would love to see more detail. Thanks!

[ Edited by: TikiReno 2007-01-15 16:43 ]

On 2007-01-15 16:43, TikiReno wrote:
That looks way cool - these are fine photos, but is it possible (without being too invasive) to post more? Would love to see more detail. Thanks!
Yeah, like a shot from the front with the street address - so we can know where to crash your next BBQ! :wink:

Seriously, we'd all love to see more; you'll never get a more appreciative crowd than this bunch!
ab

V

Props to you dude!

You asked for more pics so you got em.. here are some more that I took last summer. Also I cant take credit for the backyard, that goes to my parents, they just cant use a computer all to well so spoke on their behalf. But I can take credit for most the crazy parties that go on back there :)

In regards to a recent posts I read, Yes the inside of the house is elaborate in tiki/Polynesian/pirate decor as well.

& about renting out the land for parties or events, we have never done that but it sounds like a good idea! & might be able to be aranged for a reasonable price. We could even cater and staff it too.. email me at if youd want talk about that

anyway, enjoy the photos

Just totally in awe here...that is so classy, clean and fabulous. It inspires me to try a little harder in my tiny (looks like all the other houses) yard. Thanks for sharing those pictures. :)

T

Amazing. It really is. The more pictures I see of this, the more impressed I am.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 22, 2007 5:44 PM

Thanks for the pics, that place is gorgeous :)

How about some pics inside the house too eh? Pretty please?

M

Nice Job!
When's the party?

On 2007-01-22 21:45, MTKahuna wrote:
Nice Job!
When's the party?

Yeah, when is the party?? I've been to some tikiphiles houses, haveing never met them prior, and I didn't freak them out.

We should have a carving party in Yorba Linda. Where is that anyway?

Anyone ever just start saying "yorba"? YORBA, YORBA, YORBA! :D

I guess somebody from SD area might not know where Yorba Linda is.
Its North East of Anaheim about 10 miles or so.

Now can someone in SD area tell me where El Centro is.
and if its such a horrible place, why do people always talk about it?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

K

Looks like a great "E ticket" ride to me!
can I find it next to Pirates of the Carribean?
:D
K.

PalapaDweller, I'm tikifying/junglefying my own backyard on (it looks like) 1/1000th your parents' budget. Thank them for me for turning some features of what I can only dream into a reality! I speak mainly of their "great house" (the all-purveying palapa), their palm-studded island (genius; have they named it?), and their waterfall grotto (the heavens opened and hula-skirt-clad angels sang) -- Disneyland Hotel-inspired, perhaps? (That is a waterfall, correct? If you ever give in to the clamors and take another picture, one with the waterfall flowing, from behind it [a Disneyland Jungle Cruise "backside of water" joke comes to mind], from inside the grotto, at night, would be most welcome.) Love the pirate skull-and-crossbones at the grotto entrance; adds a tough of adventure, and also seems apropos as this wonderful backyard aims its cannons at the ramparts of cookie-cutter conformism. Amazing to me that a community just minutes from the Enchanted Tiki Room, Oceanic Arts, the Pacific, and other such things, should fail to appreciate landscaping that so naturally belongs in our almost-tropical climate with such a rich history of tiki, fun, and individualism. In the world of the recent past, and hopefully that of the not-too-distant future, neighboring properties with such a view would see their values rise, not drop.

HC

Rick, That is so fine ! er' could we do a "Changing Spaces" episode?.... except We just leave a couple of bottles of good rum.....and you work the magic in Vermont !....(I'll check for permits!).....I'm working on a hybrid maple/palm....

Pages: 1 2 54 replies