Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Macadamia Nut Liqueur cocktails?

Pages: 1 39 replies

J
JaredB posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2005 3:59 PM

Does anyone have any recipes? I just picked up some of the Trader Vics Macadamia Nut liqueur and I'd like to try some variations.

All I found in Beachbum Berry's books was a recipe for the Macadamia Nut Chi Chi, but it's very possible that I missed one.

Thanks in advance.

D

I've been curious about that myself. I've seen it at a liquor store near me. I've looked on the TV's web site recipes and they don't have any drinks posted that use it. Funny, they list a ton of over Vic's mixers, like margarita mix, and Tom & Jerry batter, whatever that is. The only things I've ever seen are the Passion Fruit Syrup, Ko Ko Kreme, Mai Tai Mix, Orgeat, Dark Rum and now the Macadamia.

mmm...the macadamia nut liqueur is really tasty!

The chi chis are great. Now that I think of it, I did make up a recipe that uses it, but was too tipsy to write it down or remember what the heck I did!

I'll have to break it open again this week and have some fun.

I would also like to know of anyone else's recipes!

Mahalo!
-Tw

D

I happened upon a drink recipe that uses the stuff in the "Intoxica" book. Since I'm at the office now, I can't remember what the name was though.

Has anyone tried to copy the Hala-Kahiki's "King Kamehameha Royal Chocolate Drinks"? They sound like a standard milkshake (Ice Cream, Milk, Flavorings), but with Rum & Liquor added. Here's my quick approximation:

Hala-Kahiki's Kamehameha Chocolate Kopy

3 scoops of Chocolate Ice Cream
1/4 C milk
2 oz. dark Rum
1 oz. Macadamia Liquer
Chocolate Sauce
Whipped Cream
Crushed Macadamia nuts

Combine Ice Cream, Milk, Rum & Liquer in a blender & blend until mixed, add Chocolate Sauce to taste & blend 'til smooth. Pour into glass & top with Whipped Cream & chopped Macadamias. Garnish with a Cherry.

D

Yum! That sounds very tasty!!!! I'm gonna have to try that one out!

D
DrMig posted on Wed, Jul 27, 2005 8:19 PM

Last night I whipped up a couple of Intoxica's Mac Nut Chi-Chi's for a friend's birthday. Very tasty, with a powerful delayed kick to them. I normally don't like chi chis that much but the liqueur really softens the burn of the vodka.

As for other recipes, I haven't found any. But I brought back a bottle of Kahana from Hawaii this spring, and I've been experimenting. I've gotten good results substituting it for amaretto in some drinks. I also tried making a Mai Tai with Kahana instead of orgeat, and what I got was ... not a Mai Tai anymore, but it still felt good going down.

R
roland posted on Thu, Aug 4, 2005 6:40 PM

I know it mixes extremely well with milk or half-n-half.

Maybe some kind of White Russian variant?

M

Try this:

2 oz. strong coffee (chilled in fridge)
1 oz. Coruba rum (Myers as substitute)
1/2 oz. Creme de Cacao
1/2 oz. Liquor 43
3/4 oz. TV Macadamia Nut Liqueur

Shake, pour
Optional: soymilk/milk to taste.

I was looking for something ot use MN Liqueur in and threw this together and it wasn't bad at all. Sort of like iced coffee with a nutty kick.

[ Edited by: mahalomo 2005-09-14 18:46 ]

P

Prince Kuhio
(from The Plantation Gardens in Kauai)

1 shot Macadamia
1.5 shot pineapple
2 shots amber rum
1/2 shot orange juice
dash of simple syrup

This was just reverse engineered by me and it's pretty close to the drinks I had there. I should have asked the bartender but I was too enthralled by the place.

K
Kono posted on Fri, Sep 16, 2005 6:20 PM

On 2005-09-15 19:17, pablus wrote:
Prince Kuhio

1 shot Macadamia
1.5 shot pineapple
2 shots amber rum
1/2 shot orange juice
dash of simple syrup

This was just reverse engineered by me and it's pretty close to the drinks I had there. I should have asked the bartender but I was too enthralled by the place.

That's a damn fine drink Pablus! They need your reverse engineering skills at Area 51. :drink:

We just returned home from Kauai and are trying to duplicate a drink we had at Paradise Seafood & Grill in Puhi called "Puhi Split". The grill is going out of business and we were lucky that they still had a fresh banana on hand or we would never have tried this drink!!

Here's our version made in the blender:

1/2 cup Macadamia Nut Liqueur
1/2 cup Kahlua
1/2 cup Dark Rum
1/4 cup Cream (Half & Half)
1 Fresh Banana
Ice to Finish Filling Blender

We have stopped at Paradise Seafood & Grill every year now for 6 years and will miss them very much! Hope some of you enjoy this drink!!

FA

Mauna Kea Martini
1 1/2oz. Gold Rum
1/2 oz. Macadamia Nut Liqueur
1/4 oz. Chocolate Liqueur
1/2 oz. Cream

Combine in a mixing glass with ice. Stir gentely and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Kahana Colada
Franklin Laborte, Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
1-1/4 ounces Kahana Royale macadamia nut liqueur
3/4 ounce Meyers Platinum rum
3 ounces pineapple juice
3 ounces coconut syrup
3 ounces coconut milk

Blend with ice and pour.

[i]salmon alice[i]
muddled watermelon & lime juice with a generous measure of vanilla infused gin, watermelon liqueur & kahana royale macadamia nut liqueur $15 http://www.mushu.com.au/cocktaillist.htm

Found these during a search.
Also has anyone tried the Kahana Royale Macadamia Nut Liqueur? http://www.internetwines.com/rws18293.html

Also found this recipe for a tart.

Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart

From Nancy Matsui, The Arizona Republic
Sept. 4, 2004 02:01 PM

Crust
4 ounces softened cream cheese
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups unbleached flour

In a bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter. Add flour and blend until pea-size crumbs form.

Knead into a ball. Divide dough into two equal portions. Roll out the portions to fit two 7-inch tart pans with removable bottoms, or pie tins. Put dough in pans. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. advertisement

Filling
2 1/2 cups roasted macadamia nuts, whole and half pieces
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 teaspoons unsalted butter
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups corn syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350 degrees. If using roasted, salted macadamias, wrap them in a paper towel and rub off as much salt as possible.

Put chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until thoroughly melted. Stir periodically to speed up melting. Add butter and heat until melted.

In a medium bowl, mix eggs, sugar and corn syrup until well blended. Add chocolate mixture and vanilla and mix well. Fold in the nuts. Remove plastic wrap from tart pans. Divide filling between pans. Bake in the middle of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes.

Sweetened whipped cream
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons Kahana Royale (macadamia nut), Frangelico (hazelnut) or amaretto (almond) liqueur
or
2 tablespoons powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine whipping cream and liqueur (or whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla) in a medium bowl and whip with mixer until stiff. Garnish tart with sweetened whipped cream.

Makes two tarts, 6 servings each.

Approximate values per serving: 548 calories, 38 g fat, 132 mg cholesterol, 6 g protein, 53 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 101 mg sodium, 59 percent calories from fat.

[ Edited by: Fez Ape 2005-10-01 03:39 ]

On 2005-10-01 02:58, Fez Ape wrote:
Found these during a search.
Also has anyone tried the Kahana Royale Macadamia Nut Liqueur? http://www.internetwines.com/rws18293.html

[ Edited by: Fez Ape 2005-10-01 03:39 ]

Yup, I bought a bottle of this in Oahu. It's beautiful.
Buy some it's the best.

FA

On 2005-10-03 23:06, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

Yup, I bought a bottle of this in Oahu. It's beautiful.
Buy some it's the best.

Awesome, mahalo for the input.

Just finished my bottle (hand carried by loyal friend from the islands to the mainland) of Kahana & looking to order online - thanks for the internet wines posting! Currently enjoying a:

Hawaiian Latte: :drink:

1 1/2 oz. Starbucks liqueur
3/4 oz. Kahana Royale (that's all I had left!)
1/2 oz. Cream

Mix over ice in a fun shaped daiquiri glass. Float Amaratto on top.

This is my current favorite use for Macadamia Nut Liqueur. It's a fairly obvious derivative of the "Pink Cloud" that occurred to me one evening while I was sitting at the bar at the Emeryville Trader Vic's...
The Island Cloud
1 Ounce Macadamia Nut Liqueur (Trader Vic's)
1 Ounce Clear Creme de Cacao (Bols)
1 Ounce Evaporated Milk

Combine ingredients in shaker, and shake furiously with cubes until shaker starts to frost. Strain into martini glass.

Enjoy.

H

I'm a little bummed out about this Macadamia Nut Liqueur. I have a bottle of it but the first time I tried it, I got an allergic reaction. Since then it's just been sitting up on my shelf taking up space. The weird part is that I can eat macadamia nuts, so what's up?

I am allergic to some other nuts, such as walnuts and filberts. I am also allergic to Hazelnuts and my suspicion is that there might be some Hazelnut mixed in with the Macadamia nuts.

Do any of you have a clue as to what all of the ingredients are that are actually in this stuff?

Does my Hazelnut theory sound plausible?

H

What exactly was your reaction?? Allergic could be fatal.....

H

After just a few sips of a drink that used the Macadamia Nut Liqueur, my neck and cheeks started to swell up. I immediately took some Benadryl which seemed to help.

No more Macadamia Nut Liqueur for me...

H

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! I agree.

B

You can make a drink similar to a B & B mist. Mix one once of it with an once of 15-y-o El Dorado Demerara and crushed ice. Sip out of a snifter. Unless you have allergies.

On 2005-10-18 21:34, Hakalugi wrote:
After just a few sips of a drink that used the Macadamia Nut Liqueur, my neck and cheeks started to swell up. I immediately took some Benadryl which seemed to help.

No more Macadamia Nut Liqueur for me...

I'm with you on this one...I had no idea it even existed!
This and orgeat I have to avoid..it really limits what I can and cannot have I guess!

P

I've modified my version of the Prince Kuhio and now the better (IMO, closer to the one I had at Plantation in Kauai) recipe is:

2 oz Macadamia Nut Liqueur (I like Kahana Royale)
1.5 oz Amber Rum ( I used Pritchard's tonight... it's pretty good)
2 oz pineapple
.75 oz of OJ
dash of marischino syrup
teaspoon of lemon juice

Served the Puhi Split at the Pre-Hukilau party last night. VERY popular! Thanks for the recipe.

A

Try the Irish Nutjob from Kahuna Kevin's "Why is the Rum Gone?"

Great drink...not too sweet like most of the other cocktails that use macadamia nut liqueur.

On 2006-05-17 17:27, pablus wrote:

I've modified my version of the Prince Kuhio and now the better (IMO, closer to the one I had at Plantation in Kauai) recipe is:

2 oz Macadamia Nut Liqueur (I like Kahana Royale)
1.5 oz Amber Rum ( I used Pritchard's tonight... it's pretty good)
2 oz pineapple
.75 oz of OJ
dash of marischino syrup
teaspoon of lemon juice

Is that Marischino Liqueur or the syrup from a jar of Marischino cherries

P

It's actually the syrup from that jar.

I'd try the Luxardo though - why not. My tastes also run more toward the bitter and sour.
Just like my demeanor.

Now shut up, I'm sulking.

[ Edited by: pablus 2011-04-22 14:42 ]

G

On 2011-04-22 14:42, pablus wrote:
My tastes also run more toward the bitter and sour.

I have a memory of you squeezing many, many, many limes at Benz's house. Just sayin'.

I have a recipe in my book that uses Trader Vic's macadamia nut liqueur. And thanks for reminding me. I need to make a new recipe for my second volume.

http://www.KahunaKevin.com

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-04-24 13:57 ]

The Kauai Hyatt adds it to their Pina Colada.

A

On 2005-09-15 19:17, pablus wrote:
Prince Kuhio

1 shot Macadamia
1.5 shot pineapple
2 shots amber rum
1/2 shot orange juice
dash of simple syrup

Per this article in Midweek Kauai, the cocktail is made with Kahlua, macadamia nut liqueur, coconut, pineapple juice and cream.

http://www.midweekkauai.com/perpetuating-hawaiian-culture/

I bought a bottle of the TV Macadamia Nut liqueur. I ended up mixing two ounces with very cold club soda, and drank the bottle over a couple of weeks. Different but good. Seemed too sweet to combine with much else.

Having a supply of Mac nut liqueur, I've read this post several times, and decided it was time to contribute. I wanted a drink that would feature the subtle nuttiness do macadamia nuts, without the cloying sweetness of many Mac nut drinks. I decided to play off the Classic Mai Tai recipe, and then we went one step further by taking our homemade orgeat recipe and making a batch with Mac nuts. You probably have to be a crazy person to make your own macadamia nut syrup, but what's tiki without a little crazy?

My Mac Mai Tai

1 oz gold rum (think Hawaiian rums)
1 oz macadamia nut liqueur
1/2 oz dark rum
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz orange curaçao
1/2 oz macadamia nut liqueur (recipe follows) or simple syrup
Sprig of mint

Shake in a cocktail shaker with ice, then serve on ice with mint.

Macadamia nut syrup

This recipe takes authentic homemade orgeat (almond) syrup and kicks it up with macadamia nuts.

1 cup whole macadamia nuts
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 oz rum
1/2 tsp orange extract

Bring sugar and water to boil, stirring until sugar dissolved. Meanwhile, pulverize the Mac nuts in food processor, but don't grind too finely or they will become Mac nut butter. Once mixture is boiling, stir in pulverized nuts and simmer on medium heat until the mixture returns to a boil. Turn off heat and cover. Let stand for at least three hours, up to twelve hours. Pour through a fine mesh sieve, tamping solids. Don't you dare waste those solids!! Make a Mac nut cake, or cheesecake, or eat on twinkles, but don't throw away candied Mac nuts! Add rum and orange extract to syrup and store in refrigerator for up to one month.

[ Edited by: Davey1107 2014-07-28 19:41 ]

H

Spent a few days in Japantown in San Francisco with the missus and came across a small Hawaiian shop. We ended up with a glow-in-the-dark ukulele and a bottle of this:

They also had a guava syrup - both it and the macadamia nut are made with sugar. There's also a lilikoi syrup that is made with honey instead of sugar.

I used it in place of the macadamia nut liqueur and simple syrup to make a Prince Kuhio. Upon seeing how thick it was I only went with a .25 oz. pour - thank god I did because it was still a bit strong. Very tasty stuff, though a little goes a long way.

S

you can do a great riff on an Amaretto Sour

2 oz. Macadamia Nut Liquer
1/4 oz simple syrum
3/4 oz lemon juice
1 egg white

shake and double strain into coupe glass

you can also do what Jeffery Morganthaler from Clyde Common in Portland does and add 3/4 oz overproof bourbon

it's also tasty to use Dumante Pistachio liqueur as a replacement

I put that in practically everything. Our "house drink" right now is a mug half full of ice, then 2/3 Sprite or 7-Up, 1/3 pineapple juice, then a splash of your rum of choice and a splash of macadamia nut liqueur. We don't go heavy on the booze... just enough to add flavour.

It was good from the source

I'm still working on how much juice
(Forgot to ask)

Trader vic's Macadamia nut liqueur and Eggnog, very good!

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••**•
MERRY CHRISTMAS from TIKISKIP!

F

Just adding another recipe I like to make with the TV Mac Nut liqueur.
By the way, in some nog at holiday time is fabulous!

1oz Mac Nut Liqueur
1.5oz rye whiskey
0.75oz Lemon juice

Shake with plenty of ice, strain and serve over fresh ice.

Yeah, it’s basically just a whiskey sour... ??

Cheers!
:drink:
Ryan

[ Edited by: finky099 2019-07-14 18:22 ]

Pages: 1 39 replies