Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ooga-Mooga: Redesigned mug pages, plus links to related items

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 199 replies

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 06:56 ]

Humuhumu, This is the coolest thing ever!!! I recently subscribed and it is soooo much fun. Thank you for such a tedious undertaking. You will get a BIG aloha hug next time I see you. Hopefully at the Hukilau!! I would really like to see something like this for menu collections. Any thoughts on this? Well, thanks again and keep up the good work. All The Best and Mahalo, Jeff

H

Thanks again for all the kind words! I would indeed LOVE to expand Ooga-Mooga out to other collectibles, and hopefully someday I'll be able to.

I've updated the home page of Ooga-Mooga, with a few new features:

Collection of the Day
Every day, a different collection is selected from the members with Standard and Trader Accounts. Through the whole day, random images from their collection are displayed on the front page. Today's Collection of the Day is Jeff Central's.

Mugs for Sale & Mugs for Trade Spotlight
On both the Ooga-Mooga home page and the All Collections page, there is a spotlight on a randomly selected item from the Mugs for Sale and the Mugs for Trade. Those with Trader Accounts are able to put up mugs for trade and advertise their eBay auctions for no extra charge!

New This Week
On the home page, you can see the last five collections that have had new items added to them, or new pictures added to them, or have received new comments.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com

Alright -- that's enough coding for me today -- back to making mug templates!

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-08-02 22:05 ]

Aloha Humuhumu,
Thanks for making my mugs the "Collection of the Day". I feel special. I have a question though. I have about another 15 mugs that do not have templates on Ooga Mooga. Is there anyway I can load these up on my site somehow? Thanks Again and Mahalo,
Jeff

H

I've just finished up something that's very fancy -- a special image that automagically changes every day to showcase a new mug from your own, personal collection! Each Ooga-Mooga user has their own image. Here's what mine looks like today:

But at midnight, it'll automagically change, and it could look like this:

or maybe like this:

or maybe like this:

Who knows? Only the Automagic Ooga-Mooga Mug Collection Image knows, and he's not spilling his secrets until midnight.

But that's my image -- your own Automagic Ooga-Mooga Mug Collection Image will look different, because it'll use the pictures you've uploaded of your own mugs (it'll choose from public mugs only).

Check it out by visiting "Fun Stuff" on Ooga-Mooga. There's code there for you to cut & paste to use as your Tiki Central Signature (with instructions on how to do that), and there's also HTML code for you to cut & paste for use on other websites like MySpace or your own personal webpages.

Jeff--any mugs that Ooga-Mooga doesn't have mug templates for can be added using a Basic Mug Template (see "Add a Mug" on Ooga-Mooga for more details). If anyone has a mug that they're wanting to put up for trade or auction, just let me know and I'll make creating a mug template for it my top priority.

Great!! Thanks alot. I just uploaded 18 new mugs from my collection. This is soooo cool!

Thanks and Mahalo,
Jeff

I was feeling proud of myself for getting 42 mugs posted on ooga-mooga, then I saw that Tiki-Kate has 240 mugs posted! Wow! Great collection!

On 2005-07-28 18:05, Humuhumu wrote:
Thanks again for all your support and enthusiasm, especially to those who have taken the plunge and gotten subscriptions. It means a lot to me that you've embraced this like you have!

you've done a great job so far...

T

On 2005-08-06 00:27, Humuhumu wrote:

But that's my image -- your own Automagic Ooga-Mooga Mug Collection Image will look different, because it'll use the pictures you've uploaded of your own mugs (it'll choose from public mugs only).

So - does this only work with pictures you've uploaded from your personal collection? I seem to not be getting my Ooga Mooga sig to show up (however, I've not paid for a subscription, nor uploaded any photos yet!)

On 2005-08-10 16:03, Tangaroa wrote:
I seem to not be getting my Ooga Mooga sig to show up

It didn't work at first for me either. I deleted and re-inserted the link a few times, and then it started working. I do not understand the mysteries of computer intelligence.

My ooga mooga image is the same as yesterday's, I guess random sometimes isn't!

H

Hey there, just got back from playing some hooky. :) I'm sorry, I did a rotten job of making sure it was clear that you have to have uploaded some photos of your mugs for the Automagic thingy to work. Once you've uploaded a few pictures of your mugs, the image will start working the next day (after the Secret Midnight Image Selection Ceremony has taken place). Later tonight I'll update the Fun Stuff page to explain that better.

On 2005-08-12 11:48, Tikiwahine wrote:
My ooga mooga image is the same as yesterday's, I guess random sometimes isn't!

If it never showed the same mug twice, it wouldn't be random!

I'm finally done. It only took about a month, but I think I've added every mug in the whole house.

I had made a deal with myself not to buy any more mugs until I got the entire collection cataloged (even the really silly mugs.) But I won a couple of auctions on Friday, so today I went through every shelf in every room.

I'm going to have to get some more shelves now though.

H

Tiki-Kate, your collection is astounding! Congrats on getting it all into Ooga-Mooga!

I've just finished another new Ooga-Mooga feature: Wish Lists! Lots of people were asking for this, now you've got it. Under Favorites, you how have "Wish List" in addition to "Mugs" and "Collections". Mugs and Collections are your way to bookmark your private favorites, and no one sees what you've bookmarked but you. Your Wish List is your way of letting people know what you're looking for, and are public for anyone to see. There are a few places to see what's on people's Wish Lists:

• When looking at a Collection: There is now a link to view that user's Wish List, it's right next to the link to view the comments on their collection
  • When looking at Mugs for Trade: For each mug that is up for trade, there is a link to view the Wish List of the person who is offering that mug
  • When looking at a Mug: If a mug is on someone's Wish List, it will appear just under the "X of this mug are in X collections" link, showing who is wanting this mug
  • When looking at Statistics: The All Collections statistics now show the Most Wished-For Mug (i.e., which mug appears on the most Wish Lists), and the My Collection statistics show the mug you own that is Most Wished-For (if any)

When a mug is wanted by multiple people, the list of people is sorted by who signed up for Ooga-Mooga first -- an incentive to sign up now!

Another incentive: the limited-time offer to lock in the Ooga-Mooga rates for two years expires on August 31. I don't have any immediate plans to raise rates, but signing up today guarantees these very low rates for years to come.

Coming soon, and largely inspired by the massive collections of tikicleen & Tiki-Kate: page breaks when viewing a Collection!

H

Some of you have probably wondered exactly how using Ooga-Mooga to sell a mug works. I've just listed a mug as part of the eBay for PJ fundraising effort, and naturally I'm promoting the auction through Ooga-Mooga.

Now, if you go to Mugs for Sale, you can see the mug I'm offering. On the right, you'll see some familiar eBay details -- all those details are coming direct from my eBay auction. Go ahead, compare against the eBay site, they're up to date! Ooga-Mooga is directly connected to eBay's servers. To advertise the auction, all I had to do was copy and paste the mug's eBay Item Number into Ooga-Mooga. If my mug had a Buy-It-Now on it, you'd be able to see that, too. All those same details now show up on that mug's page, too.

That mug also is now appearing on the main Ooga-Mooga webpage and the All Collections webpage, where it's sure to get the attention of lots of mug collectors. With a Trader account, you can advertise an unlimited number of mug auctions this way, at no extra charge.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-02 20:57 ]

H

On 2005-08-27 14:31, Humuhumu wrote:
Coming soon, and largely inspired by the massive collections of tikicleen & Tiki-Kate: page breaks when viewing a Collection!

Done!

Dialup users, rejoice! Now you can view the eye-poppingly massive collections on Ooga-Mooga without wanting to shoot yourself as the page loads.

H

Being able to see which mugs a person has selected for their collection, and even how they've chosen to photograph them, gives it so much life. Each mug in that collection has a new layer to their story because they're owned by that person. Now the About This Collection adds a little bit more personality.

If you have a Standard or Trader account, you can tell people visiting your collection page about your collection, in a paragraph of text that appears right above it. Go to Account Settings and fill out "About This Collection" to see how it works.

On 2005-09-03 21:32, Humuhumu wrote:

Done!

Dialup users, rejoice! Now you can view the eye-poppingly massive collections on Ooga-Mooga without wanting to shoot yourself as the page loads.

Great change. I'm rejoicing.

H

I realized that there has not been a Basic Template for Glassware items, so I've added that:
Ooga-Mooga Basic Template for Glassware

(Please don't go shot glass crazy! Vintage stuff works, ceramic mini-mugs fit, but modern gift shop shots might not be a good fit.)

Ooga-Mooga collections include 1536 mugs, which I find jaw-dropping. To the 100+ Ooga-Mooga users -- thank you for supporting this site right out of the gate. It's been so enjoyable to get to see all of your collections, and they've inspired me to learn so much as I create the proper mug templates for them. Mahalo!

H

I've added a new feature to Ooga-Mooga: a Tiki Quest cross-reference!

If the mug you're looking at is in the book Tiki Quest, Ooga-Mooga will list the page you can find it on in the "Other Resources" section (found under the photo on the left side). The index is still being fleshed out, but it's well underway and much is represented -- I wanted to at least get what I have so far rolled out.

A huge, huge thank you to Duke and Amy Carter, who have been so enthusiastic and supportive of Ooga-Mooga. The Tiki Quest book is a gorgeous tribute to tiki, and a must-have even if you don't consider yourself a mug collector.

Click here to learn more about Tiki Quest, including how to purchase it.

I get tired just * reading * all the stuff Humuhumu does. I don't know how she finds the energy.

H

Ooga-Mooga now has 100 collections! 100 people have put part or all of their collections on display using Ooga-Mooga. Those 100 people have 1,844 mugs in their collections on Ooga-Mooga. I think that's swell. Mahalo to all who have given Ooga-Mooga a whirl!

T

I am also blown away at how much Humu has done. Each of your sites look fantastic and are done with such a high quality of design, and usability. You and Hanford are doing such an awesome job for the Tiki culture. Thankyou so very much!

K

dito...

H

Thank you so much, Tiki Tony, your kind words mean so much to me.

H

Ooga-Mooga's latest new feature: Drink Matcher!

Ooga-Mooga's always been able to tell you the right size drink for a mug, but now you can tell Ooga-Mooga the size of the drink you want to make, and it will look through your collection to tell you which of your mugs will fit best. Look for Drink Matcher under My Collection on the right sidebar.

M

On 2005-11-01 03:23, Humuhumu wrote:
Ooga-Mooga's latest new feature: Drink Matcher!

Never try to match drinks with Unga Bunga!!! :)

UB

On 2005-11-02 16:48, mrsmiley wrote:

Never try to match drinks with Unga Bunga!!! :)

Man, I guess you got me right Smiley. Drink Master told me that my only hope for the right size mug would be an outrigger canoe.

H

Another new feature for Ooga-Mooga -- now collections can be grouped by using tags! This feature is available for Trader accounts only, so if you've been on the fence about getting a subscription (or upgrading your subscription), this is one more way that Trader accounts rock.

To group your mugs, simply go into the "Edit" page for each mug, and type your tags, separated by commas. There is no set list of tags -- the beauty of this is that you can group your mugs the way you want to. You might want to have a group for all of your skull mugs, or for your mugs from a favorite location, or for the mugs you've got in storage. Anything goes.

As an example, you can take a look at my collection:

Humuhumu's collection on Ooga-Mooga

So far, I've got a few groups -- vintage mugs, mugs that I received as gifts, mugs that are souvenirs from places I've visited, my favorite mugs, and mugs I've actually imbibed from myself.

Have fun with it!

T

On 2005-11-06 20:54, Humuhumu wrote:
Another new feature for Ooga-Mooga -- now collections can be grouped by using tags! This feature is available for Trader accounts only, so if you've been on the fence about getting a subscription (or upgrading your subscription), this is one more way that Trader accounts rock.

This is a great new feature. I had been using comments to group my damaged and destroyed mugs, but this way is much simpler.

I am having problems with one of my tags though. I've put together four different groups so far, and the first three work, but the Tiki Farm group shows 0 mugs when I click on it. Any idea why that's happening?

H

On 2005-11-07 13:25, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I am having problems with one of my tags though. I've put together four different groups so far, and the first three work, but the Tiki Farm group shows 0 mugs when I click on it. Any idea why that's happening?

Yeah, I caught that after looking at your collection -- I wasn't properly handling tags with spaces, but that's fixed now, and tags with spaces in them should work just fine. Glad you're finding it useful!

Thanks Humu, I'm having fun with the tags!

On 2005-11-07 17:23, Tikiwahine wrote:
Thanks Humu, I'm having fun with the tags!

Awesome! Yeah, the tags sure make it a lot easier & more interesting to browse through the large collections.

H

Another Ooga-Mooga improvement for Trader accounts -- now it's even easier to sell your mugs! Mugs for Sale isn't just for your eBay auctions -- now you can also put a "Price for Sale" on any of your mugs, and they'll appear in Mugs for Sale. Your mug will be listed with the price you want for it, along with instructions to send you a Personal Message to make arrangements to purchase it.

This is available to all Trader accounts, at no extra charge. The discount on new Trader accounts (first six months at the price of a Standard account) will be ending in the next few weeks -- so if you've been thinking about signing up, now's a great time!

T

Hey Kate, it looks like the mugs that were broken are the cheaper and more common ones. Its a good thing that it was those and not others.

:) MAybe it was the tiki gods that said, you can do away with the Spencer's gifts tikis. Yeah, I know, they are all your children.

It's almost renewal time for some of us. What will the procedure be?

It would be nice to have the option to be able to renew for another six months or to renew each month.

You shouldn't have to do a thing -- when your initial six months have completed, your subscription will begin auto-renewing every month. You can manage your billing details (e.g., verify that the right credit card is on file) through PayPal. If you wish to upgrade or end your subscription, you can do that from your Account Settings page on Ooga-Mooga.

For new subscribers, subscriptions now work slightly differently -- during the introductory period, while I was getting Ooga-Mooga off the ground, the first six months on a subscription were paid up front. Now that the site is up & running so well, you can go month-to-month -- that means that you can get started with a Trader account for only $5.95! If you'd rather go year-to-year, that's available too.

I also recently created the ability to purchase Gift Subscriptions!

As always, feel free to email me with any questions.

H

Ooga-Mooga has reached a cool milestone -- there are now over 1,000 mug templates in Ooga-Mooga. Some other fun numbers -- there are 129 collections in Ooga-Mooga, with just shy of 3,000 mugs! All those mugs would hold 147.6 gallons of tastiness if they were all used at once.

Ooga-Mooga has grown a huge amount in the short six months it has been in existence. I'm incredibly pleased with how it's caught on, and with the stories I've heard from folks who have loved using it, with all the neat things I've learned about mugs, and with how many gorgeous collections I've gotten to see. I wish now to make it accessible to even more people, and so I've instituted a dramatic price reduction -- a Standard account is now just $1/month (or $12/year), and a full-access Trader account is only $1.50/month (or $18/year)!

It means so much to me that there have been so many people who have believed in Ooga-Mooga right from the get-go, and to thank those who signed up for Ooga-Mooga at the old prices, I have given them a Free Lifetime Membership. If you're one of those folks, you should have a PM from me with details.

Mahalo to all the Ooga-Mooga members!

Well that just gets a great big WooHoo! from me.

I just want to thank Humuhumu again. Ooga-Mooga was such a tremendous help to me in getting my collection back in shape after the accident at my house. I never would have been able to figure out what was missing if I didn't have each mug cataloged. Also, my insurance adjuster used Ooga-Mooga to verify the replacement values on my mugs.

Apart from that, it really is a wonderful resource. I love looking at other people's collections. While we all seem to have a great many mugs in common, there are tons of different or unique mugs that Ooga-Mooga gives us all the opportunity to see.

Thanks Humuhumu,

You're the best! You have definitely done so much to help the Tiki Community. It is truly beyond words. Keep up the good work!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I want to thank Ooga Mooga for making my day at work go by a lot faster. I registered this morning for the Standard account and have been posting mugs all day (instead of doing work). Thanks!!!!!

Just so I'm clear, the site doesn't provide "stock" photos of the mugs? In order for the pic to be there in your collection you have to upload your own photo?

Thanks

There are no "provided" pictures. The templates simply give a precise description to avoid confusion. It's all very well done, thanks to the database design skills of Humuhumu! Yes, you have to use your own pics, but that's what I love most about it! I really enjoy photographing these little buggers. They're SOOO interesting and expressive! I may have to quit slumming in "free trial" mode and upgrade to standard just so I can photograph more mugs!

Thanks Humuhumu!

H

Yes, if you want your collection to have photographs, you upload pictures of your collection yourself. This is very, very easy -- much easier than posting a photo on Tiki Central. 3,252 images of mugs have been uploaded into Ooga-Mooga, creating a fantastic photo record of not just the mugs' basic appearance, but of the interesting variations between different mugs.

T

And if you want to see a good example of how a photo should look I suggest look at SilverLines photos. Those look great, just check the mug number under the his name

I just uploaded photos of my humble collection to Ooga-Mooga today. Mahalo to Humuhumu for putting together such a useful and easy to use website! I wish it were so easy to upload photos to Tiki Central. I shiver to think what it would look like around here if Shutterfly ever went under!

A-A

T

On 2006-01-31 12:58, Aaron's Akua wrote:
I just uploaded photos of my humble collection to Ooga-Mooga today. Mahalo to Humuhumu for putting together such a useful and easy to use website! I wish it were so easy to upload photos to Tiki Central. I shiver to think what it would look like around here if Shutterfly ever went under!

A-A

Maybe we should all start ordering our favorite photos out of people's collections. That would probably keep Shutterfly in business. Maybe we should all just band together and purchase Shutterfly, sort of Tiki Central Photo Annex.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 199 replies