Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Prichard's Pot Distlled Tennessee Rum

Pages: 1 17 replies

I just drank the last of my micro-distilled Tennessee 3 year old rum from Prichard's Copper Pot Still in Kelso, Tennessee. Not bad for a first bottling, and I appreciate the effort. It was like the original 3 year old expression of McCarthy's Pot Distilled Single Malt Whiskey from Clear Creek Distillery in Oregon (which to me taste like an immature baby version of Talisker). I am enjoying these micro distilled spirits from the artisanal Producers compared to the commodity brands. I believe that Brown Goods spirits just take more time in years for maturation to develop their real potential. I will love to see the results of 8 to 12 years of oak age for these small batch whiskey and rum efforts. I think Prichard's Tennessee Whiskey is superlative to Gentleman Jack. which has some similar traits.

I am still loyal to the George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve as far as Tennessee Whisky (Dickel drops the "e" like Maker's Mark does, like the Scot's do) is concerned I believe it to be the benchmark Tennessee Spirit.

The jury is out on what the end result will be for Prichard's Tennessee Rum. Only older more nuiansed expressions will tell what the end-result effort will be. A big A plus for the effort, though. Any thoughts out there?

Check out Prichard's Rum at:
http://www.prichardsdistillery.com/pages/rum.html

I realize nobody out there has tasted any Prichard's Whiskey yet as it is only in beta test mode and not being retailed or tasted to general public or even the trade at large. I just got lucky to taste it through the producer/distributor.

The real focus of my post was to focus was the Rum they produce. Like Jersey says I am verbose and long winded. Mama says I have ADD, and need to drink to control it. Off to take my medicine!

M
mbanu posted on Sun, Aug 7, 2005 5:42 PM

Prichard's rum is one of the heaviest rums I've ever had. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the heaviest rum on the market today. Aging in new barrels instead of used ones has given it more of a bourbon feel to it. Sadly, Prichard doesn't like tiki drinks. :(

For me..I don't just drink Tiki Drinks..I drink all drinks. Time and place dictates. I love Rum straight..again time and place. Trust me, I was not suggesting it for Tiki Drinks, per se.

Actually New American Oak would extract more vanilla nuance over time and soften Prichards. It is the age that would soften the "heaviness." The extracted and big mouth feel is more a result of the mini copper pot still. Smaller the still bigger the flavor. Mystery for the ages.

K
Kono posted on Sun, Aug 14, 2005 4:45 PM

On 2005-08-07 17:42, mbanu wrote:
Prichard's rum is one of the heaviest rums I've ever had.

What does this mean? I've got a bottle of Sea Wynde Pot Still Rum and to me it tastes a bit like scotch. Would the Sea Wynde be considered "heavy?" I was a bit turned off by it at first but find that I do like sipping it occasionally as it has such a unique (for rum) boozy flavor. I saw some Prichard's today and was kind of reluctant to buy it after reading this. I don't know why since I usually never listen to the advice of others anyway. :lol:

Why is it that knowledgable booze sellers will often describe a high end rum as tasting "like a nice scotch?" I've heard that more than once. When they say that I always think: "I'm not looking at scotch am I? Why would I be looking at the rum when I really wanted scotch? Is there some advantage to buying rum that tastes like scotch over actual scotch itself?" But I don't say anything. I know they're just trying to be helpful.

M
mbanu posted on Sun, Aug 14, 2005 5:16 PM

On 2005-08-14 16:45, Kono wrote:

On 2005-08-07 17:42, mbanu wrote:
Prichard's rum is one of the heaviest rums I've ever had.

What does this mean? I've got a bottle of Sea Wynde Pot Still Rum and to me it tastes a bit like scotch. Would the Sea Wynde be considered "heavy?"

As an example; vodka is light, single malt islay is heavy. light rum is lighter, bourbon is heavier. Heaviness has to do a bit with how concentrated the flavors are, which I think is related to the age and distillation proof of the spirit.

Heavy describes in spirits description the actual body weight of the spirit on the tongue NOT a flavor profile, heavy also means the same in winespeak. Describe spirit like Single malts in terms as such:
Strength: in abv%, not a personal opinion
Color: i.e. amber, straw, golden, etc
Flavor: oakiness, fruity, peaty, sweet. Again Heavy is not a flavor. It is a weight and measure of density. Do not confuse the phenolic character of Islay malts with being heavy. Peat reek and Tannic structure are bold flavor profiles, but not appropriately described heavy.
Finish: the length and persistent after effect. i.e: long, lingering, short lived

Cognac, Aged Rum, Bourbon, and all other "Brown Spirits" follow the Scotch Single Malt Whisky model of assessment, as Single Malt Whiskey is considered by the experts as the benchmark of spirits art and science. It is the connoisseurs dram as it offers the most diversity and depth of character of all spirits. Now, obviously, all that we love in Tiki is delicious tropical rum based cocktails. The reason that Donn Beach and Vic Bergeron created the Tiki Cocktail based on RUM was that it was super cheap and seamlessly mixed well with tropical fruit mixers and creams. Rum became primarily the base, because that was what these post depression barmen and style pioneers could afford, in order maximize their profit base. Rum has greatly improved in the last twenty years, as far as, quality and in it's aged expression is certainly a globally appreciated spirit by connoisseurs on its own merit. (Not mixed in a cocktail).

Trust me, Guys, not trying to be a know it all jerk here. I participate in the TC community for fun and to share and learn from others. My area of expertise is spirits and wine. It is also my business, and I have spent my adult life engaged in it. If I can help enlighten others I want to share, as my mentors have done for me. The more you know, the more you can appreciate any subject of interest. Hope it helps.

Before the Revolution, the per capita consumption of RUM in the Colonies was 3.7 gallons PER person. We have become a Neo-temperant nation of wimps and quitters! We must rise, Tiki Nation, and raise our ceramic mugs in resistance to teatotaling!

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-08-15 13:04 ]

K
Kono posted on Mon, Aug 15, 2005 4:31 PM

On 2005-08-15 13:03, Rum Numb Davey wrote:
Trust me, Guys, not trying to be a know it all jerk here. I participate in the TC community for fun and to share and learn from others. My area of expertise is spirits and wine. It is also my business, and I have spent my adult life engaged in it. If I can help enlighten others I want to share, as my mentors have done for me. The more you know, the more you can appreciate any subject of interest. Hope it helps.

Hey, I appreciate it. When I read drink reviews I usually don't understand what the reviewer is saying. May as well be in French.

If you ever have a free few minutes it might be helpful for us novices if you could describe some well known and common rums so that we could get a handle on the descriptors that you more experienced guys use. The only terms I typically use are harsh/smooth and sweet/dry. So how would you describe say Ron Rico white (the harshest rum I can think of), Bacardi Gold, Myer's dark and Cruzan light for examples. Once we get a grip on the language then maybe we could move on to other less common rums? Just an idea, I thought it might be something you could do off the top of your head. I am curious if you'd ever tried the Sea Wynde and how you'd describe it.

Do any other spirits come close to the variety that exists in the world of rum? From clear to amber to very dark in appearance and also the varieties in flavor (not counting spiced or flavored rums)?

[ Edited by: Kono 2005-08-15 16:33 ]

G

Hi,this is alora from Florida.The tourism association of Southwest Tennessee is one of nine regional tourism organizations in the State of Tennessee formed for the expressed purpose of developing Southwest Tennessee's travel industry and marketing the region to the travel public.

annika

For more details about alcohol addiction...
Tennessee Alcohol Addiction Treatment

??????????????

S

maybe i missed something in my short time here, but most folks here enjoy alcohol in moderation....so what is your point again gracy?

What the bloody heck was that all about Gracy???????

First post, probably SPAM

Gracy, thank you! I'll drink to that! I can't wait to visit!

L

You go Gracy. It seems you need a drink, yourself or perhaps have already indulged. Remember, Moderation.

K

Well, since Gracy resurrected this old topic, what does everyone think of these rums that are aged in charred oak barrels? I've never had Prichard's Pot Distilled Tennessee Rum, but I did find a bottle of the Old New Orleans Rum, and was dumbfounded when I tasted it - it tastes and smells just like whiskey. It was good, but it was good whiskey, not rum to my taste. If I wanted whiskey, I would have bought me some Jack Daniels.

Just had this for the 1st time
Wow
Good
(Love me some cran flavor)
Can't find in Vegas
Guess I'll email them n ask where I have to go to get it

It's listed on the Total Wine web site for $25.99 a bottle, but its not available in my area, and I'm just a few states south of Tennessee. Total Wine has this description of it:
Tennessee, USA - Made with pure Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice, sure to be a favorite for all seasons. Cranberries have a very delicate flavor, easily overpowered by other flavors. Bottled at 70 Proof and made to stand up to ice as a stand alone cocktail.

Four suggestions:

1. You might find a liquor store near the distillery which might be willing to ship it to you.

2. You can try WineSearcher.com where, without a membership, they'll give you a pretty good listing of places that carry it. Then you have to visit each web site and find who actually ships it to your state.

3. And finally, if you're willing to buy a case of it, you can find a store that has it in stock and arrange for a semi-truck shipping company to pick it up and ship it cross-country to you. Some companies refuse to ship booze - I'm guessing because it may be high-risk of pilferage? But I did this once for a rare out-of-production case of Oronoco rum and it worked out well once I did the legwork to find a willing company and then fill out a bill-of-lading online with the trucking company. This option may be fairly inexpensive (although I paid around $100/case delivery cost) if you can find a case in a state close to yours.

4. Possibly the most fun method is to plan a road trip over a weekend to a store in a state near you (if you find it in stock) and make a weekend out of it.

Good luck!

Pages: 1 17 replies