Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: The MonkeyPod

Pages: 1 37 replies

M

A Monkeyman Original

1.5 oz Tamarind Juice (a popular brand is Jumex)
0.5 oz Trader Vics KoKo Creme syrup
0.5 oz Tamarind Syrup (Torani is a good brand)
1 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1.5 oz Bacardi Light
1.0 oz Myers Dark

Shake with ice and pour into another glass filled with ice.

Garnish with a washed and peeled tamarind fruit and a healthy sprig of mint.

Monkeyman:

We will make your drink as we can buy Jumex Tamarindo at Food City, which is a Mexicano Grocery store less than 2 blocks from our place. We make tamarind Margeritas all the time so it is not a stretch to use it in your cocktail. We buy the pulp when we are down in Mexico, as we love the stuff.

We'll let you know after we make them.

Thanks.

TB

Was able to sample the MonkeyPod drink at Ona Tiki & Moki's party last month, and it was very good, especially liked the garnish.

TBird.

This was VERY yummy! I too had this at Ona and Moki's.

Thanks for the recipe, Monkeyman. It's now in my lil black book of cocktails !

Mahalo!

Perhaps a companion mug is in order... stay tuned.

Oooo... A MonkeyPod Mug....

• takes a number and waits patiently *

Will the Monkeypod mug include a Monkeypod drink? How about refill privliges, like when you bring your growlers back to the brewery? Mmmmmmm, Monkeypod...

JUMEX Baby! Best when fighting marlins and Dorados!

glad folks at Forbidden Island enjoyed it.

Jumex Tamarind juice is available at the 99 Cents Only store, I think they're 2 for $0.99.

TB

Man, i cant find Tamarind Syrup (Torani) anywhere around Long Beach. Does anyone know where we can get it without ordering it online, dont want to pay shipping costs.

TBird.

I got mine at the local beverages and more.

H

I couldn't find the Torani either. I bought a different bottle from the nearby international market.

O

The Smart & Final down the street from us had some last week. Let me know and I'll pick some up for you.

I had a M.P. at Forbidden Island and I really enjoyed it .
Great job Derek.
Can't find any Jewmex in Carmel.

TB

On 2006-04-26 21:01, OnaTiki wrote:
The Smart & Final down the street from us had some last week. Let me know and I'll pick some up for you.

Thanks ONa! I'll bring something to trade for it.

TBIrd.

M

Thanks to everyone who stopped by for the Monkeypod Room Crawl stop at Oasis 2006.

K
Kono posted on Sun, May 7, 2006 6:27 PM

On 2005-08-09 15:07, Monkeyman wrote:

1.5 oz Tamarind Juice (a popular brand is Jumex)

Tamarind juice or nectar? I was just looking at an online Jumex vendor and they had Jumex tamarind nectar, not juice.

Just trying to get it correct...

M

The nectar IS the juice. The only way you could go wrong is if you purchased Tamarind Punch (which is essentially tamarind flavored koolaid)

MR

What a great drink. I loved it. I really appreciated Monkeyman taking the time to deliver monkeypods to all the ohana that were stuck in the vending booths. A class act as always. Mahalo.

After personally experiencing a Monkeypod at the NW crawl, I was enticed into doing another search for the ingredients locally. Since it was so darn tasty.

Well I've found the juice, so now I'll be hunting down the syrup.

I'd also like a Monkeypod mug!
Please keep me posted on it's progress, I'd love to have one.

One Sway at a Time

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-06-29 19:14 ]

Where did you find the juice TW? I've been wanting to make Monkyman's Drink and haven't found it yet.
P.S. Monkeyman, great meeting you at the NW Tiki Crawl!

J
JTD posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2006 5:36 PM

For the tamarind syrup try your local Middle Eastern grocery. My lovely bride found the Vitrac brand (product of Egypt) after my many failed searches around the rest of the city.

JTD

Pepe, I found it at one of the markets in Chinatown. It comes in pop type cans and is usually close to the lychee juice. If you still haven't found any by the next time I come for a visit, I'll bring a six pack for you.

Gotta spread the Monkeypod love!

Thanks JTD & TW! I'm revising my search and hopefully will be sipping a Monkeypod this weekend!

I've never seen half of those ingredients....no I am really eager to try one and see if I need to add those items to my bar. :drink:

Had my first Monkeypad yesterday and it was very good indeed. Guess I will be shopping...thanks for the recipe. :)

I'm curious about the use of Tamarind juice AND Tamarind syrup. Can Tamarind syrup be home-made using the juice and sugar? Also, absolutely NO TV syrups available anywhere around here . . . what can be substituted for the KoKo Creme Syrup?

Koko Creme is the TV version of coconut creme.

I think the TV brand pours better and might be a little sweeter than the canned stuff but I suppose the canned stuff would work just as well.

I dont know much about making syrups... tamarind is a funky food to work with... its a pod fruit that has a fruity pulp around a number of large seeds...

Might be tough to get syrup from it unless you are a skilled cook.

Sorry the ingredients are so hard to find... Maybe I should put together a monkeypod kit that includes a bottle of each syrup and several cans of juice...

then the buyer would only need to supply the right kind of rum and some limes...

The Monkeypod home bar kit... so to speak.

Goya makes Tamarind Nectar -- it is in those convenient 12 ounce cans in the refrigerator section of my local bodega. I have a big bottle of Tamarind Syrup a friend brought home from Puerto Rico for me, so I will be making Monkeypods this weekend.

Good thing I saved those cocktail monkeys! I love a properly-decorated beverage...

Tamarind Juice/Nectar I can get . . . the 'syrup', I can't. I thought I might try to make the syrup using the juice and natural sugar . . . much like making a simple/bar syrup. TV syrups are not available anywhere around here, so I'll just have to make do with some version of Coconut Creme.

Ive experimented on the Monkeypod without the Tamarind Syrup and have found that doubling the quantity of Tamarind Juice yields nice results.

its lighter and more refreshing..

another tip I have found.. make your monkeypods in punch form and let it sit for an hour or more... and it actually gets BETTER..

I guess the ingredients need time to blend and meld into eachother.

Modified Monkeypod

3.0 oz Tamarind Juice (a popular brand is Jumex)
0.5 oz Trader Vics KoKo Creme syrup (or some other coconut creme)
1 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1.5 oz Bacardi Light
1.0 oz Myers Dark

Shake with ice and pour into another glass filled with ice.

Garnish with a washed and peeled tamarind fruit and a healthy sprig of mint.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-04-29 13:47 ]

P

I tried something similar to this when I attempted to make a monkey pod one time. I did not have the syrup, so I used simple syrup and incresed the juice by about 50% (not doubled). I did not have KoKo Kreme so I used Coco Real (which I use for pina coladas, blue hawaiians and tonga leis). I was not delighted with the results. I will give this modified version a try.

I've always liked this drink. That peeled tamarind fruit is weird looking.
Where's the mug?

H

MM, I just made this drink, it is pretty good but has a stronger coconut taste than I remember it having. The previous recipe was more like the one you made for me a few years back. I like the new one and I followed you recipe but it is more coconut flavored than tamarind flavored. :) I have to say it is much easier to make.

M

well just to be sure.. its HALF (0.5) an ounce of coconut and not 5 ounces.

Mmmm...good job Monkeyman! This is one damn good drink. I used 1/2 oz. Coco Lopez and thought it was perfect. I did as you suggested and made a batch. An hour is too long to wait. Thanks!

H

Just made the later version, it is absolutely perfect.

Pages: 1 37 replies