Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Custom Tiki Farm mug to raise money for TC members in New Orleans - Feedback Needed!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies

Great looking mugs, I'll definately order a set of those. Does anyone know of a site that will send me an e-mail reminder for things like this?

Those are absolutely amazing!!!

See you on the 30th, definitely!!!
--tikivixen

On 2005-11-24 13:08, sporkboyofjustice wrote:
Great looking mugs, I'll definately order a set of those. Does anyone know of a site that will send me an e-mail reminder for things like this?

Here's a few free services. I haven't tried them but chances are they're free because you have to agree to perpetual spam.
http://www.shootmeanemail.com/
http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_reminder.htm
http://www.memotome.com/
http://www.rememberit.com/login.cfm?rf=RINone

Additionally, some email programs allow you to send an email at a specific date/time. Check what you're using and maybe, just maybe, you can send a reminder to yourself.

T

I guess that there are reasons about Ebay, but the only thing that could happen is that the price for that mug on Ebay goes up in price. Raising the value of what someone is willing to pay for that mug and others like it (Tikifarm) It gets the name out more too. I'm always surprised that people are will to buy things on Ebay for a higher price, when they can buy it from the original site. Just didn't do the search. The only problem would be that people are making money off Tikifarm, selling to people who don't do the search. But then again people will be making money off TF with many of the other mugs they sell and especilly the mugs, they did sell.

Holden, you will have to tell us peroidicly how the sales are going, and keep up the good work.

the mugs are great and you guys totally ROCK for doing this!

I'm marking the 30th on my calendar...

B

I agree the mugs are Awesome! I'll be in for a set or more. Excellent job PJ and thanks TF for your efforts on this. TC is a GREAT Place.

I am absolutely amazed at what this generous man
who "IS" Tiki Farm has been able to accomplish so far.
I'm convinced that once he puts his mind to something,
there's nothing he can't do!
Thanks to Holden we finally have a chance, as a group,
to bring some real help to our "OHANA"
Don't forget...
it's tonight 11/30/05 at 6 PM!

Purple Jade's Hurricane Katrina Tiki Mug

Thanks soooo much to everyone who donated their time
and effort to help make this happen!
Now the rest is up to us

Oh and Holden...you really are the hardest working man in Tiki :tiki:

Your pal in all things Tiki ~ DawnTiki

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-11-30 00:51 ]

Damn dats an ugly mug. But that's why I love it. The design concept is BRILLIANT! Everything about it relates to the hurricane and New Orleans. BRILLIANT PJ. Can't wait to get it.

HL

On 2005-11-23 17:04, Tikisgrl wrote:
I do have a question for the computer literate folks here. How come some stuff appears when you google and other stuff doesn't? One of my favorite searches is "limited edition tiki mug" and I have found lot's of mug sites that way. Earlier you were suggesting/discussing ways to get the word out that the mugs were going to be available, when, where etc.

So my question is how do you get this to show up on google? Will it magically appear? Or is there a way to engineer it so that Tiki Mug hunters who aren't TC members can find the mug and know that it is a Purple Jade extremely limited edition very special tiki mug?

Google works by actually "reading" the text on a web page, storing it, and then comparing your search query against what it has in storage. The more times your search words or phrases appear on a site, the better the chances of it being found are. So sites that have mostly text do better than those that favor pictures, and especially those that render their text as graphics -- that one's a big no-no for searchability.

Your best bet when creating a web site is to create great content and update it often, so the search engines come back regularly. The vast majority of traffic coming to Tiki Talk, 60%, is search engines. Oddly enough, a Google search for limited edition tiki mug purple jade lists my announcement on Tiki Talk first, then two Tiki Central posts, and finally Tiki Farm's sales page. limited edition tiki mug puts my entry as the first mention of the product, on page 3 of the results. Limited edition tiki mug is a pretty common phrase, so there's a lot of results for it to wade through.

Not there's a lot of time left, but if anyone wants to help promote the mugs, put a link to the sales page in your email and message board signatures. It's an easy way to get the word out in a non-obtrusive way. Also, suggest Tiki Farm's page or my entry to popular blogs like http://www.boingboing.net. Getting a story on there puts the word out to couple of hundred thousand people.

Just a friendly reminder that the Purple Jade Katrina Relief Fund mug sale happens tonight at 6:00pm. I'd like to thank everybody who is participating in advance! I'd also like to put out a very special thank you to Dawn Tiki (Dawn Guercio) for all of her hard work & assistance with this project. Dawn acted as my liason and behind the scenes assistant on this project. She even offered to come and pack the mugs if it meant more money for PJ!! Now if that isn't Aloha, I don't know what is!! Thanks a million Dawn!
Mahaloz,
Holden

D

I was charged $60 for the mugs (before shipping, tax...). I bought the mugs anyways but then I clicked the cart button after my order and it was $50. Did anyone else have this problem?

P

I tried to order more than just the mugs, but once you hit "continue shopping" and order something else it forgets all about the other order. You can't seem to merge the purple jade order with any other. Oh, well. No killing two birds with this one. Just the PJ mugs and place another order later, I guess.

K

Holden,

Thanks for the opportunity to participate in such a wonderful offering. It is a beautiful gesture of fellowship. The PJ mugs are fantastic and I will proudly tell their story over the years, to those who ask......

Karbora

D

On 2005-11-30 18:19, TikiTrevor wrote:
I was charged $60 for the mugs (before shipping, tax...). I bought the mugs anyways but then I clicked the cart button after my order and it was $50. Did anyone else have this problem?

No problems with my order, my transaction went smooth as silk...what did the final sale price say in the confirmation email Tiki Farm sent you?

C

I, too, tried to order other items & it would create separate cart & not let me merge the 2, so I just stuck with the Purple Jade mugs for now

The PJ mugs are on a separate cart because the shipping calculations (signature required) are different. Order separately and I WILL combine your orders to save you on freight!
M...
H

M
Moki posted on Wed, Nov 30, 2005 7:20 PM

Yay!!
Just got our set. Great job guys!!!
Hope you sell lots!!!
Aloha

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

I received an email from Tiki Farm and they said I was one of the first to get processed and it was accidentally entered at 60, not 50. They only billed me 50. Since I was one of the first, hopefully i'll get a low number!!!!!

On 2005-11-30 21:59, TikiTrevor wrote:
I received an email from Tiki Farm and they said I was one of the first to get processed and it was accidentally entered at 60, not 50. They only billed me 50. Since I was one of the first, hopefully i'll get a low number!!!!!

Hey Trevor,
Thanks for the follow-up. The email was actually sent by our webmaster who, about 30 seconds or so into the sale, realized he listed a set at $60 (vs. $50). I did a quick review & I think you're approx. # 23... GREAT GOING!
Mahaloz,
Holden

Many mahalos to Holden for taking the time and effort to do this for PJ, and to Dawn Tiki for her help.

Second, there's a shout out on one of the net's best bloggy-things, boingboing.net.

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/30/tiki_mug_to_benefit_.html

Sweet! Somebody here must've submitted this to them....Tikifish, I'm looking at you! :)

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot 2005-12-01 00:22 ]

HL

Just saw the post on Boing Boing!

Nice going, whoever submitted the link! I've tried to send suggestions to them before with no luck, so I didn't want to jinx it on this one.

The picture shown below is all of the PJ Katrina mug orders received up to 11:58am today. Each page represents a new order...

A lot of ALOHA in that stack of papers!
Mahaloz,
Holden

Holden,
How many mugs were requested and paid for? Is there going to be a second run? Thanks for the great communication!!!
SoccerTiki

T

Just got mine!

D

Times just about out, only 1/2 an hour left! Thanks everyone who participated :)

H

whew! Got my order in just under the wire. I feel terrible about not getting ads up for the mugs on my sites -- the sale hit right in the middle of my big move, and we only got my computer working about 30 minutes ago after a loooooong tech support call with Comcast. :( I hope the sale has been boffo, it certainly sounds like it has been. Looking forward to getting my mugs, but not as much as I'm looking forward to the day when Purple Jade gets her life back. Hang in there, PJ.

K
kauno posted on Fri, Dec 2, 2005 8:51 PM

Amazing job on the mugs Holden, can't wait to receive mine. It's great to see everyone coming together, ohana is such a great thing! Thanks to all involved.

Kauno - Trader Extraordinaire

tikicargo

Aloha,
Well to start off... WOW! With the current prebookings it's pretty massive. Yes, TC'ers and a whole lot of other people really stepped up to the plate. AMAZING!!! A MASSIVE SUCCESS!!!

My words to Kristi...
Thank you for your emails but you must know how much you are appreciated and loved by your Ohana. We are a tightly knit community and perhaps this project shows it more than any ever before. I will not say much more except for one word... ALOHA. It is what we are all about. THANK YOU TC!!!

Mahaloz,
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather 2005-12-02 22:42 ]

I ordered mine today. Thanks to everyone involved in this for the wonderful opportunity to help someone while getting a cool product. Its the best example I've seen in awhile of how an internet community can have a very real and positive effect on peoples' lives.

Hey there Holden, I'm dying to know just how big this was. Even a ballpark figure of mugs prebooked would be nice. Thanks again to you and everyone else involved for taking on this project and getting it moving so quickly. It will be nice to see what the power of TC is (for good and not evil purposes of course, that is unless anyone is interested in making a 50 story Tiki Robot with laser eyes and turbo death punch). Thanks again.

T

On 2005-12-03 08:03, sporkboyofjustice wrote:
Hey there Holden, I'm dying to know just how big this was. Even a ballpark figure of mugs prebooked would be nice. Thanks again to you and everyone else involved for taking on this project and getting it moving so quickly. It will be nice to see what the power of TC is (for good and not evil purposes of course, that is unless anyone is interested in making a 50 story Tiki Robot with laser eyes and turbo death punch). Thanks again.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17526&forum=15&0

I'm interested in a giant tiki robot. Instead of laser eyes, can it shoot pressurized tiki drink-like acid?

On 2005-12-03 10:38, TikiJosh wrote:

I'm interested in a giant tiki robot. Instead of laser eyes, can it shoot pressurized tiki drink-like acid?

How about some 151 spraying out with electric ignition flame thrower style?

Anyway thanks go to Holden for posting the results of the sale.

T

On 2005-12-03 19:25, sporkboyofjustice wrote:

How about some 151 spraying out with electric ignition flame thrower style?

Sweeeeeeeet......

I'm happy to say that we overnighted Kristi a check for $8,039.24. Big Mahaloz to TC and all others who participated.
Holden

Just be a good person and live your life graciously. Oh and by the way... Tiki rules!

[ Edited by: smogbreather 2005-12-21 00:56 ]

B

Is there an ETA on these guys?

M

On 2006-02-04 06:23, badmojo wrote:
Is there an ETA on these guys?

A renegade? Interesting. Last I talked to Holden (2 weeks ago) he was waiting to get the tags back for these so they could get sent out to us. This one on ebay dosen't look like it's a finished mug, it doesn't have any of the gold paint on it. I don't have a clue whats up with this. Holden could you shed some light???

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2006-02-12 22:27 ]

Holy factory inside job!
IMHO, of course. :wink:

If you read the description in the auction, it has a manufacturing flaw (a chip under the glaze on the rim). Perhaps it was deemed unsuitable for sale, and Holden sent it to Where The Bad Mugs Go. Since it doesn't have gold paint yet, I'd guess that the other 6 hundred some-odd mugs are currently getting painted and/or waiting for their green partners to get glazed & painted.

T

Where would that place be that the not "good" ones go???

B
Bete posted on Tue, Feb 14, 2006 10:28 AM

To All Concerned,
I found out that the mugs are currently shipping and within the next 2-3 weeks, all orders should be filled.
Yeah!

T

Did anyone notice that the auction has been ended? The item is no longer available for sale? Any thoughts?

Tikisgrl

J

I think the agents from "Where The Bad Mugs Go" tracked down the escaped mug and brought it to its rightful home.

I've got one coming and a little space cleared out for it. This one will put my collection at 11 (this mug collection goes to 11 - bad Spinal Tap reference, I know). Looks like an expanded Ooga Mooga account is in order. Thanks for lowering the subscribing price Humuhumu!

I just got my tracking # emailed to me. Looks like a Friday delivery...My guess is many of you should be getting them soon. Too cool!

I cannot wait to get this mug, maybe it will arrive just in time to celebrate Mardi Gras!!!!

T

I got mine today.....Very nice!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies