Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Hooptylau 2005 October 15th.

Pages: 1 2 3 110 replies

MT

Hiltiki, some mysteries are best left unsolved.

L

Actually "Mai Tai" himself is perhaps one of those mysteries that is best left unsolved.

H

Mai Tai curiosity is killing me!

Here's the official greeter of Trader's Jungle Outpost....yeah, yeah, California Cartooooon Style on Acid, Say Hello to my little friend

Designed by The Great Chongolio

JT!!, That, my friend, is AWESOME! Too cool, ya nailed it baby.
Lookin forward to spockin' it in real time.

Count Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com
Kamapua'a the Hawaiian Pig God http://www.piggod.com

On 2005-10-09 18:09, the drunken hat wrote:
if you want to set a tent up at our place that is fine with me. just know that you will need to be in town a little earlier saturday to get on the vans.

Where and when do we meet up? Nobody's mentioned it on this thread.

L

Nice carving JT - I guess it is not meant to double as a bar stool.

MT

On 2005-10-12 18:20, limptiki wrote:
Actually "Mai Tai" himself is perhaps one of those mysteries that is best left unsolved.

Limpy,
I'm gonna turn you over to Woodsy the Witco Owl, and let him deal with ya. Hoopt-Hoopt! He's gonna move my e-bay voodoo curse onto you, buddy!

MT

On 2005-10-12 19:17, hiltiki wrote:

Well, Once upon a time, there was a limp tiki, who was a spokesman for Wendy's. He had a catchy slogan, called "Where's the (Oystah) Beef?" There's even a catchy little song written about him:

*** :music: :music: Limpy the Red-nosed Tiki
Loved to order Oyster Beef
But to the waitress at Minnie's
He gave nothing but lots of grief... :music: :music: ***

Maybe someone else can remember the words to finish this song?

M

On 2005-10-13 16:53, Mai Tai wrote:

On 2005-10-12 19:17, hiltiki wrote:

Well, Once upon a time, there was a limp tiki, who was a spokesman for Wendy's. He had a catchy slogan, called "Where's the (Oystah) Beef?" There's even a catchy little song written about him:

*** :music: :music: Limpy the Red-nosed Tiki
Loved to order Oyster Beef
But to the waitress at Minnie's
He gave nothing but lots of grief... :music: :music: ***

Maybe someone else can remember the words to finish this song?

Buy me the drinks Saturday and I'll be able to finish it!! :)

JT and Chongo!
It's about time you guys put your talents together.
A beauty JT!
My loss guys, work will not allow me to come this year.
Please know that I'll be drinking a mai tai in your honor that night.

You will be missed UB.
Catch ya' on the rebound.

sorry to hear you can't make it unga! we'll have to catch up with you another time.

one more day everyone!!! hooooooopty hooooooopty!

On 2005-09-15 08:59, the drunken hat wrote:
hey i almost forgot if you want to make it a weekend i was thinking if we have a group we could go to stockton for drinks at on-lock sam's friday evening. it is a cool old chinese restaurant with a lounge built in 1964. they have pretty good cocktails. one of which they call a mai tai but is something totally different but good.(if that makes any sense)

mahalo,
scott

i think we are going to save a visit to on-lock sam's for another time.

maybe we will go there for a future central valley meet up.

don't let the bus leave without me!

[ Edited by: the drunken hat 2005-10-14 08:18 ]

Ah hell! A hooptylau with out Unga is like a tiki mug with no little paper umbrella. We will toast to you Unga and then raise are fists and curse at the man. Those anti tiki bass terds will get theirs!

Chongolio, a monkey for the people.

T

Wish I could have made it tonight but work is busy after my long absence. See y'all tomorrow! Unga, you'll be missed. HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU! HOOPTYLAU!

Hmph, no Hoopty UB is definitely JUST WRONG. Maybe that van needs to make a coastal field trip for a boss-thumping and an Unga-napping.

Er, I do have what I think are your exciting visor and blinky necklace thingy from the Hukilau home bar tour, though, Unga.

Okay, home from Hukilau and somewhat recovered from the SINGLE MOST CLAUSTROPHOBIC plane ride of my life, I have made a reservation for the Best Western Townhouse! See you Saturday!

I don't know if I'm going to dress down, though. I just got the prettiest tiki dress off EBay and may just have to wear it. I've tried to talk Bill into a really loud 60's shirt (with GIANT hibiscuses), khaki shorts, white socks, black shoes and horn rims, but I think he'll only do it for me, you know, privately. :)

Mind you...my so-called "pretty" Hawaiian dress would probably horrify most normal people, though. Hmmm...

I just don't fit into my 80's Thatcher-esque 'power suit' at the moment, unfortunately, or I'd wear that. I did see some of the most HIDEOUS 80's teddy-bear themed clothing in Fort Lauderdale thrifts, but I can't. I just CAN'T go there, sorry...

meow, tikivixen

tikivixen - you will look gorgeous no matter what you wear!

I have a couple of trashy and/or tiki trashy outfits in mind, and I still haven't decided yet. I'm thinking pleather...

see you all tomorrow!

Speaking of "What shall I wear?" The temperature forecast for Saturday night is a low of 49 degrees, a little nippy for me. I don't mind a quick dash between Minnies and the HooptyVan, but will the other places be toasty warm or outside and chilly?

On 2005-10-14 12:11, ookoo lady wrote:
Speaking of "What shall I wear?" The temperature forecast for Saturday night is a low of 49 degrees, a little nippy for me. I don't mind a quick dash between Minnies and the HooptyVan, but will the other places be toasty warm or outside and chilly?

tiki lounge and minnie's should not be a problem. we will be indoors at both. we'll be at jt's before dark so there should be no problem there either.

our bar is not real big (12' x 15'). the overflow is our patio. it is covered and the wind is usually blocked by the house. we will have our fire pit going too so it should be comfortable out there.

hope this helps everyone.

don't let the bus leave without me!

[ Edited by: the drunken hat 2005-10-14 13:15 ]

ladies of hooptylau: i would bring a sweater to accessorize your hoopty outfit. lately, the weather has been beautiful here. but a little system is passing through on saturday that will bring some sprinkles to the north of us. i, for one, am eternally cold so i always bring a light coverup where-ever i go. i suggest you do the same, unless you are from san francisco and are accustomed to the cold. or if you plan to be ungabunga drunk. :)

kevin my dear, you will be sorely missed.

M

On 2005-10-14 13:14, the drunken hat wrote:

tiki lounge and minnie's should not be a problem. we will be indoors at both. we'll be at jt's before dark so there should be no problem there either.

our bar is not real big (12' x 15'). the overflow is our patio. it is covered and the wind is usually blocked by the house. we will have our fire pit going too so it should be comfortable out there.

hope this helps everyone.

I hope the bottom doesn't fall out of the fire pit this time!! :)

On 2005-10-14 14:12, mrsmiley wrote:

I hope the bottom doesn't fall out of the fire pit this time!! :)

ha ha! wouldn't that be appropriate at the hooptylau though?

49 tiki degrees? NOT. Maybe at 5 in the morning. The weather has been beautiful lately. Besides, nice weather or not we won't be in any condition to know.

MT

We're headin' out, to get our Hoopty on right now! Sandals, black socks, and all. HOOPT-HOOPT!!!

Hey Guys, thanks for the live call from the Hoopty bus! Made my night man (had to go thru some heavy stuff today)... have a drink for me and I'll do the same down here.

Hope everyone is okay and safe today.
Martin, you are the funniest guy I've ever known. Perfect Hoopty outfit and acting job.
We had a real Hoopty incident as well. Only in Modesto. I'll let someone else elaborate.
Thank you everyone for coming and thank you Scott and Colleen.

cleen and i just wanted to thank everyone for an incredible evening! we really had a great time and look forward to seeing everyone again real soon. may the hoopty spirit be with you all year long!

i want to extend very personal thanks to martin's central valley cousin who paid a visit to the dark marq. perhaps he can attend the whole evening next time!

and last but not least an apology to the jab, my booze brother, who went missing from the hooptylau for a while. i think the shock and confusion of the hoopty-van having the gas siphoned from it may have contributed but that is still no excuse on our end! publicly i say i am truly sorry for the mis-communication.

we were so busy driving and hosting that we did not take any pics. so if you have photos please post them here!

thanks again everyone!!!!!!

cleen and dh

Thanks so much to Vic and family and hat and collen for such a great time.

Martin i'm afraid that you may have to bring your cous Billy Ray Buffet with you from now on. I knew you were talented behind the bar but thanks for many heart laughs.

Tikihula - what can I say? Thanks for kicking down a great tiki--someone was hoping I wouldn't be able to fit it in my car.

I think a new program is in order. NO JAB LEFT BEHIND!!!

When we found out that the missing Jab got a room at the Townhouse we found out Where Would Jab Dream. Earlier at the bar we noticed What Would Jab Drink.

The photos are coming. Be patient. The when you see them, you will wonder why you asked.
Thanks to martiki for recommending the "Jerk" at Minnies.

Krustiki and I had a great time! Now we know how they party Central California.

Here's a few pictures from the day:

THE HOOPTYLAU SONG

© 1948, 2005
Lyrics & Music: Jack Owens, Mr. Smiley

Oh, we're going to a hooptylau
A hoopty, hoopty, hoopty,hoopty , hooptylau
Ev'rybody loves a hooptylau
Where the "JERK" is the work of the bartender!

We'll throw our dollars right onto the bar,
but save some for later in case they've siphoned you car!
Oh, we're going to a hooptylau
Where the "JERK" is the work of the bartender!

He was sitting at the bar wishing
The bus would pick him up
After an hour or so of swizzle swishing
The Jab figured he's out of luck!
Oh, The Jab was going to a hooptylau
Where the "JERK" is the work of the bartender

I had a great time! It's always a party at the central valley.

I feel bad Jab got left behind. Who was his Hoopty Buddy? I guess not everyone was in Girl Scouts, where you get assigned a Buddy, and you always keep an eye on where your Buddy is, especially when boarding buses and siphoning gas...

Special mahaloz to drunken hat, cleen, jungle trader and tikihula for their amazing generosity.

:lol:!!!

Fo Shizzle that was some hooptyness like I ain't ever seen. Another big ZAZZ going out to the Drunken Hat and Tiki Cleen for all there effort puttin this together and drivin'. Also a big thanks to JT and his ohana for hosting and giving me a place to put my little monkey noggin at the nights end. Dr. Z good to see ya again and thanks for the no hangover pellet packs. Those things are awesome! Big RAZZ to the Jerkies who tried to run off with our gas. Glad to hear that The Jab was not a victim of a shanghai and now a part of the Mootown siphon crew, you had us worried man. It was also a real honor to meet Tiki Cleen and The Hats neighbor Cuzzin Clem. (Funny how his breath smelled of gasoline though.) It was great to see all of you again, I had a blast hangin' out, drinkin'and eating Chongolian Beef and Al-amari. One more big thanks to Tiklihula for all the awesome prizes and the DVD. Here are some of my pics, enjoy!

http://homepage.mac.com/chongolio/PhotoAlbum11.html

Chongolio

P.S. Hey Limptiki, you never todl me wear you got your shirt, I simply must have one!

K

Is this Al looking at his bar tab?
All I kept saying is put it on that guys's tab.
4 Jerks = Head Rush.

Good song, eh! we'll sing it next year I hope!!!

I think this is my favorite tiki event. I just love being at Minnie's with such an incredibly fun group of people--and Jungle Trader's amazing oasis and Tikicleen and The Drunken Hat's incredibly atmospheric home bar, the Dark Marq...even The Tiki looks better every time I see it, especially now that they're gradually putting up their old mask collection again!

There's something truly vintage about Hooptylau, too. Didn't anyone else have a moment there where it seemed entirely possible that thirty or forty years ago, a happy horde of Alohawear-clad partyers descended upon Minnie's en masse and tippled themselves silly? We are upholding a tradition here!

It was great to see Ookoo Lady and Krustiki and Dr. Z in their FAAABULOUSLY hoopty outfits--I love it when the wonderful SoCal ohana venture northwards to party!! And it is always fun to see folks experience Minnie's for the first time.

I'm gonna let the pics speak for themselves where Martiki's charismatic Central Valley cuz is concerned!!! I'm still laughing.

Scott, Colleen and Mike the Tiki Benefactor--your generosity is unparalleled. I owe you guys a billion drinks...hey, maybe at HUKILAU '06! if not waaay before.

As if all that tiki goodness weren't enough, we had a great breakfast at Turlock's Googie gem Latif's the next day...AND, I found three gorgeous Hawaiian dresses in Stockton on the way home! Dang!

But Dangergirl is right...next time, we each get assigned a "Hoopty Buddy"!!! good grief...sorry, Jab! :(

Here's a link to my Hooptylau Fotki album:

HOOPTY!

And here's some visual tidbits of delight:

Al and his lucre loose in Modesto!

"Hoopty, man, hoopty."

JT's oasis by moonlight

The REAL Minnie's crowd

"Whutchu sayin' ta me boy??"

hugs to all,

tikivixen

Perhaps it is still a mad pipe dream, but I fantasize about ENTIRELY taking over the Modesto Tropics and The Tiki at some mythical future date. I mean, hey. Problem tenants? Unpleasant clientele? The answer is simple: crowd them out! If we fill the entire damn hotel, who could conceivably bother us?!?

Heck, we'd probably SCARE everyone away. Yes, we are "THE TIKI CULT"!!!

K

Funny, Hanford kept telling me that to drink the Jerk, I had to first practice siphoning gasoline. You know, suck on the hose until the gasoline reaches you mouth and then stick the end into his car. I then had to follow it with a Jerk. 151 is a great chaser for 91 (octane).

M

What a blast- Rebecca and I had such a great time. Mucho mahalos to Hat, Cleen, Vic, Cheryl, and Mike for everything.I just wish I hadn't passed out when we got back to the Dark Marq, because it looked like a lot of fun. I hope my cousin wasn't too much of a pain in the ass. He can get a little rowdy at times. But he wanted me to tell everyone that he's available for weddings and bar mitzvahs.

Lots of excellent pictures will follow shortly.

Whenever you're watching a Jerk get made
You gotta be careful, they're siphoning away.
Don't keep your eyes on the jukebox
or the stuffed pig's head
Keep your eyes on The Jab
He's kinda sneaky
Just keep your eyes on The Jab!

Chongolian BEEEEEEF!!!!

H

Man, I love Hooptylau! What a great time, with some of our dearest friends. Many, many mahalos to the drunken hat & tiki cleen for making it all happen, and for being our sober chauffeurs for the evening. Mahalo also to Jungle Trader & his wife for opening their lovely home to us. Tiki Hula deserves some mighty mahalos for offering up many wonderful prizes, any one of them would have made a great grand prize, his generosity was truly amazing. Mahalo to the hoodlums of the Central Valley for providing the just the right Hoopty touch to the evening's festivities. It's the buddy system or bust from now on -- we were all a bit panicked when we realized that our dear jab was on the loose on the mean streets of Modesto, wearing naught but white pants and a wee beach robe, his chest hair exposed to lord knows what sort of abuse from the gas-fume-crazed Modesto natives. Minnie's was fab as always, though they could use a few more lightbulbs! I nearly burned the joint down in an effort to make enough candlelight to read our menus! Despite its strange allure to men whose taste I otherwise love & respect, the crazy curly hair is not going to become part of my regular repertoire of hairstyles -- my Modesto 'fro & jumpsuit is only for Hoopty, baby!

L

In reply chongolio - you have to either join the french navy or get to know a french sailor real well, sorry I can't tell you which route I chose.

T

Humu, I think it's that whole Marilyn fetish we all have :)

HUGE mahalo to Scott and Cleen for a beeeachin' time: Jungletrader's place is so nice I almost asked them if I could move in- mahalo to them for hosting- the sushi and open bar really hit the spot. Great to meet more TC members for the first time. I'm glad I could make so many friends happy by adding to their tiki decor- hope everyone enjoys their prize.

Lastly, does Billy Joe Bob, Cousin Clem, or whatever his name was do weddings? The entertainment value was unparalleled! :D Martiki you're the best!

Looking forward to next year.

T

On 2005-10-17 16:09, martiki wrote:
Whenever you're watching a Jerk get made
You gotta be careful, they're siphoning away.
Don't keep your eyes on the jukebox
or the stuffed pig's head
Keep your eyes on The Jab
He's kinda sneaky
Just keep your eyes on The Jab!

Chongolian BEEEEEEF!!!!

I would change that to: Keep your eyes on the bus!

MT

Wow, what a weekend! Hooptylau is like one of the best Tiki Central events ever! Fo shizzle!!! Much thanks to Scott and Colleen, for all of their efforts and generosity! And to think, they couldn't even drink since they were haulin' our sorry drunk mugs all over the place! Hats off also to Vic and his wife, and to the amazing generosity of Mike and Alia - man, I am still in disbelief of all the wonderful prizes that they donated!

And of course I'm now paying my pennance - I now officially have a full blown cold. Had to call in sick to work today! Hope I didn't spread it around to anyone. Hoopt-Hoopt!!!

I really had a blast hangin' with my homies and gettin' to know some more T.C.'ers as well, like Ookoo Lady and Krustiki (who kept callin' me "Smoky Tiki" due to the Hoopty paraphenelia I was sportin'). Always great hangin' with Dr. Z, Chongolian Beef, Limpy the French Roast Tiki (sacre bleu!!!), Hanford & Humu, Mike & Alia, TikiVixen & Bill, Conga Mike & Denise, Smiley, and everyone else that I can't remember right now. And of course a big Hoopty Doo to Cousin Clem. (Except for that damn Jab. Try as hard as we could to ditch him, and he still turns up for breakfast!)

Geesh, I brought Cuban cigars to smoke, and they went untouched. I wasn't up for smokin' them as I was a little under the weather, but hey guys, next time just dig in! I'll save them for the next event. I'll upload pictures tonight and post them tomorrow. In the immortal words of Hoodsy Owl, I Don't Give A Hoot!!!

M

I was really happy with all the shots I got, so forgive me for the long photo post. The rest of the gems can be found here: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8CYuGzhw3aMPq

The World’s first “Double Isaac”!

M

Some more gems from Conga Mike:

Pages: 1 2 3 110 replies