Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Hooptylau 2005 October 15th.

Pages: 1 2 3 110 replies

Sorry for the short notice but i've been trying to get a straight answer whether i had vans or not for the last freakin week!!!! here we go:

ALOOOOOOOOHAAAA!!! I finally got all of the details hashed out and it is official that 2005 Hooptylau will be on October 15th. We have dropped the Whanga rei this year though so sorry mrsmiley there will be no bull to ride!

We have added another spot that I’m sure everyone will enjoy. Trader’s jungle outpost is open and ready for its TC debut. This is our tentative route:

Stop#1: Tiki lounge and the Tropics Motel. A great A-frame tiki bar on the same property as the Tropics motel. The tropics was a Ken Kimes venture built as a sister motel to the tropics in Palm Springs. These two structures and the root-ball tikis on their premises (carved by Ed Crissman of Oceanic Arts) are great examples of the penetration of Polynesian-Pop into main stream/small town America in the 50’s and 60’s.

Stop#2: Trader’s Jungle Outpost. All of JT’s hard work has really paid off in one tikified backyard! Pupus and drinks will be served at his beautiful home oasis.

Stop#3: Minnie’s. Established in 1954 by Hop Louie, Minnies has a great collection of original black velvet paintings as well as oil paintings. They also have several vintage carvings as well as some many new ones. We will have dinner as we did last year. Just remember confucious say: if you order OYSTER BEEF you must eat OYSTER BEEF!

Stop#4: The Dark Marq Room. The bar is OPEN! I will put together a menu of fine tropical cocktails for your drinking pleasure. There will also be a new original cocktail for folks to try!

Sound like fun so far? Well we aren’t done yet! Here’s what else you’ll get!

1. A designated driver to haul you around the whole night.

2. A special one of a kind tiki necklace by Tikitony.

3. A poker run for prizes. Top 5 poker hands will win a prize. We will play a bit differently this year though. We are going to play hold’em style. The first hand is included in the initial cost. You can buy a second hand for $5 when we pass out the cards!

4. A “scariest/ugliest/hooptiest” aloha shirt or dress contest. Prize is TBD. here is last years winner in all his glory!

5. Hanging out with 20 other tiki-philes.

Can you really put a price on all of this!?!?

Well, unfortunately I have to and due to an increase in the cost of the vans and gasoline it is a little higher then last year. The total is:

$30

Here is how you sign up:

First, payments must be remitted through my PAYPAL account: [email protected]

PLEASE LEAVE ME THE FOLLOWING INFO IN THE NOTES FIELD WHEN YOU SEND YOUR PAYMENT:

** Your TC name **

Your real name

Your phone number

Where you will be staying

Your address if you need the coupon for the motel

please leave this info for everyone you are paying for*

Second, payments need to be received by October 9th. On or before the 9th (if we reach capacity earlier) I will send out a mass e-mail with the critical information that you will need. This itinerary will give all of the times for pick up and more detailed info on the crawl.

Here are some motel options:

THIS IS THE RECOMMENDED PLACE

1. Best Western Townhouse ~ 209-524-7261

This is where martiki and thejab stayed last year. It is clean, safe and 2 blocks from Minnie’s. If you stay here CONTACT ME. I have $7 coupons I can send you.
RATES: single $73 double $83

1. Days Inn ~ 209-527-1010

Clean and safe. Not within walking distance of Minnie’s.
RATES: $79

1. Chalet 209-529-4370

Right across the street from Minnie’s but not as safe as the other 2 options. If you are fond of people on bicycles hanging out in your motel’s lot at 2 am this is your place! A true hoopty experience! RATES: $50

1. Suburban lodge 209-524-7331

This place looks clean from the outside but I don’t know anyone who has ever stayed there. It definitely could be a total dive. It is between the tiki and Minnie’s. RATES single $52 double $62

If you choose to stay somewhere else besides these places please make sure the motel is on or near Mc Henry Ave. we only ask this to keep the pick up and drop off process as simple as possible.

If you have any questions you can contact me by here on TC or my e-mail : [email protected]

Many mahalos and we look forward to seeing every one here in the 2-0-9!

please post here on this thread once you have paid. thanks again

DH

I'm ALL in!

I hope leather pants count as "trashy" enough for the contest...

H

I've stayed at the Suburban before -- I'd say it would count as a dive in most any other city, but by Modesto motel standards, it's pretty middle-of-the-road. Not as, uh, "nice" as the Days Inn, but less of the this-could-be-potentially-life-threatening vibe than the Chalet & the Tropics.

Man, y'know what? The Budget Inn experience during Hurricane Jeanne in Ft. Lauderdale last year still has me too squicked out to stay in dive motels. shiver What's happened to me?

A

In.
Mahalo,
Al

MT

hiccup!

hey i almost forgot if you want to make it a weekend i was thinking if we have a group we could go to stockton for drinks at on-lock sam's friday evening. it is a cool old chinese restaurant with a lounge built in 1964. they have pretty good cocktails. one of which they call a mai tai but is something totally different but good.(if that makes any sense)

we can also use the vans on sunday to go to a group lunch/breakfast at either a&w, latif's or the chicken kitchen. all i ask is every who goes helps out with the gas and i will drive!

mahalo,
scott

T

Count me in for Friday night if I can get there in time with the traffic.

me too

:music:Walk right in,
sit right down,
daddy let your hair hang down.:music:

:music: Everbody's talkin' bout a new way a walkin'
Do you wanna loo oose yo mind? :music:

JT and Drunken Hat and Hoopty-gang! I hope we (Manuman and I) can make it this year. I enjoyed the hell out if it last year...I want OYYYYYSTER BEEF!

In and paid for!

Oh dear, I'm going to have to find a parrot shirt or something. Either that, or an 80's power suit. Now, THAT would be ghastly.

Don't know yet about Friday, but I'm extremely interested. It's just that we'll have been home from Hoopty, I mean Hukilau, for barely more than a day and I may just want to lie around the house soaking up the comfort of it all. My strange obsessive love of Stockton may get us out after all, though. We'll see.

Re: motels...the Suburban's okay. It smells like curry, which isn't a bad thing. Humu, I once ran screaming from an utterly foul motel in Fort Bragg. Try mega-crawlies AND the room smelled like a giant, stale ashtray. I didn't even get as far as the bathroom!!

However, 'tis neither the roaches nor the foul stench whose memory makes me shiver in eldritch horror even to this very day, some twelve years later. Nay...I speak of that most dreaded of all aesthetic monstrosities: the hideous late 60's mustard yellow, brownish-orange and pea green color scheme. Uh, with a nice layer of decorative filth on top, of course.

Anyway, yeah, I think we should all camp out at the weird little dive motel in Ripon (is it the "BluLite" or the thrillingly named "Ripon Motel"?) and sneak around the cemetery next door at four am, drinks in hand of course.

Well, or not. :wink:

hooptyvixen

DZ

Well, to paraphrase the great Charles Shulz:

Indeed, the Good Doctor is "IN"!!

I'll be travellin' up with Krustiki & OokooLady (via taxi, bus, train & the generosity of the Drunken Hat) and we'll be stayin' at the good ol' Best Western. (Gosh, tempting as it sounds, I think we'll pass on meeting up some of Modesto's 'less-than-finest' this time around...) Can't wait to see JT's Outpost and the venerable Dark Marq (featuring what is undoubtably the worlds greatest collection of Stockton Islander artifacts), and of course the legendary Minnie's and the Tropics. Also lookin' forward to seein' some of North & Central Cal's finest (read: notorious) TCer's! Looks like we might miss the bookends of Friday night & Sunday brunch, but we'll be there for the bulk of it - looks like I gotta start priming my liver!

So. Cal Hoity Toity's REPRESENT!! :wink:

PS-- TikiVixen: the 4 AM Graveyard run sounds promising - keep me in mind for it!!

In case there was any doubt I am now signing up officially for Saturday night. I wont be able to get out there Friday. Hey D-hat, I will zap you some cash sometime in the very near future. Always lookin' forward to the hoopty hoopty hoopty hoopty hooptylau.

P.S Did I hear somebody say Ukulele freedom Jam? Strum 'um if you got 'um.

M

It's on like Donkey Kong.

I hope to be there.
Last year was great.

i'm down with a little uke jam at either my place or vic's. bring your uke if you got one!

vic's may be the better venue for me cause i won't be slingin booze there. what do you think vic?

Bring it on. Vixen can sing like a bird right along with you.

Wish I could make it up there, but I'll be there in spirit, along with my hand carved drift wood necklaces! Here's the hang tags for Hooptylau '05.

they look awesome tony! we wish you could make it too btw. thanks for all your hard work on them!

T

Yeah, I just realized there are typos on the story, I'll fix that asap.. ooops.

MT

Coco Loco and I are in, and all paid for. 8) I'm gonna start resting my liver now!!!

M

PAID!!! now I gotta get me a tattoo!

Nice job TT, that looks sweeter than a halloween goodie bag.
Drunken H, moneys are comin' I am just practicing my "procratinating Monkey" style of kung Fu this week.
Hi.....YAAAAAA,
Chongolio

Does anyone want to split a hotel room? I'm poor and unemployed, so otherwise I can't go.....

IN!

The Tsunami Wombat will be with me.

ok here is list of folks who have paid:

dangergirl
al-ii
dr z
tikivixen & krikitiki
martiki & rebecca
chongolio
ookoo lady & krustiki
tikihula & alia
mai tai & coco loco
mrsmiley
thejab
humuhumu & hanford
the congas
limptiki

this is just a reminder that there are only 3 spots left. don't get left off the vans!

to those that have paid and those who have not yet sent payment: i will send an e-mail with the itinerary on or before the 9th if i sell out the event.

mahalo

dh

(edited to update list)

don't let the bus leave without me!

[ Edited by: the drunken hat 2005-10-03 15:16 ]

[ Edited by: the drunken hat 2005-10-06 13:50 ]

Make that "4 spots left"...Mr & Mrs Conga Mike are in !!!

The Minnie's Tiki Mug will be available to buy at the Trader's Jungle Outpost. 35 green frog skins each. As you can see by the images below, "MINNIE'S" has been engraved on the backside of this new run, of which there is only 100, also with a new brown metallic glaze.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-08-07 16:20 ]

L

I regret to inform all involved that I have just paid... Unga I'm hoping to see you there, Vic I hope to have a Cuban for you.

MT

On 2005-10-01 10:33, Chongolio wrote:
Nice job TT, that looks sweeter than a halloween goodie bag.
Drunken H, moneys are comin' I am just practicing my "procratinating Monkey" style of kung Fu this week.
Hi.....YAAAAAA,
Chongolio

Hey Chongolio, don't forget to bring your monkey underwear! :P

On 2005-10-06 11:14, limptiki wrote:
I regret to inform all involved that I have just paid... Unga I'm hoping to see you there, Vic I hope to have a Cuban for you.

Schweet! I'll try to bring a good stash of Cubans as well. And I'll have Chongolio bring you an extra pair of monkey underwear.

On 2005-10-06 11:14, limptiki wrote:

its about time! it wouldn't be hooptylau without the creator of the whole OYSTAH BEEEEEF incident!

L

That reminds me Mr. inebriated chapeau, if I am banned from Minnie's after last years incident may I hang out in one of your plush vans and smoke with chongilio?

in answer mr flaccid polynesian god no one is banned from minnie's. everyone is welcomed!

H

On 2005-10-06 14:21, limptiki wrote:
That reminds me Mr. inebriated chapeau, if I am banned from Minnie's after last years incident may I hang out in one of your plush vans and smoke with chongilio?

Banned from Minnie's? Try immortalized! Never has OYSTAH BEEF! been in such high demand. It's the new taste sensation across the nation!

Yeah Limpy, glad your gonna make it. I will put a can of spam, a bottle of rum and some matches in the van just in case the Minnie's management decides to play the "Oystah Beef" card.

Mai-Tai, I don't ever attend a Tiki event without my monkey boxers they keep me fresh well into the night. Sorry no extras, they are to good to share.

Unga, where ya at ya crazy fool?

Chongolio

On 2005-10-08 10:25, Chongolio wrote:
Unga, where ya at ya crazy fool?

Fort Lauderdale. Still waiting to get word (from work) on attending Hooptylau.

there has been some talk about a possible tent city cropping up in the backyard of our house. if you want to set a tent up at our place that is fine with me. just know that you will need to be in town a little earlier saturday to get on the vans.

i will get an e-mail out tonite so look for it a little later on if you have paid.

mahalo

dh

LL

Ok-We thought that after Hukilau we would be too tired and too broke to go and we are. BUT...Now we want more than ever to go. Are there tickets left? If tent city is happening that would make it even easier for us broke Fresno tikis.

On 2005-10-09 21:48, Larry Lava wrote:
Ok-We thought that after Hukilau we would be too tired and too broke to go and we are. BUT...Now we want more than ever to go. Are there tickets left? If tent city is happening that would make it even easier for us broke Fresno tikis.

aloha larry! yes there are a few seats left. payment info is on the first page. i sure hope you two can make it!

dh

DZ

AAhh... The Hoopty-countdown has begun!!

In case there was any fear/concern, rest assured: Even far from home, The Good Doctor cares for the health and well-being of his fellow revelers and will be bringing plenty of his "Not-Quite-Patented" Hangover Remedy, so that all Hoopty-ers will have a fine Sunday morning!

(Oh, and being a Hoopty-newbie, what is this legendary "Oystah Beef" incident I keep reading about?)

while your here for the visit be sure to ask limptiki about it. he loves to recount the incident!

H

I guess those of us not going to Hooptylao will never know what the "oystah beef" incident is.

MT

Hey, is there any kind of Hooptylau shirt for this event? I know's it's kinda last minute and all. But I'm ready to hoopty it up! Woodsy Owl says "Give a Hoopt - HOOPT-HOOPT!!!"

Also, do any of the motels have a bottle opener mounted in the bathroom? To help me open my 40? 'Cause that's my kinda place.

On 2005-10-11 18:23, hiltiki wrote:
I guess those of us not going to Hooptylao will never know what the "oystah beef" incident is.

i would encourage all of you inquiring minds to pm mr limp and ask him. he does love recounting it and all.

honestly there really is no way to describe it without an audible recount of the incident. if you ever run into one of hoopty folk ask us and we'd be glad to explain!

mai tai ~ just wear the loudest aloha shirt you own. see the example on the first page. also i'm sure vic will be selling his t-shirts at his house. not that they are hoopty or anything.

MT

On 2005-10-12 08:18, the drunken hat wrote:
i would encourage all of you inquiring minds to pm mr limp and ask him. he does love recounting it and all.

Even if you know the story behind the "Oystah Beeeef!", I encourage you to pm Limptiki about it anyways. Over and over again! I'm gonna pm him about it right now!

L

Whatever happens at the hooptylau, stays at the hooptylau. Seriously though- my memories of that meal are quite foggy, so it would best be told by another attendee, partly because my own pathetic state must be part of the joke.

H

Like I said we will never know what happened at the "incident".

Pages: 1 2 3 110 replies