Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Bosko 9/24/2010 new Art pg 10

Pages: 1 2 3 4 171 replies

M
mieko posted on Fri, Apr 25, 2008 7:38 PM

Wow Bosko - incredible as always!! Great mask at the bottom. :) I hadn't seen the Whale Watching piece either, I really like it.

I'm happy to say that you are the one who inspired me. Keep on inspiring Bosko.
Did you ever complete the water feature?

Great stuff, Bosko.

Where in Japan is the first piece going to reside?

Love that subtle use of color on the second two.

I wanted to add, that lately I have been obsessed with getting my work as closely symmetrical as humanly possibly and then you post the PNG shield/mask and blow that concept out of the water. That's a good thing. Deliberate and perfectly imperfect.

Bosko, nice! that muther was huge ehh? I like the I'm soo cute expression of your face. LOL!!!

On 2008-04-25 18:39, TIKIBOSKO wrote:

But first last month saw this monster (1 meter across 3 meters tall) get carved for a job in Japan, I had to make a front and back which were channeled, each piece weighed 1400 lbs, the mouth got hollowed out in Japan and they are planning to put a fire “feature” inside. Because of the size and weight I had to work on the thing while it was laying on the ground and then had to have the back head dress match up to the front.

THIS is the Bosko stuff I personally dig. Can't go wrong with contemporary traditional. I'd LOVE to see this sucker installed.

P

bosko, is the cat still abailable? i love your stuff and you. meeting you and your family is a very fond memory for me.

bittersweet (because of me), but the fondness is true and honest.

Wow! Incredible stuff. But I have to comment on the Maori-esque piece. That is really a look I like, that added, super-subtle blue and green highlight totally works on me! I will be copying...errr...ahh, I mean, inspiring me to do something like that!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 26, 2008 10:35 AM

Hey BOSKO, welcome to TC. Nice stuff for a newbie. Looking forward to seeing more stuff from you. :wink:

That's a massive work of tiki, Bosko. Really nice work, and congrats on the successful match up work on the front and back.

Did you have that log ripped at a mill?

Gotta be a tough carve when you can't stand it up and take a few steps back to eyeball it.

Shipping costs have gotta be insane on that.

Nice work on the Maori and New Guinea inspired pieces also, love the touch you have with the color treatment.

B

Nice stuff Bosco and it's Great to see your stuff posted here on TC. I know it's hard so thank you. That Japan piece is Awesome!

S

Great Scott that's a big sucker all right!
He looks great.

I would love to see the fire coming out of the mouth?

Fancy meeting you here!

Thanks for sharing some in-progress pics.

A very happy fellow went home with a couple of your fine redwood masks from our tent at Tiki Farm last weekend. Aloha to Truus! Sorry I couldn't make it out to the Rancho as planned. We'll get in sync before summer hits!

Amazing as always. I love when you bust out the really big pieces like that. Simply one of my favorites here in the world of tiki.
Cheers.

wow so cool big is always good keep up the good work

Big N Bootiful!
Thanks for taking the time to show us some new stuff.

K
Kahu posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 11:37 AM

I will keep it simple.

AWESOME!

Hey everyone thanks for the wonderful comments I am not the most tech savvy guy. For me posting pictures is like turning an aircraft carrier around, cutting and pasting every ones names in Word takes more time than carving a Tiki.
That said I have tried to comment to you below if my humor sounds weird forgive me I don’t/won’t put those smiley face things after a joke.

tikiskip

Hey Skip thanks, we remember you guys it was you who told me that Kahiki mystery girl story (unless that was another Skip with his wife)?

mieko

Thanks so much Mieko, hopefully we’ll have a big group of the wood art pieces done by July, I’ll post more as that deal gets firmed up.

Jungle Trader

Hey Vic I have to keep you youngsters on your toes, but it was very invigorating doing that piece I am very much onto following the raw form of the wood.
Tiki-Kate

It went to a restaurant, once they send me an address I’ll post it, the crate went to Toyko

Tiki Diablo

The photographer said think of Tiki Diablo and that’s how I got the expression! I couldn’t stand straight and was hunched over for a week following all that carving, thus the funny look.

Billy the Crud

Billy the Crud thanks, as soon as they send a photo I’ll post it, my next piece is more contemporary than traditional, you can take a look.

pdrake

Hey pdrake thanks, it’s certainly a night I’ll never forget, that cat went to someone here on TC but we should have others coming soon.

surfintiki

Thanks for saying so I’ll be looking out for it.

GROG
Newbie? I’ve been averaging 2.8 posts per month since 2004.

Lake Surfer
Yes it was big but the secret is to use big tools! A redwood log that large would cost more than a new car (at least the ones I know about) for times sake and since I was on a deadline we decided to go the most complicated route possible, laminate each 6X12 together with glue and wood pins that expand inside the hole. Don’t get me started about the shipping but once it left here it went directly to the airport and was in Japan the following day or night?

Benzart

Hey Ben thanks it means a lot coming from someone of your expertise.

seeksurf
If they send a picture I will post it, we always ask but most of our jobs leave and I never see them again.

hodadhank
Hey Hank I heard this is where all the cool people meet! We’ll see you one of these days.

Matt Reese

Hey Matt thanks, as you know I love doing the big pieces but they take a toll on my rapidly aging body, but on a happier note your place looked pretty fine in Tiki Magazine!

tiki beat by marcus thorn
Thanks and yes big is good there are more large pieces in the planning stages.

congatiki
Thanks no problem.

Kahu
THANKS!

Some of you may have noticed we stopped using palm a while back and went to exclusively redwood, a whole other post could be filled regarding that. But we recently found a local log supplier and he has huge pieces of cedar so now we can get 16 feet long 4 feet wide (and smaller) at that size they weigh a ton but that is what we are concentrating on in the coming weeks, although not 16 feet long.
Again sorry I don’t post more I only tend to write when I have something to say or respond to. I have kids and a whole other art thing going so time is not my friend.

Take a look at today’s effort actually the last three or four days.

You can also take a look at why I am so busy and what we found in the chicken coop,

and my new profession, Steve Erwin's replacement.

My Very best Alohas,

Bosko

Krikey!!!!

DANGER DANGER!

J

Terrific carve, it is always a treat to see you post!

S

Another great size and only 3 or 4 days wow
nice work.

Nice catch! Oh the tiki is great too.
If you ever start a tutorial thread on working with redwood I'll be listening.
Cheers.

Hey Matt first a tutorial on snake catching, that was the fourth one this year (a record for this early in the season) I found a 6 foot brother of the one in the photo the next day, they seem to be all over the place for whatever reason.

Bosko

That's a little scary. What kind of snake is that anyways?
Great photos. You should do a voodoo postcard.

H
harro posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2008 6:05 AM

Crikey alright!!

Love those big tikis man. Your backyard is amazing.

Those japanese must have a lot of coin to be shipping that big heavy sucka all the way across the pacific!!

keep it up mate and look forward to more pics from you.

cheers,
harro.

Hey Matt I think its a gopher snake but I'm no herpetologist, there is a snake around here that looks just like it which I'm told is called a "bull" snake, it imitates a rattle snake, it makes the sound with it's mouth and shakes it's tail, very fascinating.
Thanks harro.

Bosko

That snake carving is VERY realistic - excellent work! Nice tiki as always!

Yeowza! those are some biggun tikis! VERY nice work. I love your Moai garden too. very lush with tiki goodness.

Aloha BOSKO!!!

I have been a fan of yours for some time now and this new piece (Ku ) is incredable another piece of carving magic from you. I know we all would love to see more of your excelent work, Mahalo for sharin with us and Aloha your friend, Mooney

Ahoy here are a few more new cedar pieces, we have them up on our website if your interested and if anyone from Tiki Central is into buying one we'll give you some sort of decent discount.
It looks like I am doing a show at M Modern (Palm Springs) this July so I am thinking all Witco style wood art pieces, I may be posting some of those as that gets closer.
We are going back to the log supplier soon and I plan to do some large non-Tiki sculptures.

But below are the Tiki carvings...

Below is one of my Hawaiian modern interpretations, it runs about seven and a half feet high.

Just plain California modern, I have another larger one I am working on today.

Wood Easter Island Moai, I am planning to do some large versions of these.

The next two are front and back of a big 9 foot plus totem style, I did a "story" that runs up the back.

Thanks for looking and all the great (previous) comments, I have to get back to work.

My very best Alohas

Bosko

dejevu.

I had a dream about those tikis last night!!!

Dreampt they we heavy!!!!

On 2008-05-14 21:22, RevBambooBen wrote:
dejevu.

I had a dream about those tikis last night!!!

Dreampt they we heavy!!!!

THAT was heavy, brother Ben.

J

I really like the "story" on the back of the tiki.

Mmmmmm I could gofer snake. (budump bump, hey is this thig on? tip yer waitress) I miss the the BBQed rattler cooked to perfection @ the Lamberville Station on the Delaware river. Heck freeze that sucker for me will ya?

A bull snake is also known as a gopher snake...either way creepy critters. I think we are in for a long hot summer filled with snakes. :o

Tiki totem is awesome awesome awesome. :)

Bosko, you continue to be my favorite tiki carver. Awesome !

Aloha everyone here's the four pieces we sent to the big Tiki art show (for Hukilau) at the Harold Golen Gallery in Miami.
Take a look if you are there and say hello, if your not busy Saturday at Hukilau I am doing a Tiki talk which should be interesting.
In fact I have to get back to work on it right now.

My very best Alohas

Bosko

Awesome stuff, too bad the Hukilau is so far away. Would love to see some stuff which has been posted here recently in their whole beauty instead of photos.

Bosko, I like all of your creations, but the framed moai in the canoe is way cool !

Bobo

Such a good style...so well done...LOVE 'em!

S

Great, Outstanding, Classic stuff LOVE IT.

H
harro posted on Thu, May 29, 2008 6:27 AM

yeah that moai in the canoe is outstanding - classic Bosko, just awesome.

Would love to hear you talk about tiki one day.

That 9 footer with the story on the back is damn cool too.

Bosko, all these new pieces are super tight! I love the mood that they set with the colors and the character of the tikis. Your grasp of perspective on a flat carving adds so much action to the pieces. Again, great work on all of them, they are wonderful works of art.

Great stuff Bosko, I love your minimal use of color.

T

Bosko, I just discovered your web site this evening and I love your work!! I will be ordering some goodies for my future tiki bar (currently in the "gathering stuff for it" phase). I have a question for you, did you do the mask carvings for the Tiki Farm bars? I just recently bought one of the earlier bars and the matching shelf unit that goes with it (both with the wooden masks) and the masks bear a strinking resemblance to your work. Thanks!

MR

Great stuff. The story on the back of the big one is a really nice touch. It eliminates the ol' "put the tiki's back into the corner" thing. The classic Bosko look in full effect! Always a treat and inspiration seeing your stuff.
Cheers.

killer stuff bosko!

B

Bosko, Thanks for the Mug and the time taklking, sorry I took you away from your customers. Sorry too I didn't get the time update and was late to your show, what I saw was Great and I was Really disappointed I missed the first part. Come see us again, you're Welcome Anytime.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 171 replies