Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikis by Mooney...Monday 6/9 New Tongaroa pendant and more

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 262 replies

Hi, I'm Jimmy Mooney andhave been unable to log on since last years hurricains totaled my home while I was at Hukilau.
Finally just got my house rebuilt and still don't have an online account yet so am at a friends . Heere are some tikis and masks I will have at Hukilau.

Thanks for lookin, See ya at Hukilau.

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2008-06-09 08:14 ]

Welcome to TC. Glad to see that your safe and your home is rebuilt.

Those are great carvings, yet another reason to be sad about not going to Hukilau.

nice looking tikis, there Jimmy... i'm glad to hear you are getting squared away on the home front. good luck at Hukilau!

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Oct 4, 2005 1:05 PM

You may not have the internet, but you sure do have nice tikis.

Those carvings are really nice... Sad story about your home. Hope your new will last

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Oct 4, 2005 2:09 PM

Jimmy, Welcome to TC! Sweet carvings man. Glad you found us. Glad you have a new home, and that you are safe.

Are you attending this year?

Excellent stuff there! Thanks for the effort to post 'em.
Pitty party for Rodeotiki and I, who are NOT going to see them in person!

Welcome moomeytiki. Good to see your safe. I love your masks keep up the good work.

I'm glad you landed on your feet. And nice stuff. Did you use enamel to paint the volcano?

B

Nice stuff MooneyTiki, (sorry I spelled your name wrong). You have some excellent tikis and your carvings have improved Dramatically over the last year. Got More for Huki???

FA

MAN that is some great stuff, I hope you sell it all to the Hukilau Ohana!

F
foamy posted on Wed, Oct 5, 2005 5:19 AM

Those babies are sweeeet! I have an idea you're going home without any wood to carry.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 5, 2005 6:10 AM

Really sweet carvings there. The lighter ones really show off the subtlies in the grain - bewdaful! Really dig that volcano mouth too - sweet

Welcome to TC. Good to hear everything is on the up and up. Good luck a huki!

MooneyTiki-

I like-um I like-um I like-um ...

I'm in Hawaii - how can I get one from you?

Awesome work!

MTM

Mooney, your tikis ROCK!

F

Mooney, I've seen your tiki's locally, sweet stuff. You must live close to Jensen/Stuart?

Welcome and thanks for sharing

Palm City Tiki

[ Edited by: flacookz 2005-10-06 18:10 ]

S

These are great. I especially like the masks you have done. I love the Tikis we have here at home as well.
Love ya

F

great to finally meet you at Hukilua. How did the event go?

aloha to all. I want to thank you all for your very kind words. thanks for the stoke filled comments from , Rodeotiki,palama Tiki,teaKEY,turbsickboy,McTiki,Surfintiki,tiki by marcus thorn,Raffertiki,Benzart,FezApe,foamy,hewey,Aarons Akua,Flacookz and MaiTaiMafia, Much Mahalo to you all, and it was GREAT meeting some of you at the hukilau this weekend and I hope to meet many more in the future.
MaiTaiMafia,I will try to send you a e-mail today,but if I mess it up you can reach me at [email protected] ,,, or 772-631-1075. thank you all again and I look forward to rapping with you all on tiki central, aloha for now , Mooney

R you holding out on us? You must be carving. Come on Mooney...share?

Aloha Palm city tiki (mike)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO my friend i havent been holding out on you,but i still dont have phone lines in my house yet,so i can only respond when i am at the firehouse working . I will try to get some pics out soon. I have a 3ft tiki almost done and a 6ft lono almost finished. Did I mention that the big logs are highly overated to work with when the only mule you have is yourself, but I'm making them to stick in front of the 3 8"x8" wood columns on our front porch. To all my friends keep carving and having fun, Aloha ,Mooney

C

Great work,I love your style!!!!!

Im just a litle guy... But I would always help a fellow carver. Move, haul or just a rooting section.

Aloha palm city tiki!!!!!
thanks for the offer of help! I appreciate it my friend. I will let you know if I need some help. Benzart and i are doing some hunting and gathering today(looking for some meaty logs) to carve some phatty KU's for our house.Aloha my friend, Mooney

L
Loki posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2005 5:00 AM

Mooney,
I really like what your doing with the masks...especially the nose and head dress...looking forward to meeting you sometime (we locals have to unite soon)....

Aloha loki! Thanks for the comps.I try to have fun carving. I'm busy trying to get mask orders finished by christmas as well as other tiki carvings and a 6ft lono that Benzart is helping me with for our house. I'll try to post something soon Aloha to all and be safe and have a happy holidays, aloha , Mooney

Hi mooney waiting to see more keep the wood chips flying.

B

Yeah Jimmy. Bring on some more pictures and I'll post'em up for you.. I know you're workin on some new cool stuff.

Aloha!!!!!
Thanks copotiki,marcus,and ben,Big Mahalos to you I am trying to put some pics together and finish some carvings to show, Mahalo again for the support and the inspiritation , aloha to all your friend Mooney

KK

Aloha Mooneybrah!
Pono bruddah! Some miki'oi kine carvings, very very nice! Im impressed with your work and sorry to hear about hurricane/hale troubles! I wish you da best and keep up the good work!

Mele Kalikmaka!

Here are a few I am working on now.

L
Loki posted on Tue, Dec 27, 2005 11:30 AM

Wow! You really have a great style. I like em!

Hope you can make it to the Tiki Jam on Jan 14th.

B

Jimmy, these are REALLY Looking Awesome. That big KU is really gonna be Killer. Thanks for the visit today. Bring us More Tiki!!

very very cool stuff Mooney...what type of wood are you working with...thickness...etc...
very nice indeed.....

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 27, 2005 4:30 PM

Ditto. Man those are great!

-Gman

J

Very good stuff! I spent a long time looking at these. I like the layout. It looks like pine (which as a northerner I love to carve). One or two piece(s) looks like it could be dimensional lumber, or did you cut the blanks yourself?
JP

B

I can answer some of these ?'s for Jimmy. The wood is Dimensional pine 2 by's from Home Depot, cut to length of usually 3 to 5 feet and cut to a 30 degree angle lengthways and then glued and pegged together. after carving, he will add cross member supports on the back of the carving . Good old douglas fir or pine, which ever Home Depot carries. JImmy is starting to use more chisels and gouges in his work and is trying to get away from the cartoony look of years past.

Aloha to all!!!!!!
Loki,thanks for the props. I am trying to come down to the jam but might be working at the fire house.
Benzart,Much thanks to you my friend.I've learned so much from you and i keep eating from the learning spoon!
Congatiki, as ben stated its yellow pine from the depot. I am really looking for KOA to work with to put much more polynesian love from my heart into my carvings. much thanks for the comps my friend!
Gman, thanks for the comps my friend and keep slaying the wood
JohnnyP, as ben stated what i use. I take the pieces home cut them on an angle,glue em and set em in a homemade form overnight. Then i dowell the top and the bottom with glue and leave em over night.3rd day i freehand draw what i want on one side of the mask then the other side. No patterns just a pencil ,eraser and a tape measure.

I have to let you all know i was given the idea by Benzart and inspired by his mask that i saw 1 and a half years ago at the hukilau. To all of you my friends keep having fun and let the wood chips fly, Aloha, your friend , Mooney

Looking good Mooney! I really like the clean lines , and deep cuts.

Mooney, your style is really crisp. Great idea using the angled stock wood to get all that depth. Nice designs!

A-A

Aloha to all!!!!!!!
Raffertiki thanks for the nice words my friend! I hope the warm winds flow your way soon .
Aaron's Akua, mahalo for the comp my friend, I am trying to get thicker stock and I have some logs that i am going to split to be able to go deeper with the cuts. I have 2 be careful not to carve through the wood right now.
Happy Happy Happy new year to all!!!!!!!! and to all be SAFE!!!!!!!!!
Aloha to all my friends, Aloha your friend , Mooney

TG

Moon you rock! Looking sweeeet there bro. Happy New Year!

Yes, they are lookin' beautiful. Great idea for wood too.

Mahalo Tiki G and SurfinTiki!!!!
I appreciate the good comp flow! I have been busy at work and with the kids, but im trying to carve today. I have to crank it up i have an art show in feb,so i'll post some pics(thanks to benzart for posting them for me)so i'll udate soon , A very Happy New Year to ALL and may the best come to each and every one, Aloha , Your friend , Mooney

A
Alldo posted on Sun, Jan 8, 2006 6:57 PM

Looking good Mooney! I like your style. Keep up the good work.

Mahalo Alldo!
I appreciate your nice words , I almost have the ku , lono and two tiki poles and a couple surf paintings finished. Ill post son, Aloha to all and keep slaying the wood and having fun, Aloha, Mooney

L
Loki posted on Mon, Jan 16, 2006 5:38 AM

Mooney, Cant wait to see them...i have always admired your style. Sorry we missed you this weekend. Next time though you better make a mess of my driveway. :lol:

KK

ALoha bruddah!
Just saw your latest! Really pono carvings brah! great work indeed my bruddah! keep carving and lets see da buggahs when theyre done!

Really nice stuff cuz!

Malama Pono!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 262 replies