Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikis by Mooney...Monday 6/9 New Tongaroa pendant and more

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 262 replies

All great work Mooney! 'Specially like the rootball guy... wish I could get my hands on one but he'd have to stay indoors. The climate here would be hell on him.
Hope you guys have settled into your comfortable weather season... we're counting the days until the white death returns here for the winter.

Keep up the surf/tiki stoke!

Mahalo, Benzchart,Pappythesailor,lake surfer for the nice words.Very much appreciated.
I have a few more carvings and paintings reciently finished and others on the way.Aloha, Mooney

Ku Tiki Mask almost finished.

Surf painting with cypress wood frame.

J

Very nice.

How did you get the surface so smooth on the rootball tiki? Every curve flows into the next.

Thanks JohnnyP , I strip the skin and sand the entire tree before I start carving and go from there.Aloha, Mooney

T

Wow, cool mask - that's really excellent!!

That mask is killer. Great texture and flow. Bravo!!

B

This mask is amazing: the design, the chisel texture. Simply perfect.

Bravo.

S

Mooney, top of the line carving going on.
keep the pic's comming.

B

More nice stuff Jimmy, your hairy balls are really show stoppers :lol: :lol:
I should be back to carving next week if you want to slide on over!

Aloha ,to all!!!
Thank you for the nice words,T Big T, AlohaStation, benella, seesurf, Benzart and others. I'm glad that you like the carvings and paintings and I appreciate it.
Below is a Relief carving of a surf scene on Mahagony from a falllen tree from Hurricane Wilma. I just finished this carving a couple weeks ago. I hope you like, Aloha your friend, Mooney

Aprox size L 36",H 16", Thickness 2". Another "Rootball tiki almost finished" pics to come.

T

!!! Geez, that's freakin nice! I like the way those palm fronds are swaying or curved.

Do you have another pic of that one standing up so we can see the top better? :)

Wonderful stuff Mooney....I really dig your Ku mask and the relief carving is
excellent. Compliments to the ar-teeest!

S

Hella ya I love it. Man how small are the carving tools to do that
level of detail?

Beautiful work Mooney!

Closeup please!

Thats excellent! Glad to see you posting more.

Aloha to All!!!!
The Big T,congatiki,seeksurf,Lake Surfer and Aloha Station for the warm and appreciated words.
I know it's not a TIKI carving but with me Surf is part of my persional Tiki Flow. Thats what makes each and everyone of us different in our Tiki Flow and what makes it all GOOD.
I'll post the finished KU Mask pics this week and another RootBall Tiki that I just finished on Friday.Aloha to All, Your friend , Mooney

B

Jimmy, I Really love that beach scene and also the one you're working on now. You're getting behind in posting your pics and your tikis are getting SO Good, C'Mon!

Aloha to all!!!
Ben,thanks for the nice words I appreciate it.
I hope everyone had a Nice holiday.
I have a couple finished carvings (finalllly)and some new stuff on the way ,Aloha to all!!!
Finished Ku Mask.

pics of a gate I built out of Bamboo on the side of our house.

New Lono aprox five feet and change tall

[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/3800/4787d4ab.jpg[/img

S

Ya he is looking great! Nice work.

Mooney, stunning detail on the mask! Back in '04 when I met you your work was top notch. This is over the top! Beautiful!

The Lono is great work also... clean, unmistakable Mooney style.

Miss your posts, but if this is why, keep on carving!

B

More nice stuff there Mooney. Love the Lono you are working on now and he Looks Great in person. Thanks for stopping by the other day, Always glad to help you dull a few toolz. I Likes your Bamboo fence too, Where'd you find the Bamboo?

Really like that Lono.... great design on the headdress!

Just found your thread and... Hells Ya on that last relief carving! Makes me wanna grab my board and head for the water. I too am interested on what chisels/sizes you used on it.
Thanks for sharing.

K

Very cool Lono!!!

Excellent stuff Mooney. But that doesn't look like Mahogany. What else do you have cookin?

H
Heath posted on Sun, Jan 13, 2008 8:03 PM

Great carve!
Definite inspiration to finish one I've got going.

Aloha to all!!!
Seeksurf,Thanks for the comp,much appreciated my friend.
LakeSurfer , Yes ive been a bit busy with family,house work,working at the Fire Dept, and Carving in between it all ,Thanks for the nice words and keep those cool carvings coming!
Benzart, Very humble my friend. I'm just trying to get better and I thank "you" very muchfor your help and inspiration,thanks for letting me leave some wood chunks in your driveway!
Davez Tikiz, I Appreciate your nice words.
Keigs20, Thank you for the comp.Your carvings are amazing, thanks.
Aloha Station,Thanks Tom much appreciated,Yes I have the mahagony coming real soon just trying to finish this lono and a couple other carvings and paintings,thanks
Heath, Thanks Heath, Finish that lono my friend! you have some sweet carvings going on,Aloha your friend , Mooney

Aloha to all!!!some progress shots of lono.hope you like.

My 2 helpers,cost me 2 frosties from wendys for their work.

I love everything about it!!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Craig

Jammin' headdress! Looking great!

He's a real beauty Mooney, Classic stuff all the way. Looks like you
are getting a little help there too!

B

WOW, my friend !
This Lono is so cool ! I love it.
How will you finish it ? Stain or natural ?
Very good stuff.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

H
harro posted on Tue, Jan 15, 2008 4:41 AM

Hi mooney,
this is another awesome tiki - each carving of yours is so different from the last but they are all top quality - I love em! Keep it up!
cheers,
harro.

T

Man, that is one sweet Lono.

S

He is looking better and better love this carve
NICE WORK!

B

Jimmy, I Love how this guy is coming out, that Headdress is gonna be Spectacular!

Aloha to all!!!
Tkikfreak1,Surfintiki,Congatiki,benella,Harro,Tahitiki,Seeksurf and Benzart,I am humbled and thankful for the nice words much appreciated!
I have a surf carving ust finished and a Ku mask in progress,I hope you like,Aloha your friend , Mooney
Surf carving out of walnut aprox 2'6" wide and 8" tall

Ku Mask out of Hawaiian Koa 3' tall aprox 10"wide

Mooney! Super nice! The mask is just top notch!
And the walnut surf scene is real elegant in that dark wood.
Where do you go to get your koa from? And the walnut?

Oh, by the way...I've surfed Jensen when it looked liked that!! :)

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2008-01-17 09:08 ]

T

Gorgeous wave carving, this is a really cool piece, I love the mask too. Awesome carvings

I have to say, Mooney, that you're one of the better Hawaiian style carvers here in my opinion. Quality work, man..

Excellent!! You've been holding out. That wave carving is superb! and the mask!!

Aloha to all!!!
Surfintiki, I bought the Koa from winkler woods in Hawaii.The Koa cost me 175.00 but for me it was worth every penny because of all the Hawaiian soul that Koa has.The black walnut (well I confess)The politicaly correct way to call what I do from time to time is trash can Engineer , but my wife and our kids call me a DUMPSTER DIVER. I see one mans junk as a treasure find and I recycle it and this piece of walnut came from an dresser so I thought I'd carve it so now it's a wave sculpter,Mahalo for the nice words
Tahitiki,Thanks for the comp I appreciate it, but My friend YOUR carvings are Aweasome!!!I really love your latest it is incredable!
Basement Kahuna, You are a incredably talented carver, Ilove seeing your carvings and I am Humbled by your comment,I appreciate it. but I do know there are so many talented carvers out there that I'm just happy to be able to post here,Mahalo again for the nice words
AlohaStation , Thanks for the very nice words. Your carvings are really Sweet my friend you get such tight clean lines and it all flows very nice. I am getting ready to carve some of that Mahagony pretty soon , but I have a couple commissions to do and some a coulpe masks to start but I cant wait to start carving it,Aloha your friend Mooney

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2008-01-18 08:13 ]

Aloha to all!!!
I have a few more progress shot of Lono. I hope you like,Aloha , Mooney

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2008-02-03 08:26 ]

Excellent. I really like the profile!! Hurry up and finish this guy.

R
Robin posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2008 2:45 PM

Whoa! Very impressive work. Really love the wave too, very beautiful rendition, and the recycling story makes it even better. It's amazing what people will throw out.

Aloha to all!!!

AlohaStation, thanks for the comp,much appreciated.I'm trying to finish the Lono but I'm a bit of a SLOW carver. I seem to take way more time on each carving trying to figure things out and put more detail in each piece that I carve.
Robin, Mahalo for the nice words. I'm glad that you appreciated the story. I like to find stuff thats headed (to the Land of Unwanted Materials)and try to make something out of it.I have a 6ft long by 4" thick by aprox 16" tall piece of wood(very Interesting wood)that was headed to a land fill and I saved it and have started carving a BIG Surf scene out of it(pics to come soon)I like to try and make a carving feel like your looking at that surf,Aloha for now,your friend, Mooney

S

Right On Mooney, this guy if spectacular!
Looking FWD to seeing the Surf scene 2.

B

Hey Mooney,

Beautiful carving my friend and thanks for sharing your amazing work here on TC.

The wood costed 175.00 now it costs 100 times more :)

Benjamin.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 262 replies