Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikis by Mooney...Monday 6/9 New Tongaroa pendant and more

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 262 replies

S

Mooney you are on FIRE! I'm loving the surf scene!
Over the TOP!

WHOAH! That headdress on the last Lono is wild! I love the design on the face, very creative. Excellent. Excellent.

Aloha Mooney, Nice shop you got there.

I dig how this guy on the left here wound up with a knot in just the right place to look like a pupil. Cool...

That engineered truss looks like a challenging piece.

Keep it up, always excellent work from you.

I was going through some cds... memories of Hukilau gone by...

Classic Mooney A -Frames, (with a few early BenzArt next door)

Hukilau 2005

my kind of spread. Some really cool stuff here, that would be hard to just pick one.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2008 4:25 PM

Nice chatting with you Jim. We'll spend some time talking at Benz's in a few weeks. I love the Lono work. You and Seeks are awesome.

-G

Aloha to all!!!
Heath, Mahalo my friend for the kind words and how's san diego?What you got cookin in your carvin area, lookin fwd to seein

harro,Thanks for the nice words. the pic was all the cameras doin. Excellent carving you just finished cant wait to see whats next.

Lake, Mahalo for the nice words and for the pic of the Hukilau.the surf carving is a bit harder for me because i'm trying to get as much depth and detail as the wood will allow. Hopin to have it done for the HUKILAU in june.love your panel my friend really sweet work as all you do.
King-bilt, Thanks for the nice comp much appreciated, and what you got going my friend.

Paipo, I'm glad you and a few others like the surf carvings. I've got some more ideas to incorporate more Tiki into the next couple surf carvings.You are one very talented and creative person.the detial you get out of your stones and jade is aweasome.keep it up

beNella, Thank you my friend for the nice words.your carvings are lookingGreat!Your getting so much nice detail!keep it up

tikimcula,Mahalo for the comp much appreciated.Someday i'll clean the shed probably as i finish a few more of those Tiki's Your carvings are Incredable my friend. The detail is amazing. keep up the Great work!

Ben,Thanks for the nice words. YES i know I have a stash of carvings that i havent shown, but i'm workin towards those Tiki's Thanks for everything

SeeksurfMahalo my friend.can't wait to see more of your magic!

Aaron's Akua, Much appreciated comp. The truss carving is challenging but it is FUN!Let's see some more of your cool carvings my friend.

Tahitiki,Mahalo for the nice words.Can't wait to see more of your incredable carvings.

GMAN, It was nice chatting with you the other day.love seeing your aweasome carvings

I have a few things finished and will show soon.1 Maoi pendant(my first Maoi pendant)2 lono's finished and 1 New lono no photo's shown yet almost done. Another Maoi about to start and still a Messy shed. I will be finishing all of the Tiki's in the shed and a few more about to start for the Hukilau in June,but I do hav a picture of another Surf painting hope you like, Aloha Mooney

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2008-04-18 18:20 ]

J

I saw those profile Lonos about a week ago and my jaw dropped. Your workshop has a ton of really terrific looking works in progress. You need to post way more often.

Aloha to all!
JohnnyP, Mahalo for the nice words much appreciated and your carvings are looking Great my friend!

I have a few more carvings going and finishing some others.
On my last post I meant to let anyone interested that the above surf painting is available if anyone is interested.It's about 3ft long and 8-10"tall(i'm not sure) The painting is on Cedar with a Blue Bamboo border.It is 2" thick and it is acrylic paint . If anyone is interested shoot me a PM, Mahalo Mooney
The first shot is of a Left to right.
Lono with a Abalone inlay in the Eye area.
Middle, is Moai out of Ash wood all finished.My kids love it!
Right, A Lono about finished.Just a bit more detail to do.

This is a close up of the Moai in Ash wood.

This shot is of the Lono with abalone eye inlay and the Mooney trademark wave on each carving on the nose upside down sorry had to do a wave on the Moai it's my thing.

Thanks for letting me share my wood hacks. I hope you like and a few more to come thanks for the help ben, Aloha your friend Mooney

More excellent work! I feel like I'm slacking. Oh yeah - I am.

Man, those are great. I really like that ashwood, really a good combination with the Moai.

Good stuff Jimmy!

Are you vending at Hukilau this year? Your production is in overdrive. :)

B

Very good stuff.
Oh... and I like your trademark: coool !

Benjamin.

S

Very nice, Those masks are so cool the wood and the color
are fantastic.

B

Those pendants rock, Mooney. Very distinct style. Keep up the good work!

Aloha to all!!!
Aloha Station, Thanks for the comp. Come on man REV it up you have such sweet carvin style!
Surfintiki, Mahalo for the much appreciated comp.
LakeSurfer, Thanks for the nice words.
benella, Mahalo my friend carvings lookin better all the time.
Seeksurf, Thanks for the com on the masks,I hace more on the way gatting ready to post some for sale and at the Hukilau in june.

Bowana, Thanks my friend just tryin to have fun carvin.

Mahalo to all ! I finally finished the tall Full Body Lono this past week and have a few other pendants in the works.
I hope you like. He will be available for sale at the Hukilau in june.
First pic is my version of LONO looking over his land

this next one is a side shot of the finished lono

front shot of Lono

close up os Lono standinf on the Lava rock(painted in black)

I have a few mor pics of some other New stuff that i'm carving but I dont want to bore you to much so i'l post on monday,
Aloha to all and Mahalo for letting me share, Mooney

B

Yeah like we would be Bored,,,NOT! Bring'em ON. This Guy looks Great, finally finished. He's been hanging around a long time(don't claim to learn THAT from Me!) :lol: Anyway He is Excellent so Finish up the other 17 you're workin' on now .:) :) :)

B

What I am feeling by viewing your work is hyper happy happy happy... So being bored wit hyour work is simply

IMPOSSIBLE

Wonderful work better and better each time.

Hat off Mister Master.

Your friend Benjamin.

Aloha to all!!!
Ben, Mahalo for the nice words. It is much appreciated. I don't know about 17 or 27 others but it does seem like it.

Benjamin, Thank you my friend. Your carvings ar looking better and better all the time and detail is everthing on a carving. Keep havin fun with the carvin addiction,

Started some Moai pendants yesterday and a new Mask as well and it's not a Lono. Aloha your friend, Mooney

R
Robin posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 8:04 AM

Aloha Mooney,

Another fabulous carving! Way to explore the Lono....each one a unique beauty. Love your renditions of the Moais too.

I'm sure not bored!

T

Good stuff man, this tiki is amazing.

Aloha to all!!!

Robin,Thank you for the kind words.look forward to meeting you this weekend at Bens carvin chop
and seeing some of those cool carvings of yours.

Tahitiki,Mahalo for the comp my friend. I'm looking forward to seeing you next sweet carving.

Mahalo to all that stopped by to take a peek .I appreciate your all to nice words of encouragement and thanks for letting me post, Aloha to all your friend, Jimmy Mooney

Just to poke in from the northwoods, no boredom up here either. You rock
Mooney. The headdress is great. Super work on the Lono face and body.
Heck, the lava rock looks great too!
Keep em coming, it's winter again in Wis. and I needs lots of great carvings to look at.

Nice work!

Just cranking out the good stuff Jimmy!

Send us some of you nice warm weather so Conga and I can get outside and work on some big stuff!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-04-28 22:39 ]

J

On 2008-04-25 12:54, MooneyTiki wrote:

front shot of Lono

It's nice to see a steady stream of postings from you. This lono is pretty darn sharp! Is that the view from your back yard????

S

Nice finish Mooney he looks incredible!
You pulled this guy of masterfully.

Very cool Mooney!!! The Lono is awesome and so are the rest of your carvings. You must hang with Benz? I see some of his style in your work.

Craig

B

Excellent one Mr Mooney, I remember that one from a Loong time Ago!

Mahalo to all!!!

Conga, Mahalo for the nice words much appreciated. I hope you get some warm weather soon my friend and I really loved your last carving very cool.

Lake, Youve been carving some real nice stuff my friend, and I appreciate your kind words , and I'll see you at the Hukilau.

Johnny P, No it is not my backyard, but it is only one house away. I was lucky 12 years ago when I got the house before the home market went CRAZY.Thanks for the nice words.

Seeksurf, Mahalo for the kind words. I really like what you've got going with your carvings keep up the nice flow.

Tikifreak, Mahalo for the comp and yes your right. I am lucky to live so close to Ben Davis (Benzart). I've always admired how Bens carvings seem so alive and wanted to get that feel out of my carvings, so I've been fortunate to spend much time carving with Ben.

Ben, Thanks for the comp my friend and thanks for all the time,lessons,help,conversations and just hangin out , Grasshopper Jimmy

I've been finishing a few carvings and here is one of the Lono carving recipiants the other day. Thanks to all for letting me show you my stuff and Aloha to you all.
Check out how the Grain POPS out when the clear coat go's on. Really pretty wood Al-beez-e-ah.

Ben and a Lono pendant.

A new Lono carving starting in sa-pay-lee

I appreciat all the Kind words it is very humbling to me because you all are such very talented artists, Mahalo your friend, Mooney

S

Great Pic's Benz is looking like a cool dude.
Love the color and the grain coming out in the one pic.

B

Great pix, Mooney. Your Lonos seem to be better than better each time.

Benjamin.

Hey Jimmy, just went through your whole thread, don't know how I missed you before. Super great carves you're doing. Wish I had some of that talent. Your angled pine board pieces are an interesting technique. They would be perfect to mount a low watt red light behind.

Keep carving and sharing with us,
MrsHoptiki

H
harro posted on Sun, May 4, 2008 2:44 PM

Awesome stuff Mooney. I bet Ben was stoked with the Lono. It certainly comes up beaut-ee-ful with a lick of varnish.

Keep up the great work.

Aloha to all!!!

Sorry about the delay in responce, but I have been a bit busy with new carvings and new tiki paintings for the Hukilau.I have Quiet a few carvings going and some to finish as well as 2 finished tiki paintings and 3-4 more to come, and I will post some pics real soon.camera problems .

Mahalo to all that have peeked in on my carvings and paintings much appreciated.
Alos Mahalo seeksurf,benella,Mrs Hoptiki,harro and all my friends who have responded before thank you,Aloha for now, your friend, Mooney

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2008-05-16 11:49 ]

Aloha to all!!! Sorry about the delay,but a bit busy at the home front, but I hope we have turned the corner a bit.
I have a few things to post so here goes.
My son ryan and I working a small Mahagony panel.He loves the wood tools ask Benzart!

Fender strat guitar that i have to strip and carve for a friend. I almost have the stripping done now more pics later.got to love those Fender Guitars.

The Maori panel that i'm working on and a Marq pendant almost finished all but the Tats. The panel is Mahagony and the pendant is Sapaylee and another mahagony piece as well as some Koa on the table.

close up of the Marq pendant

I have a few other carvings but I'll post those soon with a little more progress.Aloha to all Mahalo for lookin and to all keep creating all those SWEET pieces of ART you all create, Aloha Jimmy Mooney

Holy Moly Mooney! Some great stuff goin on over there! The Maori is beautiful. But LOOK OUT! Fender carving coming on here! Can't wait to see all of this. I couldn't imagine carving up ANY of my Fenders, but someone elses?? sure.
Future TC'r Ryan.

R
Robin posted on Sun, May 25, 2008 5:57 PM

Love that Marq! Maori panel is pretty fine as well...great to see you stuff again, and the next generation carver. Thank YOU for posting...I love looking at your stuff.

B

:o

Hi Mooney,

Can't wait for the fender update :)

The panel and the marq pendant seem very neat and smooth. Great job.

Benjamin.

B

Oh cool! Whatcha doin' with the git-tar?

Jimmy!

Sweeeeet!

You're cranking out some excellent stuff!

We're working too hard! I think Friday afternoon of Hukilau we wander into the Wreck Bar and grab ourselves a strong one to ease the aching arms, wrists, elbows, shoulders, backs and whatever else! :wink:

Looking forward to seeing all your great work in person... best of luck as we go into the home stretch!

That Marq pendant is great! Heaps of character.

No hints as to whats coming for the Strat'? Thats a good way to keep us watching.. :)

Excellent stuff, Mooney. I really dig the relief carving - more please. Looking forward to working Hukilau with you.

T

Really cool marq design!!!

J

Your panel work is very nice looking. I think I know your secret though, I need to have a kid help me out as well. Show us more of your carvings.

S

Nice work. Man you always have your plate full.

I'm thinking you surprise the guitar owner with some
tiki art on the guitar :)

Yes, i have been getting alittle surf in the last few
weekends. Fills Good.

B

Stuff is Looking Great Jimooney! I am Really loving how you are getting the fine detail on those Lonos and giving them the Mooney Personality, Good work. As for Ryan, Yes folks this here 4 year old is already holding and using Chisels, {Well Almost) and is a Tiki struck kid if there ever was one. I Know Jimmy has to keep a tight reign on him around his tools because they are All "Mine daddy" and he really tries to get them . He Loved the Benzart shop and is ready for lessons! :lol: :lol:
Of course Jimmy is Holding some stuff back for later :) :)

Aloha to all and thanks for stoppin by!!!

Surfintiki, Mahalo for the comp. you've got some very cool carvings coming from your creative juices my friend,lookin fwd to seeing more.
ROBIN,Aloha and Mahalo. What you got going in your carving ART. Hopefully we will see soon missing your beautiful art.
Benella, Thank you my friend.Hows that maple carving. your carvings are looking sweeter all the time.
LAKE, Just tryin to have fun with the carvin bug. thanks for the kind words.I hope your thumb is getting better, and your carvings are looking great.
Tama, Mahalo for the nice words much appreciated.I love seeing your amazing art.Each piece has such a life of it's own and cant wait to see whats next.
ALOHASTATION, Tom, your carvings do look like theyare walking around and hanging out with us all.very kool style that you have and looking forward to seeing and havin a booth together at Hukilau
JohnnyP,Mahalo for the nice comp.YES the secrets out my 3yr old son Ryan is the Brains behind my carving jones"Darn, I was so close to keeping it a secret and considering that I only pay him a wendys frostie for his help"HA HA HA.
Tahitiki,Thank you for the nice words my friend very appreciated. Looking forward to seeing more of your ultra cool carvings.
SEEKSURF,Your last carving was incredable my friend cant wait to see whats next and YES i've got a tiki/surf drawing almost done for the Fender.will show soon
Benzart,Mahalo my friend and thanks for all the help, and yes that 3 yr old lad Ryan keeps me hoppin and watchin to see that he doesnt run off with to many of my tools like the hammer i lost last week Dont anyone worry. I found the hammer when i ran it over with the lawn mower! that will wake you up!but he loves to carve mostly in the sand bow and on his little tykes work bench and his 2 older sisters are both very artistic as well.
I just finished this LONO out of albeezia with a piece of bamboo and Albeezia base.This is heading up to freddie Balls hopefully lono will bring some warm tropical weather in his new home

The fender strat after 6hrs of stripping and getting ready for the art on it and then it's.....

and last but not least a Maori mask out of pine hopefully it will be ready by Hukilau.

Mahalo to you all and keep creating al that KOOL art you all make, Aloha your friend, Mooney

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2008-05-28 11:43 ]

S

The lono head next to the water looks fantastic.

The guitar might be my local wood alder? I love the texture of this
wood it holds detail well also.

The mask is great! man you have a full plate.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 262 replies