Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikis by Mooney...Monday 6/9 New Tongaroa pendant and more

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 262 replies

B

Bump

On 2005-12-27 11:23, MooneyTiki wrote:
Here are a few I am working on now.

This is gorgeous! Now I wish I had a porch to put these on!!! Very well done!

Aloha To All!!!!!!!!!

Loki, Sorry i couldnt make you Jam but i was working at the fire dept , but i'll try to make it next time! It looked and sounded like alot of fun! thanks for the nice words.
Benzart, Thanks for the good flow and teaching a hack like me!

Kaha Ki'i, Thanks for the good words and Mahaol for sharing your unreal carvings with us!!!

TikiTikiBoom,Thanks for the very kind words. I'm very glad that you like the mask. Its supposed to be a take off of a tiki in the bishop museum in hawaii.
Mahalo to all!!! I wil post shots of the finished masks,tikis,paintings and all when i get done here pretty soon, Trying to carve hard for a up coming art show in 2weeks and if Benzart is most Gracious to post for me (16Months)with no home phone lines or computer since last years hurricane,so Im trying to post as soon as possible. Mahalo for all the very nice words, Aloha, Your friend, Mooney

Ok guys, here is the Finally done Ku mask. Sorry it took so long to get here.

That is stunning. I love the different textures and rich color. Excellent.

J

Ku looks great. Your detail is impressive. It is amazing how similar your workshop is to Benzart's:)
JP

KK

Hey Brah!
Howzit?!!! Listen cuz, thats some of the best work Ive ever seen! I dont think Id consider that a mask though! That term kind of downplays the amazing work youve done! Its a "full body" tiki to me bruddah and again, its truly awesome work!

Hana Hou!

Mahalo for sharing!!!

8T

Amazing work Mooney!. Great outcome. I enjoyed seeing how you did this project. You should be proud.

A
Alldo posted on Thu, Feb 16, 2006 3:24 PM

Awesome! Excellent detail and symmetry. You really have talent my friend. Keep up the inspiring work.

Alldo

B
Bete posted on Thu, Feb 16, 2006 4:26 PM

Very cool.

Aloha to all!!!!!!!!!
Aloha Station,Thanks for the nice words. I appreciate it
Johnny P, ya it does resemble Benzarts carvin hood(because its his) I still dont have phone lines from the hurricane last year.thanks for the good vibe.
Kaha Ki'i, You my friend create some of the most amazing,creative and beautiful art!!!! Mahalo for the nice words. I'm lucky i try to go to Benzarts house once a week as time permits to hang out or to carve and learn with an amazing Person like Ben!!!
8ft,thanks for the good flow I appreciate it
Alldo,thanks for the comp I'm glad that you liked the Ku.
Bete,thanks ,but you should see your tiki that Benzart is making you(you R gonna freak my friend)
Mahalo to all !! I will post some more stuff that I carved as soon as i can get back to bens house and carve , Aloha to all and all be safe,your friend , Mooney

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Feb 17, 2006 5:14 PM

Mooney,

That Ku mask is great! I love the small chisle work and the care taken to apply the finish. That piece just screams "mad skills". Thank you for sharing with us. I really like what you did with this one.

-Gman

spectacular work Mooney.....I love what you do with the wood slabs.....this one is my favorite
so far...but I love em all. Congrats on a super effort.

Brutha moon, I'm in awe. Holy Moly, you've come a long way since I met you at Hukilau '04. Spectacular.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 3:18 AM

Great looking carvings. I really like the mask style carvings that you are doing. Id be too afraid that Id go too thin and wreck it all. They look tops on the wall though.

Aloha to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gman,your carvings are cool my friend!I appreciate your comps on my carvings my friend ,keep making those cool carvings my friend.
Congatiki,Thanks for the nice words I appreciate the good flow.Keep making your sweet art my friend.
Jungle Trader, Jungle man mahalo for the aloha of words,but your one of the 1st carvers that inspired me and many more to carve,so i thank you for sharing with us.
Hewey, Mahalo hewey,dont worry my friend aboutthe thickness you just have to use the Human Calipers (your Hands) to feel as you go on the thickness. Keep slaying the wood my friend.
Mahalo to all, your friend Jimmy Mooney

Aloha to all!!!Mahalo for all the nice words!!!Much appreciated!
I Finally had a chance to bring The full Body Ku from cedar a log over to Benzarts to share with you all and one of my surf paintings.I hope you all like them and Mahalo again,Aloha , your friend , Jimmy Mooney

L
Loki posted on Thu, Feb 23, 2006 10:53 AM

Dang Mooney, I really, really like the surf painting. I have said it before, and I'll say it again, I really like your carving style. You must make it for the next tiki jam. And you can bring that awesome surf painting so i can take care of it for you. :lol:

very cool tiki mr mooney.....nice painting too.....you are knocking out some really
nice stuff.

Goodday mooneytiki i love the ku and the paintings are excellent keep up the good work.

I don't know which I like better, but they are running neck and neck.

J

I like the way you did the eyes on the Ku. Would like to see some progress shots
JP

Yea Mooney... keepin' it real. Surf and tiki... love it!
That's a great right, full of color... I can see myself slotted on that :wink:

Aloha to all!!!!!
Loki, thanks for the nice words my friend. The painting is called "6 Mile Smile" after a reef thats 6miles off our coast up here in jensen beach we did a wayler,jet ski tow session this past falland i remember a wave like this rolling in when we first pulled up(big but fun).
Congatiki,thanks for the comps my friend,glad you like them.
Marcus,Mahaol for the aloha flow. I appreciate it my friend.keep slaying the wood my friend.
RaffertikiThanks for the nice words much appreciated but watch you neck dont strain it unless your carving.Mahalo my friend
Johnny P, I'll try to do some progress shots but most times my wife has the camera,Hopefully the warm trade winds are coming your way.I'll be up in michigan this july maybe i can come by one day?
Lake,Where you been my friend?I hope all is well?I'm glad you like the right even if i'm a goofy footer and that i paint right handers better than lefts.oh well its all good as long as i'm having fun with chisels ,paints or what ever aloha
Aloha to all , and all stay safe and keep creating to your own Beat! Aloha , Your friend Jimmy Mooney(Mooneytiki)

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Feb 26, 2006 5:43 PM

Jimmy,

That Ku is awesome! Everything about it works together - from the bulky stock, hard lines, his pose, the headdress, the stain, to the finish. All the pieces of him come together to create quite a presence. All of what I've seen you post lately has been tops. Congratulations on creating a most excellent carving. What does that sucker weigh?

-Gman

KK

Aloha bruddah!
I really love your work brah! Really! And , how lucky are you to be so close to Kahuna Ben and to be able to spend time with him and pick his brain! I love da kine surf painting to brah! I really dig how you painted the bamboo around the frame and the colors are vivid and action filled!
Keep up the good work cuz, youre amazing!

Malama Pono!

Aloha GMAN!!!!!!!! Thank you for the nice comps, I appreciate it my friend! The cedar log weighs a little bit but not crazy heavy. I really love the way that the grain in the wood comes out when you put the spar varnish on it!
Aloha KahaKi'i!!!! Mahalo my friend for the aloha on the carving I appreciate it brother. I am lucky that i live so close to Benzart and i love hanging out at his house and watching him carve and soak it up like a sponge.mahalo my friend and Aloha to all and all be safe,Aloha , Jimmy Mooney

What is the deal with you and Water. Everywhere your stuff is I see water, either in your paintings...In the tongues of your masks. And if the Art show is dry you find a way to bring water to the exhibit. Inside joke with pictures to follow. Great Job on all your stuff and hope to hook up with you and Ben again so we can carve something.

No worries and good karma your way.
Mike

B

Well, I do remember he said he wished he could be surfing!!
Sounds like a good idea, Any time.

Aloha to All!!!!!!!
Palmcitytiki(mike), I know I know but what can i say i love water!!!!!
Like all of us i'm trying to let a little bits of me out in my carvings(trying to find my own style and adding a little all the time),so my toungs look like waves ,i paint blue bamboo for a border on my wave paintings,and my 4yr old did some carving with the recpricator last week and the week before so she is a part of my fun and soon my 9mo old will be playing with WOOD (sorry that diddnt come out right )ha ha ha...... Thanks mike for the aloha of words and your carvings look great keep having fun .
Aloha ben my friend, I attribute my progressing through my carving journey as mostly due to YOU my friend (ment in a good way) I wouldn't be anywhere close without your insite,knowledge,time and friendship,a big Mahalo my friend for helping me become better, aloha ,,Jimmy Mooney

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2006-03-02 04:25 ]

Hey Mooney,

I just spotted one of your masks in the Harley Davidson Dealership in Huntington, Long Island! Very cool!

aloha jimmy. long time, no see (on tc). i'm still hoping to get that full body ku mask. i hope everything is going well for you. bullet

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Aug 12, 2006 3:54 PM

Thanks for bumping this thread, these pieces are amazing. Hopefully there's some more on the way?

Aloha to all!!!!!!!
Raffertiki, I'm glad you liked the mask and hopefully it put some kind of a smile on your face.I hope all is well with you
Bullet, I'm sorry its been so long . I'm still working on the house from the hurricane mess but as a wise master carver said to me(BENZART) you need to start carving again , so i'm gonna be back at carving tommarrow (tuesady) after i clean the yard for this next hurricane, so if your still interested let me know. I have the blank all set up and i'll be drawing out the figure this week .aloha for now my friend.
Paipo, Mahalo for the comp my friend. I'm glad you liked them. I'll be posting some other carvings and projects soon. Mahalo again and aloha for now, your friend , Mooney

MAN does that tiki look GREAT!! good job on him. the painting too looks awsome.

nice stuff. lets see more

mooney i am stil waiting for more progress pics on something new no time for rest

no hurries, jimmy! i still want the ku whenever you can get it done. mahalo, bullet

Sorry its been so Loooooong but I've been busy still rebuilding our house and I finally got somewhat caught up even though I still have alot of work to go. The mask on the left is a Lono aprox 4ft tall...
The neon blue Lono is a Skateboard (longboard no wheels yet) for my daughter to cruise on she is 5yrs old.
The beach carving was a custom order done on Mahagony for a customer.
I'm working on a Ku mask,a larger mahagony beach carving and a tiki mask out of Koa.Aloha your friend Mooney

[ Edited by: MooneyTiki 2007-03-05 17:48 ]

That LONO mask is fantastic. Keep them comin!

AlohaStation, Thanks for the kind words,much appreciated. I really like your style AlohaStation,Mahalo, Mooney

B

Excellent Stuff jimmy, but you know that already.

WooooooW. That Lono is killah. Great chops, Mooney. Balls

Aloha to all!!
Ben , Mahalo for the comp,I'm trying to get better each carving.
Freddie, Thanks for the nice words my friend. The Lono carving on the left is 4ft tall and aprox 20" wide with alot of detail. It's tough to really see unless it's a closer view.
Aloha your friend, Mooney

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 11, 2007 9:57 AM

That's sharp, dude! GROG like.Visit more often, you've been away too long.

T

Great Tikis on this thread, I thought It would be nice to bump it up the list for all to see.

Aloha to all and Mahalo,Grog,Tahitiki,Aloha Station,Benzart and Hewey for the nice words. I appreciate it.
I finally have had a little time to carve and paint a little,Aloha,...Mooney

front of 8ft Rootball Tiki

side shot with palm tree in forehead.

Finished Rootball Tiki

side shot

another Lono Mask Just finished,

B

Hey JIMMY, Excellent Tikis! The hairball is Awesome (did you know it sprouted a baby palm tree out of his head??) COOL and your Lono Mask is Way Excellent too! keep this up and you may learn to carve one day :lol: :lol:

great stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 262 replies