Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Mondays at San Francisco Trader Vic's

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies

H

In homage to the institution of Wednesdays at Tiki-Ti in Los Angeles, we'd love to start spending Monday nights at the San Francisco Trader Vic's. Mondays work great, because Martiki tends bar that night, and like Wednesdays at Tiki-Ti, it's a slow night and we'll get the run of the place. Also, unlike weekend nights, we're more likely to have Mondays free on a regular basis.

So! Starting tonight, Hanford & I are going to be hanging out at the bar at Trader Vic's in San Francisco on Monday nights. I think the happy hour goes from 4-6:30, we'll probably try to catch the tail end of that, and we'll hang around until we're good & ready to go home. Might be a couple hours, might be all night, hard to say. Come on by & join us if you can!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2006-01-30 17:25 ]

Brilliant!

Ditto!

I think we can actually make it. Probably more like sevenish due to rush hour avoidance techniques, although on the other hand we might just leave earlier instead.

I mean, we're bored. It's been far too long since we had any fun.

... super!...

M

On 2005-10-17 15:42, alohabros wrote:
... super!...

SUPER?!?!
alohabros
Tiki Socialite (283)

Alohabros, you have been posting FOR OVER A YEAR and all you can say is "super". I think you meant to say ZAZZ!!!

:)

M

Hukilau two weekends ago, Hooptylau last weekend. This is going to more like Mon-daze at Trader Vic's!

T

It looks like I won't make it tonight. I am getting behind at work and need to get caught up. I should have gone to work on the weekend but I missed the bus. :wink:

Next week for sure.

M

Thanks everyone for coming out last night!

good times....

it wuz zazz!

Not only was it zazz, it was easy! Traffic from the South Bay was a breeze, and there was parking available on the street (though we didn't notice until after we'd handed the car over to the valet -- dangit!). Turns out the happy hour goes from 3:30-6, and we got there just as happy hour was ending. Thankfully, the not-very-relaxing modern latin jazz (it's not bad music, it just isn't very conducive to the sort of no-contact-massage experience walking into a good tiki bar can be) was quickly swapped out for some much more suitable Mai Kai Gents. The cocktails were truly top-notch -- Trader Vic's generally has fairly reliable quality, but Martin somehow manages to still go one better and make these cocktails perfectly. It's clear that he's really enjoying his time behind the bar at Trader Vic's -- every other group at the bar got the same care and consideration from Martin that we did. And, of course, the company was fab -- thanks for coming out, mrsmiley, tikivixen & Bill! Mig & his better half tried to join us, but got hung up at work -- they'll join us next week, hopefully. We left just as the second happy hour was starting, at 10 -- perhaps in the future we'll manage to hit both happy hours!

See you next Monday!

V

Martiki,
Do you take job apply for bartenders in your place ? I'm so jealous about all of you having a tiki bar (and not a lousy one) where you can go every week...

M

On 2005-10-18 13:40, virani wrote:
Martiki,
Do you take job applications for bartenders in your place ? I'm so jealous about all of you having a tiki bar (and not a lousy one) where you can go every week...

I told Martiki that ALL the Vic's need to hire qualified TC folks to staff their bars nightly - and see how their revenue will go up!!

As part of my new health regimen, I will be there every Monday for my therapeutic Painkiller. Thank you Martin!!! it doesn't get better than that.

Oddly, we too had perhaps the quickest and easiest trip into SF ever. And, er, we also failed to notice the ample street parking. Whoopsie. NEXT time fer shure.

All in all, a wonderfully low-key, relaxing, tasty evening. But I do vote for bridging those happy hours when we're not so Huki-hooptied out. I am impressed by the really tony swankiness of the new Vic's. I also feel faintly unworthy :wink:. I don't think I could walk in there un-dressed-up.

Hope more folks can join us next week...we'll party in the Queen Kamanawannaleiya room!! snort

M

When does Monday Night Football start at Vics??

And can we just board up the doorway of the Football Room once they're all in there?!? :wink:

M

Thanks as always for the kind words, everyone.

Virani- you should come work for us! It's packed with Europeans. The bar manager in Emeryville is French as well. However, there are a lot of Germans, so be advised. :wink:

I don't know when the football is starting, but I might have to work the room when it does. Pitchers of Coors for everyone!

There's even been some talk of early saturday morning live broadcast of English Premier League Football, which means Tetley in the draught can. How tiki is that!?!! Woo hoo- bring on the hooligans!

I thought Monday was great, and the best part was I got a Reverb Crash served to me by a Trader Vic's Bartender!

How zazz is that?

Good god, those Reverb Crashes tasted good. It was so cool to be served one at a Trader Vic's.

A picture from this past Monday, courtesy of Mr. Smiley:

Mr. Smiley says, "What's wrong with this picture?"

Hint: this WAS taken at SAN FRANCISCO Trader Vic's, ya know :D

On 2005-10-20 12:16, Humuhumu wrote:
Good god, those Reverb Crashes tasted good. It was so cool to be served one at a Trader Vic's.

You took the cheesecloth off the lemon and now you're going to get pips in everything?

On 2005-10-20 20:42, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2005-10-20 12:16, Humuhumu wrote:

You took the cheesecloth off the lemon and now you're going to get pips in everything?

No, it's not the cheesecloth, it is alot more SUBTLE! keep looking!

On 2005-10-20 20:15, tikivixen wrote:
Hint: this WAS taken at SAN FRANCISCO Trader Vic's, ya know :D

good hint, very good!

On 2005-10-21 10:24, mrsmiley wrote:

You swapped the heads on the menehunes!

The Tranny on the left has BOOBS!!!

On 2005-10-22 01:08, cynfulcynner wrote:

dingdingdingdingdingdingding!

If the menehune were transgendered, though, the boobies would be correct. Who knows, maybe we were doing those SF menehunes a favor!

We've got another gogogo! weekend ahead of us (Vegas, here we come!), but we'll be back & rarin' to go this next Monday. See you then!

M

Tonight!

zazz!

On 2005-10-22 01:08, cynfulcynner wrote:

On 2005-10-21 10:24, mrsmiley wrote:

ZAZZ!!! YOU got it!! Martiki changed the heads :)

er...umm...during a break when he was off the clock of course! ahem....

Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-10-24 11:56 ]

M

Trannihunes!

Serving Reverb Crashes at Trader Vic's?
I'm honored...
Thanks Martin!

Ran

"Trannihunes!" :lol:

Unfortunately I am extremely sick, so no cocktails tonight. Grrr. I hate viruses. Sorry to miss y'all, but hope to maybe make it at least to the Conga for a bit tomorrow...:(

T

On 2005-10-24 13:22, kick_the_reverb wrote:
I'm honored...
Thanks Martin!

Ran

I popped into Vic's last Friday for late happy hour (a brilliant concept!) and enjoyed a tasty Tortuga and a superb Reverb Crash. In the capable hands of Martiki I was reminded why this drink won the TC drink contest by a landslide. Unfortunately I spent my entire wage packet over the weekend (mostly on records at the Fall sale at Down Home Music in El Cerrito) so I can't make it tonight or tomorrow. Pooh.

Another great night at the SF Trader Vic's! I'm so glad to have this night every week, we're really enjoying it.

I'm very happy to report that Trader Vic's "Monday Night Football" thingy attracted pretty much nobody, while we had a nice tidy gathering of tikiphiles. Yes, their $3 beers and $1 hotdogs may have been a fantastic value, but that's not what we were there for -- we were there for a tiki atmosphere and quality tropical beverages. Thankfully the MNF thingy was set up in the Havana Room, so there wasn't a garish television set in the bar killing the mood.

I would love for this to serve as an interesting illustration to Trader Vic's regarding where their true power lies; I'm quite hopeful that through the football season, our Monday tiki group will outdraw, outspend, and outclass the football thingy.

Thanks once again to Martin & Lars! And to whoever came up with Bongo Bongo Soup, and with whoever was the person that person turned to after creating Bongo Bongo Soup to ask "what do you think?" Many might have said "it looks & smells like the underside of a pier!" but this fine soul was able to get past that, and deliver the positive reinforcement necessary for Bongo Bongo Soup to make its way onto menus. To the proud men (and women?) of Trader Vic's history, I salute you!

M

On 2005-10-24 23:59, Humuhumu wrote:
Another great night at the SF Trader Vic's! I'm so glad to have this night every week, we're really enjoying it.
Thanks to whoever came up with Bongo Bongo Soup, and with whoever was the person that person turned to after creating Bongo Bongo Soup to ask "what do you think?" Many might have said "it looks & smells like the underside of a pier!" but this fine soul was able to get past that, and deliver the positive reinforcement necessary for Bongo Bongo Soup to make its way onto menus. To the proud men (and women?) of Trader Vic's history, I salute you!

Bongo Bongo soup; share it with one you love-otherwise they will FEAR you BONGO BREATH!!!

PS-I coulda swore I caught Hanford with a Bud in his hand kicking back and watching the game!

M

On 2005-10-24 13:22, kick_the_reverb wrote:
I'm honored...
Thanks Martin!

Ran

I'm glad you approve- I should have asked, but I hoped you wouldn't mind. It seems appropriate, after all! It's popular among the staff as well.

I've also been known to roll out the occasional Beachbum's Own now and again, and a few of my own deadly weapons, which are currently not ready for release into the wild.

Yes, MNF was officialy a bust. We'll see how it does next week. But I am pleased to report that Martiki Monday had 400% more attendees than MNF.

See y'all next week! Or tonight!

M

On 2005-10-24 23:59, Humuhumu wrote:

I'm very happy to report that Trader Vic's "Monday Night Football" thingy attracted pretty much nobody...

Well, pretty much nobody...

Go Jets!!

MT

Hey! Are any TC'ers planning on going this Monday, which also happens to be Halloween? Coco Loco, Mr. Smiley, and I were wondering, since they have a big Halloween celebration nearby at the Civic Center. Could be fun...

Is Martiki bartending on Halloween?

H

We wanna be here earlier in the evening, in case any cute little kids come by (or funny lookin' ones). We'll aim for the 2nd happy hour, we'll probably be at Trader Vic's by about 8:30 or 9.

I'm planning to go early on Monday for those free egg rolls and discounted drinks and appetizers. Yes, I will be in costume!

Oh man. I'll be in SF in a couple of weeks, but not on a Monday! I'm kinda bummed out that I won't be able to meet you folks at Trader Vics!

Any of you folks go on Friday nights??

On 2005-10-31 05:42, Tangaroa Ed wrote:
Oh man. I'll be in SF in a couple of weeks, but not on a Monday! I'm kinda bummed out that I won't be able to meet you folks at Trader Vics!

Any of you folks go on Friday nights??

Martiki works Friday nights , too!! Sounds zazz, what date are you visting TE?

I will be in costume around 6:15pm. I may leave at some point to check out the Civic Center stuff and I may come back later.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.