Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Mondays at San Francisco Trader Vic's

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies

A

I sure hope you're still doing Mondays at TV's in January...I'll be in town on the 9th before heading to Sacramento for a conference and would really love to hang with you guys for awhile!

TTFN

amiotiki

M

On 2005-11-06 09:33, amiotiki wrote:
I sure hope you're still doing Mondays at TV's in January...I'll be in town on the 9th before heading to Sacramento for a conference and would really love to hang with you guys for awhile!

TTFN

amiotiki

still going on--I will be there tonight, for example!

H

We'll be there tonight -- we'll aim to get there about 6:30ish.

M

Mahalo to thejab, mrsmiley, hanfumu, and cynful for heading out on a nasty night. It was pretty quiet- at one point the only people in the restaurant were TCers and former Mayor Willie Brown!

See y'all next monday, if not sooner!

M

On 2005-11-08 07:51, martiki wrote:
Mahalo to thejab, mrsmiley, hanfumu, and cynful for heading out on a nasty night. It was pretty quiet- at one point the only people in the restaurant were TCers and former Mayor Willie Brown!

See y'all next monday, if not sooner!

Next week we will try to get our North Bay Eichler friends to join us!

I will be in the Bay Area (Redwood City and Oakland) visiting family Saturday November 19-Friday, November 25th. I look forward to seeing everyone next Monday night at TV's! Please let me know if there are any other Tiki events I should check out during that time! Mahalo! Rev. Tiki.

M

On 2005-11-14 10:01, Rev. Tiki wrote:
I will be in the Bay Area (Redwood City and Oakland) visiting family Saturday November 19-Friday, November 25th. I look forward to seeing everyone next Monday night at TV's! Please let me know if there are any other Tiki events I should check out during that time! Mahalo! Rev. Tiki.

Looking forward to meeting ,you Rev!
Offhand, I don't know of any TIki events going on. Here is a list of interesting restaurants/bars in SF and the East Bay;
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11299&forum=6&0

If you like vintage stuff and soem tiki shopping I posted this:
"Here is a store I started selling stuff in;
The Drug Store, Vintage Decor
3149 Mission St
San Francisco, CA 94110-4503
(415) 282-0544 open 7 days 12-7pm
"Cool, owner-operated collective of vintage furnishings, clothing and accessories.

In Short
Retro style dominates this relaxed browser's haven, where top-quality items are at least 25 years old. Vintage kitchen accessories -- many delightfully kitschy -- color the shelves, including old-fashioned, working appliances; 1950s travel bars; and lovely '60s and '70s studio pottery. International pieces come from Japan and Scandinavia, but most furniture, clothing, art and decor here represent a century's worth of American chic."

[ Edited by: MRSMILEY 2005-11-21 11:20 ]

H

Whoa, there, smiley... ease up on the spam!

Hanford and I will be there tonight, not sure exactly what time yet -- probably the normal 6:30ish time. See you then!

M

On 2005-11-14 16:36, Humuhumu wrote:
Whoa, there, smiley... ease up on the spam!

Hanford and I will be there tonight, not sure exactly what time yet -- probably the normal 6:30ish time. See you then!

I Know. I'm bad-but Sven did get two Covarrubias prints from the store, so you never know what will pop up! :)

Utopiandreem & I will be attending happy hour on 11/21/05 @ TV, would love to meet up with any NorCal TCrs.

TBird.

I am hoping to get there at 6:20 pm-so if you are going to the EARLY Happy hour (3:30-6pm) I hope you two can stick around a little.

On 2005-11-17 11:37, Tiki Bird wrote:
Utopiandreem & I will be attending happy hour on 11/21/05 @ TV, would love to meet up with any NorCal TCrs.

TBird.

M
mig posted on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 1:30 PM

Melanie (aka The Foxy) and I can't make it on 11/21, but we will soon be regular attendees. Promise.

H

Fantastic, Hoiti Toiti visitors! We'll be there this Monday; it'll be so good to see you.

Last Monday, for the first time, San Francisco Trader Vic's actually had people there to watch Monday Night Football. It was only three people, but that's a substantial increase over the zero people they've been pulling in over the past few weeks. They're in the Havana Room, so it doesn't impact the experience in the bar one bit, but I'm happy to see that the success at Trader Vic's on Monday nights is tiki-rooted, and not football-rooted!

M

oh, and don't forget to tip martiki well!!! Last Monday was the record in horrible tips and it has NOTHING to do with the service. I can go into details that would shock you but Martiki may not wan't me to.

TB

We will probably be there around 6ish-whenever, lookin forward to it!

TBird.

T

See you all there tomorrow!

M

What a great crowd! Vic's was hopping for a Monday. Nice to see you Tbird and UD. Nice meeting you Rev Tiki, thanks for the drinks! --smiley

M

Thanks for the big turnout! Good one. Very nice to meet you as well, Rev. Tiki- and good to see the Bird/Dream Team again.

Until next time!

TB

Utopiandreem & I had a great time in the Bay Area, NorCal was very welcoming to us!

TBird.

MT

Anyone plan on going tonight? I had too much Wild Turkey over the weekend, now I have to counterbalance that with rum.

H

After missing out last week while moving, I'm looking forward to my first I'm-not-living-out-of-a-suitcase Monday at Trader Vic's! See you guys tonight.

M

i'm thirsty!!

hot buttered rum!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-12-05 11:17 ]

T

Hey Martiki (or anybody), can you PM me your email/phone info? I have only out of date info.

M

I'M thirsty-but only a little today!

A

Yay!! Only a few more weeks till I get to meet you all at TVs! MMMMM I can taste the maitais already...

January 9 - be there or be a rock!

amiotiki

I'M thirsty!

MT

On 2005-12-19 11:37, mrsmiley wrote:
I'M thirsty!

Wow, thirsty at 11:37am? That's one big thirst that's gonna build up by this evening!

I'm thirsty too!

H

We'll also be thirsty tonight... see you soon!

T

How dry I am.

M

On 2005-12-19 16:51, Mai Tai wrote:

On 2005-12-19 11:37, mrsmiley wrote:
I'M thirsty!

Wow, thirsty at 11:37am? That's one big thirst that's gonna build up by this evening!

I'm thirsty too!

I'm more thirstiester than you are and my big brother is more thirstiester than your big brother is!! :)

MT

I hereby decree that Mr. Smiley is the most thirstiesterest of all! Even more thirstiester than Goldie Locks! No Lie!!!

On 2005-12-20 01:37, Mai Tai wrote:
I hereby decree that Mr. Smiley is the most thirstiesterest of all! Even more thirstiester than Goldie Locks! No Lie!!!

ZAZZ!

Ahh... thirsty no more. Another great Monday night at Trader Vic's. The next time Hanford's driving, I want one of those Sidewinder's Fangs!

Some pictures from last night:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/decmonsftv/

Dang it, I couldn't go again!

For those of you who still don't know, I'm working (mostly evenings) at a local Macy's for the holidays. They are open until MIDNIGHT this week.

On 2005-12-20 11:37, Humuhumu wrote:

The Hardest Working Man in Tiki-business! You've heard of something being an "Eye opening experience," well his Navy Grog is a "Tongue Opening Experience!" Talk about Tastebud Trancendence! A sect of Buddhism could be formed around his ability to create this drink: "Zen & the Art of Mixology." The only problem is all of the rival sects springing up around his ability to mix every other drink on the TV's menu...

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2005-12-21 09:19 ]

See this thread about dinner before Vic's on 12-26;
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17727&forum=4&0

H

Ooooooh, tonight was good! I got to have Bongo Bongo soup... and a Sidewinder's Fang... AND, we were joined tonight by EVE BERGERON! Deluxe.

Every time I have a drink mixed by Martin, I feel terrifically spoiled.

M

IMPORTANT NOTE***

Please note that Vic's SF will be CLOSED on Monday the 2nd!

See everyone on the 9th!

OL

I've heard there have been heavy storms and flooding in Novato - I hope Martiki and his Novato Grotto are safe and dry.

M

*Please note that Vic's SF will be CLOSED on Monday the 2nd!

See everyone on the 9th!*

Or earlier!.... but I should try the 9th considering I've never been to Monday's gathering. Story of my life: always the shy geeky four-eyed socially-inept bookworm wallflower that never got invited to the cool parties.

Sidewinder's Fang

As reviewed by "Tiki Bar(Comic Book) Guy" on The Simpsons:
Best Drink...ever.

midnite...ready to sacrifice a calf, or somesuch offering, to stop this rain. There was a knock on my door earlier and it was two...of everything!, looking for Noah. Thanks folks, I'll be here all week, try the veal!

H

The rains have been pretty nasty just north of us. I don't know exactly how Martiki & other North Bay folks have fared, but I do know that Conga Mike's basement got hit pretty bad -- despite being up all night trying to deal with pumping a foot of water out & salvage belongings, they still made it out for NYE!

Midnite, would your consideration of joining us on the 9th take a turn for the serious if I offered to buy you a Sidewinder's Fang that night? It's my current favorite, too.

We'll now take a brief respite from our (deserved) Martiki worship, to shine the light on the other Trader Vic's bartender we love, Lars:

I think perhaps that Lars was legally adopted by the Trader Vic's organization as a toddler. He's pretty seriously dedicated to Doing Things Right In The Trader Vic's Way. He got his start at the Hamburg Trader Vic's, and has been at the SF location for a while now, where he is a bar manager. He created this gorgeous flaming apertif above, he calls it a Tahitian Sunrise.

Okay, back to the Martiki love-in. He makes really good daquiris, like the one pictured here:

Luxardo fans will love it, it's got a touch of the liqueur in it and the flavor comes through nicely. Luxardo is a liqueur made from maraschino cherry pits, since it's made from the pits and not the fruit, it has a bitter, nutty, complex flavor that I love. The trick with this drink is that you've got to drink it before it melts and spills over the sides! It was a bit of a race, but I (mostly, kinda, sorta, almost) managed it.

(Hanford made me a Mai Tai tonight, between that and typing this post, if I squint, it's almost like I didn't have to skip my Monday at Trader Vic's tonight.)

T

Oooh, a Ghost Daquiri. Must Try.

Parts of Napa and the wine country are flooded to the gills. I wonder how Weird Unc's faring?

We can't complain. A bit of a drainage snafu by the back door, but we needed to tear out the icky carpet down here in the office eventually anyway. I mean, what else is icky carpet good for but to soak up extra rainwater? lol

I love rain dearly, but at this point I'm so sick of the sight of it I could just go to bed and sleep until it's over.

Can't wait for Monday!! I think we'd all buy a drink for Midnite. :wink:

There was a knock on my door earlier and it was two...of everything!, looking for Noah. Thanks folks, I'll be here all week, try the veal!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, guys, I've got my fingers and toes and kidneys and all sorts of things crossed for you.

ahem Oh Atmospheric Continuum? 2006 is supposed to be BETTER, remember?

M

Thanks for the kind words- we're fine and dandy up here- no trouble yet, and sun on the way. My friend in San Anselmo did take some serious damage to his business, though. Here's a view of downtown San Anselmo from the window of his bedroom:

http://images.kodakgallery.com/servlet/Images/photos1726/1/95/12/60/52/9/952601295106_0_BG.jpg

Good thing he lives on the second floor, but he couldn't get out.

See everyone on Monday the ninth for "Matterhorn Daiquiris"!

[ Edited by: martiki 2006-01-03 10:18 ]

A

My heart aches for San Anselmo...such a pretty little town.

On a happier note, I am SO looking forward to meeting you on Monday! Providing I don't get hopelessly lost between SFO and Trader Vic's...

amiotiki

M

Offers from the ladies to buy moi a cocktail. How can I turn down an invite such as these? Now I know how Tom Jones feels. No really, he was ahead of me in line once getting on a plane. I grabbed me some Welsh crooner, just like dear old Mom would have. He seemed alarmed, but I told him it was part of an axillary security process for VIP passengers. He fell for it, or just liked the cut of my jib...great singer, not too bright, though.

*See everyone on Monday the ninth for "Matterhorn Daiquiris"! *

Last time I rode the Matterhorn I threw up, on the way home. Maybe I'll stick with a Sidewinder's Fang and Autopia.

It's not unusual,
midnite

H

Looks like tonight will be a great night -- looking forward to it! Last week didn't feel right without our Monday at Trader Vic's.

M

i'm thirsty!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies