Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New Tikis from Germany!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 481 replies

H

Hey, hodadhank! Here you can see my colleague´s (ramba-zamba) Volkswagen with the Tiki I carved for him.
It´s not the newest VW, but it have his own Tiki on the rearview mirror!!!

Here I create a new Tiki for a pandant. It´s a little bit smaller than Mogambos Figure.
Now I will test some colors on an other piece of wood.
Have anyone a Tipp for coloring the Tiki?

Thank you all for you nice complements.

On 2006-02-10 07:26, haikai wrote:
Hey, hodadhank! Here you can see my colleague´s (ramba-zamba) Volkswagen with the Tiki I carved for him.
It´s not the newest VW, but it have his own Tiki on the rearview mirror!!!

Excellent! The little fellow looks cold. He should come live with me at the beach!

H

Hey hodadhank, are you living in the paradise? Very nice !!! :)
But the summer in bavaria will come soon!

Yesterday I carved my first keyring pendant.
First I used my dad´s lathe to get the basic form out of an old broomstick and
than I tried to create the figures face.
But my tools are to big for this little tikis and so I can´t worked accurately.
The scalpel, I using for the balsa is not to strong enough for this wood.
For the finish I used beeswax with a little bit oak color.

Now I will looking for some new little carving knives and try it again.

H

So, here are my last two little figures I carved. Now I will start to try some colorings for the Tikis.

Nice tikis. Watch out the smaller the tiki - the bigger his bite.

H

Thanks AlohaStation! :D

Here, I have some new work step pictures from my latest balsa carving
and the color experiments.

First I painted the figure with mahogany glaze.
When it was dried I flamed the wood and finish-worked it with clear coat.

For Jochen´s Tiki I used beeswax with a little bit oak color
and also finished it with clear coat. When it will have his necklace,
I think the Tiki will visit his Master in Munich.

Here you can see my first finished pendants.

B

When they get finished thet look Very good indeed. You are really pumping them out. Keep it up and keep up the pictures.

Great! It's hard to believe they're smaller than a silver dollar!

T

Great work! Very original! I love that last pendant with the round eyes and round mouth!

H

Thanks Benzart, you are right. This time I´m enjoying to be busy, because it´s so easy to work with balsa wood. I want to create a little pendant serial composed of different figures and colors.
If I´m finished with the work, I will post some more pictures.

Thanks, hodadhank! :)

Thanks you, tikitony! I realy like your pendants, too. With the little "round eyes" figure I had some problems. The flamed wood and the clear coat don´t agree together. So the figure don´t dry and it´s a little bit sticky. Now I will grind it and try a new coloring. I hope I can save the little fellow.

H

Aloha,

I have some new pictures for you. In the following photos you can see work steps of my new shrunken head.
It was carved out of a glued piece of balsa wood. For the model I used my first framed shrunken head.
(you can see it on page 2)

When I finished the carving, I started to drill the little holes into the lips and colored the heat with oak color beeswax.
After drying, I flamed the wood and colored it again with the beeswax.

When I fixed the blue laces, I arranged the frame with small bamboo bars and the hanging.
And here is the finished shrunken head in his frame!

And here I finally finished the Aku Aku bowl with his painting.

For this end I used emulsion paint and started to ground it with brown.

After drying the bowl, I dabed with a little bit black above the brown color and following I designed the orange and light brown pattern.

Finally I arranged the white outlines about the pattern and finish-worked it with clear coat.

impressive work haikai...the shrunken head and aku aku bowl are very cool...i really like
what you did putting the head in the frame....your entire thread is filled with great stuff.

H

Thank you, congatiki. Nice compliments!

On 2006-02-11 09:00, hodadhank wrote:

Excellent! The little fellow looks cold. He should come live with me at the beach!

On 2006-02-15 04:51, haikai wrote:
Hey hodadhank, are you living in the paradise? Very nice !!!

Nope, Hodahank lives in a slightly different paradise. He's in Mission Beach and that's Pacific Beach, home of the Catamaran Hotel & Resort, Da Kine's Plate Lunch and the Chrystal Pier Hotel & Cottages.

Of course Mission Beach has it's own claims to fame, including:

The Giant Dipper Roller Coaster

And the Bahia Hotel & Resort, home of the Bahia Belle sternwheeler.

B

Really Nice new stuff Haikai. I can really see some improvement. The shrunken head id killer and the moais are super.

H

Hey freddiefreelance, thank you for the nice photos! I think it´s also a perfect place to lie on the beach and carve outside the door, when the sun is shining. I would prefer beeing on one of those locations.
This time it´s still cold in Bavaria and when you carve, the knife will freezing on your fingers.
It´s between 0 C and -16 C cold and everywhere is snow, snow, snow!
I love the wintertime, but not so long.

The pictures of the Catamaran Hotel looks very interesting, with all his figures and plants.
I hope that I´ll can visit it anytime.

Aloha Benzart, thank you, tank you! I think it´s a honor for me, to hear those words from you.:D
Sometimes, it´s funny to create which other materials than wood, but I will remain true to it.
The Aku Aku bowl was the result, when I was tinker with my girlfriend´s little son.
He created his own 007 James Bond doorplate and I made pottery the bowl.

Mahalo, Kai

H

It’s happening! Our Homepage is finished and we like to introduce you to http://www.forbidden-paradise.com!

This site is meant to be a platform for artists and those who are interested in culture and lifestyle.
The main topics are Tiki and Oceanian culture as well as Polynesian Pop Art.

We offer you to purchase handcrafted Tiki stuff from our shop area.
We offer: Graven Tikis, illustrations, pictures and various decoration stuff.
All figures are unique and we strictly refuse massproduction, because this way our products
distinguish themselves from the usual plastic products.
We also want Tiki culture to become more accessable to the European public.

So now have fun on the tracks of Forbidden Paradise!

haikai

Nice site Haikai!

H

Aloha!

Here, I have a few new pictures for you. In the first photo you can see Mogambos finished Tiki pandant.
Now the little fellow has a new owner and I hope he will post a photo along with him.
I hope, that I can eventually show you my pendant serial in the next days.

Last week, I carved my second keyring pendant. It was also an old broomstick, befor it become a Tiki.
The wood has been embedded with teak glaze and then sealed up with oak coloured beeswax.
Next month, I´ll also want to start a little keyring pandant serial.
I´ll keep it posted!

These next two pictures shows you my second tiki candle. I carved it yesterday and
it´s so great to carve in wax.
Today, when I took the pictures, I got an idea. It would be funny to use the candle form, for a Tiki ice.
It would be perfect! A place in the sun at the beach bar and you can enjoy your own Aku Aku ice.
Certainly with Mai Tai flavour!

Mahalo, haikai

Yup, u got that Moai carving licked! Sweet idea!!

H

Aloha Tiki friends,

I have some new pictures for you! Here you can see my work of the last two weeks.
I carved 4 giant Tikis out of spruce and oak wood.
They are all between 78.74 inch and 98,43 inch high.

From 03.June to the 03.September in Landshut you can gaze a little exotic paradise.
At the Mühleninsel you will find a Beachbar, the LA ISLAND, with 150t of sand,
real palms and the four Tikis.
Maybe somebody stay in this time in Germany,
so travel to Landshut and have exotic nights in the middle of a nice city.

This is the first spruce Tiki. The log was cut down 2 years ago and very easy to handle!

For the second spruce Tiki I used an easter island model.

These next 2 figures was my first try with oak wood. First I was shocked,
about the hardness and weight, but after trying out some different tools it became better.
I think it´s perfekt for carving ornaments!

For the finsh I used rape oil to protect the wood. The last figure got diamond eyes and a cavity behind his nose.

L
Loki posted on Mon, Jun 12, 2006 8:30 AM

Wunderlich!

Real nice! Love to see tikis that huge! Chisels and Chainsaws... and that's alot of surface area to carve up!

Great tikis!
You are very talented with that chainsaw.
You make it look easy, I have yet to pick mine up, it scares me half to death!

I really like the moai-sickle picture, with you licking the candle. That's hilarious!

-BuxomVahine

Wow, those are some fatties!
Good work using the different kinds of wood.

Will

H

Einfach betäuben! halten Sie es oben!

Hope that makes since--I was just fooling around with an online English to German translator. Anyway-Simply stunning! Keep it up!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 12, 2006 2:01 PM

Holy Smoke! Dem's some biggins for sure! WOW! Man what super work you did on those. The big open mouth looks so smooth. That's some serious eye candy for us saw-heads. Thanks for posting.

-Gman

That's good stuff, Kameraden...That third Hawaiian War God tiki is awesome. Thank God for forklifts!

Great work on those tikis! those were some massive logs to cut - that looks liek fun! Congrats on getting some BIG publicity for your art - it's all great!

That finish on the tiki looks great - did you finish them all the same way? did you stain any, or just leve them natural?

H

Aloha everyone,

thank you all and sorry for the late response.
Michael (ramba-zamba) and me were very buisy to exhibit our artworks in the last three month.
We visited the London Luau and the Hangar Rockin´ festival in Swizerland,
were I carved live the hangar Tiki.
Now we have a litte bit time befor we start our next exhibitions and so I have some now pictures for you.

Loki, Dankesckön! Sehr nett von Dir!

Lake Surfer, thanks! I think it´s realy funny to carve such huge Tikis.
It´s so great when you finished one and see the giant result.

Tikiwahine, :lol: I thought like you, before I started to carve with the chainsaw.
Try it and you will loose your fear, but be concentrated. I had never an accident with those tool.

SCTikiShack, you are right! It´s fantastic to use different woods and to try out new things.
This time I like to carve in oak wood. In fact it´s realy hard,
but it has a beautiful grain and you can create pretty fine pattern.
I´m looking forward to carve in palm wood. I have never hold it in my hands.

surf-n-turf, thank you very much! It´s nice, that you try it in my native language.
I understood all and I think my english is sometimes not better! :)

GMAN, thanks, thanks, thanks! I realy like your work,too. Especially your Marakihau pendant!

Basement Kahuna, you are right! Thank God for forklifts!
It would be fantastic to carve a much bigger Tiki, but I can´t transport so huge and heavy logs.
Maximal 98,5 inch logs. So I need an bigger trailer!

Polynesiac, thanks for your accolade. Yes, I finished them all the same way.
I only used anola oil for the Tikis. I tink I oiled them four or five times.
They stand all outside and I hope they will get more interesting,
when they weather from the sun and rain.

O.K. Here are some new pics from the Tikis of LA ISLAND at Landshut / Bavaria.
When you want to see more fotos, visit the hole gallery on Forbidden Paradise:

http://www.forbidden-paradise.com/eng/gallery.php?top=34

The following pictures are from the Hangar Rockin´Festival. I carved there an 31,5 inch oak Tiki.
The Hangar Tiki, witch got his spirt in a mystic sanctification on the stage.
In the evening the Tiki chanched his owner on an auktion feat. MC Dink Winkerton from the Los Strajtjackets.

More pictures: http://www.forbidden-paradise.com/eng/gallery.php?top=37

So, now it´s time!
Long time ago, I wrote on TC, that I want to finish my pendant serial and post it.
Here are the Tiki necklaces and key holder with differen colors and beads.

The following pendants has been crafted from balsa wood.
The wood has been covered with glaze and sealed up with clear coat.

The next necklaces and key holder has been crafted from beech wood.
The wood has been covered with glaze and some sealed up with clear coat.

So, thank you all for visiting my posts on TC and yor nice comments!
Mahalo, Kai

wow. htose look so cool. i like how they are all different and unique. keep the good work comming.
how much does one of those sell for?

J

I missed this thread, those are some monster tikis! Great job! I like seeing pics of other folks using the chainsaw.
JP

Looks like you had a great showing of your work. This is one of my favorite threads. Keep them coming!!!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 11, 2006 5:10 PM

I love the big logs and your saw work. Your big guys are so awesome! Excellent stuff. I am very jealous! Thank god for forklifts!

-Gman

I really like the little guys. I've been playing with bass wood for a while its still a fun wood to carve. The way that you beaded your necklaces is really cool. keep up the great work.

H

Aloha frinds,

Tiki Duddy, thank you very much! Yes, they are all different. This is my appeal when I grab for my knives and start to create new figures. It was so great when I finished the pendant serial and placed them in parallel. You can get the effect of the crazy familie of forbidden paradise.

I sell the necklaces for 30 Euros each (about 38 USD) and the key holder for 25 Euros each (about 31 USD). shipping not included!
I don´t have all of them any more, but if you are interestet in getting one, plese look for the unsold once on my homepage and let me know.

Here is the direct link: http://www.forbidden-paradise.com/eng/shop.php?CAT=stuff&limit=0&vor=1

JohnnyP, thank you very much indeed! I´m very happy, that all you guys and gals give me so great compliments for my artworks.
:D Sadly, I have not enough time to post more on TC because my regular job and our Tiki homepage needs a lot of time and sweat.

rodeotiki, you are right! The show on the Hangar festival was very great.
I think there was approx. 5000 visitors. We met many nice people there which was very intrested about the world of Tiki.
It was the perfekt place to evangelise Tiki!

I hope we can organize much more pictures from the weekend, to give you more impressions.

GMAN, I think like you! The big logs are the spectacular once. It´s so great to work with the saw and create Tikis in massive forms.
At once you stay in front of real giant gods.
This week I will organize some new giant oak and spruce logs for my next mystic visions.
Than I can post more and show you new figures.

AlohaStation, thanks! What kind of wood is bass? Is it like balsa wood? These woods are perfekt for those little figures and their niceties.
For the beads I used different wood pearls, mussels and coconut slices.

mahalo and greetings to everyone, kai

TG

Cool stuff my man. I checked out your website. Lot's of killer art there. I especially like the one "Raimund Kerkenrath" carved. It kinda look's like one I did a few years ago (see below).

Keep up the good works. Look's like you guy's have a lot of fun over there;)

http://www.forbidden-paradise.com/eng/gallery.php?top=25

H

Hey Tiki G.!

Thanks for postig and visiting our website. Yes you are right, your two Tikis look very alike. I´m not sure, but I think he sold ít on ebay!

Yes, we have lot of fun here, but the most time I work together with my colleague and friend Michael Hanauer (ramba-zamba).
The other guys from FP are all living distributed in Europe.
Most of them in Germany.

Unfortunately, I don´t know all artists personally from our homepage.
The last two month I met Tiki Racer from England, Al´s Tikis from Switzerland and Krazy-Tiki from Germany for the first time.
They are all very nice people with amazing idears and it would be fantastic,
if we could see us frequently. But we are living too far away.

So, in Germany it´s not so easy to find people, which occupy with the Tiki theme.
The most of them stay in there flats or garages and create their own things.
So, the commutation is not so easy. Only per email!

I think it would be fantastic, if here were more interested Tiki people.
They could meet together and talk about crazy cogitations and particularly do projekts togeher. These things I miss a little bit.

But this is why we start the projekt Forbidden Paradise. We want to assemble all the european Tiki artists and present them and there artworks.
We´ll do our best and hope the Tiki scene will grow up.

mahalo, kai

K

Your carvings have a lot of old school cool in them! I dig 'em!

H

KAHAKA, thank you very much! It´s like sugar in my ears. I don´t know why I carve the things in that style!
It only happens! Rarely, I make a sketch before I start to carve. I only have an idea of a detail like a nose, eyes or the mouse and than it will process.
Probably, I think I was looking so often Svens "Book of Tiki" and so I got this style.
Mahalo, Kai

B

Cool stuff. Good luck rounding up all the tiki artists. It will make for great stories and pictures..

H

Hey Ben, thank you!It´s great to meet guys like you on TC. It´s so interesting to see your artworks and your way to carve with so many details. It gives me many inspiration and the incentive to try out more. Thank you for carving and posting so much!

great stuff, haikai! i gotta get one of those pendants. let me know. bullet

Your stuff keeps getting better and better - keep up the good work

H

Thank you very much kingstiedye!
I hope you are fine and the little framed shrunken head too.
I´m happy that you like the pendants.
Look only on my homepage and let me know which one you prefer.

Or look to the TC marketplace Here where I sell some necklaces, too. greetings!

Hey marcus, thanks! :D
I don´t know if you remember! I have ask you in your own post, what kind of grey stuff you use for the black grounding! I think it´s ash! Is it right?

2 month ago I carved a birthday Tiki mask for my brother. It was my first try to carve only with chisels, but sadly I used the wrong wood. Spruce wood is not good for carving pattern.

For the finish I rubed it with charcoal and I think it looked realy cool.
The downs has been very dark, but after that if I collored the mask with rosewood glaze the shading was gone.
I think the color was too dark! Have you any tip for me to do this better? Mahalo, Kai

Here are some pics of the mask:

H

Aloha everyone,

in the last few days I tried out to carve new finer forms and so I started to create a Tiki god with a bloom crown. I use to apply some marquesan parts.

I´m not sure, but I think the 3.28 foot log is from cottonwood.
It´s very soft and easy to carve.

For the first, I finished with the basic form of the crown, the eyes and the nose.
Sadly, I have done a little disfigurement, because I think the eyes could be bigger. There is a little bit to much space between eyes and nose.

Whatever, now I will go outside and create the mouth in proper style.
After carving the Tiki I consider to dye it with some different natural colors.
So, see you later on TC, if I have some new pictures for you.
Mahalo, Kai

M

Wow! That's gonna rock! Nice carve.

Mahalo

Mc

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jul 20, 2006 4:08 AM

On 2006-07-20 02:38, haikai wrote:

Do you work as a monumental mason? It looks like a tombstone factory behind that log....
Nice tiki too, I really like the boldness of the eyes and crown.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 481 replies