Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New Tikis from Germany!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 481 replies

Man, you do good work. Keeps getting better and better.. I've always liked the classic, vintage feel of your creations. Looks like mid-century stuff.

H

Thanks McTiki! I have seen your back yard with the wild Tikis.
Great work and I also realy like the docoration with the coconuts.
Looks pretty cool!

Hey Paipo, sorry for the late response and thanks for your entry.
No, I´m not a monumental mason! But you are right, in the neighborhood is a tombstone factory and they lair their stones in our yard. The guys are very nice and help me always with their forklift.
Befor I try to create Tikis from stone, I exercise me more in carving wood.
It´s not so hard and heavy. So, respect for your beautiful and clean work!

Aloha BK, thank you for the great accolade. I always follow your posts on TC and admire your awesome work. Also, thanks for gives me many inspiration and the incentive to try out more.

So, now I have a few new pictures of the bloom crown Tiki for you.
I created the mouth and back of the figure and finshed the carving.
I try to carve some pattern and frets to give the Tiki some more interesting structures.

Now, I think about the colors. How should I do that? I want to use tree colors. (black, white and red)
I want to squelched some natural materials like ash, chalk and clay and try to mix them with oil.
O.K. befor I color the Tiki I must do some tests. I check it out and than I will post more pictures.

Here are the last pics of the bloom crown god:

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 4:40 AM

Yeah, all that granite...it can only mean one thing! I used to deal with my local mason regularly to get pieces etched and sandblasted until I got my own air compressor set up.

Nice update on your latest guy - I think some contrasting colours will work well with the range of techniques you've used on him. BK is right - these have a great retro vibe to them. Drop me a PM whenever you're ready to start stone carving!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 4:53 AM

Wow! That is fantastic! The eyes are great (as are the curls, head, base, mouth, nose, and the rest of it). If I send you some stamps will you send this one to me in Florida?

-Gman

H

Thanks Paipo! It´s a great deal with your local mason.
I think an own air compressor set up sould be very expensive, or?

If I´ll have the heart to carve anytime in stone, so I´ll let you know.
I think that´s so hard to do.

Hey GMAN, thanks for your words. I have seen the pictures from your accident at your TC post.
Shit, the cicatrice looks like you must be killed. Crazy GMAN! :o
I hope you feel now better! I have also seen your last maori pendant.
It´s a wonderful piece of work! Great, keep up the beautiful work!

In terms of the Tiki! Are you sure, you have the heart to own this guy?
He´s a real bavarian Tiki god with amazing vires.
He is very, very dangerous! After I´ll finished the Tiki I´ll part with him.

O.K. Here are my first color tests! I have squelched chalk to get white powder, red-brick to get red (orange) powder and in the end charcoal for the black powder.

Than I separately mixed the powders with a little bit of oil and stirred them accurately. I painted all three colours on a pice of wood of the same log.
The red and black color worked very well, but when you mix chalk with oil it will get dirty grey.
So, I mixed the chalk powder with water. Great, you get a realy white color but it´s difficult to coat
over the oil colores. When I´ll color the Tiki, I must omit the white sites.

After all, I need something to fix the colores, because they aspirate not complete into the wood.
But what? So, I´ll search something! Mahalo, Kai

H

Truly amazing stuff here, Haikai. You can go from one extreme to the other-from the tiniest to the tallset. Good luck with your coloring project, can't wait to see how it turns out---keep posting--I'll keep looking!

good GOOD work man. i really like the eyes and teeth. i only hope to become that good in the future. keep em comming

Man you keep raising the bar. Looks fantastic!!!

B

Haikai, I Really Love this last carving with the Spiral inspired headdress. the whole tiki is very nice but that headdress really sets it off. Thanks too for your Color lesson, I am really impressed with your technique and may try the red on my next MAori piece.
HappyHappyHappy

J

Thanks for the color tips. Those colors and the texture of the colors would match a lot of PNG art. I'm going to give it a try on my next Sepik piece.
JP

H

Aloha friends of the Tiki tribe,

surf-n-turf, thank you for looking on my contribution. You are right, when I carve the little Tiki pendants for a few time,
I get the appetite to try out things with the chain saw and big logs.
From the tiniest to the tallset! It makes me lots of fun to work with different sizes and tools.
Every size has his gain, the big ones are realy impressive and the small once are not so heavy to transport.

Tiki Duddy, thanks for the nice words in your post! I have seen your first 2 cool Tikis on TC.
Break a leg, for your craver growth. Try it again and again and you will find out which tools you must use.
And so you will catch me up very quickly. I´m looking forward to see your next Tiki!

Hey rodeotiki, thank you very much! I try to do my best! :drink:

Ben, thanks for visiting my thread! I think like you, the best part of the Tiki ist his headdress.
I started with these part and I realy enjoyed it to figure out the rolling forms.
This was the main inspiration for creating this figure. I have seen the curls of your Mahogany lono
and so I want to try out more finer frets. At this time, thanks for posting your pictures.

It´s great, you want to try out the same color technique with the red-brick.
But watch out and be careful when you´ll use it. I find out, that the red color worked very well
on the clear natural wood. You must squelch the powder very fine and mix it well with the oil.
While I was painting the bloom crown Tiki I find out, that the red color don´t cover realy good.
The black ash grounding I used was to dark for the red selection.
Good luck for the maori´s coloring. I´m looking forward to admire some pictures.

Hey JohnnyP, thanks for posting! I think like you, it´s a great kind to color wood in a natural style.
The art of PNG and also of other natives, inspired me to mix colors this way.
Using the nature and make colores out of stones, terra and plants.
I don´t want to use any kind of clear coat.
My vision was to create a mystic god, who looks like an old one, which standing for a long time on a forbidden paradise.
Now I hope I´ll succeed the god´s finsh well!

Thank you all and mahalo, Kai

O.K. In the last two days I tryed out a lot and made the first coloring tests.
At first I put the raw carved Tiki and gave him a black grounding.
For this purpose I mixed the ash powder with a little bit rape oil and coated it with a brush.

After the black color was dry, I used these tools for polishing.

I was very surprised how gread it worked. The wood´s grain came out and the color realy drawn-in.
Now, when you touch the figure you don´t have dark fingers.

After I finshed the grounding, I mixed the red-brick powder with oil and started to paint the Tiki´s life-threatening eyes.

His crown, I wanted to dye just soft and so it got a little shading. But here I had my first problem!
After painting I find out, that the the red color don´t cover realy good.
The black ash grounding I used was to dark for the red selection.
You could levigate the red parts very easy.

So, I mixed the red-brick powder with a litle bit acrylic, chalk powder and water.
Now the color worked out better and became besides more intensive. Next try!

I used this color for the hole figure to highlight a lots of interesting parts.
But for the most selection I used it just a little. I don´t want surfaces, but rather more shading in his face.

For the white color I used a litte bit acrylic, chalk powder and water.

I mixed it well and painted with it the Tiki´s teeth and his pattern.
It worked very great and the color completely moved into the wood. I think it´s a litte bit too bright
and so I will attenuate the white parts with a little bit ash pouder.
I´m not finsh with the white parts, yet

At these pictures you can see, how the Tiki looks now.
To fix the colors definitely, I have bought a wood wax and so I will polishing the god for the finish.

Next Week I will post the last pictures of the dangerous bloom crown got.
Look out and have a nice weekend!

Mahalo, Kai

!!
that is SO good! i really like the eyes on that beast. the nose also draws my attention. good work and please keep posting pictures.

GOOD JOB

H

I just cannot find words to tell you how BAD-ASS this tiki is! Completely awesome in every respect---color , style, your own creativity thrown in--what else could someone want?!?! Really like the coloring method too-I'd rather make my own color out of natural materials in the manner of the savage like you have done than just slap some paint on it. Great work!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jul 28, 2006 7:39 PM

You're killing me! That is so great! The colors and shading look awesome. Like SnT said, what better way to finish a savage carving. Very impressive stuff.

-Gman

P

I'm very impressed with how this came together in the end. The subdued natural tones you mixed work really nicely with your design.

many thanks for the progress pics Haikai....I really like the vintage look of this one...
you did a great job with the colors and finish....very very nice.

H

Thanks Tiki Duddy, very bright! I´ll do my best and continue with the finish this afternoon.
I will take some more pictures and post them here.

Hey surf-n-turf, thank you so much! :D Oh yes, that´s great!
Try out the same coloring technique and show us some pictures of you work. I´m very curious about it.

Last weekend I saw a very interesting reportage at arte TV about the creation of an Iatmul head in Papua-Neuguinea.
It was very interesting to observe, how the native did those great work. They also used many kinds of clay and mixed them with ash, water and different plant oils. It was very impressive and so I want to try out more suchtechniques.
Here is a little information about the reportage at arte TV:

Kunst und Mythos: from the 1th july to 19th august 2006,every saturdy at 20.15 p.m.

Every episode of the new series,presents a symbolic artefact of the original art.
It illustrates,which myth underlies the work, how it was used and handed down.
The show also discusses the different meanings here and at it´s point of origin.
Link to arte TV

GMAN, :blush: Thank you so much! All of you give me so nice compliments.
So I´ll go out of one's way to start an new poroject and show you new pictures.
Last Saturday I organized a new oak log from a farmer in the near of my home.
I think the log is approximately 250 years old and about 1700 pound heavy.
So, I will be busy the next time.

I have also seen your last Maori Tekoteko figure.
It´s awesome how lovely you created the shoulder, arm and hand. Great job!
And if I saw the picture of your pool, I also think like Paipo! - don't show me pics like that now! :)

Hey Paipo, thanks for posting! I was surprised myself how great the colors worked together with the wood.
Now it would be interesting, if the colors will work so good on every kinds of wood. Will it work with oak, cherry or beech wood ....?

congatiki, thank you also for your nice words. I like it also to watch many different pictures on TC,
and so I have lots of fun to give my own contribution.
And I think the progress pics are the best ones.

Now I will go out and finsh the Tiki! Thank you all and have a nice day, Kai

T

haikai, the finishing looks great on that tiki!! thanks for showing us how you did it. it looks awesome! it's a great piece of work! looking foward to what you do next.

H

Aloha everyone!

Thank you very much, tiki5-0! :)

Finally, I have finished the bloom crown Tiki and shot some progress pictures for you guys.
In the last two weeks I also started with a new carving projekt, which you can see in the following pictures.

On with the show!
First, I finished the white coloring for the frets.
For the color I used a litte bit acrylic, chalk powder and water and mixed it well again.

Than I damped the white parts with a little bit ash pouder.
So the contrast is not so hard and the Tiki looks a little bit older.

After that, I polished the whole figure with wood wax. For this I used an old cloth.
So, I fixed the ash and the colors definitely and the wood got a little bit greasy.

Here you can see the Tiki´s back with all his different curls and frets.

And here is the fearsome, finished bloom crown Tiki!

So and now let me show you the pictures of my last projekt.

I started two weeks ago to carve this little Tekoteko. I have seen so many amazing Maori figures on TC,
so that I had to carve one myself. Especially, I was inspirational of Benzart`s, Gman´s and Marcus Thorn´s pictures.
And so these next pictures are for you guys, thanks!

It´s 8/7 inches tall and carved from basswood. That was my first try to carve a smaller Tiki with this kind of wood.
It worked brilliant!

First I drafted and carved out the basic form of the figure.

Than I formed out the roundings of the feets and the upper part of the body.

After I have worked out the Tiki´s body, I´ve abrade his head and started with the first details.

At last I figured out the eyes.

Here I drafted the little fellow´s frets and tattoos. I graved them with a little cutter.
Oh dear, it was not realy easy to hold my hands still.

Attention, he can bite!

I sandpapered the Tiki and colored him twice with teak glaze.

When the wood was dry, i polished it very good. So it got sleek.

Ahhhh, a new god was born! Here you can see the finished Tekoteko.

Thank you all and mahalo, Kai

thats AMAZING!! i dont know what words to describe it by. all i can say is good work.

T

man, haikai, these last 2 are GREAT!! the bloom crown tiki looks awesome finished. thanks for showing us how you did the ageing technique, it gave it an old, been out in the sun for years look to it. and then you come back with the maori guy. WOW!! he looks so cool....top-notch job on this guy. great job with all of the step by step pictures, too. looking foward to what you do next!

Your work is excellent. I really like the way you gave the big guy an aged feel. Thanks again for the "How-To". Keep the chips flying.

B

Kai, Kai, These last 2 carvings are Really Way over the top. Man you pulled out All the stops. The colors on the black tiki are just Beautiful. I Don't know how else to describe it. You blended all the accents in just Perfectly. And the little Maori is another fantastic piece. I Love that NZ Red. I Really have to get that receipe!!
Keep up the great work.

wonderful teko teko and great pics...it's like watching a baby develop in the womb...or something
like that....i agree with Ben...these last two are world-class pieces....

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Aug 18, 2006 4:51 PM

Haikai,

I have been traveling for work and just returned. MAN! what a show! The big tiki with the curls is fantastic. The coloring job you did, and the colors you created, are out of this world! My hat is off to you sir!

And that little Maori warrior...SWEET! I love the progress shots, the layout, and the red you used for the final staining. An all around excellent piece. I'm glad my work was part of what prompted you to do this project. Thanks. They are fun aren't they?

Now where is that monster piece of wood you are hiding!!! Make a Maori warrior out of that bugger!!!!! Let us see what you are doing!

J

Nice work. The step by steps are great, I can really see how you approached it. It looks wonderful.

JP

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Aug 18, 2006 5:56 PM

Haikai, you're really flying the flag in Europe. That little tekoteko is incredible. It's obviously Maori inspired, yet very original at the same time.

H

Hey guys, thank you very much for the nice words! :D I was very glad when I read your commentaries.
Sadly, I´m very busy at work, because tomorrow we´ll have an exhibition and on sunday I´ll go on hollidays for two weeks. (Bretagne / France) 8)

So, I have not enough time to give you all a response.
When I´ll be back in town, I´ll do that quickly!

At last, I have some pictures for you! They are from one of my last projects.
I carved these little Lono pendant for my big Tiki friend Pete.
The Lono is 7/6 inches tall and carved from cherrywood.

And here is the lucky Pete!

Greetings and have a great time, Kai

nice work there!! really good. lots of detail on such a small piece.

good job.

aloha hai kai. great work on the lono pendant. can you make one for me? your website is lookin' good!

T

Very nice stuff! I love the bloom crown tiki! Thanks for decribing the process too. Again, very nice!

B

Hey Kai, Thats a Lot of minute detail on that tiny Lono, Nice job. What is the wood?. I'm really liking your Stuff.

H

Aloha friends,

First I want to say thanks very much to
Tiki Duddy, tiki5-0, AlohaStation, Benzart, congatiki, GMAN, JohnnyP and Paipo
for your nice and constitutive words above the Bloom Crown Tiki and the Tekoteko.
For reading your coments, it was just worthwhile to carve them. :D

Thanks again Tiki Duddy, kingstiedye, tikigap and Benzart for your words
about Peter´s Lono pendant.
It was one of my most difficult carving, because of the size and the hardness.
But I had also much fun with it.

Surely kingstiedye, I could make one for you!
I´m very happy that I´ll create a new penant for your amazing colection.

Hey Benzart, the little Lono pendant is from cherry wood. Thanks again!

Two weeks ago, I came back from my holidays in France.
It was a realy cool trip to the sea side and I visited a few great museums.
I think one of the best, I have seen was the French Marine Museum at Brest.
It´s in an old port castle from the 16. century and is full of old things
from the conquerors of the 18. - 19. century.

It was so cool, I felt like an old bearded seaman, everywhere you can see
old cannons, epees, anchors, ship models and all the original wood carvings from the big ships.

Another interesting trip was to vistit the biggest sea aquarium in Europe. The Océanapolis at Brest.
Pretty fishes, turtles and lot of more interesting things for discovering.
Even, they have some polynesian objects.

And the best experience was to sit in the sand, carve a Tiki and watch to the sea.
Finaly, France is a realy beautiful country!

Her are some impessions:

A polynesian native on a turtle and a part of adornment from an old ship. (Marine Museum at Brest)

And here are some beautiful south sea artworks. (Océanapolis)

The coast of Brignogan. The best place, were I have ever carved a Tiki.

That´s the treasure, That I found on the beach!
I´ll use the mussels for my new Tiki cellektion next year.

The right place for pirates and seamans! Vive la France!

O.K. and finally here are some pictures from my latest carving job.
A 6.9 feet high Lono head. For this I used a cottonwood log.
I think cottenwood is realy great for carving. You can work realy fine.

Here is one more picture for you. It´s a present from my buddy Michael (ramba-zamba).
He spend his holidays in Bali and visited some wood carving factories.
There he bought me a pice of crocodile wood. I think it looks very funny
and I´m looking forward how it will work.

Mahalo, Kai

M

Wow! Haikai Awesome efforts on the big Cottonwood sir. I often wondered how it would carve as it makes ones fireplace smell like poo. It grows very large though and is very smooth grained. Very nice carving.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

WOW, your Big Lono Head is Very very good, Most excellent I am Super impressed.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2006 1:54 PM

Oh man, what a post....I love the museum pieces, it's great to get a look at stuff you may never have the chance to visit. I've been wondering what you've been doing lately and now I know! Nice beachcombing finds and an excellent new tiki on the way.
I'd also be interested in a pendant like the one you posted up above if you're making a list...

Excellent Large Lono!! But I'm curious - what happened to the tiki on the beach? Is he finished?

Wow! That big Lono is going to be amazing & the wee Maori teko-teko has a real presence to him (quite a tricky form/stance to get right, but you nailed it) a unique face/expression. Kai pai, well done! TTT

Nice.

That's what it's all about right there.

Back to the roots.

The sound of the sea.

No better place to carve a tiki.

Stoked for you!

The Lono is incredible. Nice work! Your style is super clean and your cuts well thought out.

Keep up the great work!

J

That lono head is fantasitic. You must have spent a lot of time planning that one.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 28, 2006 8:18 PM

HaiKai,

That Lono carving is tops! Wow man, you are really hammering on the big guys. Please post update pics of him soon; please don't wait to post until he is finished. Also, I'm glad you got to carve on the coast; that is something that most of us who leave near the beach take for granted.

WOW...WOW...by the beach..yes that is the way to carve.Those carvings are to die for..admiration doesn't seem to be enough.

B

VOOOOOAAAAAWWWWWWW
Your tikis are fantastic !!!
nice work.
what do you use to finish your works?

Nice Lono! Bigger is always better!

B

Hello

i am a french carver (well, in fact, i try to be) and i really love your work.
A question came to me : do you draw your tikis before you carve them ? How do you do to have your perfect symetry ?
How do you do to report your drawing on the wood?

Thanks

B

Do you have new photos of your Lono?

TD

WOOOOW!! that lono head is terrific! man its such a clean cut. so that MUST be good wood. great job really.

That is a great looking lono! Really clean lines- Can't wait to see more of the progress..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 481 replies