Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

coco joes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 303 replies

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 9:58 PM

Not from Hawaii, but I thought you guys might like to see a couple of "Marble Art" resin sculptures I just picked up on holiday. They are probably the closest equivalent to CJ's or HIP you'll find in Aotearoa and I've been after these two for a while now.
"Pania of the Reef", about 12" tall. Copy of a famous bronze statue located in Napier:

Chief with Tiki - 8 1/2" tall.

v TC Thread v

myspace

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-02-01 21:58 ]

Hey Paipo, I have a similar Pania statue. I really like the Maori chief.

HOK

Aloha Paipo! Sounds like you had a good vacation. Resin Parua Studios items and some unmarked Maori items.

Enjoy the Moko....Freddie :tiki:

Z
Zaya posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 9:28 PM

Freddie, I heard what you said to Buzzy, and I’m afraid you’re a bad influence on him. You and Buzzy can’t play with your Coco Joes together any more! :lol:

Zaya

[ Edited by: Zaya 2007-02-02 21:31 ]

HOK

Aloha Zaya! We're actually conducting a scientific experiment...If a Tiki carver is bombarded with Tiki images and UFC events, will his inner creativity blossom? Of course this is an ongoing study and both stimuli must be administered in generous quantities to validate these claims.
Here is this weekends dose. This should be followed up with an UFC event (I think Anderson Silva is gonna kick butt) I can hear the creativity flowing...........Freddie

HOK

A couple more variations of CCJ 205-T Kuula-"God of Fishermen" The deeply revered fish god of the ancient Hawaiians was Kuula, to whom shrines were erected and the first fish caught presented in gratitude for a successful catch. (2") Legends in Lava

The one on the right is an older version that is anatomically correct and doesn't have rhinestone eyes yet...Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

Z
Zaya posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 10:22 AM

On 2007-02-03 01:39, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Aloha Zaya! We're actually conducting a scientific experiment...If a Tiki carver is bombarded with Tiki images and UFC events, will his inner creativity blossom? Of course this is an ongoing study and both stimuli must be administered in generous quantities to validate these claims.

Hi Freddie, this is definitely true! For proof check out Buzzy's thread! :)

These last two are so cool. I really like those older Coco Joes. I also really like those Maori pieces you posted earlier too. The detail in them is amazing, and I especially love the one on the far right that's a little bowl. It's beautiful! So what else are you holding out on us? :) I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Zaya

My CCJ 205:
I cannot tell, but it looks like the eyes on this one are different than yours

Aloha Freddie: Got a quick question for you regarding this fine cocojoes product:

"...and hear CocoJoe's famous 'Legends' at the orange and green musical talking display..."

I was just wondering: Do you keep your orange and green talking display in the living room next to your plasma TV, or is it over on the scanner table? Does it run on batteries? You DO have one, right?

Take care Lava Buddies,
Buzzy Out!

HOK

On 2007-02-08 10:22, Zaya wrote:
So what else are you holding out on us? :) I'm looking forward to seeing more!

I'm glad you're enjoying the posts, let me see what I can dig up....Aloha, Freddie

HOK

On 2007-02-08 10:48, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
My CCJ 205:
I cannot tell, but it looks like the eyes on this one are different than yours

Yours looks like pearl/bead eyes...I've seen yellow shells used on some Tiki eyes also-  

------------------------------------------------------------- Aloha Freddie: Got a quick question for you regarding this fine cocojoes product:

I was just wondering: Do you keep your orange and green talking display in the living room next to your plasma TV, or is it over on the scanner table? Does it run on batteries? You DO have one, right?

You mean the one that needs to be blown up and is posable and uses batteries....Dohhh :oops: Wrong forum :roll: Aloha, Freddie

Hey Freddie.
If one of those talking displays comes up on ebay, I just want to let you know, it's mine! I'm hitting that thing BIG! I thought I'd put it on my nightstand to tell me Coco Joes bedtime stories as I drift off into the Magical Kingdom of My Tikiland dreams. Like the story of how the 36-093 Fire Dancer rides his flaming...
Oops! wrong thread. My bad!

Too bad Zaya isn't in Da Lava Club. She's missing out on some great club PM newsletters.

Buzzy Out!

HOK

On 2007-02-08 10:22, Zaya wrote:
So what else are you holding out on us? :) I'm looking forward to seeing more!
--- Here's one of the stranger pieces I've seen,Kind of Big Daddy Roth/Rat Fink style lava figure

This Company is a trophy house and still in business...The lady I bought it from , at swapmeet, said this was a religious figure...when I told her it was a lady holding a bowling ball, she wouldn't believe me!! She must've been in the sun too long...Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

Z
Zaya posted on Tue, Feb 13, 2007 12:24 PM

Oh wow, she's cute! :) I've never seen one of those before. That's so funny about the swapmeet lady! You have to watch out for them, sometimes they have more things going on than being out in the sun too long! My favorite line from our swapmeet here is from this one old guy that says, "Everything's Almost Free!" What a bunch of characters. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. I just bought my tickets to HNL today for a quick visit 7Jul-13Jul. I've always promised my 7 year old son that I'd take him some day and now it's official. Wish it could be longer, but we'll take what we can get. Come on Freddie, help me get Buzzy to come too!

HOK

Come on Buzzy!! You can Dooo IIITTTTT!!!! You really need some time to relax...uuumm,HAha, I mean,to do scientific TIKI research...chanting "GOGOGOGOGO...to...HAWAIIHAWAIIHAWAII"helps sink it in. Aloha, Freddie

Here's the latest update of my Coco Joes collection. I now have 5 of the black lava placques and 2 lava figurines. I'm planning a shelf to display the Coco Joes collection. I have a piece of old weathered barnwood that I think is going to be perfect for the shelf. I'm going to try my hand at carving some brackets to support the shelf. I'll have the figures on the shelf and the placques on the wall behind. Haven't figured out yet how to light them. Lighting is everything with these dark pieces.

I found this old Coco Joes TV antenna. My reception is so much better now!

On 2007-02-18 15:48, ookoo lady wrote:
I found this old Coco Joes TV antenna. My reception is so much better now!

Looks like you have the UHF antenna. You can get PBS now.
I have the VHF antenna version :wink: Is Magnum still on channel 8?

It has what has been dubbed the "secret society" stamp

On 2007-02-18 11:14, khan_tiki_mon wrote:
Here's the latest update of my Coco Joes collection. Haven't figured out yet how to light them. Lighting is everything with these dark pieces.

Nice acquisitions! That's almost my whole wish list right there. I also am entertaining the idea of lit shelves for my pieces. I was thinking of using those ropes of light, and routering a channel in the underside of each shelf and placing the light rope in the channel, obscurred from view. The pieces would be lit from above. I've seen people light their mug shelves like this and it may work. Let us know what you decide and how it works.
I'm going to update my collection when I hit 200 pieces. Should only be another day or two... :roll:

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:09 ]

Buzzy suggested that rope lighting in the shelves. That's a good idea and I've looked at that rope lighting before. The only thing I wonder about is that the rope lighting doesn't last forever. It's not like you can replace a bulb. However you install it you need to be able to change it out. Does anyone have experience with the rope lighting?

HOK

Some older CCJ pendants and a HIP figure from a recent Collector Show.

Aloha, Freddie

T

I love this thread. I've got some Coco Joe's but not nearly the collection alot of you have. I was in Indianapolis this week for a funeral and stopped at an antique mall and found a 6" dancing hula girl. There was no price tag so I took it to the counter and the guy said hold on I'll call the booth owner. I came back later after finding the only other good thing in the place(a Jim Beam King Kamehameha decanter) and the guy says the buyer came in and took the hula girl home with her and it wasn't for sale. So check ebay for her soon. Weird.

On 2007-01-16 15:27, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Here's all my Coco Joe's HIP stuff:

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-01-17 15:41 ]

Hey I was just wondering if Buzzy or anyone else knew the name of the tall, black Tiki in the middle. I have the same one but the tag is long gone and I have been trying to find out who he is.

On 2007-03-12 14:00, Kel Varnsen wrote:

Hey I was just wondering if Buzzy or anyone else knew the name of the tall, black Tiki in the middle. I have the same one but the tag is long gone and I have been trying to find out who he is.

Hola Kel:
Here's the tag on the hapawood version:

Have a great day, and welcome to TC.
Buzzy Out!

Anyone got the tag for this one?

All I have is the remnants of an orange tag.
Thanks
Buzzy

HOK

Since Easter is coming up, I guess now is a good time to post your Easter Island theme Lava figures....
Wooden KavaKava, Bosko plaster Moai, the rest are unmarked and the shortest one might be a game piece?
Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

HOK

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2007-03-29 09:17 ]

H

Freddie you have such an extensive collection it is amazing. I enjoy all of this. Keep on showing us more please, there are so many in your collection that I have never seen before. I wish someone should make a book of all the Coco Joes around. I think it would be a great reference for tiki carvers and for the collectors as well.

HOK

Aloha Hiltiki, I'm glad that you are enjoying the lava figures. There always seems to be a different lava figure hear and there and this fuels the hunt for "More Lava" :) Freddie, :tiki:

On 2007-03-29 02:43, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Since Easter is coming up, I guess now is a good time to post your Easter Island theme Lava figures.... Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

I do not have any lava figures but I'll post some of my Easter Island vacation pictures instead:

Sorry that the are black and white, my camera battery died and I had to borrow a camera from some guy named "wouter" from the Netherlands.
Photo Documentarian Buzzy Out!

H

Buzzy that is a nice find right there. What colors are we talking here anyways. I am talking about the ones with the glass eyes? And ...can I have one? :)

HOK

Coco Joe piece found in the wild...dug up at a secret old factory site :)

Born out of lava...Returned to lava! Now that's what I call urban archaeology.

Here's an update of all my CocoJoes, HIP, and other lava junk(Except for the pendants and keychains):

Coco Joes tikis

Coco Joes and HIP hula girls

Coco Joes and HIP King K's

Menehunes, peles, ashtrays and other Coco Joes figures

HIP tikis and stuff

Polyart

Others

It's not really that much stuff.
Buzzy Out!

HOK

Aloha Buzzy! Your Lava collection is flourishing and Da "Duke" looks extra happy in his new environment. :) Are your display cases buckling at the seams yet?? Are you chanting "Da Lava Club" mantra...."Must find more Lava, Must find more Lava", while you're hunting?? This seems to help move people aside while harvesting :) Freddie :tiki:

On 2007-04-04 02:48, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Coco Joe piece found in the wild...dug up at a secret old factory site :)

Hola!
Cool "finds" Freddie! I feel bad for you though, getting all dirty digging around out there, looking for your lava pieces. Over here in California, we just hire guys to pick them off the vine for us instead. This year's crop is just about to come in to harvest, as a matter of fact:

My friend Miguelito sent me this picture from the central valley. I like finding them this way, as opposed to digging, because I hate to get dirt under my nails.
Do you ever dig up a piece in the wild which turns out to be just another lava rock, that happens to look similar to a cocojoes piece? I imagine that happens all the time out there. When I used to stay at my Grandparents cabin in the mountains, I never found a real Indian arrowhead, but I found a bunch of rocks that looked similar to arrowheads. It's probably the same way in Hawaii, but only with lava figurines instead right?

Must Find More Lava Buzzy Out!

HOK

Good one Buzzy!! Laughed my ass off on those CoCo Fruits :) These picts were posted before and sadly I had to get my nails dirty for these also...

I left these in as found condition. Aloha, Freddie

P

great collection! Those are beautiful!

UT

Some upnorth lava.

K
Kenike posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2007 7:43 AM

On 2007-04-06 13:59, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Here's an update of all my CocoJoes, HIP, and other lava junk(Except for the pendants and keychains):

Damn fine collection! Thanks for taking the time.

HOK

On 2007-04-06 13:59, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Here's an update of all my CocoJoes, HIP, and other lava junk

Polyart

Hey Buzzy, I think this is a cross over piece, marked "Island Arts"... feels like a light wood but is some kind of foam/resin (has tell-tale air bubbles on bottom)

On 2007-04-08 05:48, uncle trav wrote:
Some upnorth lava.

Here are some variations of a couple pieces you have:
Different lava beds on each

One marked with a catalog number, one without

The tag:

The top one is much heavier and is made from a mold that has much more overall volume

Clouds above Diamond Head

No clouds

Coconut details

Different shirt pattern

He pulled down his shirt to cover his belly

Markings

One more just for fun:

Two toes, four toes, and no toes

The hair was recarved at some point

All are marked in different places

Thanks for sharing your stuff. Got a few more I'll post later on.
Buzzy Out!

On 2007-04-15 15:44, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Hey Buzzy, I think this is a cross over piece, marked "Island Arts"... Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

Hey Freddie, always nice to see your posts. :)
Which one do you think "inspired" the other?

Speaking of inspiration...
Here's a few Coco No's I've found(followed by the original sources):

And finally, close ups of the Polyart ashtray:

Aloha
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-04-19 15:18 ]

Hey Buzzy. Thanks for the comparisons on the ashtrays. Gotta love this stuff! You got an eye for detail. Keep up the good work!

Here are a couple more variations of some common Coco Joe's tikis

The more I find and compare some of these pieces, the more I notice that several of them were completely recarved at some point.

Here's are two versions of the Ulani bottle opener #298:

The one on the right is a little larger, and the one I assume to be the older version of the two

The one on the right has a vein detail carved on the top of the head and the one on the left has lines carved in the mouth, as well as one more line detail between the nose and upper lip

The bodies are similar, but completely different when compared detail to detail. I prefer the tool marked look on the one on the right.

Bottom markings:
The one on the left looks newer based on the markings, but it still predates when they started to put the copyright symbol and date on them. This one is as dense as the one on the right. Both are heavier than the plastic feeling ones that came along later. Those are usually marked like the one on the left, but include a copyright date. I think the earliest that I've seen marked with this stamp, copyright, and date is 1978.

Tag:

A few Variations of the Lucky Tiki #107:

The size is the most noticable difference at first glance

A closer look shows more differences than can be attributed to a difference in scale.

The two with the copyrights of 1981 and 1990 are the small ones and feel more plastic in composition than the other two. The one that is marked 107 is the heaviest, and it, along with the blank one, have a ceramic feel to them.

All are stamped on the top, with no real variation other than scale between the two sizes

Tag:

If I made any mistakes , or if any of you all can add some more info, corrections, or conjecture, please, do so.

More later
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-04-19 01:51 ]

HOK

Some more Coco Joe variations,

I wonder if this is an obscene gesture in some cultures :)
Aloha, Freddie

Freddie: Thanks for playing along. Oh da List! I feel bad for the one guy who got his eyes stolen too. Is there a black market of pilfered eyes out there?

Here are a couple variations of the Lono #109:
I will refer to the one on the right as the larger, heavier, or older version for this post. Once again, there is an obvious recarving of this piece

The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is to look at the detailing on the top of the headress. On the newer version, the details continue all the way up the headress, while it stops at the edge of the eye on the older one

The larger one has more details on the top, as well as more defined features

The larger one has two more holes between the cheeks and headress

Upon close inspection, the bodies are entirely different:

The larger one also has one more triangle detail in the lower part of the headress

Lack of detail on the smaller one:

The bases are different too

The larger one has no date on it. Hey Freddie, you know why there is a ghost image of the logo on this one. Can't grasp how it would have occured...

Copyright of 1980 on this one:

The one with the copyright is still a heavier piece and does not feel plastic. It is still a little larger than others I've had that do not have the gold lettering. Those feel like plastic and are considerably lighter than both versions pictured here. All the details on the plastic ones are the same as the smaller one I posted here. They are the ones I assume to be the newest.
And finally, the tag:

Still more variations to come...
Buzzy Out!

I’m in a posting mood today so here is my Coco Joe’s family

L to R Hapa-Wood Lucky, Lono, Big Lono, Kukailimoku, Goddess of Fertility and Lucky #1.

On 2007-01-04 02:37, Paipo wrote:
Anyone got this creepy looking fella

He looks kinda Alien doesn't he? Back in the early 90's, the Ka'ai this guy was modeled after just up and walked out of the Bishop Museum. It hasn't been seen since. Many people say the Kai'ai was repatriated and is now resting fine in a cave in Waipio.

So the saying goes "Maui No Ka'oi, Bishop Museum No Ka'ai"

Well there's the Tiki Trivia And here's one of my CCJ's that I haven't seen posted here.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 303 replies