Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

coco joes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 303 replies

Freakin Sweet!!! I love Coco Joes stuff!!

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Jan 2, 2010 8:48 AM

Amazing! Gracias Buzzy!

More lava eye candy I picked up since the last megapost of my collection:

Larger HIP stuff

Polyart, Lava ray, and Hohokee(sp?)

Schirman

Coco Joe's

Hapawood hula ashtray is a HIP, the rest cocojoe

HIP penholder and Cocojoes

Coco Joe's jewel fish donated by Ookoolady:

CocoJoe's, upper right Polyart

Surprisingly, I still have room for more. A lot more!

Extra thanks to all of you who have been pointing me in the right direction when you see something out there that I don't have!

Buzzy Out!

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jan 5, 2010 12:33 AM

Found this menehune last Sunday on la lagunilla flea market in Mexico City...

Paid 100 pesos. = 8 dollars

T

Hey Buzzy, just saw your post with your cabinets and all your detailed shots of your extensive collection. WOW.....great job!! What an awesome collection! Quite a few very rare pieces in there.
Funny though when you think you've almost got them all and then you find something or see something in someone else's collection that you haven't got yet.
I guess posting pictures of almost everything you have is a good way to see how much other people here on TC have that you might not have yet and really be able to fine tune your collection.

Will anyone actually get them all??? Probably not but it sure is a great hunt!!!
Thanks again Buzzy for your great posts!!

Okay, here's two Lava pieces I got over a few days off over Christmas:

Coco Joe Hawaii Pen Holder (minus the pen - easier to display)

Here's a harder to find Poly Art Tiki about 8" tall:

Mahalo, TabooDan

T

That's a SWEET collection of Coco Joe's Buzzy......

[ Edited by: Tiki-Tim 2010-02-13 17:46 ]

HOK

On 2010-01-03 20:24, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Surprisingly, I still have room for more. A lot more!

Extra thanks to all of you who have been pointing me in the right direction when you see something out there that I don't have!

Buzzy Out!

Yo Buzzy! Do you have this one yet???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140383792281&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Someone should let him know thats a piece of coral :lol:

Need some help with an ID for this Lono. 12 1/2" tall and heavy resin. My mom picked it up at a local thrift shop. I gave him a bath in the sink as he had years of dust and grime caked on. I can't find a makers mark anywhere. By the dust, heft and detail I'm thinking it is a vintage piece but am not sure. Coco Joe, HIP, Polyart? Any help would be great. Thanks.

That guy there is a HIP. It's in Duke's book on page 178 with a tag, but the tag has the same description as a more common KU piece. There are a different sizes of it too.

Buzzy Out!

I picked up this new "Coco Joe" on e-Bay for a buck, is it valuable?

:lol: Just kidding :lol:

On 2010-02-20 13:11, MadDogMike wrote:
I picked up this new "Coco Joe" on e-Bay for a buck, is it valuable?

It was 750% more valuable about 5 days later when this one sold:

VTG-TIKI-FOR-LONG-LIFE-CARVED-WOOD-COCO-JOES-HAWAII

Ended: Feb 19, 201013:46:57 PST
Bid history: 4 bids
Winning bid: US $7.50

You bought yours just in time....

If it goes up in value any more, I'm going to try to trade mine for the $5000 penis/coral rock!
Buzzy Out!

I just scored my first Coco Joes today at the thrift. A couple of nice nice 8 inchers, $3.80 total, Schweeet!

DC

New stuff to blend in with all of the old stuff that I already have:

SuperJumbo HIP tiki donated from the HOKU collection

Hapawood HIP shelllady ashtray:

Polyart, Guam, and AliiGold

CCJ's tiki penholder notepad:

Two CCj pendants and a letter opener:

Buzzy Out!

Buzzy, how many more Coco Joe's are out there that you don't have? Weren't you down to 3?

I think he secretly makes them behind the house to baffle the other collectors. :D
Some cool designs, love the "Hope" pendant.

A

On 2010-03-15 14:37, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
SuperJumbo HIP tiki donated from the HOKU collection

Wow, that's HIP? I don't think I've seen that one. I would've guessed CocoJoe since the shape is so close to a big one of theirs, but actually now that you mention it, the mouth and tongue are kinda HIP style.

Yes, I am a nerd.

-Randy

I'd like to know more about this young lass I found today - particularly her age if possible.
I didn't come across her on the other pages so any info will be helpful (also posted her today in Tiki finds) - thanks.

On 2010-04-24 07:59, moondoggie wrote:
I'd like to know more about this young lass I found today - particularly her age if possible.

I used to have a huge archive of pictures cocojoes pieces, including tags, marks,etc, and they were all arranged by catalog number. I lost it all when my computer crashed a while ago, but i do reall that there was at least 1, or maybe even two pieces with the HW 2 catalog number that were older than that one. I'll call that one an "early piece from the middle era of Cocojoes production .

And while I'm here, another update of new pieces recently added to the collection:

CCJ's Alii Gold Aloha Beauty

Coco joes and a Polyart lighter

Cocojoes Strong god pendant

Unmkarked tiki and Guam ashtray

I picked up a lot of old "made in Hawaii" sand and stone resin composites:

Buzzy Out!

I think we are going to have to start calling you Coco Joe's Buzzy from now on.

Found a Coco Joe's jelly canoe. I don't have the little jelly jars, but S&P shakers form Kon Tiki Ports look kinda happy in the boat.

A

At the risk of cross-posting, I thought I'd just add in this thread that I posted some screen captures of this Coco Joes tiki and his starring role in a couple episodes of Hawaii Five-O, over in another thread.

Tiki on the left.

From the episode "Is This Any Way To Run A Paradise?"

From the episode "Percentage"

More pics over on that other thread, including a neato little animation of McGarrett swinging a "war club" with this tiki on the end.

-Randy

HOK

Thanks for sharing Randy! :) Too cool.

Found this great little letter opener this weekend. 6 1/2" long with the original price tag of one dollar on the back.

Cool post Randy! It's neat to see Coco Joe's on the screen. Here's a post Mr Noname did with a CocoJoe's in it:

On 2009-02-27 15:18, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Necessary Roughness with Scott Bakula.

And while I'm here, I'll update the master list by crossing off these new additions:

2 HIPs, 1 coco joes, amd a Guam

Coco Joes

heads

HIPs

Polyart

Guams

Polystone and Pied Piper:

Only a few more on Da List now!
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-08-29 23:41 ]

Wow, Buzzy, what's up with that Hippy Tiki with the red glasses!? That's so bad it's good! Never seen this weird specimen before, does it have a name/date/ description left on it?

On 2010-08-30 10:16, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow, Buzzy, what's up with that Hippy Tiki with the red glasses!? That's so bad it's good! Never seen this weird specimen before, does it have a name/date/ description left on it?

BiBro: Nope, no tag or date. I would guess during Vietnam War era... HIP had a couple anti war/hippie pieces too. Probably CocoJoe's attempt at that market:

Gotta love the hair!

And some more new ones I just got or ones that I forgot to add to the last post:
Coco Joe's

HIP-donated by HOKU

Polystone:

New Zealand Maori resin wahine:

Shown with the male I already had:

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-09-07 11:45 ]

Found this Coco Joe's last week. Took me a while to figure out something was different about it. it has a copyright date of '90 and the usual Coco Joe's label and markings, but it's really heavy and seems to be made of some lighter-colored plaster/resin material. Did Coco Joe's switch materials later in manufacturing or is this a "fake"?

I've seen that variation before, but i think the one I saw was painted with some color...

The eyes on the Ku and his weapon are noticeably different than on the more common ones.

Most of the following is a rambling guess, and should be considered opinion, rather than fact:

If you look at the other common black version, you'll notice that it looks like it was carved as a hapawood piece with the wood grain in it. CCJ's did that with a lot of their pieces: Black wood and brown lava. That one looks like it was originally carved as a lava piece without the wood grain. I've noticed that with some pieces, they slightly changed a feature or two on a subsequent recarved version. On some, it looks like they corrected a part of the sculpt because it was causing problems when it was cast from the mold.

I think that during the 30+ years of CocoJoes they tried every type of resin available. Usually, the older pieces were heavier and more dense. It seems that some of the newer pieces are the ones that are more prone to bending and are lighter in composition. Those newer ones also look like they were cast in white, and then painted or dipped in something to give them the color. when those crack, they expose a white core. The older pieces were black/brown throughout.

The '90 copyright can tell you the piece you have is made after 1990, but doesn't necessarily mean that the sculpt is from 1990. There were several older pieces that had no copyright date on them, but then on later productions of the piece the copyright was added.

Buzzy Out!

I recently picked up this Cocojoe Wahine in a gift shop on Oahu. It is made of simulated lava. When did they start producing these?

Darilyn

On 2010-10-15 10:00, LiddleLola wrote:
When did they start producing these?

Probably made last week or the week before. :lol:

I'll let Freddie give you some more information about the newer ones:

On 2005-12-30 02:13, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
I ran into the owner of a trophy shop who buys new versions of Coco Joe's and HIP items to put on his trophies. He said that a guy in Sand Island (near La Mariana) makes these. I've bought a couple of tikis at the swap meet with HIP markings, but with CoCo Joe's paper labels. Some of the supposed hapawood items look like white plaster stained brown, kinda of crummy looking...the newer ones are also lighter in weight, not really lava like anymore. hoku

thanks Freddie! You wouldn't happen to have any photos of the new ones, would you?

On 2008-03-03 03:21, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
The new generation of CCJ is cast with white/light resin and stained with a different color. It looks like they are slowly adding more new knockoffs and I thought they started reproducing the large King Kamehameha with your post. Thank goodness yours looks vintage.

Here is a sample of the new generation that is available at the Stadium FleaMarket.

In case you want to compare quality , the stall is on the outside row in 14-D.

Wow Freddie! you're amazing!

thanks for all the help and have a Happy Birthday!
Buzzy Out!

I was at the swapmeet today, and found a couple CocoJoe's pieces. One of them, I already had, but for some reason, I had a feeling there was something "off" about it. I've learned to always trust my first instincts, so I haggled, bundled, and lied my way to getting it at a lower price than originally stated.

Here's the piece. It's one of the earliest ones that they produced, CCJ 120 Madame Pele:

It has the prebook/pretag era sticker on it

Bottom markings:

When I got it home, I compared it to the one I had, and as you can see, it was a different sculpt

The old CCJ's catalog that I have has the same face as the one I already had does.

Moral of the story: Buy it all when you see it and sort it all out later.

I also picked up this Polystone #1 piece:

I like this one because it has a different leaf broken off of it than on the other one I have. It's also a different color.

Damn these variations!
Buzzy Out!

D

I have a question for those of you who seem to know a lot about CoCo Joe figures. I have a Uke, Ipo the Lover. I noticed that some have him standing on a base that says Hawaii and others just have him standing without the base. Both have the CoCo Joe stamp on the bottom, so I don't think they were altered. What's the difference?

On 2010-11-23 07:14, DrTandem wrote:
What's the difference?

Seems like for the ones made with and without the bases, the ones with the Hawaii base was the newer version of the two.

here's an old post on a variation of that one I did a while back:

On 2008-04-17 15:02, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Here's a variation of your #257: Ipo the Lover Boy

Here they are side by side

This is the one I see most often:

Here's the variation that I almost passed on because I thought I already had it:

He has the same head as #219 He-Haku Ka-Ao: the teller of tales

A flower was added to the side of the head on the Ipo version

Tag :

Bottom:

Buzzy Out!

:music: "Wah-wah-wha Wahine" !!? :lol: Priceless!

Here is the lot of recent stuff that I added to the collection:

Coco joes

Coco Joes

Coco Joes

HIP olivine and pendant

Polyart

Big island sand

Island art

Polystone

Exotic creations

Unmarked

Guam made in saipan

I did a rough count and I added about 100 pieces in the last year.
Buzzy Out!

HOK

Has anyone noticed these on Ebay??

Are you a CCJ collector who thinks that they have seen most CCJ's
available and that these must be "rare"??

Beware...not rare....Coco No's....Newly made...colors off??
http://www.ebay.com/csc/mrbonedaddyz/m.html?item=260972554091&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc32d276b&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

more info on this post...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29907&forum=12

I don't add a lot of photos of pieces that are already posted but I've never seen this piece on TC so thought I'd add to the thread.

HIP, Made in Hawaii, 12".

I also haven't seen this exact ashtray... Coco Joes?

For size comparison on the foot tall HIP tiki on the far right...in back is a large white ring with dolphins...one of the last Coco-Joes pieces made.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2012-03-13 11:10 ]

P

Buzzy what an awesome coco joes collection. thought i would post my polynesian lovesticks

I went cold turkey from collecting and buying stuff on ebay for six months last year. After that, I went back to adding pieces as usual to the ever expanding collection. I think i averaged adding just over 1 a week since the break.

Here are the new additions:

Coco Joe's

HIP

Schirman

PolyArt

Island Art

Guam, Hilo, Saipan tikis

Other/unmarked

unmarked monkey and Big island sands

Buzzy Out!

Wow! Amazing, so much stuff I have never seen before! Cooky, too, like that black unmarked ash tray!

A
aquarj posted on Fri, Jun 8, 2012 9:46 AM

Hey Buzzy,
Always fun to see the ones you're able to find. Just for kicks, these are some of the ones I haven't seen before...

On 2012-05-17 12:57, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Schirman

Really nice sculpture in the center, and interesting to see what Schirman does with a tiki.

On 2012-05-17 12:57, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Dig the middle one, almost looks like a cathedral.

On 2011-01-10 22:42, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Another cool CJs pipe rest, I like the simple design.

-Randy

HOK

Hola Buzzy! Nice additions to the collection...My list just got a few pieces longer :)

Other/unmarked

Pacific Fine Arts Tiki carver

I think these are in the same family as the ashtray...

also unmarked... :roll: Freddie

Buzzy is the Coco king! How does he do it?

A few meager finds from the SB area.

DC

More friends found their way into my home over the last few months:

Polyart:

That one was on Da "most wanted" List for a while

Coco Joe's:

That Kalua King's pig bowl was another most wanted struck off Da list!

HIP:

Randoms:

Guams:

Maori:

I wanted the set of these guys for a while too:

They're attached to a lamp:

unmarked, but I think they were Schirman's?

I need a new list...
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2012-09-24 23:48 ]

Found one today
Posing next to bar stock to show her size...
:)

This is an amazing post. Buzzy, your collection is INSANE! I love it!

I am now the proud owner of this beautiful piece, that I have only seen one other time, and it's on this thread. I assume it's rare, from the lack of information, and lack of photos, and the fact that it's a bigger piece. I may, however, have to part with it soon, to pay for a very important life event. So if you need it in your collection, please contact me. I'd rather see it go to a good home if I have to sell her.

On 2013-04-30 12:21, Hale Tiki wrote:
This is an amazing post. Buzzy, your collection is INSANE! I love it!

One day I picked up tiki lava piece and got bit by the bug. Since then I got that fever...must...buy...lava...

I blame Freddie! When I was tiki young and impressionable, he made collecting lava look like it was the HIP and cool thing to do, and OOH! so much fun! Damn you Freddie!

That piece you got is catalog "#304 Madame Pele: The unpredictable volcano goddess of the ancient Hawaiians.Pele still exists in the minds of many today."
There were about 8-9 of those style of Coco Joe's lady/lava pieces from that era of production, done around '62. That one was the largest. the others were only 5-6".

I think I need another Holy Grail to seek out...
Buzzy Out!

HT

Hah. HIP thing to do. I see what you did there.

Also, thanks for the info!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 303 replies