Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

coco joes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 303 replies

Here are a couple HW 137 KUs with very slight differences.

The one on the right is slightly bigger, and the one I will again assume is the oldest

The mouth, chin, and nose detail differences are slight, but show them to be a different master carving source. It's a little easier to see the differences in person than it is in the pictures.

The tag on the older one has a different wording:

The other tag:

Once again, the larger one has no copyright date, and it has a large hand inscribed catalog number on the bottom

Copyright 79 and a smaller catalog number on the newer one:

And finally, a picture from ebay of an even newer version with the green tag, and the same wording as the `second tag above. It has a little darker color too.

There will always be more...
Buzzy Out!

HOK

"One more"
Looks like a brass casting, heavy, hollow cast with something rolling around inside.
Top of the head detail. Aloha, Freddie

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2007-05-24 02:42 ]

T

And finally, a picture from ebay of an even newer version with the green tag, and the same wording as the `second tag above. It has a little darker color too.

There will always be more...
Buzzy Out!

These are the guys that are being sold in places like Honolulu Airport and Waikiki, among other locations. The copyright dates are something like 90, but you can tell they're much newer, and as you noticed, Buzzy, they're darker, too. I picked up a few on a trip to Oahu last year.

Hey Josh. Here are four different CCJ's Kanaloas, each representing a different era of production. Based on the markings, size, etc, I believe they are in order from the oldest to the newest, from left to right.

As you can see, they all have slightly different shades.

Buzzy Out!

HOK

On 2007-04-24 14:09, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Freddie: Thanks for playing along. Oh da List! I feel bad for the one guy who got his eyes stolen too. Is there a black market of pilfered eyes out there?
__I think pilfered eyes are more common then you might think ...

Here are a couple variations of the Lono #109:
I will refer to the one on the right as the larger, heavier, or older version for this post. Once again, there is an obvious recarving of this piece

Variation,AliiGold#42_____________________________________________________________ The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is to look at the detailing on the top of the headress. On the newer version, the details continue all the way up the headress, while it stops at the edge of the eye on the older one

The larger one has more details on the top, as well as more defined features

The larger one has two more holes between the cheeks and headress

Upon close inspection, the bodies are entirely different:

The larger one also has one more triangle detail in the lower part of the headress

Lack of detail on the smaller one:

The bases are different too

Still more variations to come...
Buzzy Out!

Add one to Da List :) Freddie

UT

A couple of new CCJ's finds

HOK

Old Coco Joe pendant, replica of an actual Akua ka'ai image, said to be used for sorcery and found at an old factory location ..................................................

Aloha, Freddie

HOK

The oldest looking Lava Tiki in the collection, unmarked except for Hawaii on the front of base, aprox 3 1/2" tall

Lava looking back

Warrior with same type of back Aloha, Freddie

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jun 21, 2007 3:38 AM

You guys have elevated this to a level on a par with the study of real artifacts. Comparative analysis, archaeological digs, hours spent studiously poring over long-forgotten documents....I love it! So when's the next instalment?
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-06-21 03:38 ]

HOK

Right here Paipo, more lava back figures...

One of your favorites, found in the wild, really wild...
Aloha, Freddie

Okay.....Where the hell is that Coco Joe Book and who the hell is doing it??? I thought I had a half decent collection but there is just sssooooo much out there! I love this posting!! Keep them coming everyone! TabooDan

Here are some links to my Collections such as Coco Joe's, HIP, Fran Schirman, I will start working on adding my Poly Arts stuff along with additions to Joe's and other companies wares:

CoCo Joe's http://sdbirds.basiclink.com/coco_joe.htm

HIP http://sdbirds.basiclink.com/hawaiian_island_products.htm

Frank Schirman http://sdbirds.basiclink.com/frank_schirman.htm

KC Company http://sdbirds.basiclink.com/KC_Company.htm

Aloha

A
aquarj posted on Sun, Jul 8, 2007 6:03 PM

Lots of great stuff here, thanks everyone who's posting pics. Thought I'd post one today. For some reason I'm always intrigued by some of the "bastard child" ones, like this offspring in the middle below...

Both parents flanking on the left and right are HIP originals, but the one in the middle is not. Just says, "Made in Hilo Hawaii" on the bottom, and has a non-branded paper label on the back with a couple general sentences about "Temple Images".

-Randy

HOK

On 2007-07-08 18:03, aquarj wrote: For some reason I'm always intrigued by some of the "bastard child" ones, like this offspring in the middle below...

Both parents flanking on the left and right are HIP originals, but the one in the middle is not. Just says, "Made in Hilo Hawaii" on the bottom, and has a non-branded paper label on the back with a couple general sentences about "Temple Images".

-Randy

Never seen that one! Mahalo, Randy...Another bastard from Hilo (center) and Saipan
Aloha, Freddie

Part of my Coco Joes and HIP collection...

This does not include the lighters, ashtrays, napkin holders,bottle openers, letter openers, pen sets and assorted other items!

PTD, you all know by now

Nice collection of lava, dude!! What are the sizes on some of those bigger pieces..ie~Lono. thanx for postin the pix.

On 2007-07-11 19:28, FreddieBallsomic wrote:
Nice collection of lava, dude!! What are the sizes on some of those bigger pieces..ie~Lono. thanx for postin the pix.

Freddie,

Thanks for the looking...the biggest pieces are 11 1/2 to 12 inches tall!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-07-11 19:35 ]

New one direct from the Chicago area via my dad.

Never seen this one before (don't remember seeing it in this thread).

Anyone know anything about it?

OK, my bad, I just checked all 11 pages. How about these?

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and it's a blessing, not a curse)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-07-16 15:41 ]

Hey PSD. Nice collection you got there.
Here's the large lava version, the large hapawood version, and the small hapawood version of one of your pieces:

there is also an in between version with the holes in the back filled

Large lava version tag:

The pen holder tiki design was also used on these two:

Wait a couple hours and House of Ku will post the nine hundred other things this same tiki was used on that I do not have.

Speaking of Freddie, here's the zodiac pendants he posted a while back:

And I cannot tell if your double eyed guy has jeweled eyes like mine does:

bottom markings:

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-07-17 17:59 ]

Here's the filled in large version on the left. The chic on the right freaks me out.

HOK

Some info on the menehune opener
I believe the one without the rinestone eyes is older. Aloha, Freddie

On 2007-07-17 17:53, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Hey PSD. Nice collection you got there.
Here's the large lava version, the large hapawood version, and the small hapawood version of one of your pieces:

there is also an in between version with the holes in the back filled

Large lava version tag:

The pen holder tiki design was also used on these two:

Wait a couple hours and House of Ku will post the nine hundred other things this same tiki was used on that I do not have.

Speaking of Freddie, here's the zodiac pendants he posted a while back:

And I cannot tell if your double eyed guy has jeweled eyes like mine does:

bottom markings:

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-07-17 17:59 ]

Thanks for the info Buzzy and all. My opener looks exactly the same on the bottom but has no rhinestone eyes, although, one could argue they were there at one time?

One of the odder looking Coco Joes pieces anyway!

PTD

HOK

On 2007-07-16 15:25, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

How about these?

I believe this is made by Poly-Art (can't find mine to verify :)) This is modeled after an authentic figure as seen in Hawaiian Sculpture, Cox, Davenport

Aloha, Freddie

Fresh from the wilds of the North country.

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Sep 17, 2007 7:32 PM

Thought I'd give this thread a bump as I managed to score one of my "Holy Grail" lava/resin pieces this week. I haven't been adding to my collection at all except for local scores which are few and far between. The cost of getting stuff sent is just ridiculous, and the pieces I like are generally at the heavier end of the scale. I have spotted the odd menehune but they don't really do it for me. Anyway, enough whining - let's see the pics you say?

No markings underneath. The resin is a very hard and heavy white that has been stained a rich burgundy colour, like some of my NZ pieces:

I wonder if the sculptor got as much pleasure from making this as I do from looking at it? Probably.

I remember this piece being discussed in another thread - I think there was even a brass or bronze version?

HOK

Aloha Paipo, Heres the other post...

I wonder which came first?

On 2005-11-12 15:49, Kono wrote:

On 2004-01-20 01:14, aquarj wrote:
Hey Sven, as for your request, I took some pics tonite. The cool thing about the CocoJoes type stuff is that when you look at it up close, you realize how exquisite some of it really is. Same goes for many of the tikis, but this girl-in-a-shell is pretty amazing.

Two more special angles, especially for Sven...

-Randy

There was recently a piece on ebay that looked just like this one except in brass:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7720798164&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I saved the pics since the auction will eventually disappear:

Freddie

Nice find Pipe-o!

Does anyone have a Coco Joe's catalog that they would either like to sell me or that they would let me borrow to make some scans? I have a page on my website dedicated to my meager but growing Coco Joe's collection and I'd like to include some pages from old catalogs.

Time for some more variations:

Three versions of HW 26: Lono Tiki Set

These differ in the background. The older one has a tooled background, while the second version is faux wood patterned

This one had the same catalog number, but has a different tiki and setting

Marks

Tag

Three versions of 278: Hawaii Tiki pen holder

Just like the other pen holder-same tiki, different background

The other version has a parallelogram shape

Tags

King Kamehameha: Lava 303 and HW 136

Two different carvings for 303. The first picture in each pair is the older version

Different lava patterns on the backs

Will the real King K please stand up

One of these guys has a gym membership

Feet are in different positions

Marks

Tag

The hapawood version has a different stock number: HW 136

There is also a hapawood version of the newer lava piece

I'm guessing this is a recent reproduction or newly made CCJ's version.

Buzzy Out!

K

Buzzy - that last Hapawood figure is mine; it doesn't have a date on it, and unfortunately the label is gone, but it does have the "Coco Joe's Made in Hawaii" logo deeply incised on the underside of the base. I don't think it's one of the repros - just a very late original.

It seems like some of the older pieces were recarved or reconfigured as they were used in either the Hapawood or Lava version. They also had, in many cases, different catalog numbers.

Here is an example of HW 17 and #297:

For other pieces produced throughout the years, they just used the same lava style mold for both types. In most cases, the catalog numbers were identical.

Here are some examples of pieces that appear to be originally conceived as lava pieces, but were also produced as hapawood pieces at some time.

#110 Ku

#152 Happy Tiki God

#43 Kanaloa

#123 Alii Lono

#145 Hang Loose Ashtray

Koolau:Does the actual color of your piece appear pale like in your picture, or does it look more the colors in my pictures?

Buzzy Out!

HOK

Hola Buzzy! Another variation of the older style King K on the right.

Different base, no string for the cape, with nipples and space between the foot and spear. :lol:

Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

K
Koolau posted on Sat, Mar 1, 2008 8:16 AM

Yea - that color is about right; I shouldn't have written it was hapawood, because it's more yellow than brown. I'll take some more photos today when the sun comes up.

I'd like to take a closer look at the modern Coco Joe's reproductions, but the only place I've seen them is inside the terminal at the airport.

K
Koolau posted on Sun, Mar 2, 2008 7:30 PM

Here's more images of my yellow/golden King Kamehameha:

Front:

Close-up:

Back:

Bubbly lava, similar to the one posted above, but with smaller bubbles.

Here's the incised Coco Joe's logo on the bottom:

HOK

On 2008-03-02 19:30, Koolau wrote:
Here's more images of my yellow/golden King Kamehameha:

Close-up:

Here's the incised Coco Joe's logo on the bottom:

Aloha Koolau! Looks like a vintage piece, just unusual color. The Hapawoods were cast in this mustard color and stained with a darker color to define and give depth to the contours.

You can see the color difference better where it chipped due to poor Ebay packing. :(

The new generation of CCJ is cast with white/light resin and stained with a different color. It looks like they are slowly adding more new knockoffs and I thought they started reproducing the large King Kamehameha with your post. Thank goodness yours looks vintage.

Here is a sample of the new generation that is available at the Stadium FleaMarket.

In case you want to compare quality , the stall is on the outside row in 14-D.

The other deciding factor is that your King has nipples. It looks like they were allowed until they were deemed offensive and disappeared altogether. Here is a vintage factory plastercast with the offending appendages removed, circa 1987 :lol:

Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

HOK

Double post :)

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2008-03-03 04:01 ]

K
Koolau posted on Mon, Mar 3, 2008 3:41 AM

Thanks for the info, Freddie - I'll check out those repros. Always good to be able to recognize what's new. More than once I've made an amazing vintage ceramic find, only to see the same item two weeks later at Ross.

That sculpt is very cool.

UT

I found this piece the other day. Coco Joe ? or Nogo Joe ? The quality of the cast is really bad and I don't see a mark on it any where. Any ideas? Thanks.

On 2008-04-05 06:42, uncle trav wrote:
I found this piece the other day. Coco Joe ? or Nogo Joe ? The quality of the cast is really bad and I don't see a mark on it any where. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hola Uncle Trav:

That'd be a Poly Art piece. Here's the lava version of yours and a few other similar pieces:

Most of the Polyart stuff I've seen is unmarked. Occasionally, you'll find one with a sticker on it:

Take care,
Buzzy Out!

Thanks Buzzy. I knew you would have the answer. Thanks for the help.

I already posted this in Tiki Finds, but I noticed this piece hadn't been posted here before. My first Coco Joe:

Bigbrotiki says:
"Ooooh, nice one, not too common, I just gave Gecko the catalog that had that in it. Pele in her lava bath, holding the cork ball on which to knock the ashes out of your pipe. Beautiful!"
Which made me feel kind of warm and fuzzy inside :wink:

M

I made a couple of nice CCJ finds today:

Menehunes playing uke and reclining:

Tiki boat ashtray/cupholder. This had the 3 sake cups in it when I bought it, but I'm sure that's not what was in it originally. Anybody know what was really supposed to go in it (other than your dead ciggy butts)?

On 2008-04-07 18:20, MrBaliHai wrote:
I made a couple of nice CCJ finds today:

Menehune playing uke

Anybody know what was really supposed to go in it (other than your dead ciggy butts)?

Here's a variation of your #257: Ipo the Lover Boy

Here they are side by side

This is the one I see most often:

Here's the variation that I almost passed on because I thought I already had it:

He has the same head as #219 He-Haku Ka-Ao: the teller of tales

A flower was added to the side of the head on the Ipo version

Tag :

Bottom:

The Royal Canoe came with jelly:

Buzzy Out!

Buzzy, thanks for the info. My Ipo figurine is missing the sticker on the back. I'm guessing that the canoe's previous owner finished off the jelly and since he/she was a non-smoker, stuck the sake cups in it instead of using it as an ashtray.

HOK

Outstanding work Lava Detective Buzzy! One less question off Da books. That old sales catalog is Tits(TotallyIsTheShit) :lol:

BrandoMoai...Awesome ashtray...that ones still on the wish list, mahalo for posting.

Detective Buzzy, More Poly-art babies for your case files...

Those Blue Hawaiian Sculptures were won ebay a few years ago and I'm not sure if the seller tried to clean them with some kind of solvent or citrus based cleaner, because they are still a little tacky to the touch. The bottoms of the pieces are dry and hard. To make matters worse, the seller had wrapped the pair individually in toilet paper first when packing. I was happy to get them, until I unwrapped the box and dug to the bottom to find two mummy looking creatures. I took off the unstuck paper and had to moisten the remainder and use tweesers for most of the balance. Still some left.:evil:

Is this the Holy Grail to the Schirman/Poly-Art Cross Over...?

DUUNT DUUNT DUUNNNNN :lol:

Freddie :tiki:

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2008-04-17 17:25 ]

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2008-04-17 17:28 ]

Picked up this CcJ's King Kamehameha I for $8 in Hastings, Minnesota last weekend.

I didn't see this in the Coco Joe's cannon so I thought I'd chime in, it's from a paperback touristy book titled All About Hawaii. It sure would make a great full sized poster.

HOK

Nice picture....This was also the cover from one of their catalogs...Similar background lava was also used for their Poster Girl shot...little seen CCJ nudity :o

Aloha, Freddie :o

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 303 replies